• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder now, why haven't we made this connection. If they want to connect Go and the main series, what if the radio silence on the main series is cause of Go's delay? I would assume they would want them to coexist nearly from the start, and considering that factor, perhaps they had to delay the next iteration as well. Further more, we found out recently that Masuda is working on Go's music as well. I'm starting to wonder how much beyond music is GF working on in the end with Go. And perhaps maybe that's where the key to everything is.
While I wouldn't rule out a Kanto game, especially because they seem to be going all in for the anniversary, the Kanto nods could just be to respect and acknowledge where the series started and that it wouldn't be where it is now without it. Especially with how close we are to the anniversary and how Kanto is their main way of drawing all the older fans into the celebrations too.

So the Kanto celebrations could be looking back in respect (and nostalgia) and pulling in the old fans to the celebrations, and then later, maybe after the anniversary date itself has passed, we'll be dealt whatever card is the "future" of the franchise for the next game. Be it Kalos or something completely different.

Not saying this is what they are doing with certainty, just giving a different input on the Kanto focus.

But if we go back to Kanto (and I'm going to be repetitive here because I've been saying this for like a year now) then I'd really hope they give us some sort of sequel/expansion type game rather than rehash of the original but on 3DS. An updated Kanto could be really interesting with a decent time skip (imagine if it's 20 years after Gen I to coincide with 20 years of Pokemon). With the originals releasing on the VC and in those sweet 3DS/2DS bundles, it does seem more likely that if we are getting a Kanto game it wouldn't just be those but updated.
After a Cocurrent sequel with Kalos, that's next on my list. Works with the VC release too. Kanto 20 years ago...and Kanto, 20 years laters.

I can definitely see this working:

- Kanto revisit this year, with Kanto being greatly expanded.

- Z next year, when people are not expecting a Kalos game anymore.

- Gen VII in 2018.

This way, both slots can be filled, the generation gets expanded from 2013 to 2017, and GF gets more time to work on the NX.

Last edited:

- Gen VII in 2018.

That would make Gen VI the longest generation ever at 5 years, that is too long in my opinion.

I agree with @Mitchman something could have happened with GO like a delay that caused them to delay the next main series game too, but again I stress, so far the wait isn't that long.

That would make Gen VI the longest generation ever at 5 years, that is too long in my opinion.

I agree with @Mitchman something could have happened with GO like a delay that caused them to delay the next main series game too, but again I stress, so far the wait isn't that long.
Not really five years... from October 2013, to October 2017, it's four years.

If Gen VII comes in early 2018, it would be a little over four years.

Yes, pretty long, I know, but it would give them more time to work on Gen VII and the new hardware.

Guys, I wouldn't take the Kanto pandering to heart. After all, it's the region that non Pokémon fans are the most familiar with and since they're promoting this AD to twenty+ something's that haven't touched the games in years it makes sense to play it safe with Gen 1 and Lucario. What's interesting to me is that TPC/Nintendo are promoting Pokémon as a global brand that anyone can get into similar to Star Wars. Notice how it goes from kid- teen- young adult- a father with his son.

Not really five years... from October 2013, to October 2017, it's four years.

If Gen VII comes in early 2018, it would be a little over four years.

Yes, pretty long, I know, but it would give them more time to work on Gen VII and the new hardware.

You said 2018 initially, and all first instalments of a gen occur at the end of the year.

By the way, do we have a release year confirmed for the NX?

@!Z! You are relying on patterns again. A generation could start in Spring for example, why not?

Last edited:

- Gen VII in 2018.

This way, both slots can be filled, the generation gets expanded from 2013 to 2017, and GF gets more time to work on the NX.
Eh, a 5 year generstion, while I could see happen in a later generation, wojld be weird for gen 6. Especially if we consider how we already have Zygarde's multiple formes. If its ridiculous for games a year out from their debut, 2 years is even crazier. Maybe a reversed situation? But even then, Kanto revisited and revised would make more sense this year.

I was thinking this since my last post, but what if the timeline was revised to make Kanto 20 years later actually be cocurrent to Kalos sequels. Lets get a bit crazy here and think about it. First lets use Origins as the starting point, and the Kalos and Kanto sequel as the latest games. Then work backwards. B2W2 and XY 3 years before XYZ/Kanto. Then even further back, BW. This is were it gets hard. What I have in mind:
Origins
3YL
HGSS/Platinum
4YL
ORAS
8YL
BW
2YL
B2W2/XY
3YL
XYZ/Kanto

Only thing is, I dunno if I feel right with BW 12 years after Platinum, or with Hoenn so far after the other games. But the timeline in a way goes more along with the game releases, bar platinum. Something akin to adventures, in a way.

Last edited:
Eh, a 5 year generstion, while I could see happen in a later generation, wojld be weird for gen 6. Especially if we consider how we already have Zygarde's multiple formes. If its ridiculous for games a year out from their debut, 2 years is even crazier. Maybe a reversed situation? But even then, Kanto revisited and revised would make more sense this year.

I was thinking this since my last post, but what if the timeline was revised to make Kanto 20 years later actually be cocurrent to Kalos sequels. Letd get a bit crazy here and think about it. First lets use Origins as the starting point, and the Kalos and Kanto sequel as the latest games. Then work backwards. B2W2 and XY 3 years before XYZ/Kanto. Then even further back, BW. This is were it gets hard. What I have in mind:
Origins
3YL
HGSS/Platinum
4YL
ORAS
8YL
BW
2YL
B2W2/XY
3YL
XYZ/Kanto

Only thing is, I dunno if I feel righ with BW 12 years after Platinum, or with Hoenn so far after the other games. But the timeline in a way goes more along with the game releases, bar platinum. Something akin to adventured, in a way.
It can work. What you said, Kalos/Kanto pair this year can function too, except I doubt GF wanna do it.

I mean, part of me is now thinking we will see Kanto in whatever game comes next, even if it is alongside Kalos. The questions that have to be answered though...

1.) Would they do another two region game?
2.) Would they have Kanto in a new game the same year as releasing Kanto in R/B/Y on the Virtual Console?

Two region games don't work. Kanto isn't likely to return this gen apart from virtual console.

- Gen VII in 2018.

No, Kanto isn't likely to come back apart from virtual console. We have to wait for a future gen for Kanto to return.

It can work. What you said, Kalos/Kanto pair this year can function too, except I doubt GF wanna do it.

Kanto game would most likely be in future gen game. This is the time for Kalos and Kalos is similar to Kanto which makes Kanto even less likely.

@!Z! You are relying on patterns again. A generation could start in Spring for example, why not?
for the past 20 years GameFreak has started every generation in Japan during the fall. the one exception is with Generation I, though Blue-- which would be the more 'formal' beginning of Gen I, tbh-- was released in the Fall. it's not impossible, however i would say it's an extremely low chance of happening.

at any rate, i doubt we'll see Kanto return (at least not as a sort of RBY remake v3) this generation. even less so if the next release is the third Kalos game.

Reactions: !Z!
Two region games don't work. Kanto isn't likely to return this gen apart from virtual console.

No, Kanto isn't likely to come back apart from virtual console. We have to wait for a future gen for Kanto to return.

Kanto game would most likely be in future gen game. This is the time for Kalos and Kalos is similar to Kanto which makes Kanto even less likely.
I didn't say it's likely, just speculating. However, seeing how Kanto- strong the anniversary merchandising is...

I didn't say it's likely, just speculating. However, seeing how Kanto- strong the anniversary merchandising is...

I think all the Kanto references were just a hint for RBY going on the virtual console. In XY: you can get Kanto starters who have mega evolutions, Lapras is given you to by some guy, a Snorelax is blocking the road which requires a pokeflute, Mewtwo is found in a dungeon only available after pokemon league and the legendary birds are found. Areas such as the forest and powerplant are similar to the ones in Kanto. So a Kanto gen 6 game would be pointless due to these things already been in a game.

Why? Worked pretty fine in Gold and Silver.

Yeah but the pokemon levels and other flaws were because of the two regions.

By the way, do we have a release year confirmed for the NX?

Not yet. 2016 seems likely, but Nintendo has been almost as silent as Game Freak on just what the NX is (they did say they would talk about it this year though, so it probably isn't coming later than 2017).

Honestly.....

I want Gamefreak to have their sh** together when the NX is out. If that means they gotta extend gen 6 until 2017, do it. We have gone too far with waiting for pokemon games to arrive on the next generation hardware (DS was '04, D&P were '06/7; 3DS was '11, X&Y were '13)

I want a nice solid beginning set of games for the next gen. Why not release a few more games on the sparkly nice XY engine that they spent years on? The graphical quality the games are at now is good and someone already mentioned ORAS looks better than XY, so even another XY engine game could look stunning.

That said...maybe I'll be surprised. Maybe the dev kits for NX have been out for a while now and GameFreak has significant steps already through the door for a close to console launch generation launch for the alleged '16 end of year release.

Bollocks. That was just from people who didn't like grinding. Keep the updated EXP Share, and it'll be easy mode.
the leveling curve does present a problem in two region games: you're either going to end absurdly high with little room for any other post-game content (re: hypothetically a, Red-like battle would essentially have to be all 100s), or you're going to end absurdly low with massive increases in the post-game. that's not the only problem with two region games though, you have the issue of making the two regions feel distinct and independent, while still being able to explain why there's a connection between the two (ie., why the PC would have to go there), and without making them feel repetitive.

That Superbowl trailer is SO hype. I love it.

It's really different to the usual adverts they do, which are kinda cringeworthy (like the ORAS adverts) but this felt more broad, and less childish. The inspirational message behind it all was really nice too.

20 years, oh man. It's a bit emotional for me, really.

and i still doubt it would happen. i wouldn't be against it, i'm just doubtful.
And so am I, but it makes a lot of sense for the anniversary. A lot of people would love to compare VC Kanto with 3DS Kanto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom