• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
SSL certificates hinting to Sinnoh stuff. You can search for the subdomain and get the 403 error.
This doesn't seem to be specific to Gen 4, though, they have them for the other teams, too.
1612486256907.png

I had a feeling that SwSh might make a huge comeback. I get that the games are good but to me, it still needs a lot of work. While I do believe there will be remakes, I don't think it is a good time to reveal them right now.

Last edited:
However, only the Galactic subdomain has the 403 error, meaning there is content in there, but it's just not open for the public.
It's not the only one. There's also http://club.flare.pokemon.com/ , http://assets.skull.pokemon.com/ , http://assets.rocket.pokemon.com/ , and http://sso.flare.pokemon.com/ . And that's just the ones that have team names in their URL- I ran what I think is a similar search to theirs, and there's also
Also, the projects that use team names seem to have gotten certified around the same time:
1612515125088.png

It'd be a bit weird to do that if you only intended to use one of them to promote a game.

I'm surprised they didn't mention anything about diamondpearl.pokemon.com, though, that's also pretty recent, and it stands out because it's the only other mainline game to have its URL recertified. (If I'm right in understanding that this searches for recent SSL certificates given?)
1612515333358.png

It's not like they'd need to claim the URL to prevent a squatter or anything, it's already on their site.

I have a feeling that Game Freak went silent after the SwSh DLC. They are not ready for remakes yet, but who knows.

Last edited:
At least since the basic planning is set in stone outside minor adjustments for the region, story, characters and assets etc that will mean less crunch and hopeful less cut corners.

-Story (Basic one set in stone with a possible platinum episode)
-Region (Set in stone, especially if they go with a 1 to 1 tile based remake)
-Characters (Set in stone with just modern redesigns to do)
-No switching systems mid way like Swsh did with the 3ds
-Engine, models for the most part and assets already done with likely tweaking here and there.
-No new Pokémon to design outside new forms.

That’s one good thing about remakes is that they arnt done from the ground up saving a good deal of development time. Hopefully said time is used well.

Unlike Swsh which had to be made from the ground up and even had to switch consoles half way through DP remakes should be more straightforward considering the basic skeleton is already done.

Outside minor adjustments for the region, story, characters and assets or adding Dynamax if they want etc that will mean less crunch and hopeful less cut corners.

Of course. Let's Go was in development (after) Sword and Shield, and came out a year earlier. It was also a better game (but that is irrelevant). The only issue Gamefreak would have would be if implementing Sword and Shield features into the game is worth it or not. Diamond and Pearl would drastically change if Dynamax were in it and the Wild Area as well. If they went with the Let's Go route, then it likely is easy to transition over. Especially with the assets left over from that game.

DexNav functionality returning with the PokeRadar should be a must. The DexNav is far too popular and useful for them not to bring it back, and DexNav functionality fits the PokeRadar far too well.

One of the biggest criticisms Gamefreak deserve are them removing popular features that enhance the game. DexNav should have been in every game after ORAS, yet it wasn't for some reason.

“B-b-but, we want every region to feel unique!”

That wasn’t really the reason for taking the DexNav out. From the very beginning, the reason why the DexNav was even conceived of in the first place was to make up for Hoenn having a tiny regional Pokédex in comparison to Kalos. The logic being that if you’re going to be encountering the same species more frequently, it should at least be interesting.

I’ve got to say, I... don’t really miss the DexNav? Like, I definitely don’t miss the sneaking requirement, and aside from that, it’s really not hard to get high-IV Pokémon or egg moves in SwSh with Max Raids and Brilliant Aura Pokémon. Even SM didn’t really “remove” the DexNav so much as it reformatted the concept into SOS Battles (which I didn’t like so much, but clearly they’re aware of the main reason people used DexNav, and tried to retain it).

I don't really see DexNav as a QoL feature. Do we really need it now that pokemon spawn in the overworld? The only thing I used DexNav for really, was to force encounters with specific pokemon.

Edit: After giving it a little thought, I guess the other purpose, was that it functioned as a sort of habitat list for each route. I'm a little torn on whether I like having that feature.

Last edited:
That wasn’t really the reason for taking the DexNav out. From the very beginning, the reason why the DexNav was even conceived of in the first place was to make up for Hoenn having a tiny regional Pokédex in comparison to Kalos. The logic being that if you’re going to be encountering the same species more frequently, it should at least be interesting.

I’ve got to say, I... don’t really miss the DexNav? Like, I definitely don’t miss the sneaking requirement, and aside from that, it’s really not hard to get high-IV Pokémon or egg moves in SwSh with Max Raids and Brilliant Aura Pokémon. Even SM didn’t really “remove” the DexNav so much as it reformatted the concept into SOS Battles (which I didn’t like so much, but clearly they’re aware of the main reason people used DexNav, and tried to retain it).

I don't really see DexNav as a QoL feature. Do we really need it now that pokemon spawn in the overworld? The only thing I used DexNav for really, was to force encounters with specific pokemon.

Edit: After giving it a little thought, I guess the other purpose, was that it functioned as a sort of habitat list for each route. I'm a little torn on whether I like having that feature.

And having it as a way to make repeated species more interesting doesn't really make much sense either, because that doesn't really help make the repetition more interesting. In fact, it actually makes it more repetitive because you have to encounter the Pokemon over and over again to reap the rewards. I think they misjudged the appeal of the DexNav. It doesn't really help make the repeats more interesting, there's really not much they can do to help that except bite the bullet and include some damn Pokemon that weren't in the original regional dex. What makes the DexNav so useful is you can see things like abilities and IVs ahead of time instead of needing to battle the Pokemon, catch it, check its Summary, and then reset when it's not what you want. It saves a lot of time in having to battle/catch Pokemon that may or may not have the desired attributes you want and box space/time spent releasing/trading away the rejects. Future mechanics like SOS Battles and Brilliant Aura do make it easy to get things like HAs, IVs, egg moves, and shinies, but you still have to battle/catch them to check if they have them, so it's a step backwards as a QoL feature. It's just far more useful for quickly finding Pokemon with rarer attributes, so that mechanic, or something similar with the same benefits, really should be a permanent feature in the series. I don't care if they have to bring it back with a different name or whatever they feel they have to do to make it more "unique" and fit the region. Just make it so there's always some kind of mechanic for scanning wild Pokemon and seeing their moves, abilities, IVs, etc. before battling them.

Honestly, they should just stop with repetition in general when it comes to obtaining certain Pokemon. S.O.S. battles were annoying as heck since not only were some Pokemon exclusive to it, thus making them a chore to even attempt to catch, you have to deal against Pokemon constantly spawning in battle. Why can't they just give us the option to pick which Pokemon to try to catch in a wild double battle? This idea that we have to waste turns using items just to not ko the Pokemon we want to catch just makes it a lot more bothersome than it needs to be.

The Game Cube Pokemon games allowed you to catch a Pokemon even when two were present at the same time.

Similarly, I'm sick of having to sift through thousands of common Max Raid battles just to try to connect to one that has the Pokemon I want to catch, only to find out said raid has already started. Why can't they just update in real-time to remove that hassle?

even had to switch consoles half way
There isn’t much, if any, evidence that SwSh was originally planned as a 3DS game. It certainly hasn’t been confirmed.

That aside, I’m not certain if having the groundwork laid out will result in considerably less development time depending on how revamped the remakes would be. If we see a remake where the region is a 1-to-1 replica of the original Sinnoh, just in 3D, I could see this being the case. However, if GameFreak reimagines the whole thing so that it’s more akin to Galar’s style, then I could see the saved development time being canceled out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom