• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the same way that

Rayquaza + Dragon Ascent = Mega Rayquaza

my money is still on

Zygarde + Thousand Waves = Mega Zygarde X
Zygarde + Thousand Arrows = Mega Zygarde Y

The X Y thing can be changed for whatever, but it seems fitting with Xerneas and Yveltal. Or maybe it will end up as a Primal.

If the formes do end up being Mega X and Y, I wonder if they could pull off two 3rd versions. If they're gonna go back to Kalos, I would prefer them to fix XY the leave it incomplete and just give us a sequel. Its what I'm expecting, no sequels. Basically what I want is:
-Expand the region with a strong post league Zeta episode. Instead of trekking through the region, introduce new towns and routes, equivalent to NUnova. Connect the plot to Hoenn, expand on Hoopa and its rings, just an overall conclusion and completion of the plot. An X2Y2 with all this but XY lacking them would make no sense.
-Expnasions on the gameplay, like making the bike race available, introduce soaring to Kalos, and perhaps excuse the lack of BF in ORAS with the Chateleines opening up the same thing in Kiloude.
-Improve the framerate and graphics. If you play the game on the N3DS you can have free control of the camera, the IQ of the textures improve, and AA is bumped up. Also introduce in-game miiverse features, like perhaps medal milestones unlock stamps for use.
-Little bonuses, like the idea of the plants holding forme boosters for Volcanion.

If we get this then X2Y2 or some sort of straight up Z version I'll be fine. By straight up Z, I mean thatt my idea for ZXZY is that the important Z stuff are treated as post league content and not tacked in to the core experience of the main versions like emerald and platinum.

Masuda did mention about wanting to surprise players, so I'm betting on a prequel, which has never been done before. A prequel series when AZ was the king, or Zinnia's past could be a good place. Zygarde and Eternal Floette will be explored then.

I'm not quite sure if this has been suggested yet, but I think it would be interesting if we got a game that at some point during the climax, we travel back in time to the Kalos War. Maybe to try and prevent AZ from using the weapon or something like that. Or, the new Team tries to do "good" by going back in time to prevent AZ from using the weapon and you have to stop them, because their actions may ultimately have serious repercussions in the present-day timeline.

I'm torn between DLC, a sequel or third version of XY, or even a remake of the FireRed LeafGreen Games.

I'm torn between DLC, a sequel or third version of XY, or even a remake of the FireRed LeafGreen Games.

DLC is unlikely, Zygarde should get it's hidden moves in a game with it as mascot. Remakes of Kanto are not happening, I am tired of hearing this prediction. A sequel/third version of X/Y is the most likely with Gen 7 coming second.

DLC is unlikely, Zygarde should get it's hidden moves in a game with it as mascot. Remakes of Kanto are not happening, I am tired of hearing this prediction. A sequel/third version of X/Y is the most likely with Gen 7 coming second.
I dont think we know whether Kanto remakes are happening or not just yet. Its a prediction that I feel cant be ruled out due to the upcoming 20th anniversary of Pokemon Red and Green, I feel we should keep an open mind about what may happen, of course they also may not happen. I feel like the third game to X/Y is the most likely at this point, followed by Gen 7, I feel like Red/Green remakes are possible as a special 20th anniversary project, but who knows, they could do something different for that too.

Since some of you are assuming that the next generation will be released for the NX's launch in 2017, I think that we should discuss anime's pacing. It's just been confirmed that XY074 will be the Laverre gym episode, which means that the gap between the gyms has decreased to 7 episodes (the previous gap being 9 episodes and the one before that 14). I assume that the next two gaps will be longer, but even if they're 14 episodes each, that only brings us to the very end of 2015. If the XY series lasted two more years, what would the content even be about? Even the Mega Evolution mini series is said to be approaching its climax, which should also mean that Lysandre's resolution isn't too far off.

Kanto and Unova were followed by filler sagas, but those only lasted around 35 episodes each (I'm counting Episode N and Decolore Islands together). The Battle Frontier saga lasted 60 episodes, but it had the advantage of being based on a brand new post-game sidequest from the games. Since then, the anime has basically ignored the post-game battle facilities (the Sinnoh Battle Frontier and World Tournament). Why would this suddenly change? Especially with Masuda dismissing the Battle Frontier as a feature that wouldn't interest the target audience. Even if the Hoenn Battle Frontier ended up being used for a Kalos game as some people are assuming, I'm sure that Ash wouldn't retread a quest he completed 10 years ago.

It really doesn't make that the anime would be going at this pace if the next generation weren't on the horizon. Of course, the real argument at hand is that Game Freak are unlikely to release a new generation for the NX's launch when they probably won't have a development kit yet more than a year in advance, and even Nintendo's priority for 2016 is strong software to drive the New 3DS' sales.

Since some of you are assuming that the next generation will be released for the NX's launch in 2017, I think that we should discuss anime's pacing. It's just been confirmed that XY074 will be the Laverre gym episode, which means that the gap between the gyms has decreased to 7 episodes (the previous gap being 9 episodes and the one before that 14). I assume that the next two gaps will be longer, but even if they're 14 episodes each, that only brings us to the very end of 2015. If the XY series lasted two more years, what would the content even be about? Even the Mega Evolution mini series is said to be approaching its climax, which should also mean that Lysandre's resolution isn't too far off.

Kanto and Unova were followed by filler sagas, but those only lasted around 35 episodes each (I'm counting Episode N and Decolore Islands together). The Battle Frontier saga lasted 60 episodes, but it had the advantage of being based on a brand new post-game sidequest from the games. Since then, the anime has basically ignored the post-game battle facilities (the Sinnoh Battle Frontier and World Tournament). Why would this suddenly change? Especially with Masuda dismissing the Battle Frontier as a feature that wouldn't interest the target audience. Even if the Hoenn Battle Frontier ended up being used for a Kalos game as some people are assuming, I'm sure that Ash wouldn't retread a quest he completed 10 years ago.

It really doesn't make that the anime would be going at this pace if the next generation weren't on the horizon. Of course, the real argument at hand is that Game Freak are unlikely to release a new generation for the NX's launch when they probably won't have a development kit yet more than a year in advance, and even Nintendo's priority for 2016 is strong software to drive the New 3DS' sales.

I was just thinking of this when I seen that on Serebii this morning. I completely forgot about the anime's pacing, since I don't keep up with the anime much anymore. IIRC, Laverre's Gym is the 6th Gym, which means he's only got two Gyms left after next month in the Japanese dub. This makes me wonder if they may announce a new game or games either next month or in June-July. If not, I wonder what kind of episodes they would be making post-League to stall for time until the next installment of games comes out.

I was just thinking of this when I seen that on Serebii this morning. I completely forgot about the anime's pacing, since I don't keep up with the anime much anymore. IIRC, Laverre's Gym is the 6th Gym, which means he's only got two Gyms left after next month in the Japanese dub. This makes me wonder if they may announce a new game or games either next month or in June-July. If not, I wonder what kind of episodes they would be making post-League to stall for time until the next installment of games comes out.

I thought they'd do Zinnia's arc in a way like N or do a crossover arc between the tv series and the mega evolution specials. Alain even appeared just recently in Sycamore's flashback - it would be a huge disappointment if there wasn't a battle between Ash and Alain before XY is over.

I'd really not see a filler arc, though. Can't there be something from the games that can provide a decent amount of episodes - or would we have to wait for a new game?

If not, I wonder what kind of episodes they would be making post-League to stall for time until the next installment of games comes out.
If a new game is released in March 2016, they won't need to announce it before September even if it is a new generation. Either way, the Kalos League (not just the badge quest) may very well be wrapped up by March, but probably not before then.

Very surprised to see people predicting Gen 7 as early as 2016. when this gen only debuted at the end of 2013.

I like how everytime someone mentions Gen 1 remakes, Alexander confidently says its not happening, as a fact. Please Alex let us know what inside info you have.

The way I see it, we have confirmation that there is space for 2 more games in Gen 6, according to the code.

Now all the possible options are

Pokemon Z
Pokemon ZX & ZY
Pokemon Gen1remake (Shining Yellow???)
2x Gen 7

Now as I said above I don't think we will have Gen 7 it's way too early. People say the anime is coming to an end, but even after Ash gets his 6th badge we don't know how long the wait will be to 7 and 8, and there's also no doubt going to be a small arc with Xerneas and Yveltal and then Ash training for the league, then competing in the league, and possibly some filler after. That seems like quite enough to be getting on with, and I can't see Gen 7 being directly tradeable with Gen 6, even if it was possible in Gen 2 with Gen 1.

I think the next film after this Hoopa one has to feature Zygarde and Volcanion. I'm already trying to rack my brains to think what the link will be. Though they are often pretty obscure (no real link between Giratina and Shaymin, and that part about how the Muskedeers fight Kyurem just felt so forced) Just like Giratina and Kyurem before it, I'm sure Zygarde will be showing off a new forme/formes and these will be featured in the most recent game/games.

Therefore I think we can move, Z, ZX, and ZY into the more likely column.

Which then leaves me with the Gen 1 remake undiscussed.
Are Nintendo/Game Freak really going to miss an opportunity as big as the 20th anniversary of one of their main 3 franchises, (Pokemon is probably 2nd biggest after Mario, and just ahead of Zelda) Nintendo like remakes they are simple and easy to do. People seem to be arguing that the Gen 1 stuff in XY is somehow disproof towards a remake, however just like all the hints in DPPt about HGSS and XY about ORAS (which people always try and dismiss) I think these are actually hints towards a remake. All the Pseudos apart from the newest and Dragonite have a Mega, why skip Dragonite which is hugely popular? Not to mention, the gap between FRLG and RB, is not as big as the gap between FRLG and the next Gen 1 remake. It's been over a decade since we played through the main Kanto story. I think a return is overdue and the 20th anniversary is a perfect excuse, not to mention how hard it is to get a Mew, and ORAS showed that Nintendo can make previous event legendaries actually capturable through normal gameplay. Why did they do this. Has there actually been any Mew event for Gen 6 yet? In Japan there was that card thing where you buy cards and get codes for cute event legends, Mew was excluded.

Also the 20th anniversary is the Game anniversary but I'm sure they'd want to celebrate the whole franchise, including the Anime, and Pika, is of course the mascot of the entire franchise, I can well see his face getting slapped on the new game, most likely a yellow remake.

So we can be certain of a return to Kalos I think, but also as much as some people say they are sick of Kanto/Gen 1. I really can't see Nintendo/Game Freak missing out on the opportunity, especially when they are cash strapped atm, for a ready made big money spinner/celebration of one of their biggest franchises. And a return to where it all started which is long overdue.

Many have commented how they are being quiet lately, and not revealing the new game, likely because as a few others predicted they are waiting til later in 2015 to announce the early 2016 release.

Just like the small gap between FRLG and Emerald, I believe the final Gen 6, a return to Kalos could be in the usual late slot of October/November, allowing them to start Gen 7 in 2017, meaning Gen 6 would have lasted about 3 to 4 years which seems right to me.

Very surprised to see people predicting Gen 7 as early as 2016. when this gen only debuted at the end of 2013.
3 years isn't too short, as evidenced by the previous generation and Generation II before it. In fact, those generations only lasted 2.5 years outside Japan.

The way I see it, we have confirmation that there is space for 2 more games in Gen 6, according to the code.
That isn't confirmation of anything, as people have discussed before. For the record, there are as many as 9 unused game IDs from previous generations.

Also, the coding just implies that two more versions will be associated with the blue pentagon. I don't see why Generation VII would necessarily dispense with the blue pentagon, which is really just a way to reduce reliance on DS hacking.

Now as I said above I don't think we will have Gen 7 it's way too early. People say the anime is coming to an end, but even after Ash gets his 6th badge we don't know how long the wait will be to 7 and 8, and there's also no doubt going to be a small arc with Xerneas and Yveltal and then Ash training for the league, then competing in the league, and possibly some filler after.
There would have to be quite some padding just to fill 2016. What about the better part of 2017?

Last edited:
Game Freak doesn't remake remakes, so Kanto remakes are out of the question. Besides we can go to Kanto in HGSS which is on DS system. Remakes of sinnoh unlikely as we can play the sinnoh region games on all models of the 3DS. It is either a third version, sequels or Gen 7. Kanto remakes are a delusion.

Game Freak doesn't remake remakes, so Kanto remakes are out of the question. Besides we can go to Kanto in HGSS which is on DS system. Remakes of sinnoh unlikely as we can play the sinnoh region games on all models of the 3DS. It is either a third version, sequels or Gen 7. Kanto remakes are a delusion.

Everytime you post you try and sound like you are working for Game Freak. Prior to 2004 you could say FRLG won't happen it's out of the question Game Freak doesn't remake games. Kanto was in the previous Gen (gen 2) why would they remake it in Gen 3?

You obviously don't want the remakes for whatever reason, and I obviously do. The thing about Game Freak however, is you can't really predict them. No one is in any position to categorically rule anything out.

Playing through the Kanto post game in HGSS is not the same as playing the main Kanto story, that magical wonderful story that spawned a whole multi million, 20 years + global franchise. To anyone who only owns anything newer than a DSi, that story is unplayable. Sinnoh on the other hand is playable still. We haven't played through this Kanto story since 2004, and the 20th anniversary is right around the corner. Now you may be right, maybe they won't do a remake, but there's no way you can rule it out.

Moving on, to a general point, I am always struck by the resistance their is in the fanbase towards remakes. I remember when FRLG first came out, people said, what's the point its the same as Red/Blue. Then throughout DPPt and the DP series, there was a ton of clues and hints towards GS remakes, and again people said, no these hints are nothing they are just coincidence, GS remakes won't happen, they only did FRLG to help fill in the dex, you can now get all the Pokemon, you don't need a GS remake, then the remakes happened and all those people went quiet.

Then when speculation began growing about RS remakes, again people were like no all those hints and clues are just coincidence, they don't mean anything, oh and they did FRLG and HGSS because those games arent connectable to the current generation, but RSE is, we don't need RSemakes, but then, ORAS came a long.

It's been 11 years since we played through the main Kanto story, let's just think about that for a moment.

I genuinely think they're going to remake the Kanto region. There's no reason not to. I don't think the world is ready for it just yet, though.

Wouldn't it be cool if they completed the Eevee family in Gen 7 (with the Dragon Eevee) and then when they do Kanto remakes we can have Mega Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon? :] Then we could have a whole BUNCH of remakes to look forward to where the rest of the Eevees get Megas.

I genuinely think they're going to remake the Kanto region. There's no reason not to. I don't think the world is ready for it just yet, though.

I agree they will definitely happen one day, I accept they might not be in Gen 6 but yes I think the big main flagship story that launched the whole franchise will definitely be revisited one day.

As for not being ready for it yet, in Jan 2016, it will have been 12 years since we played the main Kanto story, I think that's enough time, there's a whole new generation of players now. Also the gap between RG and FRLG was only 8 years.

One thing that needs to be kept in mind is a lot of people at this point may not have their original RB games or FRLG and a Game Boy Advance to play them with. They may have sold them/gotten rid of them, etc. Those games are harder to find now than they used to be. A new Kanto remake would bring Kanto to a lot of new players who dont have access to these older games and the system to play them on. Think of all the kids that probably started with ORAS, they may not have known about the original Hoenn games at all much less be able to find them. Remember that Pokemon is aimed at kids who may not have been around when those older games were new. Remakes are a way of bringing that to them and also for older fans to enjoy the experience of playing through the region they may have started playing with updated features and graphics so it feels fresh and new. That itself is a reason why they might be remade for the 20th anniversary.

Game Freak didn't make remakes full stop before FRLG, yet now we have those as well as Gen II and III remakes. I'm sure that GF aren't afraid of breaking formulas in their series just as they weren't when they released FRLG as their first set of remakes in 2004. There's a first time for everything - another example being releasing B2W2 (sequels) as the 'third version' in Gen V. Who saw those coming? I think that DP remakes in Gen VI are out of the equation, but I remain open to the possibility of a new adventure set in Kanto as long as it is worthwhile to those of us who have played through the Gen I and Gen III Kanto games.

The one factor making me continue to question the possibility of new games in this generation is that every non-Mythical Pokemon is already obtainable between XY and ORAS. A further Gen VI adventure would need more selling points than ever before to make up for this, and I can't imagine that another wave of new Megas alone would suffice. I wonder if Game Freak will take the unprecedented step of releasing a Kalos game that introduces a second set of new Gen VI Pokemon along with the expected Zygarde forme(s). I think new Pokemon are unlikely to happen, yet the small number of Pokemon introduced in XY and a lack of traditional legendary sub-trio (e.g. Birds, Beasts, Regis) give me a suspicion that it wouldn't be an impossibility. Much of this I suppose depends on whether Game Freak intended on their Mega Pokemon creations taking up slots that would normally be taken up by designs for brand new species. Regardless of this, I think I would prefer a XY v2 DLC patch that improves and expands on the current adventure, while opening up more post-game elements but I appreciate that this is real pie in the sky thinking.

No, I think we are done with remakes for now. Kanto has a not so good main story, I like plots that involves legends and the plot of Team rocket was terrible. The 20th anniversary is coming up but we should jump the gun on Kanto remakes. Besides Zygarde needs the attention at the moment, plus Kalos is like Kanto 2.0. I stand by my belief that Kanto isn't getting remade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom