• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to see new areas added to the Sinnoh region, heck they could potentially expand the Spear Pillar or at least make it so it feels like we are on top of the mountain. Some inscriptions on the walls will help add to the atmosphere of the Spear Pillar.

The reason why I say this is because ORAS has added details to the Sky Pillar while also changing it.

I want to see new areas added to the Sinnoh region, heck they could potentially expand the Spear Pillar or at least make it so it feels like we are on top of the mountain. Some inscriptions on the walls will help add to the atmosphere of the Spear Pillar.

The reason why I say this is because ORAS has added details to the Sky Pillar while also changing it.

You just reminded me of the giant cave drawings of Kyogre/Groudon that they added to Granite Cave. It would be so cool to see stuff like that as we approach the top of Spear Pillar; like the ones you see in the PMD explorers game when you're in the Hidden Land. It would really add to the atmosphere.

But honestly, I would be one of those people who praise b2w2 for its story. I feel like it added some much needed depth to team plasma; depth that no other evil team has received before or since. And we got to see just how much of a crazed lunatic Ghetsis was; which worked as a sequel because he started off as a somewhat calm and calculated villain who tried to seize power through manipulation to trying to take over by sheer brute force because his failure in the previous game pushed him over the edge. The whole story worked really well as a sequel because it built off the original game's story very well and that's what a sequel should do. Sure; all the extra areas were very nice (I'm not being sarcastic), but I feel like they could have added them into a "third version" just as easily.

Nah, they couldn't have added the new areas to BW2 through a third version, they had new gyms there and completely changed the adventure.

However, I would say that for Sinnoh, I'm rooting for more of an USUM approach to the story. I can think of a few ways a sequel could work, but I don't think it would be the right way to expand on the existing story and characters.

Eh, not entirely like USUM because they retconned a lot of things that made the story worse. I'd say ORAS is a better comparison for the story. Take the existing story, flesh it out more, add some post game story, and you're good.

You just reminded me of the giant cave drawings of Kyogre/Groudon that they added to Granite Cave. It would be so cool to see stuff like that as we approach the top of Spear Pillar; like the ones you see in the PMD explorers game when you're in the Hidden Land. It would really add to the atmosphere.

I mean there is the cave painting on that one floor that Team Galactic ends up destroying, so the pretext for this kind of thing is already sort of there

Just in general though I'd like to get a better sense of the culture around Mt. Coronet in ancient times. People often praise Sinnoh for its "lore" which I'll grant is pretty good... in terms of the smaller, folksier myths, but I've always thought the core mythologies about the central Legendaries were always rather vague. People communed with Dialga and Palkia long ago but... why? And why did that tradition die out? Why is information about Arceus so obscure? What is the Regi family's connection to Sinnoh? Regigigas's lore about towing continents, even if true, relates it more to the world at large rather than this specific region. Heatran is also infamously "just there." And don't get me started on Phione and Manaphy...

Nah, they couldn't have added the new areas to BW2 through a third version, they had new gyms there and completely changed the adventure.
The new areas could have been added to the post-game, with or without gyms. Three BW gym cities were part of B2W2's post-game, and the mirror image is probably what they'd do for BW remakes.

I vaguely remember a mural of the creation trio in Platinum. I don't know if it was there in Diamond and Pearl. Fairly sure Team Galatic destroy the mural sometime before the encounter with Giratina.

But honestly, I would be one of those people who praise b2w2 for its story. I feel like it added some much needed depth to team plasma; depth that no other evil team has received before or since. And we got to see just how much of a crazed lunatic Ghetsis was; which worked as a sequel because he started off as a somewhat calm and calculated villain who tried to seize power through manipulation to trying to take over by sheer brute force because his failure in the previous game pushed him over the edge. The whole story worked really well as a sequel because it built off the original game's story very well and that's what a sequel should do. Sure; all the extra areas were very nice (I'm not being sarcastic), but I feel like they could have added them into a "third version" just as easily.

Ehh, maybe it's a personal thing but when thinking back of BW2 what comes to mind is Hugh whining about a Purrloin like it was a shiny event Arceus and going rabid at the sight of Team Plasma members (both old and new) while pretty much everybody else saying "ehh, I don't really care" until New Plasma brings out the WMD.

And when they do show up it's basically "Ghetsis is gone power hungry and is threatening to essentially nuke the region if we don't play ball".

Compared to BW, it feels like it has a lot less depth actually. In BW the story introduces the themes of "Is the capturing / battling of Pokémon ethical?" and "Idealistic movements can be usurped and coopted by power hungry people" which are important things to introduce to children (the main demographic). We should be encouraging them to think critically about things they take for granted and realize that good intentions might be taken advantage.

The end isn't particularly well done of course, since GF essentially said "It is ethical, because I said so." but ehh, I'll take what I can get.

IMO B2W2 were great, because the story improved and added to the games in a way that a third version couldn't have and only a sequel could have.

However, I would say that for Sinnoh, I'm rooting for more of an USUM approach to the story. I can think of a few ways a sequel could work, but I don't think it would be the right way to expand on the existing story and characters.

That said, I do agree that there is a lot more potential in a sequel / "AU" than a third version per se. And I do think some divergence would be nice, at least for Barry, since Barry and Hop have essentially the same arc.

Not to mention the time / space distortions related to Dialga and Palkia could cause for some interesting "RR"-like effects.

Yes, we definitely need some new areas. Especially if we're going to need to catch Heatran at Stark Mountain before the Elite Four, taking away half of the post-game areas from the original games.

There’s not really any reason to think that’s going to be the case.
But it's how I want to obtain the National Dex. I'm still hoping for a National Dex earned after seeing every Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex, including the Sinnoh Legendaries and Mythicals that Platinum left out of the regional Dex. I don't want Heatran to change location because Stark Mountain is the best place in Sinnoh for a Fire legendary, and I think there should be some kind of bonus for catching all the Sinnoh Pokémon before getting the National Dex and only the version exclusives should require trading and not the legendaries if those people want bragging rights. So the only option I have is to go to the Battle Zone early with the path from the ferry in the Fight Area to Heatran's chamber in Stark Mountain opened after the seventh Gym.

A long time ago, back when I was active on r/pokemon, I updated Sinnoh's Pokédex, adding in gen 5-7 Pokémon (this was pre-gen 8) to all the areas, plus a few extras such as additions of Cutiefly to honey trees. Unfortunately, it has been lost to the bowls of the Internet, and I have little desire to go through all that work again. However, I bring this up because I'd love to see GameFreak actually expand out the Sinnoh Pokédex to, say, 400-500 Pokémon. Even Platinum's expanded Pokédex is small in my eyes, only having 210 Pokémon. For example, updating the Old Chateau to not only have Ghastly plus the lone Rotom, but also Litwick, Gothita/Solosis, Espurr, Milcery, and Sinistea would be nice. Not only would it help give players more options, it would also be neat to see gen 5+ Pokémon in the region. I see no reason for the game to kneecap itself for the sake of staying faithful to the originals.

Unfortunately I think this is unlikely, but one can dream.

I would cap it at 251. It's a nice reference to Johto that was revisited in the Gen IV games HeartGold and SoulSilver, and redistributing the trainers so that you would already have seen over 400 Pokémon before the Elite Four would be quite a challenge for the developers.

I would cap it at 251. It's a nice reference to Johto that was revisited in the Gen IV games HeartGold and SoulSilver
Still too small in my opinion. Honestly, anything under 350 Pokémon I'd say isn't big enough.
and redistributing the trainers so that you would already have seen over 400 Pokémon before the Elite Four would be quite a challenge for the developers.
Eh, they don't have to make it so that you need to see over 400 Pokémon prior to the Elite Four--it wasn't a requirement the first time around besides.

Still too small in my opinion. Honestly, anything under 350 Pokémon I'd say isn't big enough.

Eh, they don't have to make it so that you need to see over 400 Pokémon prior to the Elite Four--it wasn't a requirement the first time around besides.
I honestly find a regional dex over 300 Pokémon too big. Also the original games required you to see all the Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex before unlocking the National Dex and the post-game and you'd already see all the Pokémon if you fought all the trainers by the time you beat Cynthia, with only a picture of Palkia/Dialga/Manaphy (depends on version) to find after the League. And I want to skip that final Pokémon picture quest and make it so that either you got a full Pokédex when you restart or there are trainers you've missed. Oh, and SpinyShell, did you change your profile from Flygon and Turtonator to Orbeetle?

Well, it's possible to have Gen 5+ Pokemon being available to catch in the Gen 4 remakes. If ORAS made it so that Pokemon after Gen 3 can be caught in Hoenn, even when you exclude the legendaries and starters, then you know that there will be at least a few Gen 5 and later Pokemon available to be caught.

I think one of the biggest problems with Gamefreaks remakes are they treat it as an exact 1+1 remake. While good, remaking a game should give developers an opportunity to strengthen their game. They could add more towns, different gyms, different characters. Let's Go (for all its flaws) was brave enough to diverge away from being an exact 1+1 remake of yellow.

But it's how I want to obtain the National Dex. I'm still hoping for a National Dex earned after seeing every Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex, including the Sinnoh Legendaries and Mythicals that Platinum left out of the regional Dex. I don't want Heatran to change location because Stark Mountain is the best place in Sinnoh for a Fire legendary, and I think there should be some kind of bonus for catching all the Sinnoh Pokémon before getting the National Dex and only the version exclusives should require trading and not the legendaries if those people want bragging rights. So the only option I have is to go to the Battle Zone early with the path from the ferry in the Fight Area to Heatran's chamber in Stark Mountain opened after the seventh Gym.
I very much doubt the National Dex is coming back. I’d expect a Sinnoh Dex of around 300-400 in the base game, including just about everything not in SwSh, and that’s it. No other Dexes until/unless there is DLC.

GameFreak have demonstrated in SM & SwSh that they’re perfectly fine with including Pokemon without also including Dex entries for them.

Last edited:
A long time ago, back when I was active on r/pokemon, I updated Sinnoh's Pokédex, adding in gen 5-7 Pokémon (this was pre-gen 8) to all the areas, plus a few extras such as additions of Cutiefly to honey trees. Unfortunately, it has been lost to the bowls of the Internet, and I have little desire to go through all that work again. However, I bring this up because I'd love to see GameFreak actually expand out the Sinnoh Pokédex to, say, 400-500 Pokémon. Even Platinum's expanded Pokédex is small in my eyes, only having 210 Pokémon. For example, updating the Old Chateau to not only have Ghastly plus the lone Rotom, but also Litwick, Gothita/Solosis, Espurr, Milcery, and Sinistea would be nice. Not only would it help give players more options, it would also be neat to see gen 5+ Pokémon in the region. I see no reason for the game to kneecap itself for the sake of staying faithful to the originals.

Unfortunately I think this is unlikely, but one can dream.

250 + Gastrodon in the West and 250 + Gastrodon in the East. That's the only way to go!

Yes, we definitely need some new areas. Especially if we're going to need to catch Heatran at Stark Mountain before the Elite Four, taking away half of the post-game areas from the original games.

Why would they even do that? They don't need to keep that "see every Pokemon" requirement, and I doubt the National Dex will even be in in the first place.

It wouldn't even be a remake anymore if they removed its post-game like that too.

Let's Go (for all its flaws) was brave enough to diverge away from being an exact 1+1 remake of yellow.

Because LGPE is a reimagining instead of a remake, which allows them to do more than what they'd do in a remake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom