• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is a National Pokédex in the Sinnoh remakes, then I hope it’s unlocked upon entering the Hall of Fame rather than when you have seen every Pokémon in the regional Pokédex. In my opinion, the Nat. ‘dex shouldn’t be a reward for a tedious task, it should just be given to you at the start of the post game so that you can view the additional entries right away—instead, I’d have the Oval Charm be the reward. If there isn’t a National Pokédex, then I’d imagine that charm would be the reward anyway.
I don't think it was tedious, but that might be because I tend to hunt down every single trainer in the game...

I think my MC might have issues...

I'm not sure if tedious is the right word, but I do remember having to use a guide to figure out how to register one of the pokemon. Maybe it was Monferno? I can't really remember. I was too lazy to go through all the routes one by one and find the trainer that I skipped. Maybe if they bring it back, they should add an option to add a random dex entry that you are missing once per day.

If there even is a National Dex in the remakes (probably not, although there might be a Battle Zone Dex or something that similarly expands the dex in post game but doesn't give you everything in the National Dex), don't keep that "see every Sinnoh Dex Pokemon" requirement. That was so irritating and there's no way kids will be able to do it. Just unlock it after you complete the Pokemon League.

Unpopular Opinion: I don't really care about the Battle Frontier. It was always a pain the ass to use, and I wasted weeks of my childhood trying to create teams for the BF that, even with their IVs and natures, struggled to get past Barry's dad.

Pokemon Showdown on Smogon is like one thousand times more efficient, and there's no getting screwed over by a cheating AI. If you lost to somebody on PS it's not because of a Garchomp with fire fang or whatever. They genuinely had a better team or better strategy, or alternatively, you just had some really bad luck; perhaps a move missing at the wrong moment when your last pokemon was low on HP and could have otherwise defeated their adversary.

I'd actually like Platinum's Frontier back. Emerald's was a pain if you didn't have the perfect team, but in Platinum and HGSS you could get incredibly far with just a standard in-game team. I got two gold prints and all the silver ones on just my in-game team, in Emerald I only ever got two silver symbols, and one of them was Lucy's, who is the easiest Brain to access.

If there even is a National Dex in the remakes (probably not, although there might be a Battle Zone Dex or something that similarly expands the dex in post game but doesn't give you everything in the National Dex), don't keep that "see every Sinnoh Dex Pokemon" requirement. That was so irritating and there's no way kids will be able to do it. Just unlock it after you complete the Pokemon League.
Just position every trainer looking straight along the wall of a narrow path and program every turning trainer to face you when you come near. Then the kids would really need to go out of their way to miss one, and everyone who plays casually would enter the Hall of Fame with a complete Sinnoh Dex.

Just position every trainer looking straight along the wall of a narrow path and program every turning trainer to face you when you come near. Then the kids would really need to go out of their way to miss one, and everyone who plays casually would enter the Hall of Fame with a complete Sinnoh Dex.
Or, rather than force it upon players, remove the requirement entirely and just have it be given to the player upon entering the Hall of Fame. I don't think an essential item like the National Pokedex/expanded Pokedex should unlocked upon completion of a possibly time-consuming optional task. That's ultimately my issue. I wouldn't mind if one of the charms was the reward instead because they're not what I'd consider an essential item. You can still get eggs, exp, marked Pokémon, etc. with or without the charm while you need the additional Pokedex in order to view Pokémon not in the regional one.

And, besides, narrow corridors with several trainers lining them does not seem like an enjoyable game environment to me. I think it would be very boring to traverse and become stale quickly.

If there is a National Pokédex in the Sinnoh remakes, then I hope it’s unlocked upon entering the Hall of Fame rather than when you have seen every Pokémon in the regional Pokédex. In my opinion, the Nat. ‘dex shouldn’t be a reward for a tedious task, it should just be given to you at the start of the post game so that you can view the additional entries right away—instead, I’d have the Oval Charm be the reward. If there isn’t a National Pokédex, then I’d imagine that charm would be the reward anyway.

I really like how you can complete the Sinnoh Pokedex just by seeing every Pokemon, so I hope that stays. However, I agree that it shouldn't be a requirement for getting the National Pokedex. Make seeing every Pokemon an optional challenge for people who enjoy that sort of thing, and give players the National Pokedex after the Hall of Fame.

I never even realised this was such a big deal for so many people? I don't think I ever had the problem of missing dex entries on any of my Sinnoh playthroughs (and there've been plenty!), and I certainly never paid much attention to battling every single trainer in the game.

While I did not mind finding all the Pokémon, I also wouldn't mind taking out that requirement. I mean, battling everyone has always been part of my playthroughs, so I guess I wouldn't notice anyway.

Its 2021, and we're very likely getting a new main series game. I still think we're getting Sinnoh remakes, though there's some thing I wonder....

1. How will the SInnoh Region change? In ORAS, we saw overhauls of the region, such as a completely revamped Mauville City. Will we see something similar with any cities in Sinnoh? How will Gen VIII additions such as Dynamax affect Sinnoh? Will we gain areas that have free roaming cameras like the Wild Area? Obviously we know they're gonna choose to be lazy when it comes to Veilstone's Game Corner unfortunatley...
2. Pokemon Contests. We do know that Sinnoh does have Pokemon Contests. Will they make changes to these?
3. The Sinnoh Underground. Will they reduce it to an NPC that can dig up stuff or will we still be able to go underground to explore while digging up stuff.
4. As many know, Sinnoh had the most required HM's out of any region, so how will they adjust for a modern HM-less era of Pokemon?
5. What new additions will the DP remakes see?
6. Will they keep post game areas like the resort? We know they seem to have a thing against the Battle Frontier in recent years unfortunately.
7. Will they continue to explore the multiverse like Gen VI and Gen VII did?

I honestly don't see the big deal with the see all Sinnoh Pokémon requirement when you still want to enter the Hall of Fame for it. Some Gym Leaders and the Elite Four can be difficult to beat. Just seeing all the Sinnoh Pokémon could be easier than beating Cynthia. In Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, you get the National Pokédex before entering the Hall of Fame. We can drop all requirements and have Professor Rowan give you the National Dex at the beginning of the game, but that means that Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus would still not be in a regional Pokédex. Because why would you have a regional Dex when you've got the National Dex from the start?

The chances of us actually having a National Dex in DP remakes isn't very likely, let's be real. The closest I can see them doing is what they did with the SwSh DLC, where you had the main Galar Dex, and then an ~updated~ dex when you go to the DLC areas. It'd probably be base Sinnoh Dex, and then Sinnoh Dex plus post game legendaries and some fan faves from Gens 5-8 in the ~updated~ dex.

Its 2021, and we're very likely getting a new main series game. I still think we're getting Sinnoh remakes, though there's some thing I wonder....

1. How will the SInnoh Region change? In ORAS, we saw overhauls of the region, such as a completely revamped Mauville City. Will we see something similar with any cities in Sinnoh? How will Gen VIII additions such as Dynamax affect Sinnoh? Will we gain areas that have free roaming cameras like the Wild Area? Obviously we know they're gonna choose to be lazy when it comes to Veilstone's Game Corner unfortunatley...
2. Pokemon Contests. We do know that Sinnoh does have Pokemon Contests. Will they make changes to these?
3. The Sinnoh Underground. Will they reduce it to an NPC that can dig up stuff or will we still be able to go underground to explore while digging up stuff.
4. As many know, Sinnoh had the most required HM's out of any region, so how will they adjust for a modern HM-less era of Pokemon?
6. Will they keep post game areas like the resort? We know they seem to have a thing against the Battle Frontier in recent years unfortunately.

1. Hard to say
  2. Ditto
  3. Leaning to NPCs being likely considering SWSH
  4. Prolly by either adding Pokerides or removing those areas.
  5. Dynamaxing istheonly guatentee so far
  6. Prolly not. if ORAS was any indication than Platinum-exclusive additions are less likely than catching a Shiny Beldum at max odds with 6 IV's and its HA with a pokeball
  7. Ican see lip service being made. especially if its to clarify that 8 is separate form the Pre Mega AND Mega timelines. but that might be about as far as it goes.

Prolly not. if ORAS was any indication than Platinum-exclusive additions are less likely than catching a Shiny Beldum at max odds with 6 IV's and its HA with a pokeball
But on the other hand Ruby and Sapphire depended a lot in their differences, so I can kinda understand why they included much of Emerald's differences this won't end well for me.

On the other hand, you have to consider that HGSS and to a certain extent LGPE included elements from third versions, so maybe ORAS was a one off thing?

I'm expecting pretty radical changes due to the new 3D engine. I expect this will also include simplifying dungeons and routes, however.
Dynamaxing--yeah I don't see them dropping it mid-generation.
For free roaming I lean towards the theory I've seen of the Great Marsh becoming a new wild area equivalent.

I suspect so, though it's hard to guess at specifics.

I sort of wonder if it might be replaced with Dynamax Adventures, actually.

I expect the obstacles (except water) to just be gone.

Hard to say. HGSS and ORAS had some very interesting new features and I assume this will have something, too.

I think the DP areas will be kept but the Frontier will never be seen again; we might get another shoutout like ORAS.

I sort of lean to them doing so in a similar manner to ORAS to explain why Dynamaxing is now in Sinnoh (which I'm expecting).

But on the other hand Ruby and Sapphire depended a lot in their differences, so I can kinda understand why they included much of Emerald's differences this won't end well for me.

On the other hand, you have to consider that HGSS and to a certain extent LGPE included elements from third versions, so maybe ORAS was a one off thing?
Whether the Gen 4 remakes are closer to HGSS or ORAS in that regard is going to be informative.

We've hit the new year, and I think I'm ready to see some Sinnoh remakes this year. Since I'm kind of bored, I think I'll post what I think we'll see in the Sinnoh remakes, and some extra wants.

What I think:
  • They will be basic remakes. They probably won't do anything major to expand upon the story, just rehash the older one. I could see them pulling an ORAS and doing something in the postgame for the Platinum part of the story, but I don't think it will be in the main portion of the game.
  • Contests will make a return. Sinnoh had contests, so I'm sure they will make a return in these games. I'm actually pretty excited for them and would love to see them expanded on a little bit in this remake.
  • I think they will also do similar to what they did with ORAS and keep the original dex (let's hope its the Platinum version), but add some Pokemon that could fit in that came from later. (I actually can't remember if you had to wait until postgame to catch them, but I know certain Pokemon from later generations were added into the Hoenn dex. For example, you could find Joltik on route 116). Whatever they do with it, I just hope they actually have some freaking fire-types in the dex.
  • I think they are going to somehow implement dynamax into Sinnoh. I don't think it will be anywhere in the main game, but I could see them putting raid dens on routes. I just don't think we'll see Megas
  • I am not quite sure about cities yet, but I think routes will have the free-to-control camera the Wild Area and DLCs did in SwSh. They've had some practice, and I think them putting it in every area in the DLCs shows us that they are ready to bring this over into the main game.
What I want
  • Customization to be fully implemented into the games. While it was silly that they didn't include it, I could see why they didn't have customization in the Gen 3 remakes. ORAS came out a year after X and Y, which were the first games to have customization, and they were still experimenting with it. now, they've had more games to experiment with, and at this point, it would be silly to not include it. I think they should still offer the basic (but updated) Riley and Dawn models with different skin tones when you first start your game, but then you can change the eye and hair color, as well as clothes. Taking customization out of this game would just be taking a step backward, and I don't want them to do that.
  • Following Pokemon in the whole game (or at least on the routes). We have the models done, SwSh was able to run them fine, let's just bring them back.
  • Hordes to come back. The Switch is a much more powerful console, and hordes were so cool in the generation six games. I think Horde encounters would be a great thing to bring back in these games.
Wishlist (Things I would really want to see, but I think they have less of a chance of happening then the other wants).
  • Sinnoh Forms. It is no secret that my favorite game mechanic is regional forms. I love the concept of it, the lore behind some of them, all the different things you can do with them. This one should be on the list above because remakes are a perfect opportunity to introduce variants of older Pokemon and add something new to the game to give fans another reason to pick it up, but they didn't give the Let's Go games Kanto remakes, so I don't want to put this too high on my wishlist.
  • Mid-generation Pokemon. We sometimes see pokemon added mid-generation with legendaries and stuff like that, but very rarely (if at all actually), do we see just basic new Pokemon added in the middle of the generation. It doesn't have to be many, and they don't have to come from Sinnoh (but they can). Since Pokemon has solidified itself into having separate timelines, I think it would be pretty neat if in this game they could do a whole "we recently discovered that there's been Pokemon living in Sinnoh that have never been seen before!" They could put them in a separate little area that's completely new to the game, or just somewhere in the region. It's kind of hard to see them adding basic Pokemon in the middle of a generation, since they haven't before (unless there is just a time I'm forgetting), but there are no rules to say they can't.
    • A new eeveelution is the Pokemon I would like to see. I was disappointed we didn't see a new Eevee form with Galar, and honestly, I have no idea why they didn't because Eevee is a money-making machine (that merch though). So, if these games decided to add some new Pokemon, I would love Eevee to be one of them. As long as they had the design it wouldn't be too difficult either, just link it to a newly discovered item in the game (Example: There's this deep cavern that was discovered somewhere underground in the Sinnoh region, and when mining through it the player can find this cool gem that if they give to their eevee to hold, it will evolve that Eevee into a new Rock type eeveelution).
  • I would like them to do something significantly different to the story. It doesn't have to be a complete overhaul, but I think it's kind of annoying how remakes just rehash the same story and stick an updated graphics sticker on it. Give long-time fans a real reason to pick up the games.
Well, that's what I would like to see. While I really do want to see the remakes this year, there is a tiny part of me that is a little skeptical on whether or not they are going to happen this year. I could see them wanting to do a game that's more of a celebration of Pokemon (since it's the 25th anniversary), and then they would release the remakes next year with Gen 9 coming out in 2023. But that is just the skeptical part of me. I do think we'll see remakes this year.

1. I'd expect the Sinnoh locations redesigned in 3D and nothing major. Maybe the stadiums would be added to Gyms. And I would want all outdoor areas in Sinnoh to have free roaming cameras.
2. I'm more familiar with Hoenn's contests because I grew up playing Hoenn and didn't get my DS until Tina gave me one late Generation V with White version. I'm not sure if I've ever done the Sinnoh contests.
3. I think the Underground can work like it did in Generation IV. We do have Nintendo Switch Online.
4. Honestly, I think they should bring back HMs. I've got a Flying Pokémon in Alola and Galar that just needs to be used for Fly, and a Water type that would be good for Surf. I've got the right teams in Alola and Galar if they force me to teach HMs. Such a wasted opportunity to have Toucannon in Sun, Pelipper in Ultra Sun, and Corviknight in Sword without Fly. I'm probably going to get a Staraptor in the Diamond remake like the ones I have in Diamond and Platinum.
5. I would like an expanded Sinnoh Dex to include the seven missing Legendaries, new quests within the story to catch those Legendaries so that you'd be ready for the National Dex when you get into the Hall of Fame, Lucas/Dawn should get the same starter as you while a new rival gets a starter weak against yours.
6. Yes, they should keep post game areas. Especially the Battle Frontier. Though Stark Mountain may have to be visited earlier to catch Heatran, which would put half of the Battle Zone in the main game. But maybe they should give a trainer a Heatran so that the Battle Zone remains post-game? I am making those Legendary Pokémon habitats integral to the progression of the story of my fan concept so that the game could be completed with the Sinnoh Dex and to make sure those seven Pokémon could be in their regional Dex. So while their habitats can be changed from post-game areas to mandatory main game areas, Heatran's position in the biggest post-game area frustrates me. Maybe there should be new post-game routes? Or maybe the first time you go to the Battle Zone, Buck takes you to Stark Mountain in a cutscene, bypassing all the National Dex Pokémon? Well, at least there's the Poké Radar. But with the National Dex more than doubled since Diamond and Pearl, and Pal Park and the Dual-slot mode not working for the Switch, we need more ways to find new Pokémon in the post-game to fill the National Dex.
7. What do you mean "explore the multiverse?" We never did explore the multiverse. We just debated sending a meteorite to another Earth in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire but we didn't visit that alternate Earth. Zinnia just talked the Mossdeep scientists out of it because doppelganger lives matter. And while we went through Ultra Space in Gen 7, I wouldn't count that as multiversal travel because it's just another dimension and not a parallel world. I think we could have Ultra Wormholes in the post-game of the Diamond and Pearl remakes.

I never even realised this was such a big deal for so many people? I don't think I ever had the problem of missing dex entries on any of my Sinnoh playthroughs (and there've been plenty!), and I certainly never paid much attention to battling every single trainer in the game.
Ah, I realized that my post sounds rather upset and tedious was probably the wrong word to use. I honestly had no trouble seeing all Sinnoh Pokémon as I like to battle other trainers, it's just that I don't think the National Pokedex should require anything other than completing the pre-post game. My bad.

1. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  2. I'd imagine so. If I remember correctly, ORAS had a few changes to contests so I'd imagine the same would go for our hypothetical Sinnoh remakes. At least, I'd imagine they would be reworked to include Dynamax. Contest Halls do look large compared to the other buildings in the original games so I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to say that they could fit a Dynamax Pokémon. I'd say they'd be about the size of the stadiums in SwSh.
  3. No, I think the Underground will probably be incorporated into some sort of Wild Area and/or as a hub for the Sinnoh equivalent of Dynamax Adventures, as well as retain some of its original functionality.
  4. Probably replace HMs with a ride-Pokémon system.
  5. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  6. While I think the Battle Frontier will probably be reduced in some capacity, I don't think GameFreak would completely neuter an entire sub-region.
  7. I think so considering that Dialga and Palkia have spacial and temporal powers respectively, Giratina lives in an alternate dimension, and this was the generation god debuted in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom