• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also consider Magnitude and Psywave redundant since they don't have any secondary effects compared to other moves of the same type. Magnitude use to be somewhat useful before Bulldoze was created, but Psywave was always redundant.
What? You mean you don't love a move with a bizarre formula for damage calculation? :p

I'll actually contest you on Aromatherapy, I feel like the flavor text is at least meaningful to the design of the Pokemon- I can't see Chimecho suddenly gaining the ability to emit scents, or Paras getting the ability to ring like a bell, so I think it's worth getting the ability and still keeping the concepts distinct, similar to Sharpen vs Howl or Glare vs Stun Spore. (Of course, it helps that Aromatherapy could easily just re-use Sweet Scent's animation, so there'd be no complaint about developing resources for it)

And I think the benefit of Bestow would be being able to pass on a negative item without risking picking up one yourself, so I can see the option being useful, but definitely agree on Switcharoo and Trick.

I'd like to throw in:
  • Spider Web, which does the same thing that Block and Mean Look do. Maybe if there was more spiders too cute to be threatening, but I think every Pokemon that learns it could also Mean Look a Pokemon in place.
  • Lovely Kiss. Jynx is Psychic, just give it Hypnosis.
  • Leer and Tail Whip could be combined into one or the other, I don't care which
  • Detect. There's no point in it.

I'll actually contest you on Aromatherapy, I feel like the flavor text is at least meaningful to the design of the Pokemon

Oh yeah, for sure. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a bad thing necessarily; I'm just bad at completing my thoughts.

And I think the benefit of Bestow would be being able to pass on a negative item without risking picking up one yourself, so I can see the option being useful, but definitely agree on Switcharoo and Trick.

That would be the case if Bestow had been able to force an existing item off the opponent, but it can only be used on an opponent without an item. But if the opponent has no item, then there's also no risk to using trick/switcheroo because the latter will do the same thing in that scenario. My next thought was that you might want to use Bestow on your second Pokemon in a Double battle in which case I think only Tropius and Exeggcutor are able to take advantage of this by Bestowing Sitrus Berries to heal your other pokemon and then Harvesting them back. (Am I thinking about that correctly?).

That would be the case if Bestow had been able to force an existing item off the opponent, but it can only be used on an opponent without an item. But if the opponent has no item, then there's also no risk to using trick/switcheroo because the latter will do the same thing in that scenario.
THAT'S SO STUPID WHY IS GAME FREAK SO WILD
My next thought was that you might want to use Bestow on your second Pokemon in a Double battle in which case I think only Tropius and Exeggcutor are able to take advantage of this by Bestowing Sitrus Berries to heal your other pokemon and then Harvesting them back. (Am I thinking about that correctly?).
If you aren't, I don't think anyone would be able to correct you, because I would never be able to dream up a play like that. You've found the one good use for Bestow ever!

Week after week of fake leaks until we get some info. Then the fake leaks will continue using different contexts.

Give me february 27th.

If the Diamond and Pearl remakes can bring back the National Dex, (and it should be easier to just keep all of the Pokémon in the code copied from Sword and Shield while just making the Sinnoh map, humans and the missing 234 Pokémon from scratch) I think they should make the National Dex a part of the advertising campaign just to win back fans who cancelled their Sword and Shield pre-orders over the Dexit controversy. That could give the Sinnoh remakes more emphasis on "Gotta Catch 'em All!" if you remember how the National Dex was obtained in the original games.

If the Diamond and Pearl remakes can bring back the National Dex, (and it should be easier to just keep all of the Pokémon in the code copied from Sword and Shield while just making the Sinnoh map, humans and the missing 234 Pokémon from scratch) I think they should make the National Dex a part of the advertising campaign just to win back fans who cancelled their Sword and Shield pre-orders over the Dexit controversy. That could give the Sinnoh remakes more emphasis on "Gotta Catch 'em All!" if you remember how the National Dex was obtained in the original games.

They aren't bringing the National Dex back.

They aren't bringing the National Dex back.
Well, we'll see about that. Just look at how many Pokémon were brought back through the DLC. Game Freak may have wimped out at E3 2019, but how can you remake Sinnoh without the National Dex? That's like remaking Johto without Kanto. All they needed to do was import some extra Pokémon from Sun and Moon. If they don't bring back the National Dex for the Sinnoh remakes, the PR is going to be a lot worse for those games than Sword and Shield. People would take note of the Sinnoh Pokémon that weren't in their own Dex and worry about those remakes being incomplete. That is going to be really bad if fans are going to worry that Heatran, Electivire, Cresselia, Tangrowth, Magmortar, Darkrai, Regigigas, Giratina, etc. aren't going to exist in the remakes of their native region. While I want all those Pokémon in the remakes' Sinnoh Dex even with the National Dex coming back, I would still want the National Dex in the remakes. Sword and Shield's code should be easy enough to build the remakes. They don't even have to change the battles that much in the same generation.

Look, they can bring the National Dex back in Sword and Shield earlier in a future update.

Last edited:
how can you remake Sinnoh without the National Dex? That's like remaking Johto without Kanto.
Not really. Sinnoh was already made without Pokemon from gens 5-8, it's not like they're missing something that was in the original game if they leave them out.
Look, they can bring the National Dex back in Sword and Shield earlier in a future update.
But they said that they wouldn't. And after two DLCs without adding the whole dex, I don't see why they'd put in even more work to do something they said they wouldn't.

Well, we'll see about that. Just look at how many Pokémon were brought back through the DLC. Game Freak may have wimped out at E3 2019, but how can you remake Sinnoh without the National Dex? That's like remaking Johto without Kanto. All they needed to do was import some extra Pokémon from Sun and Moon. If they don't bring back the National Dex for the Sinnoh remakes, the PR is going to be a lot worse for those games than Sword and Shield. People would take note of the Sinnoh Pokémon that weren't in their own Dex and worry about those remakes being incomplete. That is going to be really bad if fans are going to worry that Heatran, Electivire, Cresselia, Tangrowth, Magmortar, Darkrai, Regigigas, Giratina, etc. aren't going to exist in the remakes of their native region. While I want all those Pokémon in the remakes' Sinnoh Dex even with the National Dex coming back, I would still want the National Dex in the remakes. Sword and Shield's code should be easy enough to build the remakes. They don't even have to change the battles that much in the same generation.

I'd imagine they'll have all those Pokemon you mentioned in those games along with Pikachu and the Pikaclones, the Eeveeloutions along with some others that were not in Sword and Shield.

but how can you remake Sinnoh without the National Dex? That's like remaking Johto without Kanto
That's not even a close comparison in my opinion. Kanto was integral to GSC and played a significant part of the games considering it was the whole entire postgame, and the Johto level curve played up to that methinks. If Kanto was not present in HGSS, there would clearly be something missing. The National Dex, on the other hand, does not play that much of a part in Sinnoh. I doubt there would be a drastic difference if the National Dex was removed and the missing Pokémon were swapped out with 'mons from the regional Pokédex in the postgame, the Pokémon radar cut entirely, etc.
If they don't bring back the National Dex for the Sinnoh remakes, the PR is going to be a lot worse for those games than Sword and Shield.
Even if the outrage is greater for these hypothetical Sinnoh remakes, I highly doubt that will translate to actual meaningful financial pain. LGPE were controversial and sold well. SwSh had even greater backlash and controversy and sold more copies than LGPE did.
People would take note of the Sinnoh Pokémon that weren't in their own Dex and worry about those remakes being incomplete. That is going to be really bad if fans are going to worry that Heatran, Electivire, Cresselia, Tangrowth, Magmortar, Darkrai, Regigigas, Giratina, etc. aren't going to exist in the remakes of their native region.
I figure Pokémon that originated in Sinnoh would be implemented in the games regardless of whether or not the National Dex comes back. I highly doubt GameFreak would not include Giratina or Cresselia, for example, in their debut region--they're not that inflexible.

I don’t think it’s impossible that they will go back on Dexit, but I think it’s extremely unlikely. If you’re expecting it to be undone, you are likely setting yourself up for disappointment. They stated that no future game would feature every Pokémon. I see no reason for them to make that statement only to retract it one game later.

I expect if the DP remakes come they'll (obviously) add all the missing Sinnoh mon and I imagine they won't remove anything already in Sword/Shield unless they overhaul the models or something similar, but I don't expect the rest to be added.

They did initially say they weren't adding missing ones to Sw/Sh then backtracked so it's possible Dexit will go away but I very strongly advise against expecting it.

I won't expect Dexit going away for the pure fact that learn sets change constantly throughout the series. Now yes, learn sets did change without the removal of Pokemon before, it's impossible to change learn sets for every single Pokemon in a short amount of time unless you have a huge group dedicated to the task, and even if you do have that big group, the chances for it to happen for all Pokemon within one set of games are slim to none.

Well, IF they bring back the National Dex for Sinnoh and backtrack everything they said at E3 2019, do you think they should use the return of the National Dex for their advertising campaign?

Sure, they could expand the Sinnoh Dex to add all the Pokémon missing from Galar, but when I looked at what Pokémon missing from Galar that's in the Sinnoh Dex, the Sinnoh Dex Pokémon are quite the minority, meaning if they were all added in, it would go way past the limit I want for the Sinnoh Dex, which is 251, a reference to how many Pokémon that were in Johto. And really, the Sinnoh Dex just needs the seven missing Sinnoh Legendaries, the Regis for Regigigas and new evolutions such as Sylveon. You can add some Unovan, Kalos, and Alolan Pokémon not in Galar to fill in the spaces to bump the number to 251, and maybe some Fire-types like Darmanitan to help build Flint's team. But I don't want the Sinnoh Dex to be unnecessarily big, especially with the challenge to see all the Pokémon. I like seeing a Dex that can be completed just by battling all the trainers, and if there's over 400 Pokémon in the regional Dex, that would be a lot of new trainers squeezed into a tiny region, while if there's only 40 new Pokémon in the Dex, they can alter just a few Trainers' teams to make sure the new Pokémon can be seen somewhere. They can give Flint a Heatran if they really needed Stark Mountain to be post-game. Replace a few commonly used Pokémon with one of the additional Pokémon. And starters should be only used by rival characters: Barry, Lucas/Dawn, and a new girl who uses the starter weak against yours while Lucas and Dawn would be using your starter as an in-joke to when they realized they could have picked the same starter as you in the original game, whether than the one weak against you that they always ended up getting. That way, with three rivals, no regular trainers would need starters for players who don't evolve their own. Also, let's give somebody an Unown. If I remember correctly, Unown was only found wild in the Solaceon Ruins. It doesn't matter which letter the trainer uses when one Unown is enough for an entry.

Sure, maybe they won't end up filling up our Pokédex with every trainer happening to have all the Pokémon we need, but they totally owe me a complete Sinnoh Pokédex that allows me to start the National Dex clear of all blanks between Turtwig and Arceus. I can't get Regigigas in Diamond or Platinum because my DSi lacks a GBA slot, and I can't get Phione because it's a Mythical just like the three Pokémon beyond Manaphy in the Pokédex.

But if the remakes were to end up like how I wanted them, do you think they should do a big National Dex Catch Em All trailer and base all the commercials around it?

Also the point about Kanto integral to Gold, Silver and Crystal, I don't see why they shouldn't move the Pokémon League to Mt. Silver and retcon Routes 26-28 to being Johto routes if they wanted to remake Gold and Silver without Kanto. I bet a lot of people thought of that before Kanto was confirmed for HGSS, haven't they?

They stated that no future game would feature every Pokémon. I see no reason for them to make that statement only to retract it one game later.
To be fair, they also said that they had no plans to add Pokemon back into the game, and they said this while they were literally developing a DLC pack which brings a lot of Pokemon back.

And they said they cut those Pokémon to work on the animations and models from scratch, but everyone who looked into the coding and extracted the files found that they've been imported from Ultra Sun and Moon with just their textures different and the models only slightly fixed. Even before the games came out, people have noticed from the trailers that they are the same models. Hop's talking animation even copied Hau's. Basically, don't take their words from E3 2019 because or anything about Dexit at face value because #GameFreakLied. They really had no excuse for cutting so many Pokémon out but to make them available in DLC islands and laziness. The only way they can make up for their dishonesty is if they bring back the National Dex in the Diamond and Pearl remakes. Sure, it turns another fact about Dexit into a lie, but who even wants what Dexit promised? I just want the Platinum Pokédex expanded to include the Sinnoh legendaries it still missed. I don't want it cluttered with a bunch of Pokémon that would have otherwise be trapped at HOME. I want compatibility between the Sinnoh remakes and Home, Sword/Shield, Let's Go, and Go to be activated at Pal Park after the National Dex is obtained after seeing every Pokémon in Sinnoh. Just like how FireRed and LeafGreen needed the Sevii Island quest to connect to Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Colosseum and XD.

To be fair, they also said that they had no plans to add Pokemon back into the game, and they said this while they were literally developing a DLC pack which brings a lot of Pokemon back.
Hmm maybe I’m remembering wrong, but I thought they said they had no plans to add all Pokémon back into the game. They do tend to make ambiguous statements that could be interpreted in various ways for the sake of PR talk so who knows.
And they said they cut those Pokémon to work on the animations and models from scratch, but everyone who looked into the coding and extracted the files found that they've been imported from Ultra Sun and Moon with just their textures different and the models only slightly fixed. Even before the games came out, people have noticed from the trailers that they are the same models. Hop's talking animation even copied Hau's. Basically, don't take their words from E3 2019 because or anything about Dexit at face value because #GameFreakLied. They really had no excuse for cutting so many Pokémon out but to make them available in DLC islands and laziness. The only way they can make up for their dishonesty is if they bring back the National Dex in the Diamond and Pearl remakes. Sure, it turns another fact about Dexit into a lie, but who even wants what Dexit promised? I just want the Platinum Pokédex expanded to include the Sinnoh legendaries it still missed. I don't want it cluttered with a bunch of Pokémon that would have otherwise be trapped at HOME. I want compatibility between the Sinnoh remakes and Home, Sword/Shield, Let's Go, and Go to be activated at Pal Park after the National Dex is obtained after seeing every Pokémon in Sinnoh. Just like how FireRed and LeafGreen needed the Sevii Island quest to connect to Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Colosseum and XD.
We don’t know that they lied. And even if they did, lying about reconstructing assets to allegedly cover their tracks is different from lying about never adding in the remaining Pokémon so people don’t get their hopes up.

They really had no excuse for cutting so many Pokémon out but to make them available in DLC islands and laziness.
I am begging y’all to stop with this. Game developers work extremely hard around the clock, and GameFreak is certainly no exception. You may not trust the reasons they have laid out for you as to why Dexit occurred, but crying laziness is just baseless and, quite frankly, bratty. I’m not calling you out in particular, I just see this way too much and I’m tired of it.

Wasn't the whole "reconstructed from scratch" thing found to be a mistranslation? I'm bothered by the cut, too, and I'll point to re-used assets as reasons why they should have just given the game more time to include everything, but I'm pretty sure they didn't lie about that, nor would it have been a good idea to lie about something so obvious.

Also, like... have you not heard anything about game development schedules, especially in Japan? They're extremely stressful and involve a lot of crunchtime. If the developers could control when a game released and how much was expected of them, I'm quite sure they would have. Making the employees into a scapegoat for something that was almost certainly caused by an executive decision to have an annual release just adds to the pile of the unfair relations between bosses and employees.

I want compatibility between the Sinnoh remakes and Home, Sword/Shield, Let's Go, and Go to be activated at Pal Park after the National Dex is obtained after seeing every Pokémon in Sinnoh. Just like how FireRed and LeafGreen needed the Sevii Island quest to connect to Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Colosseum and XD.
That's an oddly-specific request that's not really hindered by the dex cut.

Game Freak may have wimped out at E3 2019, but how can you remake Sinnoh without the National Dex? That's like remaking Johto without Kanto.

The National Dex back then was just Gens 1-4. The remakes can easily have just those + various Pokemon from Gens 5-8. I don't think all of Gens 5-8 would be needed for the remakes like you're making them out to be.

That is going to be really bad if fans are going to worry that Heatran, Electivire, Cresselia, Tangrowth, Magmortar, Darkrai, Regigigas, Giratina, etc. aren't going to exist in the remakes of their native region

This is a bit silly to even type out. Those Pokemon are marketed as Sinnoh Pokemon for all intents and purposes because that's where they debuted. They're 100% going to be in.

I want compatibility between the Sinnoh remakes and Home, Sword/Shield, Let's Go, and Go to be activated at Pal Park after the National Dex is obtained after seeing every Pokémon in Sinnoh. Just like how FireRed and LeafGreen needed the Sevii Island quest to connect to Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Colosseum and XD.

Why would they bother doing that? The whole Sevii Island quest for unlocking trading is outdated to the point they didn't even bother doing that for HGSS or ORAS.

If they did anything with Pal Park in terms of connectivity, it'd likely just have to do with it being another method of transferring GO Pokemon. But they'll probably convert it into something else or close it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom