• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

There's no way in hell every single one of those lines is getting a Sinnohan form, that's too many. I would expect about 5-10 families at most. Actually even my list is a tad optimistic admittedly, I chose that many because those forms + the missing legendaries would round the Sinnoh Dex out to 250 (with an additional 250 added in post game).

I'd be surprised if such remakes wouldn't have regional variants, considering they could have so easily been a one-time thing.

Also, I'm starting to wonder of the name of the DS was supposed to stand for multiple things, and Dual Slot was one of them.

Also, I'm starting to wonder of the name of the DS was supposed to stand for multiple things, and Dual Slot was one of them.
Dual Screen could also have been possible, as Nintendo systems usually have names that correlate to their functionality.

Way I heard it it stands for Developer's System and Nintendo just went along with the Dual Screen thing cause why not.

I'd be surprised if such remakes wouldn't have regional variants, considering they could have so easily been a one-time thing.

I do expect them to appear in some capacity, this is a mechanic they've really stuck with since they introduced it (and even built on with regional evolutions). I think it's more a matter of how many and when than if.

Somewhat off-topic but I would like to point out that "Dawn and Dusk" were dub titles for those games. In the JPN they were "Sunburst and Moonlight" so there presumably wouldn't be any problem (in JPN at least) if they wanted to use Dawn and Dusk for Pokémon games.

Ah, I didn't know that. As far as I'm aware, words in common usage like dawn and dusk can't be copyrighted anyway, so there probably wouldn't be any problems from a legal perspective. If I'm right about that, then the only thing deterring Pokemon from using those words outside of Japan would be the possibility of being confused with the Digimon games (which surely shouldn't be an issue anymore because those games came out years ago).

Personally I’d be surprised if Sinnohan forms were added - to me that kind of retcon is a bit too out there unless it’s for Pokémon from gen 5 onwards. But even then I’m really not expecting it, I suspect any new Pokémon “design budget” for remakes in this gen will be new G-Max forms.

I think Sinnohan forms are unlikely, unless - like you say - they're for Pokemon from Gen 5 onwards. There's bound to be flashy new forms for Dialga and Palkia, though, and perhaps some new Gigantamax forms or Mega Evolutions if either of those mechanics return.

Last edited:
I doubt it, very few games actually made use of the dual slot function, while the dual screen was made a big part of a lot of games' design.
Way I heard it it stands for Developer's System and Nintendo just went along with the Dual Screen thing cause why not.
Huh, I'd never heard the developer's system thing before, but that's apparently what they were saying even on FAQ sites. Doesn't say which came first, though.

I watched the Cyrus event from Pokemon Masters on YouTube a few days ago and I noticed that they made a big deal about the multiverse. Cynthia is from Platinum but the Cyrus that showed up was from Pokemon Pearl. I guess this confirms once and for all that DP isn't less canon than Platinum even if Platinum has been treated as the "canon" Sinnoh game for a long time.

I hope this won't be the case for the remakes since Platinum is better than DP. Although I wouldn't mind if the multiverse made a return. Imagine if we could even travel to another universe where Cyrus succeeded. But maybe that would be too dark? I liked the alternate dimension with Guzzlord and the Delta episode in ORAS where the original RSE universe was in danger (could have been cool if we could have had a small retro section where we played in the old GBA universe and saw their side of the story since Steven kind of wanted to sacrifice them to save his own butt lol).

I can see them adding Fire type Sinnohan Forms to make up for the lack of Fire types in Sinnoh in general.

So would they add them to the main game then? Because otherwise, that doesn't really help. When you take into account the post game, Sinnoh has plenty of Fire types. The issue is that there's only 2 (DP)/5 (Platinum) families in the main game.

I was thinking that they could give regional forms to any Pokémon that weren't in the Platinum PokéDex. Also, maybe they could split the PokéDex into East Sinnoh, West Sinnoh, and Battle Zone.

That might be too tricky to implement, as it requires careful balancing of the species in the East and West side. I do think a mainland/Battle Zone split is likely though, one for the main game and one for the post game.

Thanks! Of these pokemon, I can't really see any of them having regional variants aside from maybe Ekans and Growlithe and maybe Teddiursa. A pure flying or Rock type Growlithe would have been cool. IDK what Ekans could be though.

I had an idea for an Ekans variant on the last page, it would be Poison/Psychic with a hypnosis theme (Ekans uses its rattle, Arbok uses its face marking, and it gains a new evolution called Thypno which curls up into a hypno wheel).

Also, what's the basis behind the Growlithe variants? I don't quite understand why you would give it those types. The only thing that really comes to mind for Growlithe to me is Dragon type due to Arcanine's classification as the "legendary" Pokemon (and even that's kind of tenuous at best).

Also, what's the basis behind the Growlithe variants? I don't quite understand why you would give it those types. The only thing that really comes to mind for Growlithe to me is Dragon type due to Arcanine's classification as the "legendary" Pokemon (and even that's kind of tenuous at best).

The Komainu and the Shisa is the inspiration behind a rock Arcanine.

I had an idea for an Ekans variant on the last page, it would be Poison/Psychic with a hypnosis theme (Ekans uses its rattle, Arbok uses its face marking, and it gains a new evolution called Thypno which curls up into a hypno wheel).

Yes I saw this and I like it but I'm not sure if it has anything to do with Hokkaido or Japan?

Personally, I would love it if they add new variants but the most likely I think is dimensional forms where they all look kinda nebular. I can't really imagine them integrating new creatures into the region.

Last edited:
I watched the Cyrus event from Pokemon Masters on YouTube a few days ago and I noticed that they made a big deal about the multiverse. Cynthia is from Platinum but the Cyrus that showed up was from Pokemon Pearl. I guess this confirms once and for all that DP isn't less canon than Platinum even if Platinum has been treated as the "canon" Sinnoh game for a long time.

I hope this won't be the case for the remakes since Platinum is better than DP. Although I wouldn't mind if the multiverse made a return.
This makes me wonder if the DP remakes could also double as a Stealth Sequel to Platinum, perhaps with Platinum Cyrus messing up thing in the Distortion World and affecting multiple universes since that dimension is outside the boundaries of time and space.

This makes me wonder if the DP remakes could also double as a Stealth Sequel to Platinum, perhaps with Platinum Cyrus messing up thing in the Distortion World and affecting multiple universes since that dimension is outside the boundaries of time and space.
That would honestly be amazing.

Regional variants were originally created to celebrate the 20th anniversary, so I can’t see them NOT having new ones for the 25th. Pearl and Platinum are different Sinnohs... these new games will also be new Sinnoh.

I think the komainu/Shisa rock type Growlithe idea that @SerenaToAlola mentioned is a perfect example... celebrating an iconic Pokémon in a way that also celebrates the Japanese roots of the company.

(I’m still also rooting for Ancient variants of the fossils! That’s only if they play with spacetime to the extent I hope they do... they can even include the ‘correct’ original Galar fossils in a little side trip to past Galar while chasing Cyrus or Rainbow Rocket.)

Did SS underdeliver? Or was it merely a main-series pokemon game?

Did SS underdeliver? Or was it merely a main-series pokemon game?
The base-game did underdeliver a little bit, but I enjoyed the balanced difficulty in Gyms even with me being an experienced player. The DLC is where the game got fixed though, with features such as Following Pokemon that could've just been in the base game from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom