• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having more stuff doesn't make something post game, in fact I would claim the exact opposite if there's enough content. They put the Pokemon League, which is the traditional end of the game, halfway through, so I can't really consider that post game.

The Elite Four and Champion get stronger during the post game of HGSS so I think that it does count as post game. HGSS have a number of things to do post game that people failed to recognized.

Anyway, December is approaching and we'll know what would be in this months corocoro although it may not be as big as some think it would be. However, movie news isn't really what people call big news so a main series game may or may not happen. If nothing is announced, January or February are possible but who knows when the announcement is made.

DP also had 3 cities and Elite 4 rematches aren't exactly a huge deal.

Yes it is. DP had none of gym leader rematches and E4 rematches. Many want a aftergame challenge that's not an obligatory facilty and some want good spots to train. BW had the E4 rematches and battles like against Cynthia.

You're making an awful big deal about Elite 4 rematches.

An awful big deal? Does I really mentioned the E4 rematches are that important? No, but it's better than no rematches and some want them.

More complete? I don't see it. Both had plenty of areas to explore, tons of Pokemon to catch, a battling facility, and a couple of neat features and activities that unlocked. I'd say they're roughly equal.

DP lacked in quiet some areas. Spite animation are not there, where in BW the pokemon moved all the time, it have E4 rematches and some goodies after the league etc. Both DP and BW pokedex are extremly bad with them only having 150 pokemon in the dex. And not so many pokemon after the league. "Tons of pokemon to catch" does look different. DP battle tower have single and dual battle game modes. In BW there are multiple game modes to choose.

Not that much shorter? There were only 11 main game routes, 10 cities, and 11 dungeons. DP had 23 routes, 13 cities, and 11 dungeons. So yeah, DP's main game is significantly bigger than BW1's, roughly 30% bigger.
And I go not for the overall size of the region, but more for the playtime you have in BW. Yeah BW main game was shorter, but the amount of story spots in the games stretch the whole main game.

HGSS is kind of tricky to classify because of the two region system. Kanto is kind of post game but it's also... not, so I don't really count it.
And why not? If the League marks in the titles the end of the main game, then the whole Kanto area is post game. This way or another GS and HG/SS does have the most content if we go for the overall content

That's because XY was the polar opposite of BW1 Unova, a lengthy main game but a virtually nonexistent post game.

And what content was in XY, that provided more game time? XY region was bigger than BW, but the overall content of the whole XY game don't surpass the content of the whole BW game, which region wa smaller.

Yes it is. DP had none of gym leader rematches and E4 rematches. Many want a aftergame challenge that's not an obligatory facilty and some want good spots to train. BW had the E4 rematches and battles like against Cynthia.

An awful big deal? Does I really mentioned the E4 rematches are that important? No, but it's better than no rematches and some want them.

DP lacked in quiet some areas. Spite animation are not there, where in BW the pokemon moved all the time, it have E4 rematches and some goodies after the league etc. Both DP and BW pokedex are extremly bad with them only having 150 pokemon in the dex. And not so many pokemon after the league. "Tons of pokemon to catch" does look different. DP battle tower have single and dual battle game modes. In BW there are multiple game modes to choose.

And I go not for the overall size of the region, but more for the playtime you have in BW. Yeah BW main game was shorter, but the amount of story spots in the games stretch the whole main game.

And why not? If the League marks in the titles the end of the main game, then the whole Kanto area is post game. This way or another GS and HG/SS does have the most content if we go for the overall content

And what content was in XY, that provided more game time? XY region was bigger than BW, but the overall content of the whole XY game don't surpass the content of the whole BW game, which region wa smaller.

Imo, it should be highlighted that first games of a generation don't usually have gym leader rematches and Elite Four rematches.

XY is the only first game to feature gym leader rematches, and BW is the only first game to feature Pokemon League rematches.

DP had plenty of both with the Vs. Seeker. If anything, I'd criticize BW for having to utilize the sports stadiums for rematches.

You're certainly acting like it is by giving DP a lot of grief for not having them.

Spite animation are not there, where in BW the pokemon moved all the time

That's a product of the time, BW only had constantly animated sprites because they had experience with the DS to experiment with that whereas the DS was still new in DP and they were still adjusting. What's next? Are you going to criticize RBY for not being in color or GSC and RSE for not having online?

it have E4 rematches and some goodies after the league etc.

DP had some goodies too.

Both DP and BW pokedex are extremly bad with them only having 150 pokemon in the dex. And not so many pokemon after the league. "Tons of pokemon to catch" does look different.

DP had 150 Sinnoh Dex Pokemon and 445 Pokemon total
BW1 had 156 Unova Dex Pokemon and 469 Pokemon total

They're roughly equal in terms of Pokemon available.

DP battle tower have single and dual battle game modes. In BW there are multiple game modes to choose.

Again, that's a product of what generation they were, not the actual quality in the game.

I got a lot more playtime out of DP than BW1 actually.

Because it's an entire Part 2 to the game with more badges. Your quest to become the strongest trainer doesn't end there like it would in other games.

And by your playtime logic, it doesn't necessarily have more than every other. It has more areas but there's not as much extra content as DP and BW1. My playthrough of HGSS ended slightly less than DP, but more than BW1.

You have to take both region and content into consideration. A larger region will definitely have a longer playtime than a smaller one, but if the smaller region has more content than the other, it'll probably be a little more equal.

Just to point it out, when any official source says "big news", it usually indicates either a brand new Pokémon or a brand new game that hasn't been revealed yet. And when they say "big news", that never indicates a new forme or anything like that, it has to be something entirely new.

I am very curious what road will GF take for the next game. I think Z is only logical... But I secretly hope we will get a semi new generation, lile gen II from gen I.

Also, what someone from GF said about "returning to simplicity" what was that about? The designs or the game mechanics?

Last edited:
DP had plenty of both with the Vs. Seeker. If anything, I'd criticize BW for having to utilize the sports stadiums for rematches.

DP have rematches against trainer. We are talking about leader and E4 rematches and generell strong trainer trainer equal to leader level. In BW you have many trainer in one spot for training.

You're certainly acting like it is by giving DP a lot of grief for not having them.

No I don't grief DP for it, but I can't ignore that DP had none of them.

That's a product of the time, BW only had constantly animated sprites because they had experience with the DS to experiment with that whereas the DS was still new in DP and they were still adjusting. What's next? Are you going to criticize RBY for not being in color or GSC and RSE for not having online?

No but animated sprites is something many wanted since Crystal came out which introduced the animated sprites for the first time. And Gen 5 included a more enhanded version since the beginning. This is not ony DP, but also RS and FR/LG. Also what does a Generation have to do with that? Animated sprites excist since Crystal and BW upgraded them.

DP had some goodies too.

Yeah but what are these in the post game? DP had the island with some routes and small towns. You ca explore them for some hours but what then? Battles are a big part for pokemon. There are not many other options besides trainer rematches and the same E4 for training. Lack of facilty for a challenge. Lack of something that need some training to conquer.

DP had 150 Sinnoh Dex Pokemon and 445 Pokemon total
BW1 had 156 Unova Dex Pokemon and 469 Pokemon total

They're roughly equal in terms of Pokemon available.

And what does I have said? I criticism both for having a extremly poor pokedex for the regional pokedex. Both also flawed on type variaton, especially DP with the lack of Fire, Electric and Ice pokemon.

Again, that's a product of what generation they were, not the actual quality in the game.

This is once more not a complain about DP, but BW have a battle facilty that have more game modes to choose. This is something what could be said to the graphics. Red/Blue graphics were nice in that time, but the newer games still have graphics, that are better.

I got a lot more playtime out of DP than BW1 actually.

Because most of DP was slow as heck

Because it's an entire Part 2 to the game with more badges. Your quest to become the strongest trainer doesn't end there like it would in other games.

And by your playtime logic, it doesn't necessarily have more than every other. It has more areas but there's not as much extra content as DP and BW1. My playthrough of HGSS ended slightly less than DP, but more than BW1.

HG/SS have 48 routes with 23 towns and 16 badges to get. Conent wise this is the most filled quest in the pokemon franchise. DPP have like every other generation 8 badges and mostly 10-15 towns and 20-30 routes. The region are smaller, but combined, they have much more than Sinnoh. I also getting more game time than Platinum.

You have to take both region and content into consideration. A larger region will definitely have a longer playtime than a smaller one, but if the smaller region has more content than the other, it'll probably be a little more equal.

Kalos doesn't feel long. The rollerblades provide a really really fast traveling possibility and the routes are not that more big and some routes doesn't even have more than 1-2 trainer. Kalos is big as a region, but it's not filled well.

The thing that I liked about BW the most, is that, unlike any other first pair of generation games, it didn't get outshined by a third version that outclassed it in everything.

Because it got followed by sequels, it managed to stay unique. It has one point over it's sequels: better story.

I hope XY follows this path, and they manage to make Z or whatever they are making, different from XY, so XY are not completely outclassed in everything. I am saying this because nobody likes spending his money for a game, knowing it will end up being a beta version of an other game.

With games like Crystal, Emerald or Platinum, the originals become useless. I don't think this is a smart move, because people, will eventually wait for third versions and skip the first pairs. Gen V solved that.

•New mega evolutions
Yes, please. That would really make me happy, as I felt ORAS dropped the ball on the Mega front a little. (Did they really need to reveal every Mega in Hoenn?)
In particular though, I'd like to see more of the following:

2nd gen Megas
4th gen Megas
5th gen Megas
Yes, more Gen V Megas! Tons of them!

I'd like to see:
Mega Throh
Mega Druddigon
Mega Maractus
Mega Sawk <----Please, GF?
Mega Bisharp <----Pretty please, GF?
Mega Golurk* <----Pretty please with Sweet Honey on top, GF?

*I've even figured out a way to make everyone want a Klutz Golurk: Any Automatons with its HA or Iron Fist will keep that as a Mega while any Klutzes get Levitate. Make the big lug Steel/Ghost and he could wreck some slag that way. Though a lot of people would be breaking the BP bank to get Ability Capsules... (I'd be one of them but I wouldn't be complaining at all.)

The thing that I liked about BW the most, is that, unlike any other first pair of generation games, it didn't get outshined by a third version that outclassed it in everything.

Because it got followed by sequels, it managed to stay unique. It has one point over it's sequels: better story.

I hope XY follows this path, and they manage to make Z or whatever they are making, different from XY, so XY are not completely outclassed in everything. I am saying this because nobody likes spending his money for a game, knowing it will end up being a beta version of an other game.

With games like Crystal, Emerald or Platinum, the originals become useless. I don't think this is a smart move, because people, will eventually wait for third versions and skip the first pairs. Gen V solved that.

Pretty much hoping the same. Third versions are good games, but the idea of a sequel with updatet locations and especially new added areas are better than a simple version. With that what we have and Masuda traveled to South France, there's at least a pretty good chance for new areas to come.

I honestly don't want many new Mega's. About 5-10 are ok, but not 20.
The thing I am wondering the most is how they want to implement the Mega's in a new generation.

Pretty much hoping the same. Third versions are good games, but the idea of a sequel with updatet locations and especially new added areas are better than a simple version. With that what we have and Masuda traveled to South France, there's at least a pretty good chance for new areas to come.

I honestly don't want many new Mega's. About 5-10 are ok, but not 20.
The thing I am wondering the most is how they want to implement the Mega's in a new generation.

A Third Version game, sends the wrong message. It basically tells you: "The first two were a Beta and we stole your cash, here is the final product."
A Sequel tells you: "The first pair is so good, it deserved a contitnuation."

I liked the amount of megas in the first two games, for Z there should be less Megas than in the previous games.

Probably there will be something new. A big island like Corsica or Sardinia... could be a possibility...

Also, what someone from GF said about "returning to simplicity" what was that about? The designs or the game mechanics?

It's a quote from an interview, it was said by Ken Sugimori, arguably Game Freak's most influental artist and the one responsible for main Pokemon artwork. I don't recall exactly what was said (someone on here could likely provide a link) but he said he was going to/wanting to return to simplicity in regards to the next Pokemon games. Whatever that means, however, is a total mystery. No-one knows what he meant, whether it was within the game design, or just his own Pokemon designs.

Mega Druddigon

Yes please. I love Druddigon and hate how much hate it gets from people; it's definitely in my top 20 favourite Pokemon. Its design has lots of potential to expand, so I'd love to see where they would go with it (most of the fanart Megas for it don't look very good though :/). Plus it has a pretty fantastic movepool, so an increase in stats would really be all it needs to make it even more usable!

I'd be fine with another 20-25 Megas in the next game personally. I know lots of people hate them, but I like them and the change in designs, types and abilities are interesting to me (especially how they end up affecting the metagame). They are more of a power-up than a full-on evolution, so it's cool to see how designs like Pidgeot, Beedrill, Glalie etc all react (for lack of a better word) to powering up. And I really want them to start chipping away at more Megas before they inevitably drop the idea and move onto some other method of evolution that's going to end up being a mechanic in a few gens time. Plus they haven't even started Gen V and VI Megas really (barring Audino/Diancie obv).

It's a quote from an interview, it was said by Ken Sugimori, arguably Game Freak's most influental artist and the one responsible for main Pokemon artwork. I don't recall exactly what was said (someone on here could likely provide a link) but he said he was going to/wanting to return to simplicity in regards to the next Pokemon games. Whatever that means, however, is a total mystery. No-one knows what he meant, whether it was within the game design, or just his own Pokemon designs.
Exactly, well, this is always subjective, but I would definitely love a return to simplicity design wise. I have favourites in every generation, but I definitely prefer the first three generations design wise, especially 2 and 3. I would be glad if that´s what he meant, personally.

In the same interview Sugimori said Gengar was still his favourite Pokemon design wise, iirc.

Last edited:
Considering that Sugimori was evidently the one who wanted fusion Pokemon (in reference to Kyurem) I'm not even sure what he'd consider "simplistic"

Yes please. I love Druddigon and hate how much hate it gets from people; it's definitely in my top 20 favourite Pokemon. Its design has lots of potential to expand, so I'd love to see where they would go with it (most of the fanart Megas for it don't look very good though :/). Plus it has a pretty fantastic movepool, so an increase in stats would really be all it needs to make it even more usable!
I want a Mega Druddigon that has a powered up Rough Skin (somewhere in between the damage of Rough Skin and Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet) with a special defense boost >=]

Or combination Rough Skin + Fur Coat variant called Dragon Skin or something where there damage from special attacks are halved but also does 1/8th damage for direct contact moves.

Last edited:
Considering that Sugimori was evidently the one who wanted fusion Pokemon (in reference to Kyurem) I'm not even sure what he'd consider "simplistic"

I want a Mega Druddigon that has a powered up Rough Skin (somewhere in between the damage of Rough Skin and Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet) with a special defense boost >=]

Or combination Rough Skin + Fur Coat variant called Dragon Skin or something where there damage from special attacks are halved but also does 1/8th damage for direct contact moves.

Sugimori could have wanted less simplistic Pokemon designs for gen V, and more simplistic ones for generation VII, like a going back to the roots design style.

I don't think him wanting complex designs like BW Kyurem, for gen V, and wanting simplistic designs for gen VII are contradictory statements.

Also, I think he is aware of which designs are simplistic and which are complex, he designed most of both, didn't he?

Last edited:
@NinjutsuSen I'm starting to question if you understand what content is. You're talking about things like training spots and dex variety which is good, but it's not really content. It's not really extra "stuff" for you to do, it just enhances existing content.

I am very curious what road will GF take for the next game. I think Z is only logical... But I secretly hope we will get a semi new generation, lile gen II from gen I?

I don't think they should introduce new pokemon in Z. It is a waste of time because gen 7 would come after. Plus we have enough trading issues with XY and ORAS such as megas of ORAS not available for XY. New pokemon can wait until after gen 6 is over in my opinion.

I don't think they should introduce new pokemon in Z. It is a waste of time because gen 7 would come after. Plus we have enough trading issues with XY and ORAS such as megas of ORAS not available for XY. New pokemon can wait until after gen 6 is over in my opinion.
I dont see why it would be a waste of time. They can still put more new Pokemon in Gen 7. I think it would be a neat a idea for the next game, obviously it wouldnt have to be that many new Pokemon, maybe around 20-30 at the most would be nice. Id would make the next game unique since that hasnt happened in a third version before, and third versions could use more new ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom