• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes me worried that Game Freak is just going to abandon Gen. VI due to it not being as popular. I'd hate for Game Freak to leave certain plot threads unresolved just because it would be predictable.
I doubt it. If anything that would drive them to want to finish it stronger (see: Gen V).

I think they may throw us a curve ball and realease a Z and Delta emerald The reason i say thins is because it would allow them to expand on mega even more and fill in plot holes and include those 2 mon without diluting thre market to much
There aren't nearly enough problems with ORAS, Hoenn, and Rayquaza to merit a remake of a remake of a past generation.

Well, on another thread, The Outrage pointed something out:

This makes me worried that Game Freak is just going to abandon Gen. VI due to it not being as popular. I'd hate for Game Freak to leave certain plot threads unresolved just because it would be predictable.

Gen. 6 unpopular? It's way more popular than Gen. 5 was and that generation still got tied up neatly with a bow on top. They wouldn't abandon Gen. 6 just yet when they can still milk Mega Evolution dry.

Based on what? In terms of sales, we don't have BW's numbers for its first year to compare to XY's (at least, as far as I can find), and it sold only a couple million off from DP, so it did rather well. If we consider B2W2, that outsold Emerald, Crystal and Platinum, so sale-wise, it was pretty successful. If you're talking reception, that's harder to pinpoint as there isn't a collective survey to accurately say which is more well liked between the two in the general audience, and if we're talking just the internet, both generations (in fact, every generation) gets their share of hate, so that's not the best indicator either.

Regardless, even if Gamefreak has paid attention to the negative reception and took it as a bad sign, I doubt that they'd go as far as to skip over wrapping up Gen 6. At best, they'd just push out their last game for it and then quickly jump to the next.

Well, on another thread, The Outrage pointed something out:

Gen. 6 unpopular? It's way more popular than Gen. 5 was and that generation still got tied up neatly with a bow on top. They wouldn't abandon Gen. 6 just yet when they can still milk Mega Evolution dry.

Based on what? In terms of sales, we don't have BW's numbers for its first year to compare to XY's (at least, as far as I can find), and it sold only a couple million off from DP, so it did rather well. If we consider B2W2, that outsold Emerald, Crystal and Platinum, so sale-wise, it was pretty successful. If you're talking reception, that's harder to pinpoint as there isn't a collective survey to accurately say which is more well liked between the two in the general audience, and if we're talking just the internet, both generations (in fact, every generation) gets their share of hate, so that's not the best indicator either.

Regardless, even if Gamefreak has paid attention to the negative reception and took it as a bad sign, I doubt that they'd go as far as to skip over wrapping up Gen 6. At best, they'd just push out their last game for it and then quickly jump to the next.
Sales are no indication for popularity when it comes to Pokemon, especially with Gen 4/5. They were on a handheld that has over 100 million units sold WW, anything Pokemon was bound to sell like crazy, where as the 3DS is sitting somewhere at the 40 million mark.

Anyway, regardless of popularity, Gamefreak is gonna gamefreak. Its probably just best to sit and wait it out till February/March, which is likely the earliest we'll hear of anything from em.

I doubt it. If anything that would drive them to want to finish it stronger (see: Gen V).

I think they may throw us a curve ball and realease a Z and Delta emerald The reason i say thins is because it would allow them to expand on mega even more and fill in plot holes and include those 2 mon without diluting thre market to much
There aren't nearly enough problems with ORAS, Hoenn, and Rayquaza to merit a remake of a remake of a past generation.

Z would be the only remake kinda like platinum or crystal if you will DE would have been a srqual like W2B2kinda and take place after the events of ORAS

What do you mean? Gen 5 sold around 8 million copies so far while XY sold 13.

Game Sales (not counting OR/AS for obvious reasons)
Nintendo 3DS
X/Y: 13,29 million copies

Nintendo DS
Diamond and Pearl: 17,63 million copies
Black and White: 15,58 million copies
Heartgold and SoulSilver: 12,72 million copies
Black 2 and White 2: 7,87 million copies
Platinum 7,06 million copies.

Note that while 150 million DS were sold, there's only 45-50 million 3DS sold.

About OR/AS itself, the game is very likely to have higher sales than Black 2 and White 2 in a few months. With one thing, while the exception could be Japan (Youkai Watch hype), Europe is expected to have A LOT more OR/AS sales than B2/W2 sales (and expected to end the Christmas campaign with already higher sales than B/W2)

Sounds good to me, especially if they use DLC to flesh out some elements.
I highly doubt they'll do a DLC, especially when they refused to create a patch for X/Y to make the hoenn mega stones available for those games.

I highly doubt they'll do a DLC, especially when they refused to create a patch for X/Y to make the hoenn mega stones available for those games.

That's because they wanted people to buy ORAS even if it's just for the mega stones. If they released the patch then it's obvious anyone who doesn't care about Hoenn wouldn't have bought ORAS.

DLC is a different matter.

I posted this in another thread, but it's also relevant to this one. There is a quote from an ORAS strategy guide where Masuda addresses quality versus pacing. Here's a translation from the German version:

Luckily, we at Game Freak are blessed with great workers. Because of this I don't have to worry when I'm concentrating on new games like Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, as sequels are handled by other project managers. In case of Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 it was Takao Unno, and this time Mr. Ohmori took the wheel. When I give a game in the hands of another project manager, I need to be convinced that their vision is the right one for the game. The responsibillity will be entirely on him, but at the same time he receives full creative freedom. Naturally we hope that all team members will support this project manager and give their best, thus at the end a game of high quality can be released.

Releasing multiple games over a short time period is always a race against time. The more time you invest, the better the game will be. However, there are multiple factors that prevent us from doing this. If we were to always take three years to develop a game, we wouldn't be able to keep up with with the fast moving nature of the modern world. When we think about when to release a game, we ask ourselves when the demand for it from our audience will be the highest. But if we have one year of development time, it'll become easier to look at the current framework and to decide what needs to be improved, and what can stay in its current condition. Thus, we have to do everything to achieve the best possible result in one year.
I find it a bit ridiculous that Masuda seems to think that development either has to take one year or three years, as if nothing in between were a possibility. There have been gaps between 1.5 and 2 years before, and it has never been a problem. There has never been a 3-year gap, so why refer to it as the opposite extreme? If he's implying that handheld games should be more like smartphone games, then he's forgetting the small matter of how expensive the former are relative to the latter.

I don't think this means that there won't be a break in the upcoming year, but Generation VII may be released in early 2016 and I fear that it will not meet expectations given Masuda's attitude.

Last edited:
I think dlc for xy will have em, or elsewise. The intriguing stone and the lati megas are either cut content, or future proofing for the dlc.

I still think a DLC for a main pokemon game is incredibly unlikely. Everything Gamefreak has ever said regarding DLC supports this. I happen to think it's possible the next game will be released rather quickly. If not by next Christmas, then quite soon after that. It still seems likely to me that it is an XY tie-in, and as such a lot of the most basic development has already been done, making a speedy release more possible.

I still think a DLC for a main pokemon game is incredibly unlikely. Everything Gamefreak has ever said regarding DLC supports this. I happen to think it's possible the next game will be released rather quickly. If not by next Christmas, then quite soon after that. It still seems likely to me that it is an XY tie-in, and as such a lot of the most basic development has already been done, making a speedy release more possible.
Its been said before, they're against paid-dlc for Pokemon, or something not worthwhile. They shouldn't be against it, but be all for 3rd versions or what not, as it would be highly hypocritical, and with the public perception of DLC, no one would want to buy yet another Kalos game.

Its been said before, they're against paid-dlc for Pokemon, or something not worthwhile. They shouldn't be against it, but be all for 3rd versions or what not, as it would be highly hypocritical, and with the public perception of DLC, no one would want to buy yet another Kalos game.

Except maybe Japan. Think about it, GF has to make the games for their home demographics first then move on to international exports, even with the simultaneous release thing, they are still influence by trends in the industry in Japan (Who seems to have an huge aversion to DLC and would apparently rather buy an updated game with the extra content). If third games are popular, they will do it.

On top of that Generation V shows that they can still make the region feel at least a little fresh and may set a trend towords paired sequels as opposed to a thid version that unifies the plot.

Speaking of a unified plot, the Delta episode confirms a multiverse, meaning that all the games are canon, so a third game that shows the "trueTM" events are rendered unnecessary, and make sequels all the more likely.

Morningstar said:
(Who seems to have an huge aversion to DLC and would apparently rather buy an updated game with the extra content).
A huge aversion? Seriously?

The key word is "seems". I'm not gonna deny that companies like Nintendo, Square Enix, Compile Heart, Nippon Ichi, etc, have DLC for their games. But at the same time you have to wonder why Updated Rereleases are even considered outside of porting. (And before you play the "It's for a new generation card", Kingdom hearts has its Final Mix versions released at least a year after the original games, Persona 3: FES was likewise out while the original game was still a little fresh and of course we have Yellow (and Blue in japan), Crystal, Emerald and Platinum, and there there is the more recent case of Brave Default, which despite being for the 3ds, STILL had one in the form of For The Sequel, the latter being the one that was localized)

Last edited:
The key word is "seems". I'm not gonna deny that companies like Nintendo, Square Enix, Compile Heart, Nippon Ichi, etc, have DLC for their games. But at the same time you have to wonder why Updated Rereleases are even considered outside of porting. (And before you play the "It's for a new generation card", Kingdom hearts has its Final Mix versions released at least a year after the original games, Persona 3: FES was likewise out while the original game was still a little fresh and of course we have Yellow (and Blue in japan), Crystal, Emerald and Platinum,
Games released before the DLC era have little to no bearing on this discussion, so please try again. You'll note that the only 3DS Kingdom Hearts game doesn't have a Final Mix version.

and there there is the more recent case of Brave Default, which despite being for the 3ds, STILL had one in the form of For The Sequel, the latter being the one that was localized)
Nevermind the fact that said version was available as an expansion download for the original version, or that the series has DLC in general.

and there there is the more recent case of Bravely Default, which despite being for the 3ds, STILL had one in the form of For The Sequel, the latter being the one that was localized)
Nevermind the fact that said version was available as an expansion download for the original version, or that the series has DLC in general.

What about BlazBlue: Continuum shift then? There were 3 different home releases for that game alone, some of which included content that was DLC...

Okay I retract the point that Japan hates DLC (I can't even find the source for that claim). But I still stand firm on the fact that there were still games with rereleases that have most of all the DLC included or had extra content.

What about BlazBlue: Continuum shift then? There were 3 different home releases for that game alone, some of which included content that was DLC...
The first revision was a free downloadable update. The second revision was primarily a port for the then newly released PlayStation Vita, with all the DLC included. Arcade games thrive on ports.

But I still stand firm on the fact that there were still games with rereleases that have most of all the DLC included or had extra content.
Rereleasing a game with DLC included is a good way to appeal to new players. But the bigger question is how to appeal to people who already have the original game.

The first revision was a free downloadable update. The second revision was primarily a port for the then newly released PlayStation Vita, with all the DLC included. Arcade games thrive on ports.

Let me check.

Okay EXTEND (which i assume was what you meant with the ports) was was also relased on the PS3 and X360 (and later Steam)

But I still stand firm on the fact that there were still games with rereleases that have most of all the DLC included or had extra content.
Rereleasing a game with DLC included is a good way to appeal to new players. But the bigger question is how to appeal to people who already have the original game.

Ah yes, the eternal question. That I do not know. Though the remakes have been doing well on that front, the 3rd version/sequels have to compete with the original games. Though the sequels have an advantage becuase they had a new plot. I image that XY will go a imilar route of new games were to be made. New plot, new features, incooperation of something similar to the DexNav and an expansion to the Battle Maison to Kalos' own Battle Frontier (Remember that The Battle Frontier didn;t appear until Emerald and that the Gen 1 remakes were released before that.)

That reminds me, In Gen 3 would completing the National Dex be possible using the Original Ruby and Sapphire in-combination with FireRed and LeafGreen, Gen 4+ mons excluded for obvious reasons?

No, it's really a question of how to make more money after development and time costs are taken into account, and still keep up the standards the company has for itself. I don't know GF's fiscal information, so I can't really make a guess as to whether it's more cost affective for them to go ahead with another game or make a DLC, but I do know a game costs at least four times more than any reasonably priced DLC, and I also know they have stated in the past that they are against most forms of DLC. I mean, its not impossible that one could be released, you guys can dream of a DLC all you want, I'm just saying I don't believe it's happening, and anyone who seems to think it's inevitable is fooling themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom