• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

All of your points are dead-on, 100% understandable and logical. But you forgot something. Aside from XY2, Z or even VW (prequels) or maybe even WZ (a prequel and a sequel), there's one more option. X 2.0 and Y 2.0, which would just be X and Y upgraded with DLC. Every point you made is applicable to the 2.0's as well. In fact, most people are assuming that we're getting XY 2.0 as opposed to any other option. And considering this could not only introduce ORAS Mega's but additional new Pokémon, new Mega's and anything else GameFreak desires, I am totally in favor of this.

The console: The release of Black and White marked the first time since 1999 (in Japan; 2000 in North America; and 2001 in Europe) that we had had two brand-new generations released on the same console. Gens 1 and 2 shared the Game Boy, Gen 3 had the GBA all to itself, Gen 4 seemed to have the DS all to itself ... and then Gen 5 showed up and demanded to share with Gen 4. Many fans were disappointed that Game Freak had not waited (or had not been allowed by Nintendo to wait) for the soon-to-release 3DS. "Why didn't they make a new region for a new console? :-(" No matter how hard Game Freak tried to sell us on the graphics, many fans weren't convinced that Black and White looked that good. In fact, a number of fans felt they looked worse than the Gen 4 games.

Game Freak has absolutely no control over this issue and Nintendo doesn't care. The reason there was a filler generation in the first place was because the DS' lifespan was longer than usual and a normal 3-4 year Pokemon generation wasn't long enough to sustain it. And the reason behind the longer console lifespan is because increasing development costs make it harder to turn a profit nowadays, so they keep their consoles on the market for longer to compensate. So good luck getting them to budge on that.

As for why they chose a filler generation over two more 4 gen games? Probably because they thought the fans would get bored easier, there's only so much they can do with the same amount of Pokemon, the same gameplay mechanics, and the same regions. And judging by how little 5th gen improved the gameplay mechanics, a filler generation was the right call since at least then they had new Pokemon, a new region, and a new storyline to spice things up. And graphics were the least of fans' concerns anyway, I see more people complaining about 5th gen because it was a reboot that dumbed everything down and pandered more to little kids and less to older fans than anything else.

As for now, we have a new model of the 3DS coming out soon, which not only pushes the release of the next generation back a few years but also brings plenty of enhancements in its own right that Game Freak will probably want to take advantage of. So I can see 7th gen being designed around New 3DS, and 8th gen starting on the 3DS' successor.

I think that both Game Freak and Nintendo heard the message loud and clear. Gen 5 ended up being one of the shortest generations in history, wrapped up in just two years (by the North American and European clock; three by the Japanese) and off we went to Kalos on the 3DS.

You do realize that game development takes several years right? They would've had to plan all of this several years ahead of time, likely before BW1 even released. So no, this has nothing to do with it. 5th gen was short because it occupied the tail end of the DS' lifespan, they ended it as soon as they could release XY.

Releasing a new main series generation once every two years is crazy no matter how you look at it. Not only because it would kill the current incarnation of Game Freak from exhaustion but because it would be a recipe for the first time in franchise history where a new generation's launch week hasn't sold more copies than the preceding generation's. Nintendo loves spinning those launch week numbers. It's good for PR, to be able to say, "Hey! Pokémon isn't just hot, it's smokin'! Did you see the first week sales figures for XY? Best yet! 8)" That magic is allowed to happen because they give the more casual crowd some time to catch their breath. You release a new generation every two years and you're going to start seeing a lot more players say, "Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, I think I'm going to sit this generation out. ^^;" That's the exact opposite of what Nintendo wants. They want you buying at least one main series title every generation.

I don't think anyone here has ever said they wanted 7th gen in 2 years. I was thinking 3 years would be more reasonable. I was thinking more 2016 for 7th gen and 2019 for 8th gen.

Tradition: Enough said. You guys are asking us to believe that Game Freak would suddenly break with a tradition over fifteen years old. There's always a first time for everything, sure, but it's going to take more than that rhetoric to convince me that after getting Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and BW2 that we're suddenly not going to get any more games like them.

If they cared about tradition that much we wouldn't have gotten BW2.

Pokemon game in the future, either for Gen VI or Gen VII would be a very interesting to play. Especially that they are introducing an "outside-of-the-box" features recently. To name few are Mega evolution and Primal.

In the upcoming OR/AS, I thing we will be having an understanding on how Mega Evolution were introduced and how other Pokemon are having the same trend. And I cannot wait to see that.

But I think, after playing OR/AS, I am looking forward to see more Pokemon with Primal Reversion.

I think, aside from Mega Evolution, Pokemon Company will also introduce more Pokemon with Primal Reversion. Therefore, there is only one way to introduce the same, by going back into the past.

I am always fond of it. A game that features classic/old Kalos or any other regions with old school Pokemon. Who knows, we can also catch a Pokemon that are already extinct or no longer exist in the present Pokemon and using old school Pokeball(Apricorn in this case).

I am also looking forward that this "going-back-into-the-past" thing would be a post-game features or after you beat the Champion and you have to resolve something connected with Primal Reversion.

As we always said, it's ok to dream. And I'm dreaming big.

Q4 is a better sales period though, you get more sales in that part of the year because of Christmas.
Releasing RS, DPPt, HGSS and BW in March/April (in the US) didn't affect their sales. The Christmas sales can always contribute later.

Putting the release date discussion aside, let's try to think of feasible ways for XY to be updated for a reasonable price (around $5). For starters, the only new feature from ORAS that I expect to see is the flying one, as not only it would explain the data for Mega Latias and Latios, but it would also allow the legendaries to be split more evenly between XY and ORAS. In contrast, there is little incentive to make Contests, Secret Bases or the Battle Frontier non-exclusive to ORAS.

Latias/Latios would presumably need to be traded from ORAS, but Game Freak might be generous and incorporate the Eon Ticket event (via a boat from Courmarine City). Compared to Hoenn, Kalos has no hidden islands, but it does have plenty of untouched mountains. So I see there being mountainous Mythical Places for any legendaries not obtainable in ORAS. Since only one legendary bird can be obtained in a given XY game (depending on the starter), it would be a very good idea to make the other two catchable - while flying. I see them roaming Kalos' skies, which is something the Kami trio might do in Hoenn. They should also be given their hidden abilities.

The Zygarde story should be independent of the above. Short of re-using old areas, there are three possibilities for new areas to accommodate a quest:

* The four unused Kalos Power Plant facilities. One of them has a description that may allude to Zygarde: "This plant uses heat from the ground to generate electricity. The plant is a sharp commentary on the hidden passion that lies just beneath everyone's surface." It seems possible that the "hidden passion" is Zygarde's secret power; perhaps its Mega Stone or equivalent item is being used as a power source.
* The unused Couriway train, which presumably leads to a region east of Kalos. This could work if the new area were detached from the rest of the region (like the Sinjoh Ruins).
* The Lumiose Station could lead to another city in south Kalos. The station has two mysteries: The message about someone going to get help, and the two Skiddo waiting outside for their old trainer. It seems likely that said trainer was the one who wrote the message, having to leave to get help in an unseen place.

Perhaps the quest should start with locating Skiddo's trainer and finding out what's been bothering them. This would then lead to finding the Power Plant keys, Zygarde's Mega Stone and ultimately either Malva or Lysandre (if not both) for the final showdown against the version mascot from the opposite version. Due to the player potentially having level 100 Pokémon, any battles in the quest would be handled by matching the opponent's level to the maximum level in the player's party (much like the Open Level scaling in some of the facilities). AZ would show up if only to provide insight on the Kalos trio's history and motivations. I see him entrusting Eternal Floette to the player due to his own life no longer being eternal, which he would gladly accept.

Given the focus on the Lumiose girl mystery and the implication that it will be solved soon, there is probably going to be a sidequest with her. I doubt that it's important enough to be incorporated into the Zygarde story, but it might be related to another legendary considering what happened with Cresselia and the previous ghost mystery in Unova. Come to think of it, perhaps the "one" she is looking for is Skiddo's trainer.

Last edited:
Its just been confirmed that XY won't be updated with ORAS Mega's (but will still be compatible for trading and battling, I guess similar to the Gen 1-2 relationship), so it seems even more likely they're going to give us Z or skip right to Gen 7.

Its just been confirmed that XY won't be updated with ORAS Mega's (but will still be compatible for trading and battling, I guess similar to the Gen 1-2 relationship), so it seems even more likely they're going to give us Z or skip right to Gen 7.
A comptatibility patch and DLC content are mutually exclusive. They could easily update XY with content like Mega Zygarde without adding the ORAS Mega Evolutions. I assume that they just want ORAS to have exclusive content, so that if you're interested in a new Mega Evolution, you have to buy the games to actually use it in this generation.

If anything, this just makes the inclusion of Mega Latias/Latios in XY's data even more suspicious. Anyone who thinks that a new Kalos game is likely should explain why all the legendaries are being made obtainable now. Since the ΩR/αS league (for rating battles) only allows to enter Pokémon obtained in XY or ORAS, this all but confirms that the non-legendaries will all be obtainable between said games, too. What would a Z league even be about?

Last edited:
How would battling/trading with ORAS work in that case? I guess we can battle the new megas but we won't be able to see them mega evolve? Something like the Rotom forms used by Platinum player when battling a DP player?... that's a mess...
And what about new mega stones attached to traded pkmn? I guess they could make it impossible to trade a pkmn holding a new mega stone...
Also here's Masuda with his dumb "people don't have time for games nowdays" thing: Pokemon Director Explains Why Series is Becoming Easier - GameSpot

Masuda has also confirmed that the entire National Pokédex will be completable using XY and ORAS alone, in case there was any doubt about that.

How would battling/trading with ORAS work in that case? I guess we can battle the new megas but we won't be able to see them mega evolve? Something like the Rotom forms used by Platinum player when battling a DP player?... that's a mess...
And what about new mega stones attached to traded pkmn? I guess they could make it impossible to trade a pkmn holding a new mega stone...
They'll presumably prohibit the new Mega Stones from being used in communication with XY players. It would be too much mess if a Pokémon Mega Evolved during battle without the XY player seeing it.

From the interview you linked to:

Masuda said:
"There's been a lot of demand from people to remake Ruby/Sapphire on social media, for example," he said. "Right now really felt like a good time to do it, and instead of doing a direct sequel to X/Y we're tying it together in some unique ways."
This seems fairly conclusive to me. They'll do something unprecedented to wrap up the XY story.

Last edited:
Masuda has also confirmed that the entire National Pokédex will be completable using XY and ORAS alone, in case there was any doubt about that.

They'll presumably prohibit the new Mega Stones from being used in communication with XY players. It would be too much mess if a Pokémon Mega Evolved during battle without the XY player seeing it.

Masuda said:
"There's been a lot of demand from people to remake Ruby/Sapphire on social media, for example," he said. "Right now really felt like a good time to do it, and instead of doing a direct sequel to X/Y we're tying it together in some unique ways."
This seems fairly conclusive to me. They'll do something unprecedented to wrap up the XY story.

It sounds like they're continuing the story but in OR/AS or am I reading it wrong?

It sounds like they're continuing the story but in OR/AS or am I reading it wrong?
He doesn't say how they will do it. I doubt that he's referring to ORAS; he's just explaining that they wanted to release ORAS instead of a third version and that they have thought of a unique way to wrap up the XY story without releasing another game. This most likely means DLC.

He doesn't say how they will do it. I doubt that he's referring to ORAS; he's just explaining that they wanted to release ORAS instead of a third version and that they have thought of a unique way to wrap up the XY story without releasing another game. This most likely means DLC.

Ah, well I'm glad he's trying to something new. Pretty much confirms that they're not doing third versions anymore.

Masuda said:

So they've de-confirmed X/Y2, basically.

If they're really planning a DLC expansion/content to X/Y, it would certainly explains why X/Y didn't have a massive amount to do in terms of post-game.

So they've de-confirmed X/Y2, basically.
Also a third version. There is no way Masuda would call it unique, and he also explains that they wanted to release ORAS instead of a Z version:

"For example, if after Black and White we came out with a grey, people would have been expecting that," he said. "Same thing with X/Y and having a Z straight afterwards. So we're always just trying to surprise people."

"For example, if after Black and White we came out with a grey, people would have been expecting that," he said. "Same thing with X/Y and having a Z straight afterwards. So we're always just trying to surprise people."

"So we're always just trying to surprise people."

ghirahimannoyedgif546_zps9f34bb28.gif~original

srsly. Surprise is the last thing I've come to expect from game freak, and that's coming from a big fan. Still, if this means what I believe it means, they have succeeded in surprising me this time

and who's the genius who decided xy shouldn't get a patch with the oras megas? I want to personally congratulate them with a big, shiny trophy of an extended middle finger with the phrase "you suck" engraved in it.

A comptatibility patch and DLC content are mutually exclusive. They could easily update XY with content like Mega Zygarde without adding the ORAS Mega Evolutions. I assume that they just want ORAS to have exclusive content, so that if you're interested in a new Mega Evolution, you have to buy the games to actually use it in this generation.

If anything, this just makes the inclusion of Mega Latias/Latios in XY's data even more suspicious. Anyone who thinks that a new Kalos game is likely should explain why all the legendaries are being made obtainable now. Since the ΩR/αS league (for rating battles) only allows to enter Pokémon obtained in XY or ORAS, this all but confirms that the non-legendaries will all be obtainable between said games, too. What would a Z league even be about?

I sure do hope so, I don't wanna spend $40 on Z :p

I really hope that they aren't just rushing this generation just because Nintendo asked them to, but it seems like Nintendo's going to keep pushing GF around in order to make up for the lack of Wii U sales... Unless Gen VII is actually going to be Gen 6.5 like some of us speculated. Actually, that would work perfectly with the announcement of the New 3DS! Maybe they're holding off patching XY until Gen 6.5 is released? That way, they have the opportunity to patch ORAS as well. Think about it. New Pokémon getting patched into old games! This must be why Masuda wanted to surprise us!

Unless Gen VII is actually going to be Gen 6.5 like some of us speculated. Actually, that would work perfectly with the announcement of the New 3DS!
There is no reason not to release a brand new generation for the New 3DS (although it probably won't be exclusive to it), especially considering what happened with Gold/Silver (for the GBC, to which the New 3DS is comparable) and Black/White. They're already making all the Pokémon obtainable between XY and ORAS, as well as limiting comptatibility between the two sets. So I don't see what purpose another compatible game would serve.

Unless Gen VII is actually going to be Gen 6.5 like some of us speculated. Actually, that would work perfectly with the announcement of the New 3DS!
There is no reason not to release a brand new generation for the New 3DS (although it probably won't be exclusive to it), especially considering what happened with Gold/Silver (for the GBC, to which the New 3DS is comparable) and Black/White.

That's kind of what I'm saying, but instead of it being cut off from XY and ORAS battling and trading wise, they're going to patch both XY and ORAS at the same time to accommodate the roster of new Pokémon AND any Mega Evolutions not already in the code of those games. That'd be pretty shocking, would it not?

That's kind of what I'm saying, but instead of it being cut off from XY and ORAS battling and trading wise, they're going to patch both XY and ORAS at the same time to accommodate the roster of new Pokémon AND any Mega Evolutions not already in the code of those games. That'd be pretty shocking, would it not?
But it wouldn't make sense from a financial point of view, as it would allow Generation VI players to merely receive the new Pokémon via trades without buying the new games. Considering that they aren't even using a patch for the ORAS Mega Evolutions, I think it goes without saying that they won't do that.

PKMNOriginsRed said:
My bets on X2/Y2 with Mega Zygarde X and Mega Zygarde Y, or a DLC update to X/Y.
Sequels have been ruled out; read my previous posts on this page.

But it wouldn't make sense from a financial point of view, as it would allow Generation VI players to merely receive the new Pokémon via trades without buying the new games. Considering that they aren't even using a patch for the ORAS Mega Evolutions, I think it goes without saying that they won't do that.

That's what happens when you make trading a major part of the gameplay. If people want to trade for the new Pokemon and Megas, let them. There's more to the game than that. They should be marketing the region and its features to rely on sales.

Honestly, if you can trade for the other mascots, I don't see why you can't trade for anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom