• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd enjoy an update as well to tie up loose ends, especially Mewtwo and Zygarde backstory (Did Team Flare create another Mewtwo, or is this the same Mewtwo that Red caught and is said to have released?)

(Did Team Flare create another Mewtwo, or is this the same Mewtwo that Red caught and is said to have released?)
I don't see why Team Flare wouldn't have mentioned Mewtwo (at least in their documents) had they created a second one. In contrast, no one in Kalos should know about Mewtwo's history in Kanto, so the lack of references is understandable.

I'd rather see Mewtwo get a role in Kanto sequels, which I think should be released during the next generation. I don't think that there is anything interesting about Mewtwo's presence in Kalos after how it turned out in XY. I also hope that it gets a third Mega Evolution eventually, seeing as the XY ones were lackluster as far as I'm concerned. Their designs and abilities leave a lot to be desired, and they added nothing to Mewtwo's backstory.

I'd enjoy an update as well to tie up loose ends, especially Mewtwo and Zygarde backstory (Did Team Flare create another Mewtwo, or is this the same Mewtwo that Red caught and is said to have released?)

I would also like to know how in the hell Mewtwo got not one but two Mega Evolutions. Its clearly a Pokémon that didn't exist back in the time Mega Stones were created.

Also if its a clone of Mew, then why can't Mew use both of those Mega Stones too?

I would also like to know how in the hell Mewtwo got not one but two Mega Evolutions. Its clearly a Pokémon that didn't exist back in the time Mega Stones were created.

Also if its a clone of Mew, then why can't Mew use both of those Mega Stones too?
Scientists found Mew mega stone, artificially modified them for Mewtwo?
(Did Team Flare create another Mewtwo, or is this the same Mewtwo that Red caught and is said to have released?)
I don't see why Team Flare wouldn't have mentioned Mewtwo (at least in their documents) had they created a second one. In contrast, no one in Kalos should know about Mewtwo's history in Kanto, so the lack of references is understandable.

I'd rather see Mewtwo get a role in Kanto sequels, which I think should be released during the next generation. I don't think that there is anything interesting about Mewtwo's presence in Kalos after how it turned out in XY. I also hope that it gets a third Mega Evolution eventually, seeing as the XY ones were lackluster as far as I'm concerned. Their designs and abilities leave a lot to be desired, and they added nothing to Mewtwo's backstory.
Yes, please, PLEASE! If they wanted too they could even retcon Mewtwo's Y mega into an 'Awakened' forme, or a Primal since its based off Mew. I'd love Mewtwo to be a nessecary capture at some point before the equivalent of Silph/Poke Ball Company, or before you head to their secret base.

Scientists found Mew mega stone, artificially modified them for Mewtwo?

If that's the case shouldn't they technically work on Mew as well?

I really wish they would've explained this in X&Y, but I guess not knowing anything kind of adds to the mystery.

If that's the case shouldn't they technically work on Mew as well?
Not if they were modified. But the Mewtwonite stones might have been artificially created just from two regular evolutionary stones and Mewtwo's DNA code.

Oh I see.

If they were artificially created then that would most likely beg the question of who did it? If that were the case then the person(s) would've needed to know about Mewtwo's existence, that person(s) most likely being the same scientist who was involved with the creation or that knew of the creation of Mewtwo is what I can currently think of.

Something I found weird when encountering Mewtwo in the Unknown Dungeon is that it had its back turned looking downwards as if it was staring at the Mewtwonite X/Y. Maybe it came there looking for it? Though that would probably imply that the stones origins lie with the Kalos region. I see him initiating the battle with the player as a way of maybe defending/guarding the stone so that the player didn't take it, because when the battle is over and you've caught it, the stone is shining on the ground. I'm probably just looking too far into this though so I'll stop there.

I don't think that all Legendary Pokémon being obtainable means the end of Generation VI. The article doesn't say that all breedable Pokémon will be obtainable in Generation VI and there could still be unrelated hidden abilities save for Z. Also I think they are mainly doing this for next year's Play! Pokémon rules which could possibly be the National Pokédex (minus events, mascots and Mewtwo) with only Kalos/Hoenn native Pokémon because all legendary Pokémon will then be able to be Kalos/Hoenn native Pokémon. Also if they will save Zygarde Mega Evolution for later by an update of X and Y how can they be sure that everyone will own X and Y? I think not every store would sell X and Y at that point because ORAS would be more popular than X and Y after ORAS release.

Last edited:
Everyone was so convinced up until about a few weeks ago that we'd be getting a Z or an XY2 for sure. Then we find out about box-cover legendaries being easily captured in ORAS and suddenly half of this community is all aboard the Gen VII hype train. Guys, guys: slow down. ^_^; I don't think we're leaving Kalos just yet. And here are just some of the reasons why.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The map: When the very first trailer for XY came out two years ago this January, the leading theory for the new region's real-life inspiration was France. That Eiffel Tower! :) From that moment on up until the games' release in mid-October 2013, fans speculated about visiting southern coastal France, Corsica, even French Algiers. It's fairly conspicuous that XY gave us nearly the whole of France ... but didn't deliver any of the Mediterranean portions. The farthest south we got to go was Kiloude City; and while Kiloude seems the most tropical of any of Kalos's cities (what with the lighting, the architecture, and the palm trees), Bulbapedia is keen to match Kiloude up with Lyon, a city so far north that we not only then have the entire southern coastline as yet unexplored but, even crazier, we have yet to see Poké-Marseille. Marseille, guys. Only second to Paris in fame, Marseille is also the second most populated city in all of France. With a rich history that goes back literally thousands of years, Marseille is the kind of city that screams to be included in a Pokémon adaptation of France. Unova omitted a ton of US cities, sure ... but Unova also mostly focused around the American northeast (specifically the vicinity of NYC), the notable exceptions being the desert that appeared in both games and Lentimas Town that appeared in BW2 only, both of which call to mind the American southwest. There is still plenty of time (and plenty of room!) for Game Freak to revisit the North American continent and to give us regions that cover the American MidWest (Chicago), Pacific (Los Angeles), and more. But France? Given that Kalos is already such a huge grab at France's territory, it's unlikely we'll ever get a second region dedicated to the country. And that means we have to say hi to Marseille before it's too late.

If you're not persuaded by Marseille, though, then maybe Corsica will change your mind. From the moment the first fans were speculating about the new region being based on France, many speculated that Corsica would be home to either the region's Battle Frontier or else its league headquarters. Well, we already know where the League Headquarters are. And it's not Corsica. But what about the Battle Frontier? Even more conspicuous than the lack of southern coastal France is the absence of a Battle Frontier proper in XY. We did get the Battle Maison, yes, but the Maison is little more than a dressed-up Battle Tower. Where is the Dome? Where is the Factory? Where is the Pyramid? It made perfect sense that the programmers would want to place a Battle Frontier on Corsica given they did the same exact thing in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum by placing the Battle Frontier (there called the Battle Zone) on the large island to the northeast, based on the southern tip of real-life Sakhalin. But of course Corsica wasn't included in XY. Or at least not yet. ;o There's plenty of opportunity to visit it in a Z or an XY2, but if we move straight ahead to Gen VII, then Corsica may very well never get a chance to show up in the games proper.

The console: The release of Black and White marked the first time since 1999 (in Japan; 2000 in North America; and 2001 in Europe) that we had had two brand-new generations released on the same console. Gens 1 and 2 shared the Game Boy, Gen 3 had the GBA all to itself, Gen 4 seemed to have the DS all to itself ... and then Gen 5 showed up and demanded to share with Gen 4. Many fans were disappointed that Game Freak had not waited (or had not been allowed by Nintendo to wait) for the soon-to-release 3DS. "Why didn't they make a new region for a new console? :-(" No matter how hard Game Freak tried to sell us on the graphics, many fans weren't convinced that Black and White looked that good. In fact, a number of fans felt they looked worse than the Gen 4 games. I think that both Game Freak and Nintendo heard the message loud and clear. Gen 5 ended up being one of the shortest generations in history, wrapped up in just two years (by the North American and European clock; three by the Japanese) and off we went to Kalos on the 3DS. Now do you guys really believe that Nintendo is going to be stupid enough to make the same mistake again so soon? Why would they release Gen VII on the 3DS only for all of us to complain about it when they could just as well release XY2 or Z on the 3DS and not a single one of us would bat an eyelash about "missed opportunities for improved graphics" and the like? :-\

Time: As much as Nintendo loves to milk Pokémon, they understand the real risk of milking a cow bone dry if you keep at the udders too hard for too long. That's why we tend to have reboots, spin-offs, and other side games in the meantime. They're ways to tide over the Poké-faithful (and collect more of their money!) while at the same time giving the more casual demographic a chance to catch their breath. Releasing a new main series generation once every two years is crazy no matter how you look at it. Not only because it would kill the current incarnation of Game Freak from exhaustion but because it would be a recipe for the first time in franchise history where a new generation's launch week hasn't sold more copies than the preceding generation's. Nintendo loves spinning those launch week numbers. It's good for PR, to be able to say, "Hey! Pokémon isn't just hot, it's smokin'! Did you see the first week sales figures for XY? Best yet! 8)" That magic is allowed to happen because they give the more casual crowd some time to catch their breath. You release a new generation every two years and you're going to start seeing a lot more players say, "Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think I'm going to sit this generation out. ^^;" That's the exact opposite of what Nintendo wants. They want you buying at least one main series title every generation.

It's different with a Z or an XY2 though. With those titles, you aren't trying to grab the bulk of the casuals anyway. You're trying to grab a) the casual stragglers, the ones who passed up X and Y in order to get Z or XY2, and b) the hardcore fans who "gotta catch 'em all!" and buy at least one title from every release. All of the competitive players and their need for Move Tutor moves. All of the fans who want to experience XY's story again without resetting (only applicable if we get Z instead of XY2). All of the fans who adore direct sequels (only applicable if we get XY2 instead of Z). Z or XY2 are good, safe money to farm from the Poké-faithful. They're also easy on the development team to make. Most of the resources are already there. Creature designs, graphics, attacks ... All you have to do is ask Ichinose to write two or three new songs, ask the programmers to squeeze in one or two new cities, have them edit what the NPCs say and/or where they're standing, reorganize the game's flags, and you have yourself a Z or an XY2.

Time, Part II: So speaking of spin-offs and side games ... we have that one Detective Pikachu game that still isn't out yet ... we have Pokken Tournament ... we always have fans crying out for a Snap sequel on Wii U ... there are plenty of other side games that Nintendo wants us to buy and/or that we want Nintendo to allow us to buy ... and you're just not going to have the time to play these games if you're constantly moving between main series games. Many, many players will opt to give a FireRed or a SoulSilver a pass, especially if they're feeling a little burnt out on main series games for a while and they don't want to have to transfer all of their guys over just yet from one pak to the next. Nintendo would rather have those lost sales hit a FireRed or a SoulSilver than have them hit the Gen VII launch titles. And looking at this another way, Nintendo doesn't want its games to be in competition with another if it can help it. So if they want people going after Detective Pikachu or Pokken Tournament, it's in their best interests to not distract our wallets with promises of Gen VII on the horizon. How many of you would say, "I'm saving my $40 for Omega Sapphire instead of Pokken Tournament?" A lot, I bet, but probably nowhere near as many of you as would say, "I'm saving my $40 for Gen VII instead of Pokken Tournament."

Tradition: Enough said. You guys are asking us to believe that Game Freak would suddenly break with a tradition over fifteen years old. There's always a first time for everything, sure, but it's going to take more than that rhetoric to convince me that after getting Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and BW2 that we're suddenly not going to get any more games like them.

Malva: Easily the most interesting hanging thread of XY's plot in my opinion. She's touched on a bit in XY's epilogue (the Looker adventures) but it remains to be explored what her fellow Elite Four members think/thought of her, whether they knew, etc. If for no one else than Malva, I would love to see an XY2.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

These are just some of the reasons why I don't think we'll be heading to Gen VII any time soon, and furthermore why I think a Gen VI sequel (XY2) or trio title (Z) is in the works.

A few people have already touched upon this, but I think it deserves a greater discussion: Zygarde is a dead giveaway that there will be another installment that takes place in Kalos before Gen 6 ends. Zygarde is the Rayquaza/Giratina/Kyurem of this generation, and just like those three, Zygarde appears in the post-game with no real explanation or foreshadowing, outside of that one mine's (Can't remember the name) description stating it was closed down because of rumors of a monster lurking within. Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves have also been revealed by hackers, like how people knew about the "God Stone" (AKA the DNA splicers), and Freeze Shock and Ice Burn well before anyone even knew B2W2 would exist. All this is pretty much guaranteeing at least one more installment related to XY.
On an unrelated note, you can also really tell GF held back with XY's post-game, especially compared to the main game. It's like how you can tell they held back with BW's post-game to save stuff for the sequels, but to an even greater extent.

The article doesn't say that all breedable Pokémon will be obtainable in Generation VI and there could still be unrelated hidden abilities save for Z.
Those aren't as big selling points as legendaries are. Most people don't even know which Pokémon are exclusive to the previous generations. The starters do stand out, but again, it doesn't make sense to keep them for the next release while making all the legenedaries obtainable now.

I could easily see the Johto and Sinnoh starters showing up in ORAS and the Unova ones in an XY update.

Also I think they are mainly doing this for next year's Play! Pokémon rules which could possibly be the National Pokédex (minus events, mascots and Mewtwo) with only Kalos/Hoenn native Pokémon because all legendary Pokémon will then be able to be Kalos/Hoenn native Pokémon.
Why wouldn't they do this in 2016 after a hypothetical Kalos game? Besides, that wouldn't explain the version mascots, which they're emphasizing for ORAS.

Also if they will save Zygarde Mega Evolution for later by an update of X and Y how can they be sure that everyone will own X and Y? I think not every store would sell X and Y at that point because ORAS would be more popular than X and Y after ORAS release.
For one thing, the update will be meant for existing players first and foremost. For another, I really don't see ORAS replacing XY on store shelves, and there is always eShop which would be needed for the update anyway. They might re-release XY with the updated content already installed.

Talon87 said:
Gen 5 ended up being one of the shortest generations in history, wrapped up in just two years (by the North American and European clock; three by the Japanese)
That isn't any different from Generation II, or Generation I in the west (which only lasted 2 years; II and V lasted 2.5 years). And you'll find that you're in the minority when it comes to complaining about a generation not being drawn out.

Now do you guys really believe that Nintendo is going to be stupid enough to make the same mistake again so soon? Why would they release Gen VII on the 3DS only for all of us to complain about it when they could just as well release XY2 or Z on the 3DS and not a single one of us would bat an eyelash about "missed opportunities for improved graphics" and the like? :-\
The stupid thing to do would be to underutilize the New 3DS by way of another Generation VI game. The 3DS' successor is unlikely to be released until 2017, which would make it unfeasible to release Generation VII that year. Do you really see this generation lasting five years?

The New 3DS is comparable to the GBC (rather than the DSi) in that it can enhance graphics and gameplay even for non-exclusive titles. The Generation VII versions are likely to be more similar (in terms of a generational leap) to Gold/Silver than Black/White.

So speaking of spin-offs and side games ... we have that one Detective Pikachu game that still isn't out yet ... we have Pokken Tournament ... we always have fans crying out for a Snap sequel on Wii U ... there are plenty of other side games that Nintendo wants us to buy and/or that we want Nintendo to allow us to buy ... and you're just not going to have the time to play these games if you're constantly moving between main series games.
That's one of the reasons why 2015 shouldn't have a main series release, apart from the XY update (probably sooner rather than later).

Tradition: Enough said. You guys are asking us to believe that Game Freak would suddenly break with a tradition over fifteen years old. There's always a first time for everything, sure, but it's going to take more than that rhetoric to convince me that after getting Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and BW2 that we're suddenly not going to get any more games like them.
There was no way to update those games; XY are another story. Also, please don't pretend that B2W2 are part of the third version tradition.

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering a new game+ style DLC option for XY. A lot has changed since 2012/2013 in regatds to Nintendo and DLC. Okay, new tracks in MK8 and new ciurses for Mario Golf are vastly different to what Pokemon can offer, but I am starting to wonder if they didn't rush them as much as left the option there. Although 2015 won't see a new release, I do see a rerelease of XY happening. Its the same gamr, but with an epilogue chapter adding two-three cities, some routes, and a Zygarde story. Lati flying is qlso added,along with ties to Hoenn and the mystery region. I say epilogue, as it would allow XY owners to simply download it as AOC for a discounted price, or it offers people who don't own XY a chance to pkay it but with new life. ORAS on the other hand will be a more complete game, thus excluding the need for DLC.

Lati flying is qlso added,
It would explain why Mega Latias and Latios were programmed into XY. For all we know, so was the flying feature, or at least an early version of it.

I see the XY update being released around two months after ORAS, not unlike Bank in Japan in regard to XY (it was the plan for all countries). It would also push ORAS' sales due to Latias/Latios being necessary for catching all the legendaries (which wouldn't all be in ORAS). The Zygarde story shouldn't depend on that, though.

Last edited:
Yeah,that is why I'm expecting it. Its too convenient for them to have the lati megas in-game but no placeholders for all the other ORAS megas. I'm thinking about it, but if the Lati Flying does show up in Kalos, they could fly us to uncharted places. I don't think an update would happen that soon, maybe in 6 months or so, like frlg and emerald. I also wonder, can they patch in N3DS support with the DLC to allow for preformance updates?

I don't think an update would happen that soon, maybe in 6 months or so, like frlg and emerald.
I expect Generation VII to be announced around E3 2015 (in June), so the update should be out of the way by then. An early 2015 release would also allow them to focus on spin-off games throughout the year.

I also wonder, can they patch in N3DS support with the DLC to allow for preformance updates?
I don't see why they would do that when even ORAS are regular 3DS games. They're better off saving that upgrade for the next generation.

Gen 7 is gonna be announced the year its coming out, like all gens. So either 2016 or 2017. I expect 2015 to be a quiet year, just with the DLC expansion of XY in the beginning

Gen 7 is gonna be announced the year its coming out, like all gens.
There are very good reasons why they should release it in early 2016, which would mean a 2015 announcement. Only the recent two generations were announced in the same year as their release, anyway. What matters is the length of the pre-release period (8-9 months), of which only the last 4-5 months are used for major promotion.

Last edited:
Good reasons, yet I'm not entirely convinced. Early 2016 feels, well, early. A big, winter launch of the 20th Anniversary games would work wonders.

A big, winter launch of the 20th Anniversary games would work wonders.
It would be fine, but I don't see how it would be better. The only question is if Game Freak can get the games ready by March, to which the answer should be positive considering that we aren't dealing with a notable hardware leap. They'd only start promoting the games at full force in October-November, so the bulk of 2015 wouldn't be derailed by that.

I'm fairly sure that Nintendo will announce the 3DS' successor by E3 2016, so releasing Generation VII beforehand would be the wise choice. There was a lot of confusion when Black/White and the 3DS were revealed around the same time, and it was a really bad move to release them almost simultaneously outside Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom