• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disagree here, next year is the perfect year for Sinnoh to be remade, it's two anniversaries being celebrated at the same time. It's especially fitting to remake a game that goes so much in detail about the concepts of time and space of the Pokemon world.
It would be massively disrespectful to all the other gens.
Why do you think that? And why are this gen's mechanics 'intense'?
Unlike Megas and Z-Moves, which can be done anywhere, Dynamaxing can only be done in specific locations, namely Power Spots and Max Raid Dens. The Gym Challenge would have to be completely changed to match Galar's, as I don't think that they would restrict the main mechanic of the gen to the postgame, as that would be bad marketing.

Unlike Megas and Z-Moves, which can be done anywhere, Dynamaxing can only be done in specific locations, namely Power Spots and Max Raid Dens. The Gym Challenge would have to be completely changed to match Galar's, as I don't think that they would restrict the main mechanic of the gen to the postgame, as that would be bad marketing.
The usage of Dynamaxing was already pretty scarce in the main story. It doesn't matter, at all, if the gyms don't have it.

Also, they don't base their game development on their anniversaries. It's just extra coverage.

How would that be disrespectful to other gens? Do you consider the overabundance of Kanto references in Alola disrespectful or the fact that another Kanto game came out after said games having overabundance of said references?

How would that be disrespectful to other gens? Do you consider the overabundance of Kanto references in Alola disrespectful or the fact that another Kanto game came out after said games having overabundance of said references?
It would put too much focus on Sinnoh and treat Gen 4 like it's the only good gen and the only one worth celebrating. I honestly expect no new main series games next year.

It would put too much focus on Sinnoh and treat Gen 4 like it's the only good gen and the only one worth celebrating. I honestly expect no new main series games next year.
They could also, like, you know, treat the remake like a 'gift' to the fanbase. One of several, seeing how a few more games will release next year (Snap, Unite, etc.). Games are not the only thing; They've lots of merchandise, as well, focused on other parts of the franchise.

A remake would put the focus on Pokémon gaming first, Sinnoh second.

Kanto deserves that treatment, as we wouldn't have any other Pokemon games without Red & Green.

The younger generations don't even have that same connection to Kanto, but stronger affiliations to other regions.
They could thanks in part to LGPE, the VC releases, and GF's massive push towards Kanto pandering, which may have been a response to many players complaining about being forced to use only new Pokemon in BW.

They could thanks in part to LGPE, the VC releases, and GF's massive push towards Kanto pandering, which may have been a response to many players complaining about being forced to use only new Pokemon in BW.
Different than the first games of a new generation in a new region, which usually has most of the focus.

I see pupils of mine having more affinity towards Kalos, for example.

Because we've never considered the possibility of a remake being released in a major anniversary year before.
Just because there was never a possibility doesn't mean it can't happen now. A remake can still come out in a major anniversary year.

Except it wouldn't celebrate it properly, as it would only celebrate one piece of the franchise rather than all of it.
We're running in circles.

Each new generation IS the franchise. It's not just a part.

Also, the celebrations can easily be done outside of a game:

Point is, the anniversary has nothing to do with their release-schedule regarding videogames. There are a billion ways to celebrate it, it doesn't have to be with a game, at all. As it's never been the case. Some in-game events would be more than logical.

Does that matter? You're still catching the same species. Mewtwo and the Legendary Birds were still available in Ultra Wormholes.

I disagree with like 99% of Riley's other points but I will maintain this one, simply because as always, I think that trying to lump LGPE in with Gen 7 for the sake of neat and tidy fandom lists, rather than treating it like the unique case that it is, is kind of misguided.

Compatibility, and giving new players an opportunity to catch old Legendary Pokémon, is very much a factor in why they make certain Legendaries available. Being able to catch the birds and Mewtwo in USUM doesn't mean anything to someone who's picking up LGPE as their first Pokémon game, which can be the case for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that LGPE were marketed heavily at people who play Pokémon GO and not so much at main series devotees. It also doesn't really mean much to someone who did play USUM, because the games are on entirely separate systems and the Pokémon cannot be used in any comparable way. You won't be using your USUM Zapdos for Link Battles in LGPE, plus there's the fact of their drastically different movepools between games (not to mention the differences in how stats are calculated in USUM vs LGPE). An LGPE Zapdos is going to handle quite differently because its options are far more limited, and the metagame of LGPE as a whole is far less diverse. It puts the Pokémon in an entirely different gameplay context.

With Crown Tundra and DP remakes, I think it's a different ballgame, because they would be on the same system, and the Pokémon would be compatible from one game to the other. To me, this raises an entirely different question: Would doing very similar quests to obtain certain Legendaries across both games seem too repetitive to people who have already played the Crown Tundra DLC? There is a part of me that thinks so, but at the same time, I do wonder if I'm overthinking it. It's as I said above, with the matter of availability - the DP remakes are still going to be some peoples' first-ever games, or other peoples' first games in a long time if they maybe have nostalgic memories of DP but haven't played much of the series in recent years. Those people certainly would appreciate having access to these Legendaries. And, I have to admit that I keep thinking more about that point that I raised in my previous post - it would be useful to people who bought SwSh but didn't go for the DLC for whatever reason. Maybe there's more to that than I would first assume. I am loathe to use the term "paywall" in this situation, but technically, all of the Regis and Sinnohan Legendaries in SwSh are a bonus that you pay extra for, outside of the base game. DP remakes would include them natively, so maybe that is enough of a difference to justify it. (I am reminded of Pokémon GO, and how they will sometimes host paid events that allow people to gain early access to certain Pokémon that eventually get rolled out to everyone else for varying degrees of "free" later on.)

That is, if any justifying reason is even needed, of course. I've fretted a few times about how CT preempted the Legendaries that would be included in DP remakes, noting that it's a level of redundancy we haven't seen before, but well... that's the thing, is we haven't been in this precise situation before, so we don't know exactly how Game Freak would approach it. Maybe for them, the potential for overlap is not considered an issue at all.

Last edited:
I disagree with like 99% of Riley's other points but I will maintain this one, simply because as always, I think that trying to lump LGPE in with Gen 7 for the sake of neat and tidy fandom lists, rather than treating it like the unique case that it is, is kind of misguided.

Compatibility, and giving new players an opportunity to catch old Legendary Pokémon, is very much a factor in why they make certain Legendaries available. Being able to catch the birds and Mewtwo in USUM doesn't mean anything to someone who's picking up LGPE as their first Pokémon game, which can be the case for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that LGPE were marketed heavily at people who play Pokémon GO and not so much at main series devotees. It also doesn't really mean much to someone who did play USUM, because the games are on entirely separate systems and the Pokémon cannot be used in any comparable way. You won't be using your USUM Zapdos for Link Battles in LGPE, plus there's the fact of their drastically different movepools between games (not to mention the differences in how stats are calculated in USUM vs LGPE). An LGPE Zapdos is going to handle quite differently because its options are far more limited, and the metagame of LGPE as a whole is far less diverse. It puts the Pokémon in an entirely different gameplay context.

With Crown Tundra and DP remakes, I think it's a different ballgame, because they would be on the same system, and the Pokémon would be compatible from one game to the other. To me, this raises an entirely different question: Would doing very similar quests to obtain certain Legendaries across both games seem too repetitive to people who have already played the Crown Tundra DLC? There is a part of me that thinks so, but at the same time, I do wonder if I'm overthinking it. It's as I said above, with the matter of availability - the DP remakes are still going to be some peoples' first-ever games, or other peoples' first games in a long time if they maybe have nostalgic memories of DP but haven't played much of the series in recent years. Those people certainly would appreciate having access to these Legendaries. And, I have to admit that I keep thinking more about that point that I raised in my previous post - it would be useful to people who bought SwSh but didn't go for the DLC for whatever reason. Maybe there's more to that than I would first assume. I am loathe to use the term "paywall" in this situation, but technically, all of the Regis and Sinnohan Legendaries in SwSh are a bonus that you pay extra for, outside of the base game. DP remakes would include them natively, so maybe that is enough of a difference to justify it. (I am reminded of Pokémon GO, and how they will sometimes host paid events that allow people to gain early access to certain Pokémon that eventually get rolled out to everyone else for varying degrees of "free" later on.)

That is, if any justifying reason is even needed, of course. I've fretted a few times about how CT preempted the Legendaries that would be included in DP remakes, noting that it's a level of redundancy we haven't seen before, but well... that's the thing, is we haven't been in this precise situation before, so we don't know exactly how Game Freak would approach it. Maybe for them, the potential for overlap is not considered an issue at all.
Very good point, and you're correct. I do think the potential overlap doesn't matter, because the games are not all about the legendaries, and some of its mythicals might be obtainable the same way Deoxys was in ORAS. But that's obviously just speculation on my part.

Anyway, we haven't been in this specific situation before. On that I agree as well. Also, I personally don't really count LGPE as gen 7 games, they're kind of an outlayer. I just forgot about its compatibility, or lack thereoff, with USUM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom