• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes wonder why they started making remakes

It serves two purposes:

1. To capitalize on people's nostalgia for games they played when they were kids and get them to rebuy the game all over again.
2. To make the game available to people that never got the opportunity to play the original because they didn't have the console it originally launched on.

I do think digital stores (eShop/VC/NSO) are making remakes an obsolete practice though, it'd be easier to just port the original instead of rebuild it from the ground up. I think if they want to actually remake a game they should consider larger improvements.

However, they have to consider what they built the original game on. With the Game Boy line of games, it was easy to just put on the eShop. But now that we are dealing with a game that was built with two screens in mind, it's not that simple. In fact, only the European WiiU Virtual Console had received DS games, and it was very little from what I can tell. And from what I have seen how badly Game Freak has handled the Gen 7 games in terms of FPS, I don't trust them to reliably port a DS game onto the Switch.

There is no Let's Go Games. If there is a game it is a Traditional Remake of Diamond & Pearl. They already confirmed in 2019 they were not working on anything LG related. The fear is unrealistic and dumb. If there is a Let's Go Game, it'll be a spin-off or a Extended Version of Pokemon Go on Switch targeted towards little kids.

The same Masuda also said they will never do DLC and we all know how that turned out.

I think for FireRed/LeafGreen, the main reason was the total unavailability of many gen. 1 and almost all gen. 2 'mons in Ruby/Sapphire?

Yeah. FRLG are a bit of an interesting case, because there wasn't that much time in between their release and the originals - the most recent Kanto-based game had been Yellow, released in 1998/1999, a mere 5 years before FRLG came around. No other remake in the series has been put out so quickly after the original games. Compounding on that, even the games immediately prior to FRLG still featured the Kanto region and its characters and its Pokémon; plus, the Game Boy Advance was backwards-compatible, meaning that you could actually play RBY on there with no issue. So nostalgia was perhaps less of a factor for that one. Definitely applies to all the rest, though.

Last edited:
Whether the Sinnoh remakes have Let's Go catching or not, if they do it'll most likely be optional and you'll be able to toggle between the two catching styles. This would mirror the anime with Ash using a more traditional style whereas Goh uses the GO style.

Yeah. FRLG are a bit of an interesting case, because there wasn't that much time in between their release and the originals - the most recent Kanto-based game had been Yellow, released in 1998/1999, a mere 5 years before FRLG came around. No other remake in the series has been put out so quickly after the original games. Compounding on that, even the games immediately prior to FRLG still featured the Kanto region and its characters and Pokémon; plus, the Game Boy Advance was backwards-compatible, meaning that you could actually play RBY on there with no issue. So nostalgia was perhaps less of a factor for that one. Definitely applies to all the rest, though.

I do remember feeling like FRLG was a bit early for a remake, but I also started Pokemon with Silver and bought RBY a few years later. So it was even shorter for me. The lack of 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon in RS was most likely a factor in FRLG, there was a lot of controversy in RS omitting some of the 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon from the game (it was a very similar situation to Dexit really). But after FRLG, a lot of people were saying "well I like GSC better, I want a remake of that game" (and again, as someone who started with Silver, I wanted it too), so then that likely lead Game Freak to believe that they could make money on HGSS and released that, then the RS crowd started getting vocal for RS remakes, and the cycle's continued on and on and will probably never stop until Game Freak decides to stop making remakes.

I do remember feeling like FRLG was a bit early for a remake, but I also started Pokemon with Silver and bought RBY a few years later. So it was even shorter for me. The lack of 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon in RS was most likely a factor in FRLG, there was a lot of controversy in RS omitting some of the 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon from the game (it was a very similar situation to Dexit really). But after FRLG, a lot of people were saying "well I like GSC better, I want a remake of that game" (and again, as someone who started with Silver, I wanted it too), so then that likely lead Game Freak to believe that they could make money on HGSS and released that, then the RS crowd started getting vocal for RS remakes, and the cycle's continued on and on and will probably never stop until Game Freak decides to stop making remakes.

My pipe dream is that they'll revisit Gen 6 and do remasters of those games, Pokemon Z and Pokemon Delta Emerald and give the fans the games they REALLY wanted, which was a fleshed out Kalos with Zygarde being important to the plot, and ORAS but with the Groudon and Kyogre fight scene, the Delta Episode could remain largely the same and then the Battle Frontier. I think both games would make fantastic remakes on the Switch if they wanted to take the time to do those instead of rushing a new generation every 3 years like they have been.

I mean to be honest, LGPE already blurred the lines of what defines a generation to begin with. It was the first main series game on Switch so I consider it to be a Gen 8 game, I lump it in with SwSh, even if that's retroactively speaking.

I think that much in the same way they remastered Yellow instead of RB or FRLG, they might approach re-remakes in much the same way, and hopefully they'll finally give us Pokemon Z for a true Kalos game as well.

I know Game Freak had nothing to do with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon DX, but I wish they'd take that approach for remakes/remasters. Instead of doing what LGPE did and splitting a third version into two games, combine the two original games into one definitive remaster. This is basically the logic I'm applying when talking about my idea of Pokemon Z and Pokemon Delta Emerald.

Plus, Centro Pokemon Leaks already said that the DP remakes are not going to have Let's Go catching. This is someone who knows which sources to trust.
I don’t find it likely that the DP Remakes would involve LG catching/elements but I also don’t really fully trust Centro. In fact, one of the reasons people even think LG Sinnoh is a thing is because of a rumor they started that they later had to backtrack on.

The leak about DP remakes with Let's go catching mechanic is debunked I don't know why people are getting confused, DP remakes are Main core series and Let's Go are the side series, Plus Why would Gamefreak add let's go catching mechanic in the core series, that make zero since, Especially if Gamefreak decided to keep going with the Let's Go series, and Fans are dying for DP Remakes for a long time.

To me, it doesn't make sense to have Let's Go catching in the Gen 4 remakes for two reasons:

The first is the simplification idea, with how Let's Go has only begun as a series, making the next game directly after it with all of these other mechanics that were originally introduced much more slowly to then just throw all into the game at once would overwhelm the player.

Secondly is the fact that Let's Go as a separate series has already been created as a line of brand. We have seen time and time again that Pokemon would rather keep as many different line of brands as possible. This is not limited to the games either, they have made different series of anime side-by-side and have supported more than one line of merchandise at the same time as well.

The leak about DP remakes with Let's go catching mechanic is debunked I don't know why people are getting confused, DP remakes are Main core series and Let's Go are the side series, Plus Why would Gamefreak add let's go catching mechanic in the core series, that make zero since, Especially if Gamefreak decided to keep going with the Let's Go series, and Fans are dying for DP Remakes for a long time.

Well you're wrong on one count, LGPE are most definitely main series games. If you want to talk about misconceptions, what you said about them being a side game is the biggest misconception. They're literally remakes of the third version of the original Pokemon games.

, DP remakes are Main core series and Let's Go are the side series,

LGPE are officially classified as main series games though.

The fact that they're reimaginings of Yellow enforces that even more, but it's also not up to fans to decide what is or isn't mainline - if it uses the Pocket Monster title for its Japanese name, then it's mainline.

I'd say if anything, this is a better source for figuring out what is or isn't mainline, since it's officially listed as such on their website:

View: https://twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/1356655689268084744?s=19

And Wikipedia is a nice hub for all official information and sources to be compiled.
My bad, Let's Go are main series, I'm just saying that it make zero since include Let's go catching mechanic in main core series, So I apologize for the misconception. Plus I've never played Let's go, because I feel you need Pokemon Go to play Let's Go, and I'm not a big fan of the Catching mechanic.

My bad, Let's Go are main series, I'm just saying that it make zero since include Let's go catching mechanic in main core series, So I apologize for the misconception. Plus I've never played Let's go, because I feel you need Pokemon Go to play Let's Go, and I'm not a big fan of the Catching mechanic.

Not at all, Pokemon Go is far from required. The only way I would say it's required is if you're going for Pokedex completion, because I had most of the Kanto living Dex on Go beforehand to transfer up. Without Pokemon Go it's literally just a more aesthetically pleasing Pokemon Yellow. Very fun game, I wouldn't pick up both copies but I'd recommend you try at least one, whichever starter you gravitate to more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom