• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to think Dawn Diamond and Dusk Pearl would be it, but someone here reminded me that there’s Digimon games with the Dawn/Dusk theme and that Pokémon used that theme for Dawn Wings and Dusk Mane last Gen...

So nowadays I’m going with Rising Diamond and Shining Pearl. Except for Fire & Leaf, every game pair (including every remake pair, except the let’s go games which are unique in many other ways too) has been two words that make a common “____ & ____” phrase. Rise & Shine is a very common saying (I think? It is in the states at least), and evokes the start of something new (which ties into the DPP plot of making a new world). Adding the -ing at the end makes them sound better to English speakers, something that Nintendo would factor in when finalizing titles. And the Japanese are familiar enough with the -ing conjugation of English verbs to make sense of it I believe.

I used to think Dawn Diamond and Dusk Pearl would be it, but someone here reminded me that there’s Digimon games with the Dawn/Dusk theme and that Pokémon used that theme for Dawn Wings and Dusk Mane last Gen...

You know what, I think Dawn Diamond and Dusk Pearl might be my favourite titles I've heard so far. Simple but effective. How dare Digimon and USUM use the idea first!

Mind you, perhaps having a game called Dawn Diamond with a character called Dawn in it would have been a little strange. (How about Dawn Diamond and Lucas Pearl? :LOL:)

If Digimon doesn't object, maybe there will be Alola remakes called Dawn Sun and Dusk Moon one day (or Dusk Sun and Dawn Moon - the Necrozma forms were named with the opposite word to what you'd expect).

So nowadays I’m going with Rising Diamond and Shining Pearl. Except for Fire & Leaf, every game pair (including every remake pair, except the let’s go games which are unique in many other ways too) has been two words that make a common “____ & ____” phrase. Rise & Shine is a very common saying (I think? It is in the states at least), and evokes the start of something new (which ties into the DPP plot of making a new world). Adding the -ing at the end makes them sound better to English speakers, something that Nintendo would factor in when finalizing titles. And the Japanese are familiar enough with the -ing conjugation of English verbs to make sense of it I believe.

"Rise and shine" is, indeed, a popular phrase over here in the UK too. It's a shame that Shine Pearl doesn't really work in English, because Rise Diamond sounds pretty cool in my opinion. Rising Diamond and Shining Pearl would be good, though (better than my idea of Bright Diamond and Shining Pearl).

Last edited:
If Digimon doesn't object, maybe there will be Alola remakes called Dawn Sun and Dusk Moon one day (or Dusk Sun and Dawn Moon - the Necrozma forms were named with the opposite word to what you'd expect).
Somewhat off-topic but I would like to point out that "Dawn and Dusk" were dub titles for those games. In the JPN they were "Sunburst and Moonlight" so there presumably wouldn't be any problem (in JPN at least) if they wanted to use Dawn and Dusk for Pokémon games.

People tend to call their two Digimon games Sun and Moon, too. I accidentally got a Digimon fan angry once by thinking he was talking about Pokemon.

There's a Rising Gundam and a Shining Gundam, so I would agree that this is true.
Oh, like those are the Japanese names for them? So the words are definitely ‘known’ to the Japanese then. Makes me feel even better about my guess.

I’m assuming we will find out in less than a month now... I can’t imagine them not revealing the titles on Pokémon Day for whatever games they are releasing during this anniversary year.

So anyone think Sinnohan forms will happen in the game? Which ones? Will they retcon existing Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex to have them or add new ones? And will they be obtainable in the main game or post game? I had a few ideas myself:

Sinnohan Lillipup (Normal) -> Sinnohan Herdier (Normal) -> Sinnohan Stoutland (Normal/Ice)

The Sinnohan Lillipup line has adapted even further to colder climates of the Sinnoh region with Stoutland now gaining the Ice type. Sinnohan Lillipup and Herdier now gain thicker fur like Unovan Stoutland, meanwhile Sinnohan Stoutland can trap and release cold energy with its fur.

Sinnohan Sunkern (Grass/Fire) -> Sinnohan Sunflora (Grass/Fire) -> Sunflara (Grass/Fire)

The grassy, sun soaked fields near Floaroma have caused the Sunkern line to gain the Fire type, allowing them to convert the solar energy they absorb into devastating Fire attacks. Further exposure to heat through the use of a Fire Stone (Sinnohan Sunkern now evolves through level up, not a Sun Stone) now causes Sinnohan Sunflora to evolve even further into a new Pokemon called Sunflara. Sunflara can now give off its own solar energy causing the plants around it to grow rapidly.

Sinnohan Helioptile (Electric/Fire) -> Sinnohan Heliolisk (Electric/Fire)

Sinnohan Helioptile has grown around the Valley Windworks area and has learned to reflect the sun's energy back as Fire types.

Paras -> Sinnohan Parasect (Bug/Ghost)

The spectral energy in various parts of the Sinnoh region has caused Parasect's mushroom to possess its body becoming a Ghost type.

Sinnohan Ekans (Poison/Psychic) -> Sinnohan Arbok (Poison/Psychic) -> Thypno (Poison/Psychic)

The Sinnohan Ekans line has developed Psychic powers which it uses to hypnotize its prey. Sinnohan Ekans uses its rattle, while Sinnohan Arbok uses its face markings to lure prey to it and then attack with its Poison. Sinnohan Arbok can also evolve even further to a new Pokemon called Thypno (in case you didn't pick up on the naming scheme, Thypno is an anagram of python). Thypno curls its long body into a hypno wheel to hypnotize its prety.

Sinnohan Trapinch (Bug) -> Sinnohan Vibrava (Bug/Dragon) -> Sinnohan Flygon (Bug/Dragon)

The Sinnohan Trapinch line has adapted to Sinnoh's marshlands and become a Bug type. The Sinnohan Trapinch line is exclusive to Diamond.

Sinnohan Axew (Dragon) -> Sinnohan Fraxure (Dragon) -> Sinnohan Haxorus (Dragon/Steel)

The Sinnohan Axew line has adapted to the rocky environment near Mt. Coronet to make their tusks even harder, with Sinnohan Haxorus now becoming Dragon/Steel. The Sinnohan Axew line is exclusive to Pearl.

Sinnohan Cubchoo (Ice/Water) -> Sinnohan Beartic (Ice/Water)

The Sinnohan Cubchoo line has adapated to live in more aquatic environments, notably the Lake Acuity area. As a result, it has gained the Water type.

Sinnohan Dratini (Dragon) -> Sinnohan Dragonair (Dragon) -> Dragonymph (Dragon/Fairy)

The Sinnohan Dratini line has migrated to the Mt. Coronet area and as a result, no longer evolve into Dragonite. Instead, the mystical energy of Mt. Coronet cause Sinnohan Dragonair to evolve into a new Pokemon called Dragonymph and which retains Dragonair's serpentine body tyhpe and gains the Fairy type.

I'd like to see them in the main game because the variety could stand to be slightly better, but knowing Game Freak they'd probably relegate the new ones to post game because they like making the games religiously similar to the originals because nostalgia. That's something that really irritates the hell out of me because a lot of the older dexes have major variety issues that could use newer lines to help fix. Even Sinnoh, which already got a dex expansion in Platinum could still use further improvements because it has a whopping 2 Dragon families (Garchomp and Altaria).

For Sinnohan forms, I think anything is possible. Manectric, Altaria, etc certainly did not mega evolve in RSE, but that did not stop Gamefreak from having them do something new in in Hoenn in ORAS.

The safest bet is for Pokémon not in the main DP Pokédex to have made their way into Sinnoh and changed forms. But really anything can happen... this will assuredly be a ‘different’ Sinnoh than that of DPP in the same way it was a vastly different Hoenn in ORAS.

It would be sweet if the Sinnohan forms were given to Pokemon that were only obtainable in the originals via gba ports. It would be the kind of callback only longtime fans would get.

What were those pokemon?

I find it really sad that, prior to platinum, 3 of the pokemon that were exclusive to the GBA insertion gimmick were pokemon that were given new evolutions. Seriously, I'll never understand what they were thinking when they put together Diamond and Pearl's pokedex.

The pokemon in question are Gligar, Elekid and Magby.

Personally I’d be surprised if Sinnohan forms were added - to me that kind of retcon is a bit too out there unless it’s for Pokémon from gen 5 onwards. But even then I’m really not expecting it, I suspect any new Pokémon “design budget” for remakes in this gen will be new G-Max forms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom