• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IV Remake Speculation

Will there be remakes in Gen VIII?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole numbering issue is one of reasons why I don't miss the National Dex at all. I much prefer the Regional Dexes where Pokémon that belong together are actually listed together, e. g. Elekid –> Electabuzz –> Electivire, or Eevee + all of its evolutions regardless when they were introduced, and it would logically be the same with any potential new evolutions. For all I care, they could completely abandon the National Dex for good. Obviously, what I do have an issue with is Pokémon not being available at all, even through trade, like it happened with Sword/Shield.

Adding Sinnohan forms is a fairly large retcon, larger than allowing evolutions from other generations.

How so? What makes it such a "big" retcon, especially when they can just say it's a different universe?

I'd rather that dev time go to the underground, Battle Frontier, and Distortion World. If we get Sinnohan forms but we don't get the best out of the aforementioned areas, I would be immensely disappointed in these games for the dev time that got wasted.

Edit: Also, allowing Alolan forms in LGPE is not even close to the same thing. They didn't create Kantonian forms of any Gen 3-7 Pokemon, which would've been the counterpart to these hypothetical Sinnohan forms. I'm 100% fine with allowing us to have Alolan and Galarian forms in Sinnoh remakes, but Sinnohan forms are a waste of dev time. Save regional variants for new generations and their respective regions.

You do know it's not like there's only 10 guys working on the game, right? The team that designs the Pokémon is different from the team that creates the models, and that team is different still from the people programming specific functionality features.

They might keep most of the new designs for the generation to come (probably 2022, knowing GF).

It's not like "designs" are a pre-made supply that they have to ration out proportionally for each game. They just come up with whatever they feel the current game calls for, which is why the new forms and species that have been added in mid-gen releases have always been contextual to what that game was doing. Designing a bunch of new Megas for ORAS didn't take away from the amount of designs they were able to make for SM or anything. Throwing in some regional variants here and now won't affect Gen 9.

This whole numbering issue is one of reasons why I don't miss the National Dex at all. I much prefer the Regional Dexes where Pokémon that belong together are actually listed together, e. g. Elekid –> Electabuzz –> Electivire, or Eevee + all of its evolutions regardless when they were introduced, and it would logically be the same with any potential new evolutions. For all I care, they could completely abandon the National Dex for good. Obviously, what I do have an issue with is Pokémon not being available at all, even through trade, like it happened with Sword/Shield.

The National Dex will always and must always exist simply for the sake of indexing every Pokemon in some sort of numerical order. Even without SwSh having a National Dex, all Galar Pokemon exist in the National Dex. I'm fine with it being a Go/Home thing only, but they can't scrap it entirely, but we don't need it included in every game, that I agree with.

How so? What makes it such a "big" retcon, especially when they can just say it's a different universe?

You do know it's not like there's only 10 guys working on the game, right? The team that designs the Pokémon is different from the team that creates the models, and that team is different still from the people programming specific functionality features.

Then take the time to design Primal Dialga, Primal Palkia, some new Arceus forms, Gigantamax/Mega Sinnoh starters, etc.

We don't need Sinnohan forms and I don't particularly want or care for them, case closed, I can't put it any simpler than that.

I would want the National Dex included in every game. It's fun to listen to the cries of the seen Pokémon in National Dex order.

I'm indifferent, I guess I'd prefer it be included but I don't really care if it's not. It's a neat collector's feature that I barely partake in. I've only ever completed the National Dex in Gen 3 and Gen 6 (Emerald and ORAS respectively). I typically only use Pokemon I can find in the main game barring few exceptions, but I will say this: there's no sense in not including it. It already exists, it was a staple of the series in a large majority of the games, and even in games where it technically wasn't supposed to exist (Ruby and Sapphire), it still existed, and could be unlocked by trading in a foreign Pokemon.

Yeah, it's not impressive because it was on the DS in 2009... :bulbaFacepalm:

With the Switch there is SOO much they can do. Like you said with soaring on a Togekiss, they could easily go something along the lines of the wormhole route from USUM, or expand on that concept immensely, the possibilities are endless and I'd love to see what the Switch is capable of giving us for the Distortion World.

That's why I said it's not impressive anymore. I'd happily eat my words if they do add this improved Distortion World into the games, I just don't think it's particularly likely.

While they did do some map changes in ORAS (Mauville and Sea Mauville come to mind), I don't think they ever did as drastic a change as this reworking of the Distortion World would imply.

That's why I said it's not impressive anymore. I'd happily eat my words if they do add this improved Distortion World into the games, I just don't think it's particularly likely.

While they did do some map changes in ORAS (Mauville and Sea Mauville come to mind), I don't think they ever did as drastic a change as this reworking of the Distortion World would imply.

I wouldn't necessarily take ORAS as the precedent as for what to expect from a remake, that's almost what the minimum is for a remake, FRLG included the Sevii Islands and HGSS included the Safari Zone and graphically enhanced a lot of existing areas, HGSS was by far the biggest upgrade in terms of a remake. Lugia and Ho-Oh's respective entrance scenes and locations were very beautiful for their time and even to this day are quite aesthetically pleasing. Generation 4 truly felt like the generation where they tried to make the most perfect games possible, like I cannot think of a simple gripe I have with Platinum or HGSS, and they need to go back to their design philosophies from that generation because those two are arguably the most perfect Pokemon games.

Although on the topic of ORAS, they completely overhauled Origin Cave, Sky Pillar, added Soaring, enhanced the Battle Resort to some sort of halfway state between "nothing but a tower" and "a full on Battle Frontier". So to say a remake won't improve or enhance existing locations is straight up false.

Locking in my guess for Infinite Diamond and Eternal Pearl. X of Y is a fun naming style, but probably not what they'll use, and Infinity Diamond/Eternity Pearl makes them sound too much like collectable magic stones, like the Chaos Emeralds or Infinity Stones.

If (fingers crossed) the Presents does announce remakes, I'm almost as excited for what else the presentation holds, because it'd have to be something special for them to forgo a Direct to announce a mainline game, wouldn't it?

Do you honestly think post malone rewrote lyrics to a cover pay-rolled by the Pokemon Company.
Yes, because he literally did that. That's why he also changed the line from "Dolphins" to "Cowboys". Unless you think that was a command from Pokemon as well?
It was obviously put in there a little easter egg and considering the likelihood of DP remakes, it was obviously intentional.
Yes, because obviously Pokemon insisted on Post Malone giving people an easter egg hinting at their next games in his cover of a song that predates the Pokemon franchise, so that fans would pick up on the single word change and correctly infer the content of their next games, rather than just announcing it. Obviously.
Let's Go was a traditional remake while Gen 6 was pushed forward to save the (at the time) failing 3DS. Like you said, remakes are expected and are practically a given. I'm ready to be proven wrong, but I don't think you or anyone here will be willing to bet against the likelihood of remakes appearing.
I've literally said as much.
I do expect remakes this gen,
I'm not arguing against the idea of remakes, I'm arguing against the idea that we should take a minor word change in a Post Malone cover or easily-debunked 4Chan posts as proof of anything.
There have been many leaks (check out centro).
Oh, which Centro tweet should I check out? The audio post on 4Chan that was quickly debunked, or the time they said "Hey maybe regizap actually knows something because this one user liked one of their tweets- oh no, they were just saying they liked the idea".
Again, we don't know if the leaks are correct until the game is reveled.
Then calling them conclusive is being pretty generous, isn't it? It's not like Affleak where some parts of it were confirmed canon, there's just a bunch of rumors that haven't been outright proven false.
Also, I don't want any Pokémon to be in a state of regional limbo like Meltan, so Calyrex has to be the last Pokémon in the National Dex until Generation IX.
Natdex doesn't have anything to do with what region a Pokemon is from. If you're talking about the debate about whether or not Meltan was a Gen 7 Pokemon, generations are really more of a fan category than anything, not something Game Freak would have to go out of its way for. (Plus, with Meltan as a precedent, we can just say "If it's released in a game before the next new region, it's part of the current generation, not a new one")
Also, I don’t think GameFreak will let National Dex numbering stand in the way if they want to do something. National Dex has been gone for two generations, I doubt it’s coming back;
I actually do think that they'll care a little bit, because Home still uses it, and I'm pretty sure that the assets for Pokemon are numbered by their natdex number, but they'll only "care about it" insofar as just like, keeping an order so they can have it to sort by.
but it's not a Kanto Pokémon because it's not part of the original 151.
Why not? Kanto's just a region that holds a lot of Pokemon in it.
what's a Sinnoh Pokémon that wasn't even conceived at the time of Platinum, and separated from the other Sinnoh Pokémon in the dex by 406?
What's an Eeveelution that wasn't even conceived at the time of Eevee's design, and separated from the other Eeveelutions by some hundred dex entries?

National Dex number doesn't mean anything about the origin of a Pokemon, it's just there to keep Pokemon in order of release.
Since when is the concept of Sinnohan forms a thing and plausible?

Regions of 'Japan' (the first 4 gens) have never had regional forms.

I mean, they'd be cool, but there is 0 precedence to expect them.
Regional forms have only been a thing for two generations lol, of course we didn't have them before. This is also our first traditional remake since the concept of regional forms was introduced- it's not shocking that people would wonder if Pokemon from regions outside of Poke-Japan would get regional forms.
Behold, the ultimate nightmare scenario:
Honestly I'm here for seeing ethereal beings of time and space as your cute little Poke-Partner starter.
I dont want a third regional variant of Meowth
Technically, it'd be the fourth. Even assuming we got regional variants, though, Meowth would almost certainly not be getting a new one for Sinnoh, since a) it's already been found in the wild there, and b) it's part of Poke-Japan with Johto and Kanto.
Since I've been seeing this word appear more and more as the announcement approaches, a question: the "h" in "Sinnohan" is supposed to be silent or not? I don't know how to pronounce it xD
I say silent, it's silent in the basic Sinnoh.

I wouldn't necessarily take ORAS as the precedent as for what to expect from a remake, that's almost what the minimum is for a remake, FRLG included the Sevii Islands and HGSS included the Safari Zone and graphically enhanced a lot of existing areas, HGSS was by far the biggest upgrade in terms of a remake. Lugia and Ho-Oh's respective entrance scenes and locations were very beautiful for their time and even to this day are quite aesthetically pleasing. Generation 4 truly felt like the generation where they tried to make the most perfect games possible, like I cannot think of a simple gripe I have with Platinum or HGSS, and they need to go back to their design philosophies from that generation because those two are arguably the most perfect Pokemon games.

Although on the topic of ORAS, they completely overhauled Origin Cave, Sky Pillar, added Soaring, enhanced the Battle Resort to some sort of halfway state between "nothing but a tower" and "a full on Battle Frontier". So to say a remake won't improve or enhance existing locations is straight up false.
Good thing I never said they wouldn't improve or enhance an existing location then.

I said a full rework of the Distortion World, at least in the way I exemplified before, would require a lot of work, possibly even adding features to the engine that aren't there and are non trivial.

I think it's unlikely we'll get a fundamentally different experience with the Distortion World, and as such, I'm tempering my expectations to manageable levels.

Locking in my guess for Infinite Diamond and Eternal Pearl. X of Y is a fun naming style, but probably not what they'll use, and Infinity Diamond/Eternity Pearl makes them sound too much like collectable magic stones, like the Chaos Emeralds or Infinity Stones.

Are you sure you don't have those names swapped? Time is eternal and space is infinite. I think you have your names swapped.

A lot of people have been saying Eternal/Eternity Diamond and Infinite/Infinity Pearl.

Good thing I never said they wouldn't improve or enhance an existing location then.

I said a full rework of the Distortion World, at least in the way I exemplified before, would require a lot of work, possibly even adding features to the engine that aren't there and are non trivial.

I think it's unlikely we'll get a fundamentally different experience with the Distortion World, and as such, I'm tempering my expectations to manageable levels.

You're completely right, I've changed my mind. Trying to create a quality Distortion World would take up way too many resources, I'd also rather they update their trees so they don't look like something I made in MS paint in 5 minutes.

I keep forgetting these games will be built on SwSh's engine and I'm beyond terrified that we'll still have atrocious draw distance that mirrors my friend's 20/100 eyesight, models spinning on their axis unrealistically, and trees I made in 2003 when I was 6 years old on MS paint.

Last edited:
What's an Eeveelution that wasn't even conceived at the time of Eevee's design, and separated from the other Eeveelutions by some hundred dex entries?
A Pokémon that evolves from Eevee. That's it. Leafeon is a Sinnoh Eeveelution. They don't have to be all Kanto Pokémon, but all Kanto Pokémon have to exist at the time of Generation I. Baby Pokémon and new evolutions are associated with the region they're introduced in, not the home of their relatives. New Pokémon are identified by the region of the generation they make main game debut, so Meltan is technically an Alolan Pokémon despite being exclusive to Kanto, because Kanto's generation already ended nearly two decades before Meltan was introduced.

Are you sure you don't have those names swapped? Time is eternal and space is infinite. I think you have your names swapped.
Yeah, good catch lol
A Pokémon that evolves from Eevee. That's it. Leafeon is a Sinnoh Eeveelution.
Why is it a Sinnoh Eeveelution? I can evolve Eevee into Leafeon in Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola, and Galar- why should it be classified as a Sinnoh Eeveelution?
They don't have to be all Kanto Pokémon, but all Kanto Pokémon have to exist at the time of Generation I. Baby Pokémon and new evolutions are associated with the region they're introduced in, not the home of their relatives. New Pokémon are identified by the region of the generation they make main game debut, so Meltan is technically an Alolan Pokémon despite being exclusive to Kanto
According to who? These all just seem like arbitrary rules you thought up yourself, not anything with canon basis.

Yungoos' dex entry specifically says that "It did not originally live in Alola but was imported from another region." - but it's an Alolan Pokemon because it debuted in SuMo? Deoxys is a mutated space virus, but it's a Hoenn Pokemon because it debuted in RSE?

It makes way more sense to just accept that there's some separation between development and story here, and that the generation of a Pokemon is only useful for discussion outside of the universe. In-universe, people would just acknowledge these Pokemon as being native to multiple regions, just like how you can find certain animals in multiple parts of the world.

Well, Bulbapedia would identify Pokémon by generation introduced and fans and TPC often make region synonymous with gens. New Pokémon introduced in the Diamond and Pearl remakes as evolved forms of Sinnohan variants would be Gen VIII Pokémon, not Gen IV, so would be more associated with Galar even though it came from Sinnoh. Get the confusion? If you want Sinnohan forms, fine, but no new evolutions. Deoxys was first obtainable in FireRed and LeafGreen, yet it's still a Hoenn Pokémon and not a Kanto Pokémon.

and fans and TPC often make region synonymous with gens.
Pretty sure they never used the term "generation" in any official way.
New Pokémon introduced in the Diamond and Pearl remakes as evolved forms of Sinnohan variants would be Gen VIII Pokémon, not Gen IV, so would be more associated with Galar even though it came from Sinnoh. Get the confusion?
No, I don't, because the "confusion" only comes from the stubborn insistence that National Pokedex number should also dictate what region a Pokemon is associated with, when that's not something with any real basis.
If you want Sinnohan forms, fine, but no new evolutions.
Awfully generous of you to allow them into the game.
Deoxys was first obtainable in FireRed and LeafGreen, yet it's still a Hoenn Pokémon and not a Kanto Pokémon.
No, it's a Gen 3 Pokemon. Deoxys isn't native to any region, because it's from outer space.

I don't understand why people see the inclusion of Sinnoh forms being a retcon a problem. Just hear me out. When Gen IV games came out, we didn't have any of the Unova, Kalos, Alola and Galar pokemon. Similar to literally every remake, when we do get the DP remakes, some of these pokemon will be added to them. This by very nature is a retcon. So having some of them change forms due to Sinnoh's cold climate wouldn't really go against that. We already have pokemon that weren't present in Sinnoh the first time around. This is less due to to different dimension shenanigans and more simply due to to the fact that these pokemon and concepts didn't exist at the time and now GF will act like they did. I don't think they care as badly about retoning new forms in.

As for my opinion on it, I love concept of regional variants. It's an idea GF should have had a bit earlier. It gives us new takes on old pokemon but yet manages to keep them distinct enough. That said, I don't see new variants. I just don't think they would do it after they didn't add new variants to USUM. Ready to be pleasantly surprised though.

As for my opinion on it, I love concept of regional variants. It's an idea GF should have had a bit earlier. It gives us new takes on old pokemon but yet manages to keep them distinct enough. That said, I don't see new variants. I just don't think they would do it after they didn't add new variants to USUM. Ready to be pleasantly surprised though.

Counterpoint: They did add new ones in the SwSh Expansion Pass. Maybe they saw the complaints of no new Alola forms and started adding some in the mid gen games?

Counterpoint: They did add new ones in the SwSh Expansion Pass. Maybe they saw the complaints of no new Alola forms and started adding some in the mid gen games?
Furthermore, they added only 1 normal line due to the limited staff working on it. Perhaps more were designed for later? Can't say anything for certain since GF can be really random at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom