• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the key here is story relevancy. Just like it's already been mentioned, there's evidence that Zygarde is going to get the same treatment as Kyurem. It's suggested that Thousand Waves is meant for battling Xerneas, while Thousand Arrows is meant for battling Yveltal. Sure, you probably can have both Zygarde forms in one game, but how would the story play out? As far as we know, it would be difficult to have a Rayquaza VS Groudon & Kyogre or a Giratina VS Palkia & Dialga situation(ok, Giratina actually went for Cyrus, but you get the point) for the reason that Zygarde can't learn both Waves and Arrows all at once. You have to do either one or the other, it's either Waves for Xerneas or Arrows for Yveltal. You can't have both at the same time, folks. It would be especially difficult if he gets the Mega-Rayquaza treatment, as in learning a move to gain a form. And with that said, I think that is why people are suggesting paired sequels/prequels/3rd versions instead of a singular 3rd version.

(both Sky Shaymin and Origin Giratina were in Platinum)

You're gonna have to explain this because I'm not understanding what you're going for here.

Those two have zero relation in the game (and outside of that one movie) unlike Zygarde's two forms will (see: Kyurem for a comparison). Plus Shaymin is an event Pokemon while Giratina isn't.

The games dictate to the anime, not the other way around.

I think he's referring to how certain forms were exclusive to a certain game onwards, in addition to the 2 listed, we also had Rotom, Black/White Kyurem and the buttload of megas in OR/AS, one of those WAS plot-relevant (Rayquayza)

Maybe it's that. I thought the point was that Shaymin Sky and Giratina Origin were both in the same game and not two separate versions like people are speculating Z to be because of Zygarde's two forms (moves). Because that comparison doesn't work for the reasons I said in my reply to them.

The point was that Platinum didn't crash or have to be split into two versions despite having two new Formes in them. (Actually, 7 if you count Rotom!) There's no programming limitations at all. The person I was responding to asked if there were hardware limitations that would force the new content into paired versions rather than a single version. Platinum brought all three cover legendaries into the same plot, introduced more than 2 new moves, introduced more than 2 new formes. Everything that could be introduced in Kalos3 and Kalos 4 could be simply introduced into Kalos2.5, that's all I meant.

I agree with everyone's thought process that the two moves are for two formes. To suggest otherwise seems... kind of strange.

What I don't agree with at all is that because Kyurem got two games with two forms and two moves in the form of two sequels set two years in the future, Zygarde's automatically getting the same thing. We've already seen how unpredictable Game Freak has become since B2/W2, so to think they're going to do the EXACT SAME THING just 3-4 short years later seems ridiculous.

If people want to continue believing we're getting paired versions, that's completely fine. That's your prerogative. But don't assume it to be a 100% certainty. I definitely don't think we're getting paired versions. No generation has ever produced more than five main series games (Kanto (Japan) - 4, Johto - 3, Hoenn - 5, Sinnoh - 5, Unova 4, Kalos - 4 so far) so that's my main reasoning.

If people want to continue believing we're getting paired versions, that's completely fine. That's your prerogative. But don't assume it to be a 100% certainty. I definitely don't think we're getting paired versions. No generation has ever produced more than five main series games (Kanto (Japan) - 4, Johto - 3, Hoenn - 5, Sinnoh - 5, Unova 4, Kalos - 4 so far) so that's my main reasoning.

Could you also explain how they could work out the story, then? The only thing I can think of is if they have you fight Xerneas with Waves in the main plot and then Yveltal with Arrows in the post-game, or the other way around. But even if they did that, they would still have to make dual-versions anyways for the purpose(other than moar money) of giving players the choice to play Zygarde VS Yveltal/post-game Xerneas in one version or Zygarde VS Xerneas/post-game Yveltal of the other version. This is all assuming that one move is meant for its respective Legendary, though.

I've seen your reasoning from a gameplay-mechanics standpoint, but storyline-wise I don't quite understand why you're so opposed to dual versions. I personally don't care what we get, I'd like to see what they can pull of they decide to go back to the generic 3rd version(although a singular game acting as a sequel I think would be more interesting).

Also, saying Game Freak is unpredictable(which they are now it seems) can also contradict what you claim about Generations having a set rule of releasing no more than 5 games. If GF is indeed unpredictable, they could very well release 6 games for Gen 6 this time around. Just don't add another "6" in that, could be a bad thing if you know what I mean. ;)

Last edited:
(both Sky Shaymin and Origin Giratina were in Platinum)

You're gonna have to explain this because I'm not understanding what you're going for here.

Those two have zero relation in the game (and outside of that one movie) unlike Zygarde's two forms will (see: Kyurem for a comparison). Plus Shaymin is an event Pokemon while Giratina isn't.

The games dictate to the anime, not the other way around.

I think he's referring to how certain forms were exclusive to a certain game onwards, in addition to the 2 listed, we also had Rotom, Black/White Kyurem and the buttload of megas in OR/AS, one of those WAS plot-relevant (Rayquayza)

Maybe it's that. I thought the point was that Shaymin Sky and Giratina Origin were both in the same game and not two separate versions like people are speculating Z to be because of Zygarde's two forms (moves). Because that comparison doesn't work for the reasons I said in my reply to them.

The point was that Platinum didn't crash or have to be split into two versions despite having two new Formes in them. (Actually, 7 if you count Rotom!) There's no programming limitations at all. The person I was responding to asked if there were hardware limitations that would force the new content into paired versions rather than a single version. Platinum brought all three cover legendaries into the same plot, introduced more than 2 new moves, introduced more than 2 new formes. Everything that could be introduced in Kalos3 and Kalos 4 could be simply introduced into Kalos2.5, that's all I meant.

I agree with everyone's thought process that the two moves are for two formes. To suggest otherwise seems... kind of strange.

What I don't agree with at all is that because Kyurem got two games with two forms and two moves in the form of two sequels set two years in the future, Zygarde's automatically getting the same thing. We've already seen how unpredictable Game Freak has become since B2/W2, so to think they're going to do the EXACT SAME THING just 3-4 short years later seems ridiculous.

The ability to put multiple forms in a single games code is not the problem....I think the main problem, like it was mentioned above by @AgentRosa, is that it would b weird for Zygarde to suddenly have 2 forms to take on Xerneas and Yveltal in a single games story. If they were gonna put a single game out y not put out a single new form that takes on both of the other 2 at once along with a single attack? Story-wise I think it would just b odd to have one form for one single battle and then have to make Zygarde change into a different form for another single battle. If they do 2 separate games then the forms have more meaning bc they would b the climax of the story where Zygarde makes it's miraculous change. In a single game with 2 form changes then I feel it would just b weird. Giratina isn't really like zygarde bc it only has 2 forms straight up. It has its base form and its origin form. Zygarde on the other hand would not only have its base form, but then 2 new ones to go with the 2 separate attacks. Comparing them isn't really a viable option. People are comparing it to BW2 bc it seems to fit better logic-wise.

The Pokemon Twitter feed posted a survey for people to take. Was a little disappointed there wasn't a write-in box to add suggestions, etc.

I could actually see game freak giving zygarde two different forms because of thousand waves/arrows in a single game. It just seems like something Game freak would do especially since they already kind of did that with Black and white kyurem with freeze shock and ice burn in BW2.

Maybe Gen 6 would be the first gen to have 6 main series games. People have pointed out to why Zygarde is going to feature in two games instead of one and with a film with Zygarde said to be on it's way, I find it difficult to think of how they have both forms/megas/primals of Zygarde in one game. However, Game Freak have surprised us before like with Black 2 and White 2. Worst case scenario: They release normal Zygarde as an event with the two hidden moves for XY and ORAS with no new forms/megas/primals but that is really unlikely. Volcanion still needs to be officially released and debut in anime (Show or movie) and Zygarde seems to be set up the way Kyurem was set up. I hope for the next game(s) and see how it would compare with the previous titles.

I have a silly theory about Zygarde. It's one to broaden the horizons about speculating it, although in many ways also can remove will least likely happen as well...

Basically, Zygarde: a Pokemon whose name comes from the words "Guardian" or "Garde", and "Zygote". Now, a zygote is a preborn stage of an organism, one about to become a new lifeform. At this stage, though, the organism is hard to distinguish from the fully born organism - that is, whatever Zygarde's fully born form is, it may look completely different from its original form right now.

Also, since a zygote is at this preborn stage, it could also be something one could manipulate quite easily... Perhaps so easliy that there could be lots of forms Zygarde could encompass - not just the 1 or 2 two extra forms we are speculating about right now.

Now, remember: ORAS and XY were backwards incompatable in terms of many Megas, Primal Forms, and certain attacks. That is, yes, there are two hidden attacks of Zygarde in X and Y, but gamefreak could easily make such code obsolete as well, as they could make several alterations of Zygarde if they wanted to in the new games.

From this, I would never determine if the games were sequels or a single spinoff because of the two moves shown. Gamefreak can always make their creation(s) backwards incompatable in some way, and are not locked to them.

I actually agree with BlackButterfree, that they don't need to split two moves between two games.

It was much more significant to Kyurem because of the story. Playing Black or White determined which Dragon chose with N as its partner, and which Kyurem Ghetsis manipulated as a result. Because Kyurem is actually a part of them, the husk of their former union, it was fully dependent on having one or the other present to transform. Zygarde is part of the trio, but more independant. More like Rayquaza, as the one to bring "Order". At least as far as we're aware...If they wanted to, they could provide both moves in one game. Maybe even one Mega with access to both.

At the same time...One way to repeat the Kyurem situation is the Ultimate Weapon. If Mega Stones are the result of radiation powered by Xerneas or Yveltal, then it makes sense as why we have a Charizardite X in one universe, and Charizardite Y in another...Zygarde Mega Evolutions could be created in the same way, either being the result of Lysandre's actions in one game or the other. I think this would actually be the coolest way of doing it for continuity's sake. (But IDK how much they care about that after ORAS...)

That slight difference in story may also determine whether or not Lysandre is even around...

Ultimate Weapon + Xerneas: "Let us live forever... That's right! I shall grant you eternal life! I'll give you the pain of endlessly waiting for a beautiful world to finally be built!" = AZ 2.0
Ultimate Weapon + Yveltal: "The ultimate weapon is a flower that bloomed to no avail... Just like me... But this ends here! I will show what its remaining power can do!" = Burried

But its speculative for now.

Last edited:
^I wonder what would happen if he had used Zygarde instead? I know, that screams generic 3rd version, but it's an interesting question nonetheless. I would honestly be a little pissed if they went that route though, because I would like something done differently.

My idea is that after Lysandre begins to destroy stuff with the Ultimate Weapon, Zygarde pulls a Big Damn Heroes moment and uses Xerneas's/Yveltal's auras as energy to fuel its own Mega Evolution. Zygarde then stops Team Flare by destroying their HQ and the Ultimate Weapon, which awakens Xerneas/Yveltal and causes them to flee, only for it to trap them with Thousand Waves/Arrows.

Could you also explain how they could work out the story, then? The only thing I can think of is if they have you fight Xerneas with Waves in the main plot and then Yveltal with Arrows in the post-game, or the other way around. But even if they did that, they would still have to make dual-versions anyways for the purpose(other than moar money) of giving players the choice to play Zygarde VS Yveltal/post-game Xerneas in one version or Zygarde VS Xerneas/post-game Yveltal of the other version. This is all assuming that one move is meant for its respective Legendary, though.

I've seen your reasoning from a gameplay-mechanics standpoint, but storyline-wise I don't quite understand why you're so opposed to dual versions. I personally don't care what we get, I'd like to see what they can pull of they decide to go back to the generic 3rd version(although a singular game acting as a sequel I think would be more interesting).

Also, saying Game Freak is unpredictable(which they are now it seems) can also contradict what you claim about Generations having a set rule of releasing no more than 5 games. If GF is indeed unpredictable, they could very well release 6 games for Gen 6 this time around. Just don't add another "6" in that, could be a bad thing if you know what I mean. ;)

The ability to put multiple forms in a single games code is not the problem....I think the main problem, like it was mentioned above by @AgentRosa, is that it would b weird for Zygarde to suddenly have 2 forms to take on Xerneas and Yveltal in a single games story. If they were gonna put a single game out y not put out a single new form that takes on both of the other 2 at once along with a single attack? Story-wise I think it would just b odd to have one form for one single battle and then have to make Zygarde change into a different form for another single battle. If they do 2 separate games then the forms have more meaning bc they would b the climax of the story where Zygarde makes it's miraculous change. In a single game with 2 form changes then I feel it would just b weird. Giratina isn't really like zygarde bc it only has 2 forms straight up. It has its base form and its origin form. Zygarde on the other hand would not only have its base form, but then 2 new ones to go with the 2 separate attacks. Comparing them isn't really a viable option. People are comparing it to BW2 bc it seems to fit better logic-wise.

Well, I'm not going to try to come up with a potential plot on the spot because it's midnight and I'm lazy. But they could go with Xerneas and Yveltal constantly fighting all over the region. Zygarde would come out to quell the fighting every single time by chasing away Xeneas or Yveltal (alternating between the two at each battle) with one of its two forms. These would be beautiful cut-scenes, showcasing both of the forms multiple times much like the tree-to-Xerneas/cocoon-to-Yveltal cut-scene.

And then near the end of the plot, you would fight both Xerneas and Yveltal (both under Team Flare's control), each separately. There you would use both Zygarde forms to cancel out each Pokémon and save Kalos.

I mean that was haphazardly thrown together, but you get the idea. Something could be done to convincingly shove everything together in one version.

And does anyone know for a fact that Zygarde can't learn both moves at once? I haven't heard or seen anything about that on the Internet except the person who quoted me previously.

I think an interesting direction for Z to take that isn't the standard redux or another set of sequels, would be a take on XY's story in a completely different alternate universe, since Game Freak seems to be all about that kind of thing now. The most obvious change would be an alternate reality where the Ultimate Weapon was never fired, as from ORAS we know such a universe exists already. This alone opens up a whole bunch of different possibilities for differences in the story and world while retaining enough to make use of the same setting.

And unlike the standard redux, this actually allows for enough differences in content to justify splitting the game into two again, assuming the existence of two Zygarde forms is any indication of that happening.

I know its probably nothing, but apparently the Zygarde preview has it looming over a castle. Now, I know that the previews always are vague and meaningless, but witht the lack of news and the lullz I wonder if this time they are tring to actually build up something. So I was think, what if the plot involves tampering with the events of the wqr by earping Zygarde to the past. Or hell, what if it actually does tie Kalos and Unova together?

I know its probably nothing, but apparently the Zygarde preview has it looming over a castle. Now, I know that the previews always are vague and meaningless, but witht the lack of news and the lullz I wonder if this time they are tring to actually build up something. So I was think, what if the plot involves tampering with the events of the wqr by earping Zygarde to the past. Or hell, what if it actually does tie Kalos and Unova together?

It could be Shabboneau Castle or Parfum Palace, both existing in the present day. Or it could simply be an anime-exclusive kingdom like Rota.

It could be Shabboneau Castle or Parfum Palace, both existing in the present day. Or it could simply be an anime-exclusive kingdom like Rota.

I smell an AZ appearance coming on... smells like homeless man.

The most obvious change would be an alternate reality where the Ultimate Weapon was never fired, as from ORAS we know such a universe exists already.

But wouldn't that mean mega evolution doesn't exist?

Yes, that would mean Mega Evolution would not exist. Yet.

And there you already have the possibility for events occurring within the story to allow it to happen for the first time. The player character could even be the one who discovers it. To me that's far more interesting than the whole "go investigate this thing that's been happening already for hundreds of years that I'm too useless to know anything about" quest Sycamore gives you that gives your journey purpose in the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom