• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if we still get the traditional remakes for the traditional games (Read: The original set), but we get Lets Go style games for the third versions and the sequels. Would separate both Lets Go and the OG remakes from eachother.

I honestly think it's time to stop with the remakes. I can understand the need to remake the gameboy games based on how barebones the original graphics and game mechanics were. With RSE to ORAS, there isn't much of a change mechanics-wise aside from the incorporation of the fairy type and megas but the shift from 2D to 3D is visually pleasing in itself, making it worthwhile.

With LGPE, my gripe with it is that I don't think the upgrade in graphics is great enough to warrant the removal of all the new mechanics, some of which had already been introduced in earlier revisits of Kanto. Furthermore, the graphics are simply not good enough for a console game that is played on a TV. If they're going to remake DP, I'm really not sure how significantly different it would be from the originals. Sure I'd like to revisit Sinnoh but I have this feeling that I could play the original (or a romhack) and still have as much fun unless they completely shake things up. The question then is that if they do revolutionise Sinnoh, will it still be a remake?

Honestly, my preference is if they kick-start a new MMORPG series, and sure they can start with Sinnoh, but also include new areas where they can easily introduce new regional variants or whatever gimmicks there is to bring it up to speed with the modern standards without having to "retcon" the originals. I think all the grid-based games set in Japan could be nicely tied together in this manner and they have the freedom of deciding if they want to stick with the grid or not. Obviously it'll be easier to tie in the games with the newer games through later expansions if they abandon the grid but that's up to them as the Japanese games together would already work well enough on their own.

What if we still get the traditional remakes for the traditional games (Read: The original set), but we get Lets Go style games for the third versions and the sequels. Would separate both Lets Go and the OG remakes from eachother.

That's my guess as to what'll happen, that or they'll reimagine enhanced versions/potentially remakes in different ways than LG style (since LGPE fits under the reimagining category than remake)

For Kanto they could get away with it since the last remake for it was on the GameBoy Advance. But if you remake Diamond and Pearl regularly and Platinum in a Let's Go variant, I doubt people will play the latter purely because all that is stripped down from the DP remakes

I don't think they're speculating that they should do both titles in the near future, obviously that wouldn't be a smart move sales-wise. DP remakes and a Platinum reimagining would probably have a longer timegap than FRLG and LGPE's timegap, which is 14 years.

I honestly think it's time to stop with the remakes. I can understand the need to remake the gameboy games based on how barebones the original graphics and game mechanics were. With RSE to ORAS, there isn't much of a change mechanics-wise aside from the incorporation of the fairy type and megas but the shift from 2D to 3D is visually pleasing in itself, making it worthwhile.

With LGPE, my gripe with it is that I don't think the upgrade in graphics is great enough to warrant the removal of all the new mechanics, some of which had already been introduced in earlier revisits of Kanto. Furthermore, the graphics are simply not good enough for a console game that is played on a TV. If they're going to remake DP, I'm really not sure how significantly different it would be from the originals. Sure I'd like to revisit Sinnoh but I have this feeling that I could play the original (or a romhack) and still have as much fun unless they completely shake things up. The question then is that if they do revolutionise Sinnoh, will it still be a remake?
Whether or not the Sinnoh or Unova (or even Kalos) games are considered to still be playable and recent enough or whether a remake would be deemed worthwhile (according to whom?) doesn't really matter. What matters is that the DS has been dead for a decade and it's virtually impossible to get a new copy of any gen. 4 and 5 games (and soon enough it'll be the same with the 3DS games), and there's at least one entire generation of potential customers that have never played any of those games. Yes, they could buy used copies. Yes, they could play them on an emulator. But that's not how Nintendo and Game Freak/TPC make money.

Remakes are a way of making a lot of money while requiring relatively little planning and development in comparison with completely new games. Whether there are enough updates and additions to justify the price is for the consumers to decide, but looking at the sales figures, there is absolutely no reason for Game Freak to stop making them. Plus, as others have pointed out, the gaps between the original games and the remakes are getting bigger and bigger anyway, so it's not like there's an oversaturation of, let's say, Sinnoh games on the market.

The problem with stopping remakes is the fact that an entire generation of players might not be able to experience the regions of those games in the first place. That's why I want more than almost anything in the world to have the DS Pokemon main series games to be remade. Plus, it's way more fitting to play a Nintendo game on a Nintendo system. Also, many emulated versions of games are starting to have anti-piracy measures, which blocks the player from playing the game in a normal way, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Pokemon started doing the same.

What matters is that the DS has been dead for a decade and it's virtually impossible to get a new copy of any gen. 4 and 5 games (and soon enough it'll be the same with the 3DS games), and there's at least one entire generation of potential customers that have never played any of those games. Yes, they could buy used copies. Yes, they could play them on an emulator. But that's not how Nintendo and Game Freak/TPC make money.

The DS games can still be played on the 3DS and they could easily do a port for the Switch. I know we all love to talk about how lazy and greedy Gamefreak are but I'm just saying that there isn't really an urgent need for remakes and that they are not for me anymore. :enzap:

they could easily do a port for the Switch.
It's not that simple, most DS games use the double screen formula as an integral part of the gameplay. The main series Pokemon games are no exception. For them to port the DS Pokemon games would require a huge change in the game's coding. This is why only a select few DS games only ever made it to the European Wii U Virtual Console and only one DS game was ported to the Switch so far. It requires so much more work than making a remake since building something from blueprints is actually easier than having to look at and change already existing coding. We have to keep in mind that this Game Freak isn't the same Game Freak of 2006, not just because of behavior but also the people working for the company, and that include the coders for the games.

Games that only used one screen are so much easier to port seeing how not much needs to be changed.

tbh, Masuda is also known to be trolling (Remember that Capybara tweet and those Go tweets with time and dates which lead to nothing)
These really weren’t him trolling, it was just people trying to extrapolate hints that were never there to begin with.

Anyway, I think we should be finding out about potential Gen 4 remakes very soon. Like next week sometime. They have stated that there will be announcements every day.

They're speculation that pokemon direct being on 25th, since Pokemon Sun and Moon direct came out on February 26th one day before 20th anniversary Pokemon Day. It could be that scenario, or it could be on February 27th, which 25th anniversary, I doubt that they would announce all in one day, normally they would have pokemon direct a day or few before, But I could be wrong so we'll see next week.

It's not that simple, most DS games use the double screen formula as an integral part of the gameplay. The main series Pokemon games are no exception. For them to port the DS Pokemon games would require a huge change in the game's coding. This is why only a select few DS games only ever made it to the European Wii U Virtual Console and only one DS game was ported to the Switch so far. It requires so much more work than making a remake since building something from blueprints is actually easier than having to look at and change already existing coding. We have to keep in mind that this Game Freak isn't the same Game Freak of 2006, not just because of behavior but also the people working for the company, and that include the coders for the games.

Games that only used one screen are so much easier to port seeing how not much needs to be changed.

Ok I can accept that it is not that easy to port the (3)DS games over to the switch but still, I don't think there's a need for remakes. I am hoping for them to really switch up the formula and the only way I can see that happening is a MMORPG. Sequels would have been a no brainer but it seems unlikely given the way they resisted against that idea for Kanto even though it was so obvious.

Ok I can accept that it is not that easy to port the (3)DS games over to the switch but still, I don't think there's a need for remakes. I am hoping for them to really switch up the formula and the only way I can see that happening is a MMORPG. Sequels would have been a no brainer but it seems unlikely given the way they resisted against that idea for Kanto even though it was so obvious

Nintendo has notoriously bad WiFi code, and MMORPGs are notorious for not having the squeaky clean PR that Pokémon likes.

An MMORPG is extremely unlikely, all the more when you consider the issues with balancing an MMORPG - it's very easy for you to hit a power creep and massive economy inflation. The easiest way to avoid that is making what basically amounts to "normal game + a bunch of other people lagging the game because multiplayer I guess" there isn't really much of a point in doing that, is there?

As a note, remakes are more or less a sure thing by this point: they're easy(ier) to make, already have a massive pre-established market and the original games aren't available in their latest console anymore. As far as GF is concerned, doing DPP remakes is a very low risk high reward venture.

Nintendo has notoriously bad WiFi code, and MMORPGs are notorious for not having the squeaky clean PR that Pokémon likes.

An MMORPG is extremely unlikely, all the more when you consider the issues with balancing an MMORPG - it's very easy for you to hit a power creep and massive economy inflation. The easiest way to avoid that is making what basically amounts to "normal game + a bunch of other people lagging the game because multiplayer I guess" there isn't really much of a point in doing that, is there?

As a note, remakes are more or less a sure thing by this point: they're easy(ier) to make, already have a massive pre-established market and the original games aren't available in their latest console anymore. As far as GF is concerned, doing DPP remakes is a very low risk high reward venture.

IA with your points but still, I think it could be interesting, or at least more so than a traditional remake. All of GF's offering on the Switch has been middling so far albeit extremely well received so IA that there really isn't any indication that they will stray from their formula. I'm just saying that as a consumer, traditional remakes are not for me.

The online functionality in the Wild Area is MMO enough for me, the only thing missing is full co-op gameplay like the kind we have in LGPE. The pieces are there, they just need to put them together.

More on the topic of 4th gen remakes though, I could see the Underground serving the MMO-like online role in DP remakes. Again, the framework is already there, just do what they did in DP, but open it up to online.

Last edited:
I really hope that if they do make the Underground more MMO-like that they improve functionality. For one thing, the original Underground had a somewhat limited catalog of activities to do. For another, our current “MMO” setting, the Wild Area(s), have pretty blatant lag issues and the only thing you get for interacting with other players in the overworld is some curry ingredients.

The online functionality in the Wild Area is MMO enough for me,

I’m of exactly the same opinion. I’ve never got on with MMOs, even ones that I’ve had real world friends playing. I’ve always found that they’re either massively tedious, over reliant on other players (who you can’t always rely on) or just generally poor games masked with marketing hype. I have enjoyed Max Raids and Dynamax Adventures quite a lot though, despite the odd AH making problems as it’s a nice level of cooperative play with other players.

I just want them to polish that up a bit so things like priority to listed friends and potentially voice chat when in private games might make it better but not beyond the realm of what we could see.

I really don’t want a full MMO Pokémon game or a full open world Pokémon game personally. I think if they were even considering an MMO it would be better to farm it out to another company - which I believe by Game Freak logic would make it a spin off game anyway :p

Sequels would have been a no brainer but it seems unlikely given the way they resisted against that idea for Kanto even though it was so obvious.

Was it obvious? I thought Johto was the 'sequel' to Kanto. I'm not sure if doing a sequel would have been the right thing in Kanto's case. There's no loose ends that I can think of. And if they're going to write a totally brand new story, I'd rather take place in a new region.

I don't think they'll do a "traditional" sequel since they've done it with B2W2 already, but I agree it would be nice to at least get some sort of extension to Sinnoh's story and I don't think its out of the realm of possibilities either. Kanto was their "original" region and LGPE was kind of marketed as a game to bring old fans who had left the series back in and if they had changed the game too much, they wouldn't have been able to appeal to nostalgia as well. I don't think Diamond/Pearl remakes would necessairly have to be as faithful as LGPE were.

Idk if I'm making any sense.

Was it obvious? I thought Johto was the 'sequel' to Kanto. I'm not sure if doing a sequel would have been the right thing in Kanto's case. There's no loose ends that I can think of. And if they're going to write a totally brand new story, I'd rather take place in a new region.

I don't think they'll do a "traditional" sequel since they've done it with B2W2 already, but I agree it would be nice to at least get some sort of extension to Sinnoh's story and I don't think its out of the realm of possibilities either. Kanto was their "original" region and LGPE was kind of marketed as a game to bring old fans who had left the series back in and if they had changed the game too much, they wouldn't have been able to appeal to nostalgia as well. I don't think Diamond/Pearl remakes would necessairly have to be as faithful as LGPE were.

I see what you’re saying, and I agree. I think, ideally, the DP remakes would—rather than being sequels—simply build on the original story in addition to re-telling it; similar to what ORAS did with the Delta Episode. Except I hope that they expand even more this time around since the Delta Episode was rather short and made for a rather lackluster post-game on its own.

It's not just about the story, and when it comes to BW2, I don't think you'll see a lot of people praise that game for its story, BW2's story in a vacuum is actually kinda weak. What really made BW2 so worthwhile was that it completely reimagined Unova with a ton of new areas, a ton of new Pokemon, a lot of new features, etc. Instead of feeling like a tired retread of a region we've been through before, it feel like a new and refreshing take on the region that was vastly improved over the original, almost like a Gen 5.5 in a sense. Conversely, the likes of LGPE was profoundly disappointing for feeling like a copy/paste job with Go capture mechanics, and Kanto could definitely use a similar treatment because so many aspects of its design and gameplay are heavily outdated.

As far as Sinnoh goes though, I don't think Sinnoh really needs that kind of massive facelift (well, making it more open like the Wild Area sections would be great, but unrealistic, otherwise it's relatively up to date design wise). Going through a massively improved Sinnoh would definitely be nice, but not necessary. They need to update a few QoL features and modern mechanics, but otherwise a copy/paste job with HD graphics would be fine in Sinnoh's case. There are several regions that could benefit from the sequel approach, Kanto, Johto, and Kalos especially (hell, I'd even take a Hoenn sequel, but more because you could progress through the region differently and less because it actually needs updates), but Sinnoh is not one of them.

I was thinking of Kanto as a sequel in relation to Alola, given that Lillie visits Kanto after the SM games. Not necessarily a sequel following Lillie but a Kanto with a time skip.

I was thinking of Kanto as a sequel in relation to Alola, given that Lillie visits Kanto after the SM games. Not necessarily a sequel following Lillie but a Kanto with a time skip.

Ah yeah; I had completely forgot about that. Unfortunately, I feel like that possibility went out the window because of USUM creating an alternate ending where Lusamine didn't need to go to Kanto. But really, I would imagine there wouldn't be much to do with that other than show us that Lusamine had gotten better and maybe have Lillie be there.

It's not just about the story, and when it comes to BW2, I don't think you'll see a lot of people praise that game for its story, BW2's story in a vacuum is actually kinda weak. What really made BW2 so worthwhile was that it completely reimagined Unova with a ton of new areas, a ton of new Pokemon, a lot of new features, etc. Instead of feeling like a tired retread of a region we've been through before, it feel like a new and refreshing take on the region that was vastly improved over the original, almost like a Gen 5.5 in a sense. Conversely, the likes of LGPE was profoundly disappointing for feeling like a copy/paste job with Go capture mechanics, and Kanto could definitely use a similar treatment because so many aspects of its design and gameplay are heavily outdated.

As far as Sinnoh goes though, I don't think Sinnoh really needs that kind of massive facelift (well, making it more open like the Wild Area sections would be great, but unrealistic, otherwise it's relatively up to date design wise). Going through a massively improved Sinnoh would definitely be nice, but not necessary. They need to update a few QoL features and modern mechanics, but otherwise a copy/paste job with HD graphics would be fine in Sinnoh's case. There are several regions that could benefit from the sequel approach, Kanto, Johto, and Kalos especially (hell, I'd even take a Hoenn sequel, but more because you could progress through the region differently and less because it actually needs updates), but Sinnoh is not one of them.

I think that it could never hurt to add new areas if they are implemented well. As I've mentioned before, a lot of places in Sinnoh were cool when the game first came out, but have since lost their appeal/functionality, such as Pal Park and Amity Square.

But honestly, I would be one of those people who praise b2w2 for its story. I feel like it added some much needed depth to team plasma; depth that no other evil team has received before or since. And we got to see just how much of a crazed lunatic Ghetsis was; which worked as a sequel because he started off as a somewhat calm and calculated villain who tried to seize power through manipulation to trying to take over by sheer brute force because his failure in the previous game pushed him over the edge. The whole story worked really well as a sequel because it built off the original game's story very well and that's what a sequel should do. Sure; all the extra areas were very nice (I'm not being sarcastic), but I feel like they could have added them into a "third version" just as easily.

IMO B2W2 were great, because the story improved and added to the games in a way that a third version couldn't have and only a sequel could have.

However, I would say that for Sinnoh, I'm rooting for more of an USUM approach to the story. I can think of a few ways a sequel could work, but I don't think it would be the right way to expand on the existing story and characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom