• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short: Some people thought they could predict the next character in Smash by looking at the chairs Sakurai and co. were sitting in...

I'm not making this up...
Reminds me of when people on here would analyze pictures of Masuda's lunch to try to discover information on the upcoming games at the time lol.

Reminds me of when people on here would analyze pictures of Masuda's lunch to try to discover information on the upcoming games at the time lol.
thumb_lemme-move-my-bang-so-i-can-read-that-again-54179509.png

This thread might be useful to people who want to speculate on what is coming next outside of Gen 4 Remakes.
Here’s one for speculating on the future of the Let’s Go series.
And here’s another specifically for speculation on Let’s Go Johto.
I’m not sure I fully trust Centro just yet...apparently they said that the DP remakes would be very similar to Let’s Go which I really hope they’re wrong about (also...how would they know?).

I choose to forget these days, why must you remind me?

Out of curiosity (I don't know if this has been asked before), but what do you guys think of the possibility of ''Sinnoh Forms'' in the remakes being a thing?
I don't expect them to make regional variants for the remakes. We haven't had a traditional remake that has come out since they have made Regional Forms, so we really don't know what to expect. But, I can see them deciding to not make them with the justification of "It would go too far form the original source material" or some bull like that.

That being said, I want them to happen so badly. There's a lot of cool regional variants they can do, and I think adding regional variants would be a very smart decision on their part. I also think it could really help to add to the diversity in Sinnoh's dex. It's been pointed out a million times, but the amount of fire types in Sinnoh is almost criminally low (and that's being said by me, someone who doesn't like fire types purely because they are the fire typing. Fire is literally my least favorite element), not to mention that only 4 of 12 are Pokemon introduced in that generation. And one of those 4 is an evolution of a pre-existing Pokemon. I know they would probably do more to fill the dex for the remakes, likely adding some more fire types, but adding in some fire type regional variants would do a lotta good for Sinnoh.

So I would love to see regional variants, but I'm not going to expect them.

I choose to forget these days, why must you remind me?

I don't expect them to make regional variants for the remakes. We haven't had a traditional remake that has come out since they have made Regional Forms, so we really don't know what to expect. But, I can see them deciding to not make them with the justification of "It would go too far form the original source material" or some bull like that.

That being said, I want them to happen so badly. There's a lot of cool regional variants they can do, and I think adding regional variants would be a very smart decision on their part. I also think it could really help to add to the diversity in Sinnoh's dex. It's been pointed out a million times, but the amount of fire types in Sinnoh is almost criminally low (and that's being said by me, someone who doesn't like fire types purely because they are the fire typing. Fire is literally my least favorite element), not to mention that only 4 of 12 are Pokemon introduced in that generation. And one of those 4 is an evolution of a pre-existing Pokemon. I know they would probably do more to fill the dex for the remakes, likely adding some more fire types, but adding in some fire type regional variants would do a lotta good for Sinnoh.

So I would love to see regional variants, but I'm not going to expect them.

I'd prefer they didn't add any regional variants since that would be a somewhat big retcon to the Pokemon available in Sinnoh.

Platinum largely fixed the issues with Pokemon selection, offering you more Fire-types, and earlier in the game. In Platinum you had:

-Infernape line
-Magmortar line
-Rapidash line
-Houndoom line
-Flareon
-Heatran
-Rotom-Heat

The main issue now is availability. A lot of these aren't available until later in the game. Baby Pokemon like Magby and Elekid need to be available sooner, sort of like what they did with LGPE where they moved a lot of Pokemon in the game to earlier areas. I want the same sort of rebalancing changes made to Sinnoh remakes to diversify the Pokemon availability early and mid-game.

Rotom should be available early on via an Old Chateau sidequest that's accessible after the 2nd or 3rd gym badge.

The same gift Eevee from Platinum should be present again in Hearthome City as soon as you get there.

Magby or Magmar should retain Magmar's location in Platinum at the Fuego Ironworks.

Ponyta and Houndour's locations in Platinum should remain.

Really, the quality of these remakes entirely hinges on whether they go the HGSS route and include as much 3rd version content and changes as possible, or if they go the ORAS route, include less 3rd version content and keep it more true to the originals, right down to the Battle Tower ripoff.

I don't think the Sinnoh Dex needs to be made any bigger than it was in Platinum. Platinum's selection of Pokemon was great, I also like what they did with ORAS where they extended the Hoenn Dex to include all evolutions and pre-evolutions of Hoenn Pokemon, like Budew and Roserade for example.

I’m not sure I fully trust Centro just yet

Problem I have with Centro is they’ve been wrong in the past then deleted tweets of incorrect info to cover it - getting stuff wrong occasionally is fine, pretending you’re a bastion of knowledge is not. I could be remembering wrong but I’m pretty sure it was Centro who said Pokémon Stars was confirmed then deleted all mentions of it after they were proven wrong.

Ive actually blocked them on Twitter because I was fed up with their tweets showing up on my feed because of mentions of Pokémon!

I’m not sure I fully trust Centro just yet...apparently they said that the DP remakes would be very similar to Let’s Go which I really hope they’re wrong about (also...how would they know?).

They didn't say anything quite so concrete as that:

That's really more avoiding saying anything specific about the games, as if they're hedging their bets. The possibility exists, but will it be what happens? They don't know. However, since then they have said:

As to how they would know anything about it, that really just depends on the nature of their source(s). They leaked high-quality model rips of Calyrex's fused forms in the lead-up to the Crown Tundra, as well as the 3D HOME renders of the new Pokémon and forms from CT. What source has access to that kind of stuff? We can't really say. I don't know if Centro's right or not, but leaks take all kinds of forms.

Problem I have with Centro is they’ve been wrong in the past then deleted tweets of incorrect info to cover it - getting stuff wrong occasionally is fine, pretending you’re a bastion of knowledge is not. I could be remembering wrong but I’m pretty sure it was Centro who said Pokémon Stars was confirmed then deleted all mentions of it after they were proven wrong.

Ive actually blocked them on Twitter because I was fed up with their tweets showing up on my feed because of mentions of Pokémon!

Centro leaks are largely credible, that's why they do become so popular. Of course, a leaker can't get EVERYTHING right, and perhaps they actually did leak correct stuff that ended up getting scrapped, which just made them look incorrect. We don't really know, I believe it was only found recently that Gamefreak had two placeholders for two more Kalos games to come after XY? So basically XY were probably going to get the USUM treatment of dual-third versions before the idea was scrapped.

It's possible Stars was an idea and got scrapped too before being split into USUM. So "incorrect leaks" don't necessarily mean they were incorrect at the time, things can get scrapped or altered that we may never even hear about. But I think Stars was actually just the codename used in development, so if the codename was leaked and Centro took that to mean one third version when it was actually two being developed, you can't really fault them on that one, anyone would've made the same assumptions with that knowledge.

I think Centro is credible enough that we are 100% definitively getting a main series game announcement this week, do I think it's Sinnoh remakes? Yes. Am I 100% certain? No. I'd say I'm 99% certain of Sinnoh remakes and that remaining 1% is Let's Go Johto or something really out of left field like... An actual Pokemon Z or something lol

But I think Stars was actually just the codename used in development,

I’ve seen this suggested and other people who are knowledgeable in this state that Stars was never a code name applied to any Alola games. Even so if that was the case a correction tweet (e.g saying “this wasn’t what happened in the end but we thought it would because of X”) would make Centro more credible than covering up something wrong.

I’m not saying they are wrong about what they are currently posting (the odd bits I’ve seen lately have generally been fairly safe bet comments) but just saying it’s worth remembering that these are only really rumours until they are proven as leaks by the course of time.

But I think Stars was actually just the codename used in development, so if the codename was leaked and Centro took that to mean one third version when it was actually two being developed, you can't really fault them on that one, anyone would've made the same assumptions with that knowledge.
Wasn't "autumn" or something like that the actual codename?

I wonder what kind of "Let's Go elements" it could be that we could see in the Sinnoh remakes? I don't think they'd remove the classic catching mechanic again; the only games I could see this in again would be more Let's Go titles (Let's Go Johto specifically). The removal of held items and abilities? Even less likely, in my opinion.

The only things I could think of would be:
1) following Pokémon – which does have its roots in gen. 4, even though it wasn't fully realised until HeartGoldl/SoulSilver;
or 2) a grid-based map, which would definitely make the most sense because that's how Sinnoh was originally designed. Considering Game Freak's recent output, I'd rather they keep Sinnoh as it is (which is what they've done for all remakes so far) with all of its confusing, twisted dungeons instead of making it "more realistic", but at the same time stripping it of everything that made it fun to explore. I'm definitely not here for another glorified hallway like Galar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom