• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, this prediction is completely predicated on the highly exaggerated caricature of GameFreak being lazy and greedy with no regard for pleasing their hypnotized consumers. I think it’s better to base expectations on patterns, logic, and market demand rather than continuing to buy into this biased notion that GameFreak are suddenly out to get us.

I mean, the cash grabbiness comes from patterns, business logic, and market demand. I could see Let's Go happening on the basis that it's cheaper to make and draws in mobile gamers (or at least they think it does, I'm not convinced it does because so many of them don't want to buy dedicated gaming devices).

I mean, the cash grabbiness comes from patterns, business logic, and market demand. I could see Let's Go happening on the basis that it's cheaper to make and draws in mobile gamers (or at least they think it does, I'm not convinced it does because so many of them don't want to buy dedicated gaming devices).
My point is that claiming GameFreak is going to do something just because it’s “cash grabby” and easy is disingenuous. LG being “cheaper to make” doesn’t mean it’s the most likely next step.

My point is that claiming GameFreak is going to do something just because it’s “cash grabby” and easy is disingenuous. LG being “cheaper to make” doesn’t mean it’s the most likely next step.

Not really. Economics 101 says you try to maximize profit, and since profit is based on revenue minus expenses, you get more profit by either increasing revenue or decreasing expenses. So expecting Game Freak to take the cheap route is sadly feasible. That's not to say it's the only way they could possibly make a profit, but that line of thinking is valid and that does seem to be the strategy Game Freak is leaning on based on recent history.

Not really. Economics 101 says you try to maximize profit, and since profit is based on revenue minus expenses, you get more profit by either increasing revenue or decreasing expenses. So expecting Game Freak to take the cheap route is sadly feasible. That's not to say it's the only way they could possibly make a profit, but that line of thinking is valid and that does seem to be the strategy Game Freak is leaning on based on recent history.
Yes really. Based on stats that we’ve seen in this thread, LG performed nowhere near SwSh’s profit margins. So by your own definitions, just because it was cheaper to make (do we really even know this to be true?) didn’t mean it profited more.
My point was never “the line of thinking that they will try to maximize profit with their next move is invalid”. My point was that thinking that they are going to ignore consumer demand for the purpose of maximizing profit is counterintuitive. You need to please consumers to keep them. Consumers want DP Remakes and clearly preferred Sword and Shield’s style over LG.

You can see the slots spinning. They're not that random. You should get 777 if you time it perfectly.
1614221383598.png

Sean, we've had this exact discussion before already. At least come up with some new points if you're going to rehash the conversation again.

Yes really. Based on stats that we’ve seen in this thread, LG performed nowhere near SwSh’s profit margins. So by your own definitions, just because it was cheaper to make (do we really even know this to be true?) didn’t mean it profited more.
My point was never “the line of thinking that they will try to maximize profit with their next move is invalid”. My point was that thinking that they are going to ignore consumer demand for the purpose of maximizing profit is counterintuitive. You need to please consumers to keep them. Consumers want DP Remakes and clearly preferred Sword and Shield’s style over LG.

SwSh also had the benefit of being a new generation game, which have always sold better than remakes. So that doesn't necessarily mean that consumers don't want LG style, it most likely means that they want new regions with new Pokemon. It's better to do a 1 to 1 comparison with other games of the same type. New generations always sell more than third versions and remakes, and with the exception of Yellow, remakes always sell better than third versions. So it's best to compare LG to other remakes, in which case it's the second highest selling.

And while we don't know exactly how much they're spending, it's a pretty safe assumption that the resources needed to design new Pokemon, areas, characters, stories, etc. costs more than recycling an old game, so most likely LGPE was actually more profitable than SwSh sadly. Likewise, by cutting Pokemon and features compared to other remakes, they're probably saving money there as well. So it may actually be the most profitable remake, maybe even the most profitable Pokemon game ever. We don't know the specifics of what they're spending, no, but based on what they're including in the game, we can make an educated guess on how much they're spending on one game relative to another. And in LGPE's case, the amount of cuts definitely points to "We can save money excluding all of these things and the kids and mobile gamers won't care".

SwSh also had the benefit of being a new generation game, which have always sold better than remakes. So that doesn't necessarily mean that consumers don't want LG style, it most likely means that they want new regions with new Pokemon. It's better to do a 1 to 1 comparison with other games of the same type. New generations always sell more than third versions and remakes, and with the exception of Yellow, remakes always sell better than third versions. So it's best to compare LG to other remakes, in which case it's the second highest selling.

And while we don't know exactly how much they're spending, it's a pretty safe assumption that the resources needed to design new Pokemon, areas, characters, stories, etc. costs more than recycling an old game, so most likely LGPE was actually more profitable than SwSh sadly. Likewise, by cutting Pokemon and features compared to other remakes, they're probably saving money there as well. So it may actually be the most profitable remake, maybe even the most profitable Pokemon game ever. We don't know the specifics of what they're spending, no, but based on what they're including in the game, we can make an educated guess on how much they're spending on one game relative to another. And in LGPE's case, the amount of cuts definitely points to "We can save money excluding all of these things and the kids and mobile gamers won't care".
You’re once again missing my point entirely regarding people making predictions that are based on skewed and biased views of GF. The narrative that GameFreak are penny pinching misers and therefore we aren’t getting DP Remakes is tiring.

...Am I the only one that is still optimistic?

I am also optimistic...about the games themselves. Not so much the inevitable community reactions to them. I just never find a reason to post here because every time I want to the place is full of doomsday speak...like the conversation going on right now. So it just gets depressing and frustrating.

Anywho, I can see us getting an announcement or not getting an announcement this week. On one hand it is the 25th anniversary and that's a big deal, so they may go against their usual pattern and go ahead and announce it to drive hype. On the other hand, they don't normally announce remakes/whatever is next in the generation until spring. I'm hopeful but also I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get a reveal this week.

I really hope we do get a reveal this week so we can move on from the "WHAT IF IT'S LET'S GO??" insanity and clinging to every Centro post or freaking out over the wording of a certain official Twitter post.

Speaking of Centro, they just posted a sound clip that may or may not be from a Sinnoh-related trailer. Has Arceus's theme in it iirc. Not sure I trust it yet but hey it sounds cool.

You’re once again missing my point entirely regarding people making predictions that are based on skewed and biased views of GF. The narrative that GameFreak are penny pinching misers and therefore we aren’t getting DP Remakes is tiring.

I mean, they're making a leap in logic, but they're not wrong. The idea of them twirling their moustache and going "Nyeh-heh-heh, let's see what we can do to disappoint fans today" is definitely inaccurate, but making decisions based on profitability does have that effect due to them looking to cut expenses (read: cut features fans like). If they find something even cheaper than DP remakes that they can still sell, they'll do it regardless of the kind of flak they get for the decision.

Speaking of Centro, they just posted a sound clip that may or may not be from a Sinnoh-related trailer. Has Arceus's theme in it iirc. Not sure I trust it yet but hey it sounds cool.
Tracing that back to its source, it's from this 4Chan post:
1614223403744.png

Sidenote- getting pissed at these accounts that'll post part of a leak but not the original context it was posted in. This post literally came with its own expiration date but they'll leave that out, and why? Because it'll get more attention, I guess.

Anyways, put me down for skeptical, as always.

Centro was talking with a remixer in a twitter thread, and somewhere along the way they pointed out that the sound at the end sounds like this at the end of a Japanese trailer for the DLC packs. Except... you can also clearly hear that little "clink!" noise when you press A on a dialogue box, and from what I can tell, Japanese trailers don't really do that, even when they're displaying dialogue boxes. (x, x, x)

Also, if they're recording a Japanese trailer, why is this going on English sites like 4Chan and Vocaro?

And two trailers on one day? Why not just make one big trailer lmao.

I mean, they're making a leap in logic, but they're not wrong. The idea of them twirling their moustache and going "Nyeh-heh-heh, let's see what we can do to disappoint fans today" is definitely inaccurate, but making decisions based on profitability does have that effect due to them looking to cut expenses (read: cut features fans like). If they find something even cheaper than DP remakes that they can still sell, they'll do it regardless of the kind of flak they get for the decision.
It just all goes back to perspective. We all obviously know that they’re a business who wants and needs profit. But framing every decision they make as a means to get the most money possible with no regard for the consumer is, again, disingenuous. A business that ignores its consumers wants for the sake of short-term gain is not sustainable. Pokémon has existed successfully for 25 years. Clearly they’re doing something right. Anyway, I’m done with this. You clearly have a different outlook on the company than me, which is fine, but I’m frankly tired of having massive quote wars with you over it and dominating threads with them.
Regarding this latest Centro “leak” I’m skeptical as well. The sound bytes all sound like things we have already heard: the trailer noises, the button presses, Arceus’ cry. And why would the Arceus theme be what plays in one of the first trailers anyway?
Edit: Oop, ninja’d, it’s already ded lol

Also, not to be an asshole but between this and actually giving regizap the time of day I really think Centro needs to be taken down from the throne they're on lol. (Not like "we need to destroy them", just "people shouldn't take their word as gospel") Clearly they're good at datamining DLC content, but not so much with just critically assessing random rumors online.

Tomorrow I imagine we might get the announcement revealing a Pokemon Direct for the 26th. If not, I'm not sure what will happen. We're supposed to get some announcement. They did say there will be announcements across the franchise through the week, so it would be odd to say that and not have any major game announcements. So far its just been new stuff for Go, Masters, TCG, merchandise, and the anime.

Yeah, it would be odd if none of the announcements are related to the main series Pokémon games. The reason why the franchise is so over represented in a video game crossover like Super Smash Bros? And yeah, the Sinnoh starters on the chocolate but no starters from Johto, Hoenn, Unova, Kalos or Alola does seem suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom