• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think there would be a Rotom Pokedex in Diamond and Pearl remakes? I personally think not. Finding the Rotom in the Old Chateau would lose its mystery and intrigue if you already had one living inside your Pokedex.

Either way, I suspect the Old Chateau Rotom will now have the regular wild battle music, rather then the legendary battle music it had in the original games.

I think they're more likely to just redesign/augment the Sinnoh Pokédex design, like they did for the Hoenn Pokédex in ORAS.

Plus, ORAS had a number of little hints throughout that confirmed it still took place at the earlier end of the Pokémon "timeline," a long while before XY. (Obviously the prevalence of Mega Evolution contradicted this, but that was a big new mechanic that they probably wanted to show more of, not less.) I would expect Sinnoh remakes to do the same - to be vaguely "before" the newer games in the same generation. Which'd mean Rotom should still be relatively obscure rather than ubiquitous in technology. I know in just the other thread I quoted Masuda saying they don't think about the timeline too much, but I think he means they aren't super-nitpicky about it. We know they have a general sense of how the games' events are sequenced (Kanto/Hoenn > Johto/Sinnoh > Unova > Unova 2/Kalos > Alola > Galar).

You ever think PCs argue over who stopped the biggest/most impressive disaster?

I mean it would pretty much have to come down to Brendan/May, Lucas/Dawn, and Calem/Serena, no?

Red/Leaf - Stopped a mob boss from harassing a company
Ethan/Lyra/Kris - Stopped that mob boss's sloppy seconds from a pathetic attempt at regrouping
Brendan/May - Prevented planet-wide extinction (twice, if you count ORAS's Delta Episode)
Lucas/Dawn - Prevented the collapse of the universe (but I think that essentially boils down to just "prevented planet-wide extinction" again, since no one in Pokémon seems aware of alien civilizations in outer space)
Hilbert/Hilda - Stopped an authoritarian coup disguised as a social revolution
Nate/Rosa - Stopped a region-wide terrorist attack
Calem/Serena - Prevented planetary genocide
Elio/Selene - Saved a woman from herself, and/or prevented the region(/planet?) from being shrouded in darkness (which would prrrrrrobably have devastating effects on life, yes, but Ultra Megalopolis shows that long-term survival would still be possible under those conditions - and frankly, the situation depicted in the games was so fantastical and unrealistic that it's hard to really say what kind of scientific consequences there would actually be)
Victor/Gloria - Saved the region from being trampled by giants

If I wasn't so busy I'd write that fanfic.

Of course, if it was an argument over whose main villain is worse it would come down to an argument between the Unova !uartet and the Alola Originals. And I guess maybe the Sinnoh Kids.

Isn't the Darkest Day basically the Apocalyspe? Not just Dynamax Fest.

The games only ever speak of its effects in terms of the Galar region, and it doesn't appear in the mythologies of anywhere else, so I'm not inclined to think of it as a planet-wide catastrophe. Maybe if left unchecked it would become one, but that's not explained to us.

The games only ever speak of its effects in terms of the Galar region, and it doesn't appear in the mythologies of anywhere else, so I'm not inclined to think of it as a planet-wide catastrophe. Maybe if left unchecked it would become one, but that's not explained to us.
Yea, effectively I forgot about that.

Lucas/Dawn - Prevented the collapse of the universe (but I think that essentially boils down to just "prevented planet-wide extinction" again, since no one in Pokémon seems aware of alien civilizations in outer space)

Eh; it could be argued that Lucas/Dawn didn't do much of anything. Giratina was the one that stopped Cyrus; not the player. And all we really know was that Cyrus wanted to create a world without spirit. What exactly that means is anyone's guess.

Elio/Selene - Saved a woman from herself, and/or prevented the region(/planet?) from being shrouded in darkness (which would prrrrrrobably have devastating effects on life, yes, but Ultra Megalopolis shows that long-term survival would still be possible under those conditions - and frankly, the situation depicted in the games was so fantastical and unrealistic that it's hard to really say what kind of scientific consequences there would actually be)

In the original timeline, Elio/Selene also protected the people of Alola by capturing all the rampaging Ultra Beasts on behalf of the International Police. And in the Ultra timeline they did something similar on a smaller scale, helping the Ultra Recon Squad capture Blacephalon/Stakataka.

Lucas/Dawn is definitely the biggest hero in terms of the number of people and Pokemon saved. A few Pokemon species, like Clefairy and Elgyem, are believed to have come from space, so there's probably an understanding in the Pokemon world that there is life out there somewhere. Even in the real world, where no extraterrestrial life has been discovered yet, many scientists believe that it is likely to exist.

That being said, there's more to heroism than the scale of the prevented disaster. I wonder which of the protagonists was the bravest, in terms of risks taken or sacrifices made? This might actually be Lucas/Dawn again, in Platinum, where they journey through another dimension. Or perhaps Brendan/May in ORAS, who travels deep into the bowels of the earth, jumps onto the back of a highly dangerous primal beast, and rides it through molten lava/strong currents.

Eh; it could be argued that Lucas/Dawn didn't do much of anything. Giratina was the one that stopped Cyrus; not the player. And all we really know was that Cyrus wanted to create a world without spirit. What exactly that means is anyone's guess.

True, and even in DP you could argue that it’s Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf that do the work instead - although Lucas/Dawn still calms down the anguished Dialga/Palkia that Cyrus dragged out.

As for what his “world without spirit” would look like, Platinum at least says that it would basically be a sterile universe in which he is the sole lifeform.

(At any rate, I’m inclined to think that Cyrus’s plan was always d to fail. That’s what Cynthia believes, at least - Cyrus dares you to capture Giratina, thinking that it and the Distortion World are one and the same, and that if Giratina is weakened, the Distortion World will fall apart and you’ll be doing Cyrus’s work for him. But Cynthia argues that the world is bigger than just one Pokémon, and that catching Giratina won’t destroy anything, which turns out to be correct.)

In the original timeline, Elio/Selene also protected the people of Alola by capturing all the rampaging Ultra Beasts on behalf of the International Police. And in the Ultra timeline they did something similar on a smaller scale, helping the Ultra Recon Squad capture Blacephalon/Stakataka.

Oh yeah. Man, that moment in the originals is such an inconsequential nothing that I always forget it even happened. Still, in both cases, especially the latter, I suspect the damage would have been more localized - nothing on the scale of Hoenn or Sinnoh's disasters.

That being said, there's more to heroism than the scale of the prevented disaster. I wonder which of the protagonists was the bravest, in terms of risks taken or sacrifices made? This might actually be Lucas/Dawn again, in Platinum, where they journey through another dimension. Or perhaps Brendan/May in ORAS, who travels deep into the bowels of the earth, jumps onto the back of a highly dangerous primal beast, and rides it through molten lava/strong currents.

Naturally. Realistically I bet the protagonists would all get on well enough and would have more of a mutual respect for each other rather than a thirst for oneupmanship. But it's a funny thought experiment.

(Though for Brendan/May I would also like to mention riding into space on a dragon to smash an apocalyptic meteor almost as big as the one that wiped out the dinosaurs. The in-depth effects of that size of an impact are fucking wiiiiiiild.)

If the protagonists are anything like a certain aspiring Pokemon Master, then their first reaction upon seeing each other would be to battle.

As for what his “world without spirit” would look like, Platinum at least says that it would basically be a sterile universe in which he is the sole lifeform.

Are you referring to when Cyrus says " But that world isn't for the likes of Team Galactic. I seek an entirely new world solely for myself. "

I never interpreted that as in he literally wants a world with just himself in it. I think he was just referring to how he promised that he would let team Galactic help shape the new world, but in actuality, he's going to be the sole ruler or whatever. Or is there something I'm forgetting?

Cyrus seems kind of Ultron-y when you think about it. Comics Ultron, not movie Ultron.

People read into that waaaaaay too much. It’s just flavor text. The Pokédex being a bit dark or graphic is nothing new, and if Mega Evolution is so “bad,” then why did they throw it into cutesy, light-hearted LGPE? (And that’s another thing - it’s only been gone for one game! And Pokémon GO recently added Mega Evolution as well. It’s hardly been eradicated from the franchise, in fact it’s gotten pretty good publicity over the last few years.)

By expanding on this, I think some of the entries used were already around since the XY or ORAS days on the Mega Evolution's pages on their websites.

It wasn't a big deal back then, so it makes no sense for it to mean they hate them.

Do you think there would be a Rotom Pokedex in Diamond and Pearl remakes? I personally think not. Finding the Rotom in the Old Chateau would lose its mystery and intrigue if you already had one living inside your Pokedex.

Either way, I suspect the Old Chateau Rotom will now have the regular wild battle music, rather then the legendary battle music it had in the original games.

I think they'll just have a Poketch Rotom as the new Pokedex. I don't think it'd ruin the mystery of there being one inside the TV. Maybe they could give it a TV or toy robot form?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom