• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation IX Wishlist

nazca-lines0bird.jpg

Behold, peasant :)

Considering the different styles between the logos for the two versions and the fact that for the first time ever we get different starting outfits based on the version, I'm crossing my fingers that we might get a few more major version differences this time around.

I would love if they continued with different boss battles based on version. SwSh giving us two different sets of gyms leaders based on the version (3 if you count Avery and Klara from IoA) was something I'd dreamed of for years. Iris and Drayden was pretty meh since they had the same teams. Gumshoos and A-Raticate were a nice step up, but also pretty meh since it was only those two. But SwSh finally gave me something I'd wanted for ages, completely different leaders with different types for multiple gyms. I only wish it had been more than 2 in the main story.

So for SV, I hope we can take this idea and go further. In a perfect world I'd like to see version differences for 6 gyms (assuming there are even gyms). I'd like to continue with SwSh and give us at least 3 different leaders (different characters, different type specialties). In addition, I think it would be cool to have 3 gym leaders who have some connection in both games, but also some differences. Maybe they focus on the same type, but the characters are different. Or maybe it is the same person, but their personalities are totally different, or they wear a completely different outfit. Either way, ideally they would have completely different teams. Example: Leader 3 in Scarlet is a bubbly, kind grass type user who has Roserade, Bayleef, and Tropius. While in Violet she is very standoffish and harsh and uses Torterra, Ludicolo, and Gogoat. (I literally picked those Pokemon at random btw). Regardless, I just would like to see more differences in boss battles. It was so fun for me to be battling Melony while my sister battled Gordie (who I didn't even know about). It changes which starter is more useful for particular gyms in each version, and I just love that.

Going further, I'd like to see other version exclusive characters, such as rivals and other major characters having different roles per version, like Zossie/Dulse and Phyco/Soliera.

Lastly, of course, I'd like for more version exclusive Pokemon. By this I don't just mean generic exclusive Pokemon, I mean Pokemon like Lycanroc who look different based on the version. Or Applin who can evolve into a different form based on an item which can only be found in one version. Things like this just make it more interesting to choose a particular version for me.

Again, all of this is me really crossing my fingers and hoping for a dream scenario. At the very least, I am really hoping they continue with different boss battles.

coming in here to say I think it’s dead but I want us to get pokémon sleep for gen 9 so bad. Honestly thought it sounded like a great idea and I ditched my sleep tracking app at the time in preparation for it

Other than that, I would love contests and ball seals to come back!

Spinda evolution would never happen but it’s a definitely a wish :enzap:

I know I just made a post yesterday and I try not to post too much, but something came to my mind after I finished that version exclusives post. I talked a lot about gyms and something that I think would be nice to see in SV (if there are gyms), is challenging gyms types that we tend to see in the late game early on.

We usually always need to wait until the 7th or 8th gym to see a dragon or ice type gym, and tbh I think we're overdue for early dragon and ice type leaders. I can get why in years past they saved dragon until the end since it used to be seen as this strong, all powerful type, but we now tend to get way more variety in Pokemon early on that we should be fine having a dragon-type leader as the first. Not only has fairy been introduced, but we've been seeing dragon and steel types available earlier and earlier. Edited to add: They could also give the starters good coverage moves to handle dragon-types since their stab is resisted., like how Pikachu and Eevee got Double Kick in Let's Go. Quaxly as a water type could probably get an ice type move, Fuecoco looks like it could have a dragon move like Dual Chop, and Sprigatito I could see able to learn a fairy move.

As for ice, they always have had many weakness so I think we could have had an early ice leader for years now. I think the trend of saving the snowy, cold areas until last is just overdone at this point. They even did it in Legends Arceus.

As such, I am hoping that if there are gyms and there are ice and dragon leaders, that they will be challenged very early. Likewise, I'd like to see the typical early types challenged later. I think Gordie is the first rock gym leader we've had that wasn't challenged 1st or 2nd and that was nice to see. I'd like to see more late rock and bug leaders.

Last edited:
i half agree insofar as im not sure why they always save ice til late game. its not like its a particularly great type. dragon i understand, although as youve said theyre less rare and less powerful lately, but ice has never been super strong

I want the legendaries to actually be seen early, but not named until way later in the game. I loved that part about Sword and Shield's plot, giving the player a sense of curiosity and a mental question of "What was that Pokemon?" Too bad the same games gave it away long before the true encounter with them. I want them to appear, but no one, not even those who wrote the history to ever mention the name, but instead give clues to what they are called through the plot, thus raising the player's curiosity even more. Then finally reveal the name in the climax, thus giving the player that much needed shock of realization (something that sadly was lacking in some of the recent Pokemon games).

I wish for 100+ new Pokémon. The last thing I want in a new region is to find regional birds and bugs from other regions on route 1 and 2, I think that takes the identity away from the new region and the region those Pokemon are from. I don't think every new game should have like 200 new Pokemon or whatever but, anywhere between 100 and 120 is a good number. Or at least 100 completely new Pokemon, and THEN new evolutions and legendaries. Also, no, regional variants don't count as new Pokemon because they're just alternate forms.

I wish for 100+ new Pokémon. The last thing I want in a new region is to find regional birds and bugs from other regions on route 1 and 2, I think that takes the identity away from the new region and the region those Pokemon are from. I don't think every new game should have like 200 new Pokemon or whatever but, anywhere between 100 and 120 is a good number.
We will never have this again. It is not sustainable, and Game Freak has clearly realized it.

Ehhh......I don't know if I totally agree with that. I think they could do it again, if only one more time.
The more Pokemon they introduce, the more Pokemon exist, and the more unwieldly and unmanageable the roster becomes. We're going to bump up against 1000 this gen, if not exceed it. It is in Game Freak's best interest to limit the amount of Pokemon introduced per generation, and they seem to have settled on 65-90 as the range they're comfortable with.

The more Pokemon they introduce, the more Pokemon exist, and the more unwieldly and unmanageable the roster becomes. We're going to bump up against 1000 this gen, if not exceed it. It is in Game Freak's best interest to limit the amount of Pokemon introduced per generation, and they seem to have settled on 65-90 as the range they're comfortable with.
Black and White were really cool for doing it though. If only they could do something like that again.

Black and White were really cool for doing it though. If only they could do something like that again.
Black and White are really what accelerated the inevitability that they would have to do something like this. We went from just under 500 Pokemon to well over 600. That's not something they'd ever want to do again.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom