• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The PR disaster with Dexit is a very good reason for them to go back on it. So many people cancelled their pre-orders and Pokémon Home has been called Pokémon Prison. People have exposed their excuses. I think the DLC was actually Game Freak going back on it. I never bought Pokémon Home because I don't move my Pokémon up generations. I just want the National Pokédex listing to be available to view.
I doubt that the Dexit backlash came as a surprise to them. They made this announcement knowing it would be controversial. The DLC was happening either way; its development probably started before Dexit backlash even began.

Last edited:
I can see GF having another game that covers the rest of the pokedex, but I do think that it might not be compatible with Sword and Shield. IF Game Freak is steadfast on there not being a game where all of the nearly 900 mons are available ever again. Then the ideal scenario would be to at ensure each of those mons are playable on the same console.

That's the thing, since DP, whatever platform has Pokemon core games on it usually has 2 generations, and a one-way method of transfer even when suing the same infrastructure. As such and with the expansions being the closest we have to the role usually filled by remakes of sequels (especially considering the Ultra Games were the last iteration of that role AND did a similar thing to Alola) I think that Gen 9 might be closer on the horizon than we thought.

I also think its is very possible that they would instead do D/P remakes first, but would likely eb more akin to Gen 8.5, like the Let's Go games. (though I suspect that might be the only thing they have inc ommon)

The PR disaster with Dexit
Do you really think they care about what a handful of people in Twitter bubbles and on Pokémon forums like this one think? As long as the backlash (that, again, casual fans didn't care about or maybe weren't even aware of) isn't reflected in the games' sales numbers, Game Freak has no reason whatsoever to change their mind on the issue. And last time I checked, Sword/Shield were the most successful games they've had since the gen. 1 and 2 ones...

I’m really just trying to remain cautious. They stated that there wouldn’t be another game with every Pokémon in it ever again, and I see no reason to believe they would go back on that. The DLC isn’t really an indicator of whether or not they will go back and patch a former game in the series, which they’ve never done before.
I don’t know about that, they’ve backtracked a bit on their talks. I’m expecting any Switch Sinnoh remakes to have 90% of the Pokémon it not ALL of them, at least. Since they already have the data for them in Sword and Sheid. Updating the OG games is uncertain but I’m pretty confident the Dex will be very close to completely full for the next games.

I don’t know about that, they’ve backtracked a bit on their talks. I’m expecting any Switch Sinnoh remakes to have 90% of the Pokémon it not ALL of them, at least. Since they already have the data for them in Sword and Sheid. Updating the OG games is uncertain but I’m pretty confident the Dex will be very close to completely full for the next games.
They have a bit, but I’m still going to be cautious and not get my hopes up. I don’t disagree that it seems like they would be able to get 100% of the remaining Pokémon in one game, but again I am going to take them at their word for now and assume that this will not be the case.
Cause they were supposed to be for the main game but got cut since they didn't have enough time to finish those parts?
No; because I think they had been planning to replace third versions with DLC from the start.

Regardless of whether or not you think it's going to happen, it's still complaint worthy if they don't. They were able to add another 200 Pokemon to SwSh within about a year. Another 200 Pokemon to round out the remaining Pokemon should be no problem for them, as is updating SwSh to allow those remaining Pokemon to be traded. If they don't, it's greed/laziness, plain and simple. So it's definitely something we should expect, regardless of whether or not we predicted it happening or not it'd still be a disappointment if they don't do it.

More laziness than greed. Because if they really want the money, they'd try to put in what the customers want.

I dunno, greed can also be expressed by saving money (read: cutting costs) as putting in more effort meaning have to pay laborers more money. Even for the easiest and most minute of details. And we are talking about the largest multimedia franchise in gaming history. One that therefore prints money just by existing.

I'm confused. Will they reuse mega evolutions, z-moves and dynamax? Will they give up on the dinamax and gmax things? Personally I'd love to see the mega evolutions making a comeback, but this is because I love megas and I really despise z-moves and the dynamax and gigantamax things. We played Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire games with mega evolutions and it ended up being a good experience (I really love those gen 3 remakes). What do you people think about this? Would you like to see your Torterra dynamaxing? Maybe you want to see your Inferneape using a z-move? How about a mega evo for Empoleon?

I dunno, greed can also be expressed by saving money (read: cutting costs) as putting in more effort meaning have to pay laborers more money. Even for the easiest and most minute of details. And we are talking about the largest multimedia franchise in gaming history. One that therefore prints money just by existing.

Or they could have not told us about the Pokédex cut until after release. Telling about it at E3 was very anti-money because it made so many customers cancel their pre-orders. If they had waited for people to discover Dexit themselves before making their excuses, Sword and Shield would have made a lot more money on release. They need to be careful about talking about the removal of features like the National Dex. At least if they didn't say anything before the game released, they wouldn't be lying like the excuse of recreating models from scratch, which was exposed by the trailers.

Telling about it at E3 was very anti-money because it made so many customers cancel their pre-orders. If they had waited for people to discover Dexit themselves before making their excuses, Sword and Shield would have made a lot more money on release.
Do you happen to have any reliable source backing this up? I know a lot of people were upset at the news, but saying significant numbers of people cancelled their preorders seems like a stretch to me considering how well the games have sold. Despite being on a more expensive console and system, SwSh has sold a few million copies more than DP, BW, and XY--it doesn't seem like "many customers [canceled] their pre-orders" to me.

Edit:
That being said, I do think that GameFreak could have handled the Dexit news much better, but I don't think withholding that information would have curbed backlash nor would have made a significant impact on sales, even though I would have preferred that.

Or they could have not told us about the Pokédex cut until after release. Telling about it at E3 was very anti-money because it made so many customers cancel their pre-orders. If they had waited for people to discover Dexit themselves before making their excuses, Sword and Shield would have made a lot more money on release. They need to be careful about talking about the removal of features like the National Dex. At least if they didn't say anything before the game released, they wouldn't be lying like the excuse of recreating models from scratch, which was exposed by the trailers.
...what? If they did it this way the resulting backlash would have been exponentially worse. People are calling them scummy and lazy just for Dexit happening in the first place. Imagine if they also pulled an awful move like this. As “anti-money” as Dexit was, if it was going to happen, it absolutely should have been announced prior to release. And it was, and sales were still terrific. They also would likely have had the same reasons for it if we discovered it ourselves.

The backlash would have been worse when people found out, but by that time they would already be buying the games, and it would just be a spoiler. Hey, maybe being completely quiet about the Dex cut even after the games release and pointing to Pokémon HOME as hope for the potential return of all the missing Pokémon, and then announce the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra DLC. Sun and Moon didn't have a National Pokédex, but I didn't hear any backlash even though I myself hated the lack of a National Dex in Sun and Moon. And I don't think it was the lack of a National Dex itself that caused that much controversy, it was Game Freak's reasons that did, and it had people looking at the game's graphics and seeing it as bad, and they wouldn't have been bashing the graphics that much if Game Freak didn't cite the graphical improvements as reasoning for the Dex cut. Only critics who look at graphics would have cared. The game actually looks great to me. I wouldn't expect PS4 quality graphics in a Nintendo game, and it does actually look better than the 3DS games. I don't care about some tree. Anyway, since this is the thread about the Sinnoh remakes, it would be good if Game Freak addresses the fan complaints of Sword and Shield and make Sinnoh look better.

The backlash would have been worse when people found out, but by that time they would already be buying the games, and it would just be a spoiler.
The games continue to sell after day 1. As soon as people realize they’ve been lied to (I.e. lying by omission), the resulting backlash would probably have caused sales to drop much lower than they did with them being up-front about everything.
Sun and Moon didn't have a National Pokédex, but I didn't hear any backlash even though I myself hated the lack of a National Dex in Sun and Moon.
There was some, but the clear difference is the lack of National Dex versus the complete lack of obtainability.
And I don't think it was the lack of a National Dex itself that caused that much controversy, it was Game Freak's reasons that did, and it had people looking at the game's graphics and seeing it as bad, and they wouldn't have been bashing the graphics that much if Game Freak didn't cite the graphical improvements as reasoning for the Dex cut. Only critics who look at graphics would have cared.
I disagree with this. People have complained about graphics and lag and load times for many generations now. I think it’s the jump in hardware to the Switch as well as juxtaposition to LGPE had peoples expectations high for graphics. Dexit made people look at SwSh in an already unfavorable lens. Though, tbh, I don’t care much about them either.

Anyways, all of this is to say, them being up front about not including all the Pokémon in any future game was probably just as indicative of the upcoming Sinnoh remakes as the Dexit announcement was for Sword and Shield.

The backlash would have been worse when people found out, but by that time they would already be buying the games, and it would just be a spoiler. Hey, maybe being completely quiet about the Dex cut even after the games release and pointing to Pokémon HOME as hope for the potential return of all the missing Pokémon, and then announce the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra DLC. Sun and Moon didn't have a National Pokédex, but I didn't hear any backlash even though I myself hated the lack of a National Dex in Sun and Moon. And I don't think it was the lack of a National Dex itself that caused that much controversy, it was Game Freak's reasons that did, and it had people looking at the game's graphics and seeing it as bad, and they wouldn't have been bashing the graphics that much if Game Freak didn't cite the graphical improvements as reasoning for the Dex cut. Only critics who look at graphics would have cared. The game actually looks great to me. I wouldn't expect PS4 quality graphics in a Nintendo game, and it does actually look better than the 3DS games. I don't care about some tree. Anyway, since this is the thread about the Sinnoh remakes, it would be good if Game Freak addresses the fan complaints of Sword and Shield and make Sinnoh look better.
This is...definitely an opinion.

The concept of Pokémon had always included keeping all previous Pokémon available in some form (excluding the initial release of Gen III). Cutting the Dex and not telling the consumers in advance is business dishonesty. If Dexit turned people off temporarily, doing the same thing with no mention would turn people off entirely because they would have essentially been lied to about the product they were buying. I'm someone who honestly didn't give much of a shit regarding Dexit, but even I would have been put off had they released the game, knowing their consumers expected the entire Dex to be there, but cutting it and not saying anything.

Also, most people who were mad about Dexit weren't mad because of the reasoning, they were mad that Pokémon were cut in general. Even here on the forums to this day, you see people who think the games should've been delayed to include all the Pokémon in addition to getting better graphics than were in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom