• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking into consideration the more than likely Sinnoh remakes and the different opinions about the Pkmn games content and GF's practises, I was wondering if before buying the game, you will spoil yourself with information about the games and how much (only certain parts of it or fully) or not at all in order to try to be surprised.

In my case, I'll spoil myself in order to decide if I should buy one of it or not depending on what's included (or not!).

What about you?
I replayed Platinum last year so I'm going to look to see what new it brings; if it's close to HG/SS in content probably yes, if more like OR/AS probably not.

I think it's clear Megas won't come back and they will shoehorn Dynamax, the gimmick of the current generation, even if it doesn't seem like it wi fit in Gyms.

I think the following Pokémon will get a Gigantamax
Torterra
Infernape
Empoleon
Lucario
Garchomp
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Arceus

there is a lot of potential for this to be the most immersive (if not literally open) world they have yet created!!
i feel like there is at least a chance that the region will be significantly redesigned to include more wild area type spaces, and i definitely don't think the map will be a 1 to 1 remake.

while i was writing this, your post appeared, SinnohEevee! i do hope that all of the emphasis in the story about Dynamax being so specific to the Galar region is not for nothing!

I can only speak for myself, but I wouldn't have bothered to buy both Sword and Shield at launch if I'd have known paid DLC (which has to be purchased separately for each game) would be announced eight weeks later. And I wouldn't have bought a digital Expansion Pass for Sword if I'd have known physical bundles were coming later in the year.

If I'd had all that information in the beginning, I probably would have just bought one of the games at launch, skipped the digital Expansion Passes altogether, and bought a second-hand bundled edition of the other game on eBay. So by withholding that information, the Pokemon Company got an extra £70 (a lot of money!) out of me.
I think you’d be in the minority of people who actually went and bought another copy, though. Honestly, if anything it seems like a poor business decision from the outside. I feel like maybe there wasn’t initially planned to be a bundle but maybe there was demand for it, but of course I realize I have nothing to back up that theory.

I think it's clear Megas won't come back and they will shoehorn Dynamax, the gimmick of the current generation, even if it doesn't seem like it wi fit in Gyms.

I think we could stand to be a bit less pessimistic. Subjectivity aside, Mega Evolution did not feel “shoehorned” into ORAS; it felt pretty organic. Just because Dynamax has quite a bit more overhead associated with its implementation (Raid Dens, Stadiums, etc.) doesn’t mean it can’t or won’t be done well.

I think the following Pokémon will get a Gigantamax
I feel like most of the gym leaders' aces would also get Gigantamax forms. Most of the SwSh leaders had gigantamax aces, so I'd honestly expect the Sinnoh ones to have them too. So I think Rampardos, Roserade, Lucario, Mismagius, Floatzel, Bastiodon, one of Abomasnow/Froslass and one of Luxray/Electivire will probably end up having G-max forms as well.

I feel as though the towns in a Sinnoh remake would 100% be scaled up in size because of what the Switch is capable of compared to the Nintendo DS, so I doubt gym size would be that big of an issue.

Thought I'd do some speculation as to where Dynamax will be available:

Where I think Dynamax will be available:
  • In Max Raids in Wild Area-esque locations, possibly even the routes themselves
    • I could see GameFreak using temporal/spatial distortions to justify why these dens are appearing all over Sinnoh. The dens would be alternate/pocket dimensions or windows to the past radiating Galar particles.
  • Post-game battle facilities
    • The Sinnoh Battle Tower could probably be similar to Galar's Battle Tower.
    • As for the rest of the facilities, I don't think it would be too difficult and/or immersion breaking to expand them and make them more akin to large open-air stadiums.
      • For example, the Battle Castle could be reworked so that you battle in a massive courtyard, the Factory turned into a giant warehouse with an open roof, etc.
  • The Sinnoh League
  • Mt. Coronet
  • The Distortion World
  • Contest Halls (perhaps post-game only)
  • Gym leader rematches
I don't think Dynamax will be available in gyms, at least before the League. Though, I could see GameFreak using the aforementioned temporal/spatial distortions to justify including Dynamax in locations where supersized Pokémon wouldn't normally fit rather than recreating gyms and such to fit the mechanic.

They didn't add new gigantamax forms for the expansion pass so maybe only Garchomp would get one.

ORAS is one of my all-time favourites as well, as is HGSS. It's my belief that one of the reasons the remakes are so good is because much of the work - like the region and Pokemon designs - has already been done. This gives Game Freak more time than usual to polish and refine every aspect, and make the game the absolute best it can be.

I've spent relatively little time playing Diamond and Pearl compared to the other games as well. I feel as if I never really had a chance to form a proper emotional connection with Sinnoh, because I didn't have a DS when the games first came out. If we get Diamond and Pearl remakes this year (and I'm still saying "if" until the rumours are proven to be true!) it'll be a chance for me to hopefully form that connection at last.

Yeah I think it is only second to HGSS which is really hard to beat IMO. GameFreak having more time to work on it definitely makes sense. Although I do find with Nintendo they don’t rush their games as much and always allow more time to polish them!

Me too, I did the one playthrough and that was it. Although I still think Iwould really enjoy playing it again since it’s been so many years now and would feel so new again in a way playing it.

I will say the newer features like Dexnav is what made ORAS addictive for me. Funny enough I used to always dreams about having a 3D world but now we have it, I feel I miss the 2D look

In terms of Wild Areas, Floaroma Meadow, the great Marsh and Route 217 can be easily transformed into Wild Areas. The former two were wide open areas on the originals and latter was a Safari Zone and thinking back how they changed the one in ORAS, they can just turn it into a wild area. Maybe they can use the Lets Go catching mechanics in that specific area instead of the usual one.

The underground should the main wild area. An underground cave system but this time with heights and depths and the previous features like the mining and hidden bases mixed with the raid dens and the other stuff from the wild area.

That are three smaller wild areas. One early game, the second mid game and the last late game and the big one in the Underground.

It is interesting that there has not yet been a Pokemon game with actual time travel!!

I feel like it would be very compatible with the Sinnoh lore and environments!

Of course, that would be connected to Dialga, what about Palkia? there could be, instead of either one or two different time periods other than the present, one or two additional parallel versions of the Sinnoh present. that would be potentially really difficult to create in 3D, but if they were working on it for many years, i think it would be well within reach!!

I am not sure what the plot reasoning for Dialga or Palkia appearing to the hero character and allowing them to travel between different time periods and parallel Sinnohs would be, but i feel like there are plenty of ways it would make sense and feel natural! i am not expecting anything like this, but it would be a pleasant surprise!!

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky has time travel and I believe the Celebi event in HGSS also involves time traveling, but I could be wrong.

Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs had time travel as well.

Yeah, there's been several instances of time travel, mainly involving Celebi, but not to a major degree, only for short segments of the story. A larger scale game with time travel fully integrated into the game, kind of like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, would definitely be interesting. That will probably only happen in a new generation game built around the mechanic though, not Sinnoh remakes. If Sinnoh is going to get anything of that nature, it's going to be something small like the previous instances.

They added ones for Venusaur and Blastoise along with Urshifu.

Plus the Galar Starters, so 7 new Gigantamax forms in total.

and I believe the Celebi event in HGSS also involves time traveling, but I could be wrong.

That’s correct. It’s not much, but you get to travel back to shortly after Giovanni’s defeat at the hands of Red for a brief scene with Silver, and then to the time of the Radio Tower takeover for a battle against Giovanni. (Meaning that the reason why he didn’t respond to Team Rocket’s summons is because your future self was battling him just a few miles away! :p)

What about Z Moves?
Alola only

Likewise, I actually think Dynamax will be exclusive to Galar. Both Z-Moves and Dynamax are tied in to the culture of their respective regions, unlike Mega Evolution which can fit in comfortably anywhere. I know there are plenty of ways that Dynamax could be incorporated into Sinnoh in an effective manner gameplay-wise, but from a thematic point of view it might not work.

I mean, I may be proven wrong in a couple of months' time. Perhaps Game Freak can find a way to blend Dynamax seamlessly into Sinnoh's culture and lore. But I'm not sure if I'd particularly want to see that, personally. I enjoy the noisy spectacle of Dynamax in Galar - it fits right in there - but Sinnoh has always had a more tranquil atmosphere than the other regions, and Dynamax might spoil that.

Having said that, though...
  • Contest Halls (perhaps post-game only)
...Dynamax Contests would be amazing.

I could see the Pal Park being replaced with something like the Max Raid Den - somewhere to catch Pokemon that don't normally appear in the region.

In terms of Wild Areas, I could imagine the three lakes being mini wild areas where you get full camera control. I don't think they'd deviate too far from the routes as it is a remake, and not a complete reinvention.

I think DLC is probably more than likely - the base games could have just the battle tower, then the first lot of DLC unlocks the other facilities, and things like the expanded battle resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom