• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of when people on here would analyze pictures of Masuda's lunch to try to discover information on the upcoming games at the time lol.
1614029726099.png

I wonder what kind of "Let's Go elements" it could be that we could see in the Sinnoh remakes? I don't think they'd remove the classic catching mechanic again; the only games I could see this in again would be more Let's Go titles (Let's Go Johto specifically). The removal of held items and abilities? Even less likely, in my opinion.

The only things I could think of would be:
1) following Pokémon – which does have its roots in gen. 4, even though it wasn't fully realised until HeartGoldl/SoulSilver;
or 2) a grid-based map, which would definitely make the most sense because that's how Sinnoh was originally designed. Considering Game Freak's recent output, I'd rather they keep Sinnoh as it is (which is what they've done for all remakes so far) with all of its confusing, twisted dungeons instead of making it "more realistic", but at the same time stripping it of everything that made it fun to explore. I'm definitely not here for another glorified hallway like Galar.

I'm conflicted on this idea. On one hand, part of me wants to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" with the Sinnoh region and the Sinnoh games, but on the other hand, I KNOW what the Switch is capable of. It'd be a waste if they just remastered Platinum the same way they remastered Yellow into LGPE. Sure, it would work, it would be simple and easy to do, but it's not a Nintendo Switch game. It's a Nintendo 3DS game ported up with anti-aliasing to provide extremely satisfying visuals.

I want Mt. Coronet to be vast, I want to actually legitimately get lost in that cave and be frustrated and be forced to retrace my steps or use my escape rope. I want the game to have that BotW, open world, massive adventure feel to it. I want the Great Marsh to be transformed into a Wild Area, and I want certain parts of Mt. Coronet to get the Wild Area treatment as well.

But I'm also on the side of, looking at how SwSh was executed, and saying "please no, don't make the map big only for it to be boring and straightforward".

Basically, if done RIGHT, I want the vast open world feel, but if they can't do that right, I'd rather a remaster of the old Sinnoh region than a boring redesign.

I do hope that follow Pokémon, ride Pokémon, overworld Pokémon, and especially Shiny overworld Pokémon are all elements that carry over from LGPE into Sinnoh Remakes. It’s specifically the art-style and battle mechanics that I do not want.

I'd be 100% cool with all of this too, I think not having overworld shinies in SwSh is such a shame, I want to be able to have following and rideable Pokemon especially to replace the absurd amount of HMs required to traverse the Sinnoh region.

I also wouldn't mind the GO catching style, as long as it's an option. I think they could take a lot of inspiration from Pokemon Journeys, where Ash catches Pokemon more traditionally by battling them, but Goh just chucks Pokeballs at them like in GO/Let's Go until one sticks. Both styles are suitable, just don't force either on us, let us choose. I'd personally use both just depending on which I feel like using.

I believe it was only found recently that Gamefreak had two placeholders for two more Kalos games to come after XY

I know this isn't really the main topic at the moment, but just to clarify, we knew about those placeholders for a loooooooong time before now, since they were found in the code of Pokémon Bank starting from 2016. The factoid just started popping up in the news again recently because those placeholders were also spotted in the Sun & Moon source code leaks that came out not too long ago as a part of a larger Nintendo data leak.

I have a complex relationship with Diamond, because I always knew it was slow and convoluted, but at the same time it taught me to persevere and explore off the beaten path. When I played Ultra Moon last month, I was disappointed that there weren't many side-areas and you were railroaded by the plot.

I do hope that follow Pokémon, ride Pokémon, overworld Pokémon, and especially Shiny overworld Pokémon are all elements that carry over from LGPE into Sinnoh Remakes. It’s specifically the art-style and battle mechanics that I do not want.

I also hope we see these things. I wonder if they would have to do something more for shiny overworld Pokemon though. In LGPE you were able to see most of the grass around you, just because the camera was always in this near top-down perspective. But in SwSh they didn't have shiny overworld encounter Pokemon, and I wonder if it was because of the free-camera control you had in the Wild Area and DLCs. It would be super easy to miss a shiny with it.

I think if they do shiny overworld encounters and they have that free camera control, there needs to be some sort of sound, or maybe a lot of sparkles. Maybe the sparkles rotate around the Pokemon or something. LGPE already had the issues of Pokemon eventually despawning when it came to shiny hunting. It might make it even harder if shinies were easy to miss. That being said, I would love to have shiny overworld encounters back.

Last edited:
I have a complex relationship with Diamond, because I always knew it was slow and convoluted, but at the same time it taught me to persevere and explore off the beaten path. When I played Ultra Moon last month, I was disappointed that there weren't many side-areas and you were railroaded by the plot.

As a kid Diamond was my main game for 2 years since Platinum was 2 years after and I thoroughly enjoyed Diamond. I had like 400 hours in that game, but Platinum fixed basically every issue people had with DP, so I have high hopes for the remakes to take a lot of inspiration from Platinum as well as DP to provide us with the best Sinnoh experience possible. If the games are so good that they blow me away, I might even consider buying both games again, something I stopped doing with SwSh because the games were just so lackluster, Shield is at this time the only main series Pokemon game I do not own.

I know this isn't really the main topic at the moment, but just to clarify, we knew about those placeholders for a loooooooong time before now, since they were found in the code of Pokémon Bank starting from 2016. The factoid just started popping up in the news again recently because those placeholders were also spotted in the Sun & Moon source code leaks that came out not too long ago as a part of a larger Nintendo data leak.

Oh yeah I remember the Bank thing now. But just to reinforce my point, that's proof that games can be planned only to be scrapped, so leakers getting it wrong might not necessarily be on them, but on Gamefreak for scrapping the games the leakers were aware of that were possibly in the early stages of development.

So there is one thing we know about Pokemon week and that's the virtual concert taking place on the 27th.

I didn't play Platinum until years after it was released, and I could never really get into it.

Well I really hope these remakes are as good as people are expecting them to be, because it's bound to capture that classic Sinnoh feeling but with some inspiration from Platinum. I think the reason a lot of people, myself included, didn't get so much into Platinum was because we already had 2 years of Sinnoh, it's the same reason I could barely stand to play USUM since I'd already played SM the year prior.

But now that it's been 12 years since we've been to Sinnoh, I think a DP remake with some Platinum features added on would provide a phenomenal experience to all fans.

I wonder what kind of "Let's Go elements" it could be that we could see in the Sinnoh remakes? I don't think they'd remove the classic catching mechanic again; the only games I could see this in again would be more Let's Go titles (Let's Go Johto specifically). The removal of held items and abilities? Even less likely, in my opinion.

The only things I could think of would be:
1) following Pokémon – which does have its roots in gen. 4, even though it wasn't fully realised until HeartGoldl/SoulSilver;
or 2) a grid-based map, which would definitely make the most sense because that's how Sinnoh was originally designed. Considering Game Freak's recent output, I'd rather they keep Sinnoh as it is (which is what they've done for all remakes so far) with all of its confusing, twisted dungeons instead of making it "more realistic", but at the same time stripping it of everything that made it fun to explore. I'm definitely not here for another glorified hallway like Galar.

I don't know how I feel about going back to a grid based system. At least personally, I like the system SwSh had for the Wild Area and DLCs, because I love that camera, and it felt so much better walking around the area without being limited on what direction I could go in. It has never felt better to explore a Pokemon game before, even if what I was finding probably could have been a lot better. While I admit some of the routes were lacking in good exploration in the main game, I do think the DLCs basically had it almost figured out. Now I don't know exactly what some of Sinnohs caves and routes look like, just because I've only gotten through like, 10% of Platinum (can't stand the grinding), but the Isle of Armor had one forest that was kind of complex to navigate, and the caves in the Crown Tundra were an absolute maze at some points. Even after spending hours in the crown tundra, I still get lost in some of those caves.

I could live with it if they decided to stick remakes to a grid-based system, but it would feel like a step-down for me personally.

I'm conflicted on this idea. On one hand, part of me wants to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" with the Sinnoh region and the Sinnoh games, but on the other hand, I KNOW what the Switch is capable of. It'd be a waste if they just remastered Platinum the same way they remastered Yellow into LGPE. Sure, it would work, it would be simple and easy to do, but it's not a Nintendo Switch game. It's a Nintendo 3DS game ported up with anti-aliasing to provide extremely satisfying visuals.

I want Mt. Coronet to be vast, I want to actually legitimately get lost in that cave and be frustrated and be forced to retrace my steps or use my escape rope. I want the game to have that BotW, open world, massive adventure feel to it. I want the Great Marsh to be transformed into a Wild Area, and I want certain parts of Mt. Coronet to get the Wild Area treatment as well.

But I'm also on the side of, looking at how SwSh was executed, and saying "please no, don't make the map big only for it to be boring and straightforward".

Basically, if done RIGHT, I want the vast open world feel, but if they can't do that right, I'd rather a remaster of the old Sinnoh region than a boring redesign.

I'd be 100% cool with all of this too, I think not having overworld shinies in SwSh is such a shame, I want to be able to have following and rideable Pokemon especially to replace the absurd amount of HMs required to traverse the Sinnoh region.

Yes :) :) They definitely will have attempted, and personally i feel, succeeded in arriving at an absolutely incredible new game!! Sinnoh is the perfect canvas for this due to the natural features you have mentioned and how much it is the game and region that introduced the Pokemon who created the entire universe!

I don't have a screenshot but you can check on their twitter:

Centro just said that Nintendo just added two placeholders in the Nintendo Online Store of a dual-version game that will cost 59,99 dollars.

Don't wanna get my hopes up too much (since hey it's Centro), but gentlemen, this might be it.

Centro just said that Nintendo just added two placeholders in the Nintendo Online Store of a dual-version game that will cost 59,99 dollars.

Don't wanna get my hopes up too much (since hey it's Centro), but gentlemen, this might be it.

im-so-excited-scared-meme.jpg

Please do not screw up this. Pokemon Sword was meh but you cannot make this bad.

I mean at this point we know we're getting SOMETHING this week, we just don't know what for sure, but all signs point to Sinnoh. I think most people have pretty much jumped aboard the Sinnoh hype train. I'm all for it, my favorite Pokemon is Empoleon so I'm excited to use an Empoleon again in a playthrough!

I mean at this point we know we're getting SOMETHING this week, we just don't know what for sure, but all signs point to Sinnoh. I think most people have pretty much jumped aboard the Sinnoh hype train. I'm all for it, my favorite Pokemon is Empoleon so I'm excited to use an Empoleon again in a playthrough!
At least you have a Switch and money to buy it :cry: :cry:

And there is no emulator like DeSmuMe or Citra for the Switch, much less one that works on my computer lolll

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom