• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So disappointed the Nintendo Direct didn't announce the Diamond and Pearl remakes...
I’m not sure why you were expecting it to. Pokémon has very clearly stated that its major announcements are coming next week, and we rarely if ever get major main-series Pokémon announcements in Nintendo Directs anyway.
You don't have to make a living Dex. I don't even catch evolved forms.
I think by “living Dex” they were referring to the full local Dex in this context.

I’m not sure why you were expecting it to. Pokémon has very clearly stated that its major announcements are coming next week, and we rarely if ever get major main-series Pokémon announcements in Nintendo Directs anyway.

I think by “living Dex” they were referring to the full local Dex in this context.
I did not know the date of the major announcements, so I assumed it would be in today's Nintendo Direct. And even if he was referring to the game's full dex, it makes no difference because I won't catch evolved forms or duplicate Pokémon anyway, and he was clearly worried about catching 900 Pokémon for the National Dex.

I did not know the date of the major announcements, so I assumed it would be in today's Nintendo Direct. And even if he was referring to the game's full dex, it makes no difference because I won't catch evolved forms or duplicate Pokémon anyway, and he was clearly worried about catching 900 Pokémon for the National Dex.
Like I said, main-series Pokémon announcements are very rarely if ever included in Nintendo Directs regardless.

And it really seems like you are missing his point entirely, but I won’t continue to speak for him.

There have been several Pokemon that have rarely been obtainable in the main game.
Fun fact: Houndour has only been catchable before the credits in three games! Not pairs, games. (XD, Platinum, and X.) Meowth also wasn't in a non-remake regional PokéDex for four generations.

I'm expecting these hypothetical remakes to have a Sinnoh PokéDex and a Battle Zone PokéDex.

The reason GF stated for Sword&Shield to not have all Pokemon in it was how much time they need to do all these "animations" and balancing reasons (yeah sure), so there's literally no reason anymore for the Pokemon which were in Sword&Shield to not be in the next games.

SwSh with all the dlcs already has about 650 Pokemon with a lot of Sinnoh Pokemon missing. In that case they could go the full way and have the DP remakes the full roster and let the Dexit thing be a one time deal because making that happen twice would piss off the fanbase even more.

The same for the possibility of the Post-Game area to be dlc stuff. Pokemon like Heatran and the whole galactic post-game stuff is not really something for a dlc neither.

Gamefreaks argument: Balancing reasons

Includes all the Water/Ground types in the game

If they REALLY want this game to not just succeed, but completely blow expectations out of the water and make up for the failures of the past 8 years, the VERY first announcement trailer should basically include:

-the Distortion World
-the Battle Frontier
-whatever the evolution/transformation gimmick included is (hopefully Mega Evolution, but they could get lazy and go the Dynamax route)

If a trailer like this comes out everyone will instantly have high hopes for the game and actually be invested in its pre-release and want to buy it on release day, otherwise the game will flop if they pull an ORAS again and cut all the good content people wanted from the third version.

Flop? ORAS was a good game. It didn't have the battle facility (Which was an Emerald thing anyways, so people that expected it in a remake of RS kind of created disappointment themselves. Never expect something that is not guaranteed to get in.) But it are still good games. (And the best remakes by a long mile.)

Some people take this entire crusade against GameFreak and their games way too far, I swear.

Flop? ORAS was a good game. It didn't have the battle facility (Which was an Emerald thing anyways, so people that expected it in a remake of RS kind of created disappointment themselves. Never expect something that is not guaranteed to get in.) But it are still good games. (And the best remakes by a long mile.)

Some people take this entire crusade against GameFreak and their games way too far, I swear.

HGSS are the best remakes by a long mile and set the precedent for a remake of paired games including most of the features of the counterpart third version.

ORAS were good games, I've always rated them as a 9/10, a 10/10 would've been if it had the Battle Frontier.

It's not just some hate train crusade against GameFreak, there's 100% statistics behind the falling quality of recent games since XY.

No main series Pokemon game truly "flops" but you all know what I mean. The games that "flop" in the community's eyes from a longterm standpoint. Sword and Shield are, by all means, dead games. Not many people are regularly playing them anymore. Games like Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, BW2 were famous for their sheer amount of quality content and their replayability. Sword and Shield was the first time I didn't buy both paired games. I own every game from RB to LGPE, until SwSh where I didn't buy Shield because even I stopped denying the fall of quality in the games.

HGSS are the best remakes by a long mile and set the precedent for a remake of paired games including most of the features of the counterpart third version.

They really aren't. In what universe are remakes that don't fix the most glaring gameplay issues the 'best remakes by a long mile'? Y'all tripping on that nostalgia. People be nagging at the new games for gameplay issues but then proceed to put the ones of the past with glaring gameplay issues on a high pedestal that reaches further than the Hall of Origin.

It's not just some hate train crusade against GameFreak, there's 100% statistics behind the falling quality of recent games since XY.

What statistics? Show those statistics then plus sources. Seems you know more than others then.

No main series Pokemon game truly "flops" but you all know what I mean. The games that "flop" in the community's eyes from a longterm standpoint. Sword and Shield are, by all means, dead games. Not many people are regularly playing them anymore. Games like Emerald, Platinum, HGSS, BW2 were famous for their sheer amount of quality content and their replayability. Sword and Shield was the first time I didn't buy both paired games. I own every game from RB to LGPE, until SwSh where I didn't buy Shield because even I stopped denying the fall of quality in the games.

No, a flop is when a game does so bad when it scraps planned sequels and causes a franchise to die. Megaman Star Force 3 to 4, the entire Inazuma Eleven franchise. A huge fanbase with very different opinions in which the vocal minority screams hardest that something is bad and therefore a flop is not what makes it a flop.

Think you're looking in the wrong place. I see plenty of people still play Sword and Shield. Your anger is blinding you, lad. Sword and Shield brought plenty of fun to the table. It may not have as much replay value as the older games (But by the time we are 5 more games in, people will go back and replay it en masse like they did with all previous games the moment more games came out) but it has plenty of (fun) stuff to keep playing.

Serebii absolutely had it right on how the fan base views older gens.

Current Gen -2: Underrated (currently X&Y)
Current Gen -3: Best Gen Ever (currently B&W)

Last edited:
If they REALLY want this game to not just succeed, but completely blow expectations out of the water and make up for the failures of the past 8 years, the VERY first announcement trailer should basically include:

-the Distortion World
-the Battle Frontier
-whatever the evolution/transformation gimmick included is (hopefully Mega Evolution, but they could get lazy and go the Dynamax route)

If a trailer like this comes out everyone will instantly have high hopes for the game and actually be invested in its pre-release and want to buy it on release day, otherwise the game will flop if they pull an ORAS again and cut all the good content people wanted from the third version.
How is ORAS a flop? Any Pokemon game that sells beyond 10 Mil copies is not a flop. Even LGPE.If you talk about flop as in quality, that's subjective. OR/AS were good games iMO.

"SH/SW are dead games, no one is playing them anymore" and how do you know that? How do you know that no one is replaying them? Proof?

ORAS were good games, I've always rated them as a 9/10, a 10/10 would've been if it had the Battle Frontier.

Ok, so, I don't think you understand what a flop is from GameFreak's perspective.

Just in the case of SwSh alone, if Bulbapedia's information is accurate, the games have already sold more than 20 million copies. That's more than RS, or DP or BW, or XY or SM. It was literally the biggest financial success a core series Pokemon game had in at least 5 generations, and that's before we consider the fact that it had a higher ticket price than any of those games (although when considering the price things get complicated because we probably should consider inflation).

As far as GameFreak's concerned, Sword and Shield were massive hits and they have no reason at all to change what they're doing.

You can complain all you want about a drop in quality and I even think you're right to a certain extent: from what I've seen from reviews, trailers and gameplay footage it really feels like a lot of things could have been handled a lot better in the game; not to mention that I have THOUGHTS about Dynamax.

But pretending it wasn't a commercial hit is just wrong and saying it didn't have any good points is just being unnecessarily harsh and probably clouded by nostalgia.

But back to the Gen IV remakes since it'd be a shame if the thread got locked for derailing: while I could somewhat see the Distortion World happening - even if I don't particularly care for it, at least without a rework in what happens if you faint to Cyrus / Giratina - the odds of Battle Frontier happening is almost nil.

Masuda has stated in an interview when ORAS came around that they explicitly didn't add the Battle Frontier because kids nowadays have lower attention spans because phones. While there's certainly a lot to discuss and criticize in this statement, it does serve as a precedent that the Battle Frontier is unlikely to come back, except maybe as an Expansion Pack with their own storyline.

Masuda has stated in an interview when ORAS came around that they explicitly didn't add the Battle Frontier because kids nowadays have lower attention spans because phones. While there's certainly a lot to discuss and criticize in this statement, it does serve as a precedent that the Battle Frontier is unlikely to come back, except maybe as an Expansion Pack with their own storyline.

Barry out here wondering why his dad is just sitting job-less at home everyday doing nothing.

"Best remakes" is subjective - I rank HGSS pretty low, myself.

More to the point though, pretty much everything you're using as evidence is subjective and/or anecdotal. You didn't buy both versions. You don't see many people playing SwSh anymore. (Maybe check out the #PokemonSwordShield hashtag on Twitter? There's plenty of examples of people still playing it or even just starting it for the first time.) You felt like there was a drop in quality. And yes, there are other people who would agree with you, absolutely, but the "community" is very diverse, especially if you go outside of the Internet forum bubbles.

Something that's been on my mind for quite some time, but I wonder how Game Freak will work with the Daimax function inside the Gyms. It might've been discussed here before, but I don't remember it.

One of the reasons it works for the Galar gyms to be huge soccer stadiums instead of average buildings is because of giant Pokemon, and we're only able to use Daimax mostly during gym battles (Wild Area and some plot-related battles too). So, for the remakes, will they just increase the building sizes, maybe making them open-roofed? Or make it impossible to Daimax inside them, and take this feature somewhere else? Or ignore it entirely?

Something that's been on my mind for quite some time, but I wonder how Game Freak will work with the Daimax function inside the Gyms. It might've been discussed here before, but I don't remember it.

Considering DPPt have a heavy time and space theme, I don't think space manipulation is out of the question. (Cause that seems to be the deal with Dynamax?)

I guess I might be looking to far into it, but the Dyna/Gigantamax Cloud and the cloud over Mt. Coronet being similar/the same?

Kinda sus.

1613746793734.jpg

Guuuys,what are you thinking about this?

Sky Diamond and Earthen Pearl are actually ... okay names?

Not my favorites but I'll take them if it happens, specially since it implies some level of tweaking.

But where did you get that from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom