• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would disagree with this, personally. It’s definitely subjective, mind you, but I would argue that a Wild Area is more thematically in-line with Gen 8 concepts while a Go Park more-so aligns with LG.
If what you mean is that Pal Park is an area with special rules that a Wild Area wouldn’t really have, I’d point to the Hoenn Safari Zone’s overhaul as a precedent for them retconning certain areas to simply being a new place to explore rather than a mini-game.

When I said I felt like it fits more thematically, I meant in regards to both Pal Park and GO Park sharing the same function of transferring over Pokemon (from Gen 3/GO) and having to find & recatch them across the area.

Though I will say @Esserise idea sounds like a nice alternative

(Fun fact: Aside from Darumaka, Yamask, and Stunfisk for obvious reasons, every Pokémon that currently has a regional form can be found in Sinnoh through some method or another.)

I'm pretty sure Sinnoh had almost every pokemon available through some method or another. Though quite a few of them required a GBA game inserted into your DS.

I'm pretty sure Sinnoh had almost every pokemon available through some method or another. Though quite a few of them required a GBA game inserted into your DS.
Yup. Between Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum every Pokémon was available barring the starters and most legendary Pokémon from other regions.

I had completely forgotten you could get pretty much every Pokémon in the Sinnoh games via Poké Radar, swarms, the Trophy Garden, and the GBA slot. Admittedly, some of these methods weren't exactly convenient, but if you look at it that way, technically there wasn't really a reason for HeartGold/SoulSilver PokéDex-wise and we got them anyway. On the other hand, if you look at the available Pokémon in gen. 3 and 6, you could more or less predict the remakes.

And now in gen. 8, things are different yet again because thanks to Dexit, we don't really know how much of an argument the availability of Pokémon really is at this point. I still think we're definitely going to get those remakes next year.

I had completely forgotten you could get pretty much every Pokémon in the Sinnoh games via Poké Radar, swarms, the Trophy Garden, and the GBA slot. Admittedly, some of these methods weren't exactly convenient, but if you look at it that way, technically there wasn't really a reason for HeartGold/SoulSilver PokéDex-wise and we got them anyway. On the other hand, if you look at the available Pokémon in gen. 3 and 6, you could more or less predict the remakes.

And now in gen. 8, things are different yet again because thanks to Dexit, we don't really know how much of an argument the availability of Pokémon really is at this point. I still think we're definitely going to get those remakes next year.
Legendaries and some starters were hard to get in DPPt, though.

Legendaries and some starters were hard to get in DPPt, though.

Not just "hard to get," these Pokémon aren't available in DP or Platinum in any capacity:

- Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle lines
- Mewtwo
- Chikorita, Cyndaquil, and Totodile lines
- Raikou, Entei, Suicune
- Lugia, Ho-Oh
- Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip lines
- Latias, Latios
- Kyogre, Groudon Rayquaza

And indeed, HGSS took care of all of those.

Also, I'm not so sure that XY's selection of Pokémon really presaged the existence of Hoenn remakes. Mega Blaziken getting a headstart and the Mega Eon duo being in the code, sure, but Kalos had all but a few of Hoenn's Pokémon included natively, be it within the Kalos Pokédex, through the Friend Safari, or in the case of Lileep and Anorith, version-exclusive post-game fossils. The only Hoenn Pokémon not available in some way were:

- Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip lines (although Torchic got the early purchase event distribution)
- Slakoth line
- Baltoy line
- Feebas line
- Castform
- Regirock, Regice, Registeel
- Latias, Latios
- Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza

A second Kalos game could have taken care of those just as easily. Plus, the appearance of Hoopa rings to access all the missing Legendaries would have frankly made more sense in a Kalos game than a Hoenn one, seeing as Hoopa was a Gen 6 Mythical. (Not to mention how Volcanion was also teased ahead of time in XY as having a role in old Kalosian traditions. ORAS sort of papered over this by letting you view old tapes where Pyramid King Brandon tracks Volcanion down and has near-miss encounters with it in several different regions.)

All in all, XY were actually missing the most from Sinnoh and Unova. In terms of individual species, there were:

- 7 Kantonian Pokémon left out (Rattata line, Meowth line, Koffing line, Porygon)
- 18 Johtonian Pokémon left out (Starters, Misdreavus, Unown, Porygon2, Stantler, Legendaries)
- 25 Hoennian Pokémon left out (listed above)
- 30 Sinnohan Pokémon left out (Starters, Kricketot line, Cherubi line, Buneary line, Mismagius, Glameow line, Finneon line, Porygon-Z, Legendaries)
- 32 Unovan Pokémon left out (Starters, Cottonee line, Darumaka line, Yamask line, Frillish line, Tynamo line, Elgyem line, Bouffalant, Legendaries)

Furthermore, the only non-Gen 3 family from that pool that appears in the Hoenn Pokédex is the Koffing line.

* Note: For everything above, I largely ignored Mythical Pokémon, since they've got no bearing on Pokédex inclusion either way.

Is it silly to be excited for the return of Pokemarts? I've never really been happy with pokemon centers and pokemarts being combined into one building.

No it isn't silly. I also prefer to see the Mart as a spearate building.
I was sad when playing Moon to see that the Centers were still united with Marts and had also the Café...:confused_emoji: What's next? Gyms in the back of the Centers? :rolleyes:

Edit: I go to Youtube and some videos about rumours for 2021 appear and I don't care one bit, first because I'm tired of every youtuber having a rumour every week and secondly because I don't care anymore about GF and the Pkmn franchise as it is and yet...I still like to come to this very thread and it seems I'm not the only one. Is this a mere sign of nostalgia and wanting to know if, what and how will Gen. IV remakes exist and be made or does it go deeper as a sign that newer games aren't good enough compared to older games!? Curious.

Last edited:
I don't expect the remakes to include every species that was available in the original's post game because of Dexit. And that wouldn't be unprecedented either, there's multiple Pokemon from Emerald that weren't available in ORAS:

-Hoothoot/Noctowl
-Ledyba/Ledian
-Mareep/Flaafy/Ampharos
-Sudowoodo
-Wooper
-Gligar
-Snubbull/Granbull
-Shuckle
-Teddiursa/Ursaring
-Houndour/Houndoom
-Smeargle
-Miltank

I expect they'll just cut the dongle method (and maybe swarms) and shuffle around the availability to distribute the remaining Pokemon not in SwSh throughout the game and there's similarly going to be some Pokemon that were available in DPPt's post game that won't be available in the remakes. I fully expect all 210 Pokemon from Platinum's Sinnoh Dex to make the cut though.

There is a guy on Twitter who has spilled the beans on the Nintendo 2021 line-up. If he is speaking the truth, we'll see both the gamebundle and gen 4 remakes next year. With the latter being announced after february. And a Let's Go sequel in 2022.

The guy has predicted things before, but I'm not certain, obviously.

There is a guy on Twitter who has spilled the beans on the Nintendo 2021 line-up. If he is speaking the truth, we'll see both the gamebundle and gen 4 remakes next year. With the latter being announced after february. And a Let's Go sequel in 2022.

We should take it with a grain of salt. Sometimes, he may gets the predictions wrong.

That sounds too good to be true, even though I would really love it to be true since it would give Gen 9 more development time and a better chance for it to be on the next Nintendo console rather than the Switch. As much as I love the Switch, I think working for a future system after Gen 8 is done when the console isn't even announced would be best for Pokemon right now since they have so much more time to make the first games a lot more polished.

That sounds too good to be true, even though I would really love it to be true since it would give Gen 9 more development time and a better chance for it to be on the next Nintendo console rather than the Switch. As much as I love the Switch, I think working for a future system after Gen 8 is done when the console isn't even announced would be best for Pokemon right now since they have so much more time to make the first games a lot more polished.
Agreed, but he might not information about gen 9 yet if he's talking the truth.

But I obviously agree that we should take this with a grain of salt, even though he has been right on things before.

Both Sinnoh remakes AND another Let's Go all before gen. 9 seems a bit much, but then again, he did correctly predict quite some stuff, most notably Rescue Team DX and Link's Awakening...

I mean, i highly doubt we get a collection in the same year as a gen 4 remake, unless the collection doesn't include Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, since including those in the collection, pretty much makes the remakes redundant and the other way around is also the case.

As I have said before, it would be too time-consuming just to port DS and 3DS Pokemon games to the Switch since all main series Pokemon games that used two screens would need to be reworked heavily for one screen because of heavy integrations such as menus and such. This might also cause bugs to exist which is a thing that Pokemon is definitely trying to avoid.

I just expect the collection to just be from the Game Boy, Game Boy Color and, Game Boy Advance Pokemon games since those only used one screen and thus, they are the easiest to port. The Mario 3D collection is basically the same thing, even Galaxy since joycons can be used both for motion controls and separately from the Switch itself, thus mimicking the Wii.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's very unlikely considering Game Freak's behavior nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom