• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Omega and Alpha actually have anything to do with ORAS other than just happening to be on the primal forms?

Hmm. How about Diamond of Eternity and Pearl of Infinity?

Yes, that would be great! Phrased like that, those titles could actually refer to the Adamant and Lustrous Orbs, or even to Dialga and Palkia themselves in a metaphorical way.

Did Omega and Alpha actually have anything to do with ORAS other than just happening to be on the primal forms?

In the Book of Revelation, the phrase "I am the alpha and the omega" is often interpreted to mean "I am the beginning and the end" (or in other words, God is eternal), because alpha and omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.

There's always been a theme of beginnings and endings in Hoenn. An NPC says something along the lines of, "It all begins in the Cave of Origin, and all ends at Mt Pyre," which always stuck in my memory.

Come to think of it, if Game Freak weren't afraid to get a little bit biblical with their Hoenn remake titles, then perhaps Divinity Diamond wouldn't be too much of a stretch?

What about Light Diamond and Sound Pearl? Heart and Gold had nothing to do with Gold and Silver, neither did Alpha and Omega with Ruby and Sapphire.

Actually they did, vaguely. The Kimono Girls in HGSS seem to indicate that Ho-oh/Lugia will only appear to a trainer with a pure heart/soul. And the Primal Reversions are an ancient power (Alpha) that can bring about the end of the world (Omega). So whatever name they pick will likely relate to whatever theme they add to the lore and story.

Hmm. How about Diamond of Eternity and Pearl of Infinity?

I was going to say I couldn't think of a theme for the above, but you picked a good one. IDK that I like this _ of _ format because it's a bit too wordy, but Eternity Diamond and Infinity Pearl would be a good theme for the games. That could possibly tie into Cyrus wanting to make an enduring world that stretches across all creation. Plus in terms of the games' overall goal, it would be a good theme for a console game because console games are supposed to be vast experiences (Infinity) that keep you engaged for long periods of time (Eternity).

Now I'm going to be disappointed if this doesn't happen...

Last edited:
That seems obvious, but I remember when people predicted that ORAS' titles would have something do with water and earth.

The trickiest part about the names is that they have to work in every language. Heart and Soul is not only a word pair that makes sense in pretty much every language, but also a well-known concept of two elements that compliment each other. Alpha and Omega are probably the two best-known Greek letters and famously represent beginning and end, no matter which language you speak.

I can't really think of something that would work for Diamond and Pearl, though. I don't think they'd go for Adamant and Lustrous; the in-game orbs don't even have a consistent naming scheme, the Lustrous Orb is called "White Orb" in the German version, for example, and I doubt they'd name the remakes "Adamant Diamond" and "White Pearl" in those countries. I actually feel like they might go back to the beginning and end concept because it would fit in rather well, although obviously they can't use Alpha and Omega again.

Eternal and Infinity can work as names.

Not sure they'd do "Eternal" and "Infinity" specifically, that's a grammatical mismatch and that would make them look unprofessional (I know it's kind of a minor nitpick, but it would be very noticeable). And while Game Freak is Japanese and most of them probably don't understand English grammar, someone on that staff probably does and would point that out to them. It would be either "Eternity" and "Infinity" or "Eternal" and "Infinite". And given their naming patterns, they seem to go for nouns/concepts rather than adjectives/descriptors, so it would probably be "Eternity" and "Infinity".

Because I am a Pink Floyd fanboy, my nomination goes to "Shining Pearl" and "Crazy Diamond". :wynaut:
Josuke called; he wants his Stand back, Game Freak!
The Japanese names of Primordial Sea and Desolate Land are Sea of the Beginning and Land of the End. HeartGold and SoulSilver's titles don't have much to do with anything.
From a thematic perspective, I think the Heart and Soul parts of HGSS were meant to show how Johto was a more spiritual/traditional region compared to its next door neighbor Kanto.

As for the titles of the Sinnoh remakes, I’d go with something like “Father of Diamond” and “Mother of Pearl” for a couple of reasons:
  1. It has been speculated by Bulbapedia that the mythology of the Creation Trio, or at least Dialga’s and Palkia’s contribution, was inspired by the Shinto creation myth with Izanagi and Izanami, especially due to their ties to the location of the Spear Pillar since the previously mentioned Shinto myth involves one island being created with a Spear.
  2. Not only does the “father” in “Father of Diamond” allude to Izanagi, but it also doubles as a reference to Father Time.
  3. In addition to the "mother" in "Mother of Pearl" allude to Izanami, but said title is also another name for nacre, the material pearls are made of.
Of course, we would also end up getting an unused trademark for Platinum as well. Perhaps that would be "Child of Platinum" or something similar?

The trickiest part about the names is that they have to work in every language. Heart and Soul is not only a word pair that makes sense in pretty much every language, but also a well-known concept of two elements that compliment each other.
Then the Spanish translators came and decided to name the games "Oro HeartGold" and "Plata SoulSilver" :bulbaFacepalm:

Josuke called; he wants his Stand back, Game Freak!

From a thematic perspective, I think the Heart and Soul parts of HGSS were meant to show how Johto was a more spiritual/traditional region compared to its next door neighbor Kanto.

As for the titles of the Sinnoh remakes, I’d go with something like “Father of Diamond” and “Mother of Pearl” for a couple of reasons:
  1. It has been speculated by Bulbapedia that the mythology of the Creation Trio, or at least Dialga’s and Palkia’s contribution, was inspired by the Shinto creation myth with Izanagi and Izanami, especially due to their ties to the location of the Spear Pillar since the previously mentioned Shinto myth involves one island being created with a Spear.
  2. Not only does the “father” in “Father of Diamond” allude to Izanagi, but it also doubles as a reference to Father Time.
  3. In addition to the "mother" in "Mother of Pearl" allude to Izanami, but said title is also another name for nacre, the material pearls are made of.
Of course, we would also end up getting an unused trademark for Platinum as well. Perhaps that would be "Child of Platinum" or something similar?

I find the Shinto connection interesting but it feels slightly flimsy like the theory of the Kalos legends being connected to Norse mythology.

Are people going to make the connection between "Father of Diamond" and "father time"?

Yes, that would be great! Phrased like that, those titles could actually refer to the Adamant and Lustrous Orbs, or even to Dialga and Palkia themselves in a metaphorical way.

In the Book of Revelation, the phrase "I am the alpha and the omega" is often interpreted to mean "I am the beginning and the end" (or in other words, God is eternal), because alpha and omega are the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet.

There's always been a theme of beginnings and endings in Hoenn. An NPC says something along the lines of, "It all begins in the Cave of Origin, and all ends at Mt Pyre," which always stuck in my memory.

Come to think of it, if Game Freak weren't afraid to get a little bit biblical with their Hoenn remake titles, then perhaps Divinity Diamond wouldn't be too much of a stretch?

Why not just Adamant Diamond and Lustrous Pearl (And for the DLC Griseous Opal)?

Why not just Adamant Diamond and Lustrous Pearl (And for the DLC Griseous Opal)?
Like SlowGinFizzzz pointed out, the Lustrous Orb isn't called that in every language. In fact, most languages call it the white orb or some variation of that, including the original Japanese translation. It doesn't seem likely that they'd name a game for an English translation of an item.

They could vary the names of the versions to match the names of the items.

They could vary the names of the versions to match the names of the items.
I don't think that's likely as the names are consistent across languages, and I imagine that it's easier for marketing and such to have the same name across all languages rather than name them on a case-by-case basis. And, before you say it, I highly doubt GameFreak will break tradition on this considering all games appear to be named consistently across languages, and that naming them in this manner in probably more beneficial than having eight or more different name variations.
1611970014239.png
1611969985752.png
1611969879935.png
1611969952943.png
1611969853328.png
1611970206019.png
1611970190575.png
Then the Spanish translators came and decided to name the games "Oro HeartGold" and "Plata SoulSilver" :bulbaFacepalm:
Looking at the other languages section for HGSS, it appears that's not unique to the Spanish translators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom