• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regional variants were originally created to celebrate the 20th anniversary, so I can’t see them NOT having new ones for the 25th. Pearl and Platinum are different Sinnohs... these new games will also be new Sinnoh.

I think the komainu/Shisa rock type Growlithe idea that @SerenaToAlola mentioned is a perfect example... celebrating an iconic Pokémon in a way that also celebrates the Japanese roots of the company.

(I’m still also rooting for Ancient variants of the fossils! That’s only if they play with spacetime to the extent I hope they do... they can even include the ‘correct’ original Galar fossils in a little side trip to past Galar while chasing Cyrus or Rainbow Rocket.)

I really want correct versions of the Galar fossils. I want my raptor and Stegosaurus Mons dammit!

Did SS underdeliver? Or was it merely a main-series pokemon game?

Yes, very much so. Considering what other developers and IPs have been able to do with the Switch with RPGs/adventure games and a 50% increase in the cost, much more drastic improvements were needed to justify the $60 price tag. Even if you remove the Dexit controversy from the equation, the base game of SwSh had the least obtainable Pokemon of any game since Emerald aside from LGPE (which was also a tremendously disappointing Switch game), the graphics weren't that much better than the 3DS, the region was still painfully linear and wasn't much bigger than the 3DS regions, there wasn't much else to do. About the only largely noticeable improvement was the Wild Area, and even that is painfully small and empty compared to similar areas on other Switch games.

So would they add them to the main game then? Because otherwise, that doesn't really help. When you take into account the post game, Sinnoh has plenty of Fire types. The issue is that there's only 2 (DP)/5 (Platinum) families in the main game.
I don't know when nickdt is online, but I assume they meant main game from the context.

Did SS underdeliver? Or was it merely a main-series pokemon game?
Yes, very much so. Considering what other developers and IPs have been able to do with the Switch with RPGs/adventure games and a 50% increase in the cost, much more drastic improvements were needed to justify the $60 price tag. Even if you remove the Dexit controversy from the equation, the base game of SwSh had the least obtainable Pokemon of any game since Emerald aside from LGPE (which was also a tremendously disappointing Switch game), the graphics weren't that much better than the 3DS, the region was still painfully linear and wasn't much bigger than the 3DS regions, there wasn't much else to do. About the only largely noticeable improvement was the Wild Area, and even that is painfully small and empty compared to similar areas on other Switch games.
Can we please not steer the conversation back into Sword and Shield in the DP Remake thread again? There are threads for it. Enough.
I would like to see Regional Variants in Sinnoh. Actually, with Sinnoh’s emphasis on evolution, I could see there being some regional evolutions too. Hopefully we’ll get non-Galar variants for Obstagoon, Cursola, and Sirfetch’d.

Last edited:
So in other words, it was merely a main-series pokemon game.

If by that you mean, it was just the same as ever, then yes. But the point is that "same as ever" isn't as acceptable on the Switch as it was on past handhelds because the Switch, being a home console as well, is capable of much, much more to the point where it should be blowing previous Pokemon games out of the water. Whatever the case, I don't believe that asking for DPPt + SwSh graphics + Sinnoh forms is really asking that much. If I really wanted to go pie in the sky on expectations, I'd say overhaul the whole region to be like the Wild Area, but that requires a significant overhaul that would likely be more trouble than it's worth. This is more than reasonable a request, the game was already quite expansive and deep in its own way to justify the $60 price tag, but throwing in some modern touches like the 3D graphics and an expanded dex with variants would help make the game feel closer to a legitimate jump from DS to Switch.

I don't know when nickdt is online, but I assume they meant main game from the context.
Yeah, when people talk about the lack of Fire types in Sinnoh, they mean the fact there's only two or so lines available pre-postgame in DP as that's when most if not all teambuilding happens.
how about a Water/Dark Sandile? It would be fitting to see it being the original form of Sandile before all the water dried up.
That seems more fitting for a lush tropical region than a cold, mountainous one.

Yeah, when people talk about the lack of Fire types in Sinnoh, they mean the fact there's only two or so lines available pre-postgame in DP as that's when most if not all teambuilding happens.

That's a reasonable assumption, but you can't always assume that because you don't always know what the other person is thinking. You never know, they may not be aware of the distinctions between DP main game vs. Platinum main game vs. post game, they might not know exactly how many they are. I'm a bit confused about in general is whether or not some people think Platinum's 5 fire types in the main game (Infernape, Rapidash, Flareon, Magmortar, Houndoom) are enough. It's kind of on the fence because while you do have several options there and it is enough to give Flint a full team when you fight him, it's not enough for people that might want to do a monotype run, so it's hard to say either way. So I just asked anyway and I'm going to let nickdt speak for themselves.

That's a reasonable assumption, but you can't always assume that because you don't always know what the other person is thinking. You never know, they may not be aware of the distinctions between DP main game vs. Platinum main game vs. post game, they might not know exactly how many they are. I'm a bit confused about in general is whether or not some people think Platinum's 5 fire types in the main game (Infernape, Rapidash, Flareon, Magmortar, Houndoom) are enough. It's kind of on the fence because while you do have several options there and it is enough to give Flint a full team when you fight him, it's not enough for people that might want to do a monotype run, so it's hard to say either way. So I just asked anyway and I'm going to let nickdt speak for themselves.
Actually did a mono fire run in platinum, but traded myself a numel to even the team out to 6

Actually did a mono fire run in platinum, but traded myself a numel to even the team out to 6

Right, but trading is a less than ideal solution, doubly so with Dexit and questions about what's going to be compatible with the games. Are they going to even let you trade something over from SwSh? That's not clear yet, and if the answer is no, you might be high and dry on that one. So they really should have something else in the main games.

Can we please not steer the conversation back into Sword and Shield in the DP Remake thread again? There are threads for it. Enough.
I would like to see Regional Variants in Sinnoh. Actually, with Sinnoh’s emphasis on evolution, I could see there being some regional evolutions too. Hopefully we’ll get non-Galar variants for Obstagoon, Cursola, and Sirfetch’d.
I’d love to see a Fire/Electric Sinnohan Helioptile line, somewhere before the fourth gym, to help bulk out Sinnoh’s meagre fire types. Fire fits with the Helio part of the line’s name.

It could even be a candidate for a regional evo, Obstagoon style.

I’d love to see a Fire/Electric Sinnohan Helioptile line, somewhere before the fourth gym, to help bulk out Sinnoh’s meagre fire types. Fire fits with the Helio part of the line’s name.

It could even be a candidate for a regional evo, Obstagoon style.

Not sure if you're referencing my ideas, but I did post an idea for Electric/Fire Sinnohan Helioptile obtainable around the Valley Windworks area. I didn't give it an evolution, but I also had a Grass/Fire Sinnohan Sunflora that did evolve. If I had to choose, I'd rather have Sunflora, but Helioptile would be a nice addition with a fairly unique type combination as well (the only other Pokemon that would have that combo is Heat Rotom).

What about something new that predicts Gen 9?
I've thought of a literal vampire moth and a zombie great bittern.

Not sure if you're referencing my ideas, but I did post an idea for Electric/Fire Sinnohan Helioptile obtainable around the Valley Windworks area. I didn't give it an evolution, but I also had a Grass/Fire Sinnohan Sunflora that did evolve. If I had to choose, I'd rather have Sunflora, but Helioptile would be a nice addition with a fairly unique type combination as well (the only other Pokemon that would have that combo is Heat Rotom).

I always pictured a grass/Fire sunflora being a mega evolution, but a regional form sounds a lot better.

Hadn’t seen it, but clearly great minds think alike!

I don't like the idea of regional forms in Sinnoh. Ash never got to see regional forms when he was in Sinnoh, so why should they be suddenly introduced now? Pokémon can be Mega Evolved anywhere so the new Mega Evolutions in Hoenn were okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom