• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think mega Latios and Latias have differently-shaped eyes.

Not sure about the shape, but they do have differently coloured eyes - Latios's are red, while Latias's are yellow (same as their base forms).

Edit: Actually now that you mention it, I'm comparing the models (Latios, Latias), and in fact when they Mega Evolve, their eye shapes become more alike. Normally, Latios's eyes are a lot narrower than Latias's. Mega Latias does have slightly larger irises than Mega Latios, though. Physiologically, base Latias and Latios also have some other notable differences that the Megas lack - such as Latios having larger "foot" fins (which protrude straight rather than at an angle) and longer head fins.

Last edited:
I think Latias and Latios' Megas looking alike is quite deliberate. Some Pokemon seem to revert to a more primal, unevolved state when they Mega Evolve (making it even more similar to Groudon and Kyogre's Primal Reversion). For example, Aerodactyl regains its true prehistoric form, Ampharos gets its wool back, and Tyranitar has Pupitar's glowing eyes on its chest. The Mega form for Latias and Latios shows how the two species share a common anscestor, with the purple colouration being a mixture of the base forms' red and blue.

Last edited:
I thought the implication behind the Mega Latis was that they look the same because they're technically male and female versions of the same species (but not for gameplay purposes, like the Nidos and Volbeat/Illumisé), and megas don't have gender differences. I do think the idea of Mega Evolutions being atavism is cool, though, especially Ampharos being descended from dragons.

They should just retcon Megas and Dynamax into the same thing.
I wouldn't say retcon since megas and dynamax are very different. But I wish they had made gigantamax forms similar to megas in the post-game and let them be used outside of the stadium/raid context without being super-sized if they hold an item or something?

I thought the implication behind the Mega Latis was that they look the same because they're technically male and female versions of the same species (but not for gameplay purposes, like the Nidos and Volbeat/Illumisé), and megas don't have gender differences.

I mean, nothing's been said concretely so I think you could interpret it however you want. Personally, I never looked any deeper into it than "they're twins, and the Megas are making them even more twin-like" but whatever the case may be, it doesn't really make me like the Mega designs. Bad enough that they're basically the same and don't even change their type or ability, but they also seem less aerodynamic than the originals which was always one of the cool things about them, how they tuck their arms in to become more streamlined for air travel.

The more I think about it; the more I'm starting to doubt that Dynamax will be in Diamond/Pearl. The only thing that really makes me think it will is the photo Ohmori took of Dawn with the Dynamax clouds above her.

(I can't find the tweet, so it may have been someone else.)

Much like the signature Z-moves, Dynamax wasn't evenly distributed across gens like Megas were when they were introduced. Instead, Its mostly just Gen 1 and Galar Pokemon with Garbador and Melmetal being exceptions. And even then, it wasn't that many gen 1 pokemon with three of them being basically just for lolz.

In order to implement it into Diamond and Pearl; I feel like they'd have to make at least 9 new forms + ones for the starters and that seems a bit unlikely. It could be that Dynamax would play a much different role and additional forms wouldn't be necessary, but that also seems a bit unlikely.

Random, but in DPP remakes, especially in a huge anniversary year, I think it’s the perfect time to do what I’ve been wanting them to do forever: show what fossil Pokémon were like in ancient times.

Something like ultra wormholes that take you across spacetime is something I mentioned here a while ago, where you could visit a part of an old game (in the old graphics! Imagine warping to a little part of RB Kanto and running around as part of chasing Cyrus down or something). Now imagine one of the places you visit is ancient Sinnoh or whatever, and you can catch Ancient Omanyte that’s Water/Bug or Ancient Lileep that’s Grass/Water... Ancient Shieldon that’s pure Steel. Etc.

The more I think about it; the more I'm starting to doubt that Dynamax will be in Diamond/Pearl. The only thing that really makes me think it will is the photo Ohmori took of Dawn with the Dynamax clouds above her.

(I can't find the tweet, so it may have been someone else.)

Much like the signature Z-moves, Dynamax wasn't evenly distributed across gens like Megas were when they were introduced. Instead, Its mostly just Gen 1 and Galar Pokemon with Garbador and Melmetal being exceptions. And even then, it wasn't that many gen 1 pokemon with three of them being basically just for lolz.

In order to implement it into Diamond and Pearl; I feel like they'd have to make at least 9 new forms + ones for the starters and that seems a bit unlikely. It could be that Dynamax would play a much different role and additional forms wouldn't be necessary, but that also seems a bit unlikely.

I think the issue with Dynamax is that you will also have to include raid battles, and the wild area. This poses the question of how far do you take a remake? Traditionally, Gamefreak's remakes are usually 1/1 with some minor variances, but if you start to include all of these features, then it will feel less of a remake. The inclusion of Dynamax also means that you would have to redesign the gyms into large stadiums. Then you are left with a giant empty stadium unless you turn it into crowds like they did in SWSH. It's a tricky situation and its hard to predict what they will do here. The beauty of Mega evolutions is that they didn't have to change the game around it. You can't do that with Dynamax.

Also, we have to remind ourselves that Gamefreak went to the extent of highlighting how bad mega evolutions were in Sun and Moon. I'm not sure if they even want it in the franchise anymore.

Also, we have to remind ourselves that Gamefreak went to the extent of highlighting how bad mega evolutions were in Sun and Moon. I'm not sure if they even want it in the franchise anymore.

People read into that waaaaaay too much. It’s just flavor text. The Pokédex being a bit dark or graphic is nothing new, and if Mega Evolution is so “bad,” then why did they throw it into cutesy, light-hearted LGPE? (And that’s another thing - it’s only been gone for one game! And Pokémon GO recently added Mega Evolution as well. It’s hardly been eradicated from the franchise, in fact it’s gotten pretty good publicity over the last few years.)

People read into that waaaaaay too much. It’s just flavor text. The Pokédex being a bit dark or graphic is nothing new, and if Mega Evolution is so “bad,” then why did they throw it into cutesy, light-hearted LGPE? (And that’s another thing - it’s only been gone for one game! And Pokémon GO recently added Mega Evolution as well. It’s hardly been eradicated from the franchise, in fact it’s gotten pretty good publicity over the last few years.)
Mega Evolution also got added to Mystery Dungeon DX just last year. It's pretty popular and I won't be surprised if it returns.

That said I am not really expecting it in DP remakes if they're this gen (although I guess Mega Garchomp already existing would be convenient for Cynthia).

Mega Evolution also got added to Mystery Dungeon DX just last year. It's pretty popular and I won't be surprised if it returns.

That said I am not really expecting it in DP remakes if they're this gen (although I guess Mega Garchomp already existing would be convenient for Cynthia).

There's also Mega Gallade for Lucian. (Or Alakazam).

You could technically also use Heracross or Scizor for Aaron, but one was only on his team in Pt and his 'ace' is Drapion.

'kay, let me participate with my speculation about the totally-confirmed gen 4 remakes!

Realistically speaking, I expect them the be Sword/Shield, but in Sinnoh, with Sinnoh characters; following the DP story with the added bit of Dynamax. Which I'm sure a good chunk of people will whine and complain about, but as someone who really loves SwSh, that just gets me hyped.
As said above, I fully expect Dynamax to be added to the DP remakes. It's this gen's gimmick, after all, and if not for the fact that Mega Evolution was also a thing in ORAS, gen 7 & Let's Go, people would say the same about Mega Evolution's odds to be in a remake as they do now about Dynamax - "too tied into the lore of XY!" You can argue against that point now, "it was never specifically said that it could only ever really just happen in Kalos!" but honestly, that was at the very least heavily implied and only on hindsight can we say "Well, yeah, okay...."
The only thing Dynamax needs are powerspots and dens. And - correct me if I'm wrong - we hardly know anything about how they come to be in the first place, other than something-something energy of Eternatus. Absolutely nothing stops Magnolia (or even Sonia, sent by Magnolia) from appearing in the DP remakes to research the Dynamax phenomenon of the Sinnoh region to find out more about the origin of it. For all we know, Arceus, Giratina, Dialga and/or Palkia can cause power spots and dens to appear, or something.
Well, also I just really look forward to see a G-Max Torterra.
On the other hand, I'd say Dynamax probably won't be used until post game by gym leaders, the E4 or Cynthia. As others said, gyms aren't stadiums in Sinnoh and I feel like Game Freak would rather keep the original feel of the Sinnoh league over shoving Dynamax into the gym battles. I fully expect Cyrus to use a Dyna/G-Max Pokémon, though. And I fully expect Dynamax to be a thing for rematches - if they are a thing - in the post game.

Other than that, I'm sure they'll pick a Sinnoh dex (hopefully Platinum, worst case DP) and later-gen Pokémon will be found in the post game and/or raids; if only to stay as faithful to the original DP as they can be. You can't tell me it'd feel very DP to walk around with a Talonflame in your playthrough party. Houndoom, Rapidash or Magmortar on the other hand....

Additionally, I could see them turn the post game island (I forgot the name....but you know what I'm talking about!) into a Wild Area, as it's likely the ideal place for it. Or rather, the only place in Sinnoh besides Pal Park I could see being changed into one. I don't think any other route's design really allows for it to be turned into a wild area, and the unterground becoming a Wild Area just seems silly..... I can either see them recreating what the original underground did but with online multiplayer instead of local nowadays (hide traps, dig for stuff in a minigame, if we're really lucky secret bases?) or simply cut it out.

Necessarily, the games will be easier, of course. Not only because of the new constant exp share (assuming they will stick to that), but also...geez, think about it! Lately I've played Platinum, and my Prinplup's best STAB move until its level was in the 20s was BUBBLE. While in current gens, you have a good chance to get a Scald TM around that point, and in the latest game it appeared in Prinplup already learns Bubble Beam on Lv. 19 or something. Not to forget that TMs are unlimited use nowadays. So - compared to the original DP - we'll have unlimited TM use for all TMs we get (and remember how you got a Stealth Rock TM from Roark?) and better moves. I genuinely wish for Gym leader movesets like Platinum (the heart attack I got when my Gliscor was hit by an Ice Fang from Byron's Steelix.... or my Empoleon hit by an Earthquake from Cyrus' Gyarados) but I can't really say I expect them.

Overall, I'll assume DP get about the same remake treatment as RS got with ORAS (which saddens me a bit because I'd still love to really try a Battle Frontier, and I'll miss my villa from Platinum.....), and - although I repeat myself - be SwSh in Sinnoh for the most part. But considering I really enjoyed ORAS, and love SwSh, I don't have much to fear or be pessimistic about.

On that note, I sure wonder how the PokéRadar will be done, and if the special Pokémon you could get as encounter on a route if you had the right GBA game in your NDS will just be added to the roster normally for the remakes.

Lastly - I lowkey expect there to be a special Switch for the DP remakes. It's an anniversary year, and it was already a little weird that SwSh "only" got a Switch Lite (and I say that as someone who prefers the Lite). They'd be stupid not to release a console bundle with their currently most anticipated remakes, and considering I've been thinking about a second Switch for a while, I might just grab that. (I'll get both versions anyway, and my starters will be Turtwig on one game and Piplup on the other. Sorry Chimchar, but Turtwig was my original starter on Diamond, and Piplup on Platinum, and I've only ever preferred the Fire starter in SwSh....)

'kay, let me participate with my speculation about the totally-confirmed gen 4 remakes!

Realistically speaking, I expect them the be Sword/Shield, but in Sinnoh, with Sinnoh characters; following the DP story with the added bit of Dynamax. Which I'm sure a good chunk of people will whine and complain about, but as someone who really loves SwSh, that just gets me hyped.

I agree. I'm fine with that. I think Dyna- and Gigantamax will take the 'centerstage' and Megas and Z-Moves, if they return, will be similar to how Alola had Megas as a post-game thing without any fuzz made about it.

As said above, I fully expect Dynamax to be added to the DP remakes. It's this gen's gimmick, after all, and if not for the fact that Mega Evolution was also a thing in ORAS, gen 7 & Let's Go, people would say the same about Mega Evolution's odds to be in a remake as they do now about Dynamax - "too tied into the lore of XY!" You can argue against that point now, "it was never specifically said that it could only ever really just happen in Kalos!" but honestly, that was at the very least heavily implied and only on hindsight can we say "Well, yeah, okay...."

Yeah, while it was tied to XY at first because of the energy of the Ultimate Weapon, ORAS made it so it is just tied to a certain kind of energy (That Devon Corp. created themselves). I fully expect Dynamax to be tied more so to the concepts of time and space and the possible distortions of it and such. With Dialga, Palkia and Giratina you got 3 perfect actors to play that roll and function as the token Eternatus.

Other than that, I'm sure they'll pick a Sinnoh dex (hopefully Platinum, worst case DP) and later-gen Pokémon will be found in the post game and/or raids; if only to stay as faithful to the original DP as they can be. You can't tell me it'd feel very DP to walk around with a Talonflame in your playthrough party. Houndoom, Rapidash or Magmortar on the other hand....

I think this is a bit of a fleeting dream. ORAS also incorporated Pokémon of generations that came after it. I'm afraid that is simply inevitable. I do understand the sentiment though.

Additionally, I could see them turn the post game island (I forgot the name....but you know what I'm talking about!) into a Wild Area, as it's likely the ideal place for it. Or rather, the only place in Sinnoh besides Pal Park I could see being changed into one. I don't think any other route's design really allows for it to be turned into a wild area, and the unterground becoming a Wild Area just seems silly..... I can either see them recreating what the original underground did but with online multiplayer instead of local nowadays (hide traps, dig for stuff in a minigame, if we're really lucky secret bases?) or simply cut it out.

The Great Marsh and potentially parts of the Underground could be reworked/expanded to become (part of) Wild Areas too. Between Pal Park, the Area Islands, Great Marsh and parts of the Underground, you'll have plenty of stuff to work with. (Unless they want to work the area that's between the 'triangle' of Pastoria, Veilstone and the other city into one so you have 'three possible exits and entrances'.

On that note, I sure wonder how the PokéRadar will be done, and if the special Pokémon you could get as encounter on a route if you had the right GBA game in your NDS will just be added to the roster normally for the remakes.

Probably the Platinum path and add stuff like Magby and Elekid's on regular routes. (Even though that's also dangerous on that part cause then people will go "Oh, it's a Platinum thing, could have included the Battle Frontier!")

Do you think there would be a Rotom Pokedex in Diamond and Pearl remakes? I personally think not. Finding the Rotom in the Old Chateau would lose its mystery and intrigue if you already had one living inside your Pokedex.

Either way, I suspect the Old Chateau Rotom will now have the regular wild battle music, rather then the legendary battle music it had in the original games.

In terms of why Mega Evolution was featured in other Pokemon-related material, just know it won't be the only gimmick that will appear. Z-Moves will eventually appear in spin-offs and Pokemon GO and so will Dynamax, it's only a matter of when.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom