• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IX Wishlist

Black and White are really what accelerated the inevitability that they would have to do something like this. We went from just under 500 Pokemon to well over 600. That's not something they'd ever want to do again.
That's too bad though, the diversity/creativity of new 'mons we got in Gen 5 was great.

That's too bad though, the diversity/creativity of new 'mons we got in Gen 5 was great.

Imo, with a huge roster of new mons, you also have more misses than hits in terms of designs.

Kalos is generally praised for its Pokemon being really good design wise (Obviously, a couple of misses as well, with Carbink as example). And yes, while this is objective, the general thing is what really counts imo.

Same can be said for Alola most of the time (With Bruxish being seen as one of the misses).

Unova on the other hand, is generally praised as being a good game story wise, but is also generally looked down upon in terms of Pokemon designs. The only ones i see people constantly talk about are Krookodile and Haxorus and too a lesser extent Volcarona, Braviary, Golurk, Bisharp and Hydreigon. The rest are either not talked about that much or not at all, especially mons early on in the dex have this issue, either due to the designs or that they come so early in a dex that people just flat out forget about them existing. This is especially noticeable with the starters not being talked about that much, compared to the gens before it and the gens after it.

Last edited:
This biggest problem with unova imo was the number of Pokémon clearly designed to just replace Pokémon we were already familiar with

tbh, in the grand scheme of things, that was only a small number if you are really gonna think about it.

Imo, the only Pokemon who were clearly designed to replace Pokemon we were already familair with are:
Timburr line - Machop line
Basculin - Carvanha
Alomomola - Luvdisc
Bouffalant - Tauros
Trubbish line - Swalot and Grimer lines
Zorua line - Riolu line (As in, that both were supposed to be the flagship mon for their generation, as both got its own movies).
Audino - Chansey

But the others are clearly different enough from their supposed counterparts, that i don't see them as flat out replacements. Especially Gigalith i see as different enough to Golem design wise, too warrant an inclusion in Unova.

I also haven't mentioned the Woobat line for that exact reason. Its different enough from Zubat and Golbat. Same with Throh and Sawk.

And that is not even taking into account the typings, but only the designs.

coming in here to say I think it’s dead but I want us to get pokémon sleep for gen 9 so bad. Honestly thought it sounded like a great idea and I ditched my sleep tracking app at the time in preparation for it

Other than that, I would love contests and ball seals to come back!

Spinda evolution would never happen but it’s a definitely a wish :enzap:

My sleep schedule isn't the best but I don't think gamification apps tend to work that well for me. I usually can't take them seriously enough for them to be useful. I tried Habitica for a while but none of perks for succeeding really did anything for me.

Now if they found a way to connect Pokemon Sleep to Pokemon Scarlet/Violet and made it so you were blocked from catching any shinies that appeared if you didn't get your sleep schedule under control, then it would probably work better.

I guess I'm more of a "stick" person rather than a "carrot" person. :p

We will never have this again. It is not sustainable, and Game Freak has clearly realized it.
I mean, wasn't the point of Dexit to make it more manageable? You can introduce more new pokemon while not having to put every existing pokemon in the game's code?

If it wasn't the point, now i'm questioning why they even did it if it's still leading to less pokemon being made.

I mean, wasn't the point of Dexit to make it more manageable? You can introduce more new pokemon while not having to put every existing pokemon in the game's code?

If it wasn't the point, now i'm questioning why they even did it if it's still leading to less pokemon being made.
Their desire is still clearly to have a majority of Pokemon available on a system and in main series games. Going back to 100+ new Pokemon per region would only exacerbate the problems Dexit was designed to resolve.

I don't see the big deal, anyway. They've clearly shifted to an approach that emphasizes quality over quantity, and we don't have as much garbage Dex filler as we used to. I'm fine with only 65-90 new Pokemon per region if it means we don't get useless things like Qwilfish or Budew anymore.

Going back to 100+ new Pokemon per region would only exacerbate the problems Dexit was designed to resolve.
Again, how? If you don't need to have every pokemon in every game, then you can design more. That was one of the points of Dexit.

And even if you are designing less, you are still increasing the roster size. It's inevitable that will get too big (and already is too big), so trying to make it slow down seems kind of pointless. Too many pokemon was what caused Dexit, so the problem is already too much. There's nothing to exarcebate.

They've clearly shifted to an approach that emphasizes quality over quantity, and we don't have as much garbage Dex filler as we used to.
And what is and what isn't garbage is extremely subjective, so i fail to see how Gamefreak can even make this approach. I don't care for plenty of pokemon in the last two generations, so to me i got less quality AND quantity.

Again, how? If you don't need to have every pokemon in every game, then you can design more. That was one of the points of Dexit.
Because the more Pokemon they design, the fewer old Pokemon they can put in, and it's clearly also a priority to them that people be able to use their old favorites (and "important" Pokemon like the Eevees, Lucario, etc.). They have to find a balance somewhere, and 65-90 is what they've landed on.

And even if you are designing less, you are still increasing the roster size. It's inevitable that will get too big (and already is too big), so trying to make it slow down seems kind of pointless. Too many pokemon was what caused Dexit, so the problem is already too much. There's nothing to exarcebate.
The point of slowing down is they can drag the series out and make more money :p

Because the more Pokemon they design, the fewer old Pokemon they can put in
Why? They can make the roster as big or as small as they want. Not every roster needs to have the same exact size.

and it's clearly also a priority to them that people be able to use their old favorites (and "important" Pokemon like the Eevees, Lucario, etc.).
Which will get in regardless of roster size. The amount of pokemon that are favored by many people is actually small compared to the amount that hardly anyone cares.

The point of slowing down is they can drag the series out and make more money :p
Games make money regardless of roster size.

All this is telling me is that Dexit was pointless. There was supposed to be a tradeoff, but apparently not now.

All this is telling me is that Dexit was pointless. There was supposed to be a tradeoff, but apparently not now.
They made it very clear at the time that the intended tradeoff was in animations, textures, and other visual aspects of the game, not in the number of new Pokemon that would be made available.

They made it very clear at the time that the intended tradeoff was in animations, textures, and other visual aspects of the game, not in the number of new Pokemon that would be made available.
Which we didn't get either, at least nowhere as much as we should have got.

So, Dexit was pointless and it's only leading to less.

Which we didn't get either, at least nowhere as much as we should have got.

So, Dexit was pointless and it's only leading to less.
Well yes, I agree that Sword and Shield was a bad game to be saying that about, but we have been getting some genuinely good improvements in animations and textures with Legends Arceus.

but we have been getting some genuinely good improvements in animations and textures with Legends Arceus.
Legends Arceus is guilty of plenty of bad textures and rough animations. Not to mention awkward character models. Still below a lot of games from franchises that make much less money.

So, we lost having every pokemon in every game and having more new pokemon, and what we got is still below other, less successful franchises.

Legends Arceus is guilty of plenty of bad textures and rough animations. Still below a lot of games from franchises that make much less money.
Sure, and that's why I think the pace of Pokemon game releases should be scaled back and no longer be annual, to give them time to produce quality congruent with their profits. But as long as they're pumping these games out every year, incremental progress is the best we can hope for.

I will add that, to a lesser extent. Less new Pokemon every generation also extends the lifespan of the franchise. Eventually they have to run out of good new Pokemon ideas.
Like i said this is much less of a reason given that time is still very far off but i imagine it is also part of it. The main reason was the number getting unwieldy though.

I want this new Mon:

perry-the-platypus-hat.gif

A platypus. No wait, PERRY the platypus???

It’s also happened when it did so TPC can milk Pokémon Home for all it’s worth instead of waiting until they hit #1000 in the National Pokédex OR until after patching all Gen 8 Pokémon in SwSh instead of cutting it off directly after the 3DS.

I will add that, to a lesser extent. Less new Pokemon every generation also extends the lifespan of the franchise. Eventually they have to run out of good new Pokemon ideas.
Like i said this is much less of a reason given that time is still very far off but i imagine it is also part of it. The main reason was the number getting unwieldy though.
Which would make sense if not for the fact Gamefreak often recycles concepts. We are getting yet another cat, crocodile and duck pokemon. I think if the designs are solid even if it's yet another recycled concept, people will be fine with it.

I also don't think this franchise has a limited lifespan because of the risk of running out of good pokemon ideas. This franchise will only die the second the games and anything else related don't sell and not because they have ran out of ideas for pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom