• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, when I said that Sinnoh had more room for improvement, I didn't necessarily mean it has a bad thing. I don't really know how to explain it better.

I have attached a graph to better explain what I'm trying to say. In this graph; black boxes indicate what I feel are a games "max" potential. In this graph; HGSS extended that max potential, but the other remakes didn't. Blue indicates how much the base games filled up the max potential while the additional colors show how the remakes (in my mind) helped fill that potential.

As you can see, Sinnoh has more blue than the others, but there's a lot more room left in its box.

Also, just to be clear, this image is just a demonstration and is not fully in scale or anything.

Eh, I feel like the other three's black boxes are much closer to Sinnoh than in your picture. There is soooo much potential being untapped because of an unwillingness to add new areas or Pokemon because of nostalgia. And Sinnoh's black box isn't anywhere near that unfilled.

Leave the original 151 (because they're iconic)
I feel like people make too much of the idea that the entirety of Gen 1 is iconic. Goldeen, Tangela, Horsea, Oddish- we can all agree they're not starter/Mewtwo levels of iconic, but are they even on par with Caterpie and Meowth with the general public?

If you had to include all the Gen 1 Pokémon in each generation, you'd have to include their cross-gen evolutions as well, which would be about 200 slots.

They could easily retcon Sinnohan forms into the anime with a throwaway line like, "Huh. How did I never notice them before?" After all, it's not like every Gen 4 Pokémon made a proper appearance in the anime...

Also, I'm not sure how they would fix the lack of Fairy-types in the Unova Dex if they were to remake Black and White, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I've been saying this since it started looking increasingly likely that we'd finally be getting out long-awaited DP remakes in 2021, but...

The thing I fear most is the Dynamax retcon, that GameFreak will make Dynamax & new Gigantamax forms a major selling point of the remakes, redesign Mt. Coronet into a second Wild Area, and then be like "Nobody knew until now that Giratina & Eternatus were related!" and try to pull some kind of multiverse explanation out of their asses for why Dynamax exists in Sinnoh despite SwSh's story all but confirming that it's a Galar-only phenomenon similar to how Z-Moves were exclusive to Alola.

I don't like this insistence in the fandom that every otherworldly entity in Pokémon has to come from the same source. Remember when people wanted the Creation Trio to be retconned into Ultra Beasts?

I don't remember people wanting that exactly. I thought that was just back when people thought we might get a gen IV remake in generation 7 and people were speculating how they would tie Ultra Beasts into gen IV. Similar to how people are speculating that Dynamax will be used in Sinnoh now. It's because GameFreak put Mega Evolution into ORAS and gave the legendary trio "mega" but not really forms. So now people are assuming that remakes will most likely utilize the most recent new feature/lore from the main games.

Which, I just realized that that "pattern" has only existed for one game, so here's to hoping they don't give Dialga and Palkia G-max forms.

Thanks for making it clear. It doesn't seem likely that they'll directly connect legendaries, though; Mega Rayquaza's backstory has nothing to do with the Kalosian War.

On a completely unrelated note, I feel like making a chart about how Fairy would deal with each major battle in Sinnoh.

To be fair this time, we are not even sure Eternatus is even part of the same group as Zacian and Zamazenta. Third mascot legendaries typically have similar origins to the first two in some way: Rayquaza being formed via natural causes (Groudon and Kyogre), Giratina being created by Arceus (Dialga and Palkia), Kyurem being part of the original dragon (Reshiram and Zekrom), and Necrozma coming from Ultra Space (the Cosmog family). The only exception to this is Zygarde as Zygarde itself wasn't given much of a focus in the games at all.

Eternatus on the other hand, has a completely different origin than Zacian and Zamazenta, even if said origin is vague. While it would surprise me that they would make Eternatus be related to Giratina, I wouldn't be disappointed in any way.

On a completely unrelated note, I feel like making a chart about how Fairy would deal with each major battle in Sinnoh.

Hmm, well Fairy would definitely give people nice alternative against Garchomp from Ice and Dragon, and it would be useful against Maylene's first two Pokemon, but that's about it, there aren't a lot of Dark and Dragon types to use it against (a few Fighting types, but not many Dark and Dragon), meanwhile there's a ton of Steel types to contend with. So IDK that Fairy would be THAT useful.

Hmm, well Fairy would definitely give people nice alternative against Garchomp from Ice and Dragon, and it would be useful against Maylene's first two Pokemon, but that's about it, there aren't a lot of Dark and Dragon types to use it against (a few Fighting types, but not many Dark and Dragon), meanwhile there's a ton of Steel types to contend with. So IDK that Fairy would be THAT useful.
Off the top of my head there are a few others like Cynthia’s Spiritomb, Cyrus’ Weavile/Honchkrow, Barry/Aaron’s Heracross, and I think Candice may have had Medicham and Sneasel depending on if they go with her DP or PL team. Lucian also had either Medicham or Gallade. Of course I could be remembering some of these wrong. Either way, the opportunities to use them are still few and far between.

Unovan Pikachu, Unovan Meowth and Unovan Umbreon wouldn't work either because those species are stated to be rare or not seen in Unova, and regional variants still count as those species. I think the regional variants should stop at Galar or only exist in new regions. Preferably stop at Galar. We don't need every current generation gimmicks to be thrown into the remakes. The regional variants in the Sinnoh remakes should just be returning Alolan and Galarian forms in in-game trades or a place that imports Pokémon from other regions like a reworked Pal Park that is more of a Safari Zone.

Unovan Pikachu, Unovan Meowth and Unovan Umbreon wouldn't work either because those species are stated to be rare or not seen in Unova, and regional variants still count as those species. I think the regional variants should stop at Galar or only exist in new regions. Preferably stop at Galar. We don't need every current generation gimmicks to be thrown into the remakes. The regional variants in the Sinnoh remakes should just be returning Alolan and Galarian forms in in-game trades or a place that imports Pokémon from other regions like a reworked Pal Park that is more of a Safari Zone.
Unovan Pikachu might not work perhaps by why wouldn't Unovan gen VI, VII and VIII pokemon not work? Regional variants not just coming back but also being expanded upon in Galar means GF doesn't see it as a one time gimmick.

Unovan Pikachu, Unovan Meowth and Unovan Umbreon wouldn't work either because those species are stated to be rare or not seen in Unova, and regional variants still count as those species.
If they want to introduce a regional variant, they will. If nothing else works, they can always play the multiverse card.

I honestly just didn't like the idea of the Creation trio as well as Arceus just being revealed as Ultra Beasts, it would've taken away from their status as Pokemon gods. So I'm glad this is the one thing Pokemon didn't decide to change.

Also, I'm not sure how they would fix the lack of Fairy-types in the Unova Dex if they were to remake Black and White, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I think it would be interesting if a Unova remake followed the storyline of the original BW, but used the regional Pokedex from B2W2. That way you'd have Azumarill, Clefable and Wigglytuff in addition to Whimsicott and possibly Mega Audino (which still isn't a huge amount of Fairies, but I think it would do?).

I'm almost certain that Sinnoh remakes will use the regional Dex from Platinum, not Diamond and Pearl. But I'll be interested to see whether they keep the numbers the same, for nostalgia's sake, or if they adopt a new, more logical numbering system with Dialga, Palkia and the Lake Trio moved to the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom