• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like the idea of regional forms in Sinnoh. Ash never got to see regional forms when he was in Sinnoh, so why should they be suddenly introduced now? Pokémon can be Mega Evolved anywhere so the new Mega Evolutions in Hoenn were okay.
We didn't originally get to see Ash participate in the Pokéathlon when he was in the Johto region either, yet they retconned both Ash and Brock knowing about it in the Johto Festival arc of the Sinnoh Anime. Having to retcon in something that didn't exist in the games beforehand isn't really a problem for the Anime given that happened.

Besides, since Ash and Goh are working for a research lab, Pokémon Journey's could easily give a mini-arc about them researching some newly-discovered Sinnohnian variants. It would be pretty good advertising for the Sinnoh remakes if you ask me.

Last edited:
but how can a pearl be infinite?

I mean it kinda makes sense to me, if you think of manufactured pearls which are the nice, clean, spherical ones. Picture a sphere, and it just goes round and round without ever hitting a definitive edge... it's kind of "infinite," in a way.

(Who wants a deep cut? I thought of this because there's an NPC in XY's Poké Ball Boutique who waxes philosophical about balls: "A round thing is wonderful, isn’t it? Because it goes on and on, and it has no end. Do you like round things, too?")

Did Omega and Alpha actually have anything to do with ORAS other than just happening to be on the primal forms?

It's always more of a thematic thing with these remake titles. ORAS gestured at the end/beginning dichotomy a few times in-narrative. Archie talks about using Kyogre to "return the world to its beginnings" because life originated from the sea I guess, while Maxie mentions using Groudon to bring the existing order to an end. The letter that Zinnia leaves behind for the player after the Delta Episode also spits some platitude about ends and beginnings.

I can't remember what it was I suggested exactly, but last time this topic came up in this thread, I remember mentioning that maybe they could do The Legend of Zelda-esque subtitles or something this time instead (think TLOZ: Oracle of Ages and TLOZ: Oracle of Seasons - so Pokémon: Diamond of the Something and Pokémon: Pearl of the Whatever). I feel like the prefix format is maybe a bit old-hat, and bound to become increasingly strained as time goes on? I could be wrong, but I don't see any harm in doing something different, either.

I find the Shinto connection interesting but it feels slightly flimsy like the theory of the Kalos legends being connected to Norse mythology.

Yeah, I think it's mostly a neat little cultural detail that really gets blown out of proportion.

You mean that time Zelda tried to be Pokemon.

Sure, although "Breath of the Wild" works as another example of what's on my mind - I just wanted to go with the obvious dualism one. Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! & Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! are already an in-series example of remakes using a different name format, but I think that styling is a little more indicative of them being a side-thing.

Pokemon Diamond: Into the Light
Pokemon Pearl: Into the Void

idk; I can't think of anything that sounds nice.

I think the problem is; when placing something after the main names; I feel inclined to use words like "legend", "destiny", "journey" or "adventure", but then it just sounds like an arc of the anime.

Also, I wonder if they wouldn't use "infinity" because of Gates to Infinity from the Mystery Dungeon series.

Regional Varients were a one off, however, they were so popular and allowed Gamefreak to create new Pokemon without inflating the numbers that it became such an obvious choice. I honestly think new pokemon will be replaced by varients in the future. The number is almost 1,000 and you have to ask yourself when is too much?

I don't like the idea of regional forms in Sinnoh. Ash never got to see regional forms when he was in Sinnoh, so why should they be suddenly introduced now? Pokémon can be Mega Evolved anywhere so the new Mega Evolutions in Hoenn were okay.

Same reason why Ash retravelled through Kanto and there were suddenly Hoenn Pokemon there.

I think it should be clear to everyone that GF will ruin Sinnoh.

If it looks like Let's Go, then it would be amazing. If it looks like Sword and Shield, then I likely won't get it. I don't really care about the rest, but I won't get a game that looks as bad as SWSH did.

Well, they did more than Pokémon ever did with version opposites, although almost by accident (OoA was supposed to be a Zelda 1 remake). I could go into more detail but I would derail the thread...

I wouldn’t mind that derailment, but I absolutely loved OoA and OoS! :p

Speaking of which, one of my pipe dreams for hypothetical remakes is that they'll give Porygon-Z an alternate form, or a new gimmick, or a character heavily associated with it, just so there'll be a disturbance in OLM studios.

I'd also like to see Porygon-Z get a new form. It would make sense, because Porygon is a manmade Pokemon that can be continually upgraded. Perhaps Porygon2 could also one day get an alternative evolution called Porygon3, which doesn't have any programming errors. It's a fascinating evolution family with so much potential.

The anime ban didn't deter Game Freak from creating Porygon2 and Porygon-Z, so I don't think new forms or evolutions are completely out of the question.

If you're already asking for regional variants, why stop there? Why not hope to get a couple completely new Pokémon introduced for the remake?

Personally I believe regional variants are more fitting for new gens than for remakes. For once because by now it were new gens to add them, and also because I feel the biggest selling point of remakes is "nostalgia" in a way. And Game Freak seems to be aware of that, as ORAS kept the roster pretty faithful to the originals that were 3 gens ago (adding evolutions that came later, however, such as Dusknoir if I remember correctly?)
Other Pokémon from later gens were found all the routes, yeah, but that was a post-game thing.

And personally-again, I want to play the DP remakes because I want to play DP on Switch, and Sinnohan variants would kind of break that.

I'm calling the only new forms we're getting for DP remakes will be related to G-Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom