• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, they should just stop with repetition in general when it comes to obtaining certain Pokemon. S.O.S. battles were annoying as heck since not only were some Pokemon exclusive to it, thus making them a chore to even attempt to catch, you have to deal against Pokemon constantly spawning in battle. Why can't they just give us the option to pick which Pokemon to try to catch in a wild double battle? This idea that we have to waste turns using items just to not ko the Pokemon we want to catch just makes it a lot more bothersome than it needs to be.

S.O.S. battles were definitely a poor substitute for the DexNav, and honestly I almost feel insulted at the notion of that serving as a replacement because S.O.S. battles feel like the exact opposite of the DevNav in a sense. Instead of quickly zeroing in on the Pokemon you want you have to sift through battle after battle after battle to find it. And even when you don't want to, you often have to put up with them. Definitely not the way they should be handling it and I never want to see them again (not even in SM remakes if they can find a way to fully replace them, considering they're also ingrained into the Totem Battles). DexNav is the way to go for sure. For DP remakes, SM, and pretty much any game.

Last edited:
There isn’t much, if any, evidence that SwSh was originally planned as a 3DS game. It certainly hasn’t been confirmed.

Of all the disaster theories about SwSh development, this one is the absolute weirdest to me.

Like... the 3DS as a whole was just about at the end of its life. There is no way that Game Freak were thinking of launching a third generation on it.

Of all the disaster theories about SwSh development, this one is the absolute weirdest to me.

Like... the 3DS as a whole was just about at the end of its life. There is no way that Game Freak were thinking of launching a third generation on it.

I mean they did the same thing for Black 2/White 2 when the DS was on it's last legs.

DexNav is the way to go for sure. For DP remakes, SM, and pretty much any game.
DexNav could probably be merged with the Pokétch, if it returns, and SwSh's chaining mechanic. I could see a Pokétch app that would have
  • A list of the last Pokémon you fought along with the amount defeated.
  • An option to scan for Brilliant Pokémon, which could possibly cause one to appear, that reveals some information about them such as moves, ability, and amount of Watts you'll receive upon defeating/catching them, similarly to DexNav.
That being said, I think we'll just see SwSh's chaining mechanic ported over with maybe some minor improvements/alterations.
I mean they did the same thing for Black 2/White 2 when the DS was on it's last legs.
The DS and DSi are far more similar than the 3DS and Switch, and B2W2 more closely resembles the DS games than SwSh resembles the 3DS games.

DexNav could probably be merged with the Pokétch, if it returns, and SwSh's chaining mechanic. I could see a Pokétch app that would have
  • A list of the last Pokémon you fought along with the amount defeated.
  • An option to scan for Brilliant Pokémon, which could possibly cause one to appear, that reveals some information about them such as moves, ability, and amount of Watts you'll receive upon defeating/catching them, similarly to DexNav.
That being said, I think we'll just see SwSh's chaining mechanic ported over with maybe some minor improvements/alterations.

Yeah, I was also thinking the Pokeradar could be a Poketch app, and probably one obtained earlier in the game, especially if they don't want to add Pokemon to Sinnoh's main game since it runs into the same problem of repeated species as Hoenn. IDK that they'll just port over SwSh's chaining mechanic though, I think they might do something more unique than that. They always seem to like having unique encounter methods in each game.

I have a feeling that Game Freak went silent after the SwSh DLC. They are not ready for remakes yet, but who knows.
What do you mean by "went silent"? From a consumer perspective, yeah, we haven't heard anything, but that's not something that you "have a feeling about". Are you saying that you think Game Freak doesn't have anything planned internally?
BW2 were sequels, not a third generation.

It's perfectly normal for Game Freak to be silent at this time of year. Once the last year's game has sold, they have nothing else to promote until they're ready to reveal the next game. We'll most likely see a game reveal sometime between now and June and then they'll start talking again, we could have DP remakes revealed by this time next month.

Last edited:
It's perfectly normal for Game Freak to be silent at this time of year. Once the last year's game has sold, they have nothing else to promote until they're ready to reveal the next game. We'll most likely see a game reveal sometime between now and June and then they'll start talking again, we could have DP remakes revealed by this time next month.
If something is coming I'd expect an announcement on or near Pokémon day (27th of this month).

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the return of location-based evos. They were a cool idea conceputally, but ultimately pointess and I'm glad they were ditched come Gen VIII. Tl;dr, the Ice Stone should've been created in Gen IV and I will die on this hill.
Well, when the Beauty stat came back in ORAS, they still kept the Prism Scale in the games, so I expect the same thing to happen to location-based evolutions.

I have a feeling that Game Freak went silent after the SwSh DLC. They are not ready for remakes yet, but who knows.

They haven’t exactly gone “silent”. They regularly roll out Max Raid events, they (remotely) host tournaments for both TCG and VGC, there was the big space event, and they’ve announced that there are multiple plans for the 25th anniversary. Just because they haven’t revealed anything about a new game (outside of Snap) doesn’t mean that they’re keeping quiet because of shame or lack of projects.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the return of location-based evos. They were a cool idea conceputally, but ultimately pointess and I'm glad they were ditched come Gen VIII. Tl;dr, the Ice Stone should've been created in Gen IV and I will die on this hill.

One of my biggest peeves since the Gen 1 games is the fact that Leafeon wasn’t an option in Kanto. You have four evolution stones that tie into the four “primary” elements. Why not give Eevee a Grass evolution?

I think most of the location-based evolutions stem from GF trying to give us Leafeon, but not willing to give up on the current lore at that point. They could have introduced an Ice Stone along with the Dawn/Dusk/Shiny ones and no one would have blinked. Magnezone and Probopass could have easily been “trade with item” or “evolve with new move”.

Hopefully they’ll just retcon it in the remakes, and give us the option of either using a stone or finding the area, like they have in more recent games.

If there is a Hall of Origin story, I would definitely play the remakes because the Azure Flute is not available because Masuda thought it was "too confusing". If Game Freak decides to have the Azure Flute in the remakes, it can be a item that can be used in that story.

Speaking of stories, what I want apart from the Distortion World story is either a Manaphy story, a Shaymin story or a Darkrai story.

I'd be fine with Glaceon and Leafeon evolving via Ice Stone and Leaf Stone items (especially because it takes forever to have Glaceon available otherwise), but Probopass and Magnezone should keep their Mt. Coronet evolution method, I think it just works really well lore-wise. Plus, Mt. Coronet is accessible relatively early on (or at least parts of it), so it wouldn't "lock away" these evolutions for too long.

I've been playing around with the search settings on the official Japanese Pokedex (I don't speak Japanese, but it didn't take too long to work out what all the buttons do) and I discovered something interesting. If you search for Alola-native Pokemon, the Alolan forms come up, and if you search for Galar-native Pokemon, the Galarian forms and Gigantamax forms come up. However, if you search for Kalos-native Pokemon, the Mega Evolutions don't come up. Those are classed as belonging to the same regions as their base forms.

In other words, the Gigantamax forms are considered by the Pokemon Company to be more region-specific than the Mega Evolutions are.

This could mean nothing, of course. Maybe there will be new Gigantamax forms in Diamond and Pearl remakes, and these will be categorised as Sinnoh-native Pokemon. Or all the Gigantamax forms will be recategorised as belonging to their base forms' regions, once it's been established that Dynamaxing is possible outside Galar. But I still thought it was noteworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom