• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious how they'll handle compatibility with Sword/Shield first and foremost. I hope it's like HGSS/DPPt.

I'm curious how they'll handle compatibility with Sword/Shield first and foremost. I hope it's like HGSS/DPPt.

I'm leaning towards the games being incompatible directly. Wouldn't surprise me because of the Dex cut, and it being an easier option instead of having to code a list of what can or can't be traded.

Would also give more usage to Home since we'd have to use it to transfer Pokemon between SwSh and DP remakes if they went that route.

I'm leaning towards the games being incompatible directly. Wouldn't surprise me because of the Dex cut, and it being an easier option instead of having to code a list of what can or can't be traded.

Would also give more usage to Home since we'd have to use it to transfer Pokemon between SwSh and DP remakes if they went that route.
That would be the absolute worst case scenario, though, and anathema to the generational patterns we're used to.

It would probably create a lot of backlash, as well.

They've stated a couple times no future game will have every Pokemon available in them. We just need to get used to it.

They've stated a couple times no future game will have every Pokemon available in them. We just need to get used to it.
We don't know if this applies to launch-versions or whole generations, though. We simply don't know what the impact of the remakes will be.

Not having every Pokemon =/= no direct compatibility, they could just throw a message like "this Pokemon cannot be traded" if you try to trade it to a version it's not in. Not having direct compatibility could definitely cause a lot of backlash because it would isolate the communities in each game and discourage people from trading or battling.

It would really be odd if Sword/Shield can't be patched, seeing how they're almost 100% likely to share the same infrastructure as the hypothetical remakes (so, models don't have to be remade).

It would really be odd if Sword/Shield can't be patched, seeing how they're almost 100% likely to share the same infrastructure as the hypothetical remakes (so, models don't have to be remade).
In my opinion, they can be patched, judging by how they have been doing things now.

Of course they can be patched since that's how we're getting the DLC in the first place.

Personally I'd like for there to be direct-compatability myself, but I get the feeling they might go for them being incompatible because of Dex cut, and I really hope it doesn't turn out to be that.

I hope it would be like when Ruby and Sapphire trades with later Gen III games where you get the National Dex from the trade. I know they said they won't have all the Pokémon available in the games anymore, but I really want them to go back on their controversial word. But if they keep their word and there's no National Dex in Sinnoh then it could be like a new FireRed player without the National Dex trading with a LeafGreen post-game with the National Dex. The LeafGreen player can only send Kanto Pokémon to the FireRed newbie. Just like the Time Capsule in Gold, Silver and Crystal only allowing Kanto Pokémon. The Sinnoh player can only trade Pokémon in the Galar Dex while the Sword/Shield player could only trade Pokémon from the Sinnoh Dex. Basically, you can only trade Pokémon that crossed over in both regions if there's no National Dex. You can trade Lucario between Sinnoh and Galar, but not Bidoof who is a Sinnoh Pokémon not catchable in Galar, nor Cinderace, a Galarian Pokémon that's unlikely to appear in Sinnoh. However, if they do reverse the Dexit decision, then we should be free to trade any Pokémon we want and they should patch all the missing Pokémon into Sword and Shield.

Such a thing would be very ugly, seeing how they're more than capable of patching in 'mons. But, yeah, it seems most of us can agree on it being ugly, but still fear it as a possible reality. I hope we'll get some clarity in february. But realistically? I think news for a potential remake will start out in April/May and be as slow and inconsistent as the Galar marketing.

Have they ever gone back and updated a previous main series entry after a new one came out? If not, I think it’s pretty clear that they won’t be starting with SwSh.
Because it never was really necessary for the handful of Mythicals or mega evolutions. They never patched things in, until the DLC for Sword/Shield. That was a first, as well. And as we said, they're more than capable if it's same generation, same engine.

Because it never was really necessary for the handful of Mythicals or mega evolutions. They never patched things in, until the DLC for Sword/Shield. That was a first, as well. And as we said, they're more than capable if it's same generation, same engine.
It was about just as necessary to patch in the brand new Pokémon and Megas before as it is to patch in the old Pokémon now. DLC isn’t really indicative that they will begin continued support of previous game entries, it’s more of just a step away from 3rd versions in my opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for them to go back and add in the old Pokémon to Sword and Shield, I just don’t think it’s wise or prudent to get your hopes up for it.

It was about just as necessary to patch in the brand new Pokémon and Megas before as it is to patch in the old Pokémon now. DLC isn’t really indicative that they will begin continued support of previous game entries, it’s more of just a step away from 3rd versions in my opinion.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love for them to go back and add in the old Pokémon to Sword and Shield, I just don’t think it’s wise or prudent to get your hopes up for it.
Dexit has never been a thing in older generations. You do have a point, though, but it would really feel like salt in the wounds. It would also be odd if gen 8 Pokémon are locked-out of a gen 8 videogame, for example.

Dexit has never been a thing in older generations. You do have a point, though, but it would really feel like salt in the wounds. It would also be odd if gen 8 Pokémon are locked-out of a gen 8 videogame, for example.
I was referring to the new Pokémon introduced in USUM that weren’t added to SM. Personally, I think it would be more odd if the Pokémon in SwSh weren’t all present in the next games, but I’m not getting my hopes up for that either lol.

I was referring to the new Pokémon introduced in USUM that weren’t added to SM. Personally, I think it would be more odd if the Pokémon in SwSh weren’t all present in the next games, but I’m not getting my hopes up for that either lol.
Yeah I get that, I should've worded my sentence a bit better: There has never been a gen 1-7 game which excluded Pokémon from older iteracies. Even if newer games of the same generation had some new forms or even 'mons, all of the others were included in that particular game, as well. We all know that, but I just think that this new reality of Dexit and DLC might mean a few changes in the patching-mentality. What kind of change? I don't know, we'll see, but I don't think they'll continue with the same non-patching Sun/Moon had after USUM's release.

There has never been a gen 1-7 game which excluded Pokémon from older iteracies.
Gen 3 cut a lot of Pokemon and it took 3 years and 5 other games before one could even attempt to complete a dex. It was impossible prior to XD iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom