• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I think we are done with remakes for now. Kanto has a not so good main story, I like plots that involves legends and the plot of Team rocket was terrible. The 20th anniversary is coming up but we should jump the gun on Kanto remakes. Besides Zygarde needs the attention at the moment, plus Kalos is like Kanto 2.0. I stand by my belief that Kanto isn't getting remade.

A plot doesn't need legendaries to be good. Hell, the legendaries weren't what made BW1's story the best one in the series, it's because of other elements like good characterization and game changing plot twists.

If anything they have a tendency to over-rely on using legendaries in the plots, to the point where it becomes stale having every game revolve around a team wanting to abuse this revived/restored legendary for some nefarious plan. Boring.

One thing that needs to be kept in mind is a lot of people at this point may not have their original RB games or FRLG and a Game Boy Advance to play them with. They may have sold them/gotten rid of them, etc. Those games are harder to find now than they used to be. A new Kanto remake would bring Kanto to a lot of new players who dont have access to these older games and the system to play them on. Think of all the kids that probably started with ORAS, they may not have known about the original Hoenn games at all much less be able to find them. Remember that Pokemon is aimed at kids who may not have been around when those older games were new. Remakes are a way of bringing that to them and also for older fans to enjoy the experience of playing through the region they may have started playing with updated features and graphics so it feels fresh and new. That itself is a reason why they might be remade for the 20th anniversary.

But then what was the point of all the Kanto hype in Gen6? Why did they make Pokemon Origins? Why did they have Sycamore give out Kanto starters in the Kalos region? Why was Mega Charizard being over-advertised and over-promoted to the point of irritation during Gen6, as well as Mewtwo? What was reason for all that when they could have saved it all for the 20th anniversary Kanto revisit? Are they really expecting players to welcome Kanto after shoving so much Kanto in a region where Kalos was supposed to be the star?

One thing that needs to be kept in mind is a lot of people at this point may not have their original RB games or FRLG and a Game Boy Advance to play them with. They may have sold them/gotten rid of them, etc. Those games are harder to find now than they used to be. A new Kanto remake would bring Kanto to a lot of new players who dont have access to these older games and the system to play them on. Think of all the kids that probably started with ORAS, they may not have known about the original Hoenn games at all much less be able to find them. Remember that Pokemon is aimed at kids who may not have been around when those older games were new. Remakes are a way of bringing that to them and also for older fans to enjoy the experience of playing through the region they may have started playing with updated features and graphics so it feels fresh and new. That itself is a reason why they might be remade for the 20th anniversary.

But then what was the point of all the Kanto hype in Gen6? Why did they make Pokemon Origins? Why did they have Sycamore give out Kanto starters in the Kalos region? Why was Mega Charizard being over-advertised and over-promoted to the point of irritation during Gen6, as well as Mewtwo? What was reason for all that when they could have saved it all for the 20th anniversary Kanto revisit? Are they really expecting players to welcome Kanto after shoving so much Kanto in a region where Kalos was supposed to be the star?

But so many players have never experienced the main Kanto. If the DSI was your first console, you can't even play the main kanto storyline.

*Why did they make Pokemon Origins?
Why do they make any special? Also it served as an intro to Pokemon before the release of XY and for all those unaware of the Kanto story existence, and showcase Mega Charizard X. If anything it would wet the appetite of any young kid unaware of Main Kanto games to want to play through that story. Also if a Gen 1 remake were to happen in 2016, that would still be 2, maybe 3 years after Pokemon Origins aired.

Why did they have Sycamore give out Kanto starters in the Kalos region?
Same reason Birch gives out Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova starters? Also they were introducing the concept of Megas.

Why was Mega Charizard being over-advertised and over-promoted to the point of irritation during Gen6, as well as Mewtwo?
Well actually the Mega being over-advertised in my view was Mega Blaziken. Had no link to the story whatsoever, was just handed out, Mega stone attached and appeared everywhere and in all the artwork. However Mega Blaziken didn't stop them going forward with ORAS, despite a few saying (if RSemakes were happening they'd save it for Mega Blaziken)

Important Gen 1 Megas such as Dragonite haven't been revealed yet, and with Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross and Garchomp all receiving Megas I think we can assume the original Pseudo will get one too.

EDIT: I'm glad you brought up Pokemon Origins, as the Japanese logo had the same Red/Green scheme as the upcoming Mega Evolution Special 4. 1 was based off XY, 2 was based off ORAS (Red/Blue design) 3 was based off Emerald/Delta Episode (Green design) now what will the 4th one come after based off??? What games do we know of with a Red/Green colour scheme?

EDIT2: Got 2 and 3 the wrong way around

Last edited:
I can definitely see FR/LG remakes at some point. Even with all of the attention the first generation gets, I'm sure that they'd want kids unfamiliar with the original games to experience actually traveling through Kanto. Either remakes of remakes or going to with a more unexpected route of creating new games set in Kanto sounds quite possible to me for a 20th anniversary celebration. I don't think that those games are going to come out this year. Maybe next year, but for now, I'm still expecting some new games set in Kalos. I don't know if they'll go back to the traditional third version games or continue on with making sequels or go some different direction to surprise the fans, but I can see at least one more game set in Kalos before they move on to either FR/LG remakes or start off the next generation to tie in with the 20th anniversary instead.

Something to bear in mind: (spoiler alert)

We haven't seen Megaverse Kanto in the games yet. We got a taste of it in Origins. Who knows if GF would want to expand on that in a Kanto revisit.

As much as I want to see another Kalos game, I am hoping it's not a third version. I've always felt they were somewhat of a cheap cop-out. Sequel/something different pls.

We haven't seen Megaverse Kanto in the games yet. We got a taste of it in Origins. Who knows if GF would want to expand on that in a Kanto revisit.

As much as I want to see another Kalos game, I am hoping it's not a third version. I've always felt they were somewhat of a cheap cop-out. Sequel/something different pls.

I think what would be really cool and fitting in with Game Freak's intention to do something different, would be to have 1 Kalos revisit, make it a sequel, but there's a split path.
Just like in Emerald, at the end, your Mum asks if it was a Red or Blue Pokemon flying around to decide whether Latias or Latios flies around, they could do the 1 game as a sequel, but then at some point in the game, it splits off.

So in XY you are forced to capture your box legend, so we can assume that was canon. Now these 2 bring balance, so if one was caught that'd harm the eco system and be unbalanced. Enter Zygarde who protects the eco system and balance. There'd be someway of selecting whether your game was a sequel to X, or Y, perhaps through some memory link feature or even just asking an Emerald style question, "which Pokemon was used in the ultimate weapon 2 years ago, the giver of life, or the bringer of destruction etc"

But Zygarde is too weak to take them on, that's why someone, (Zinnia???) agrees to teach it either Thousand Waves, or Arrows depending on which legend needs to be caught. She could even say how a few years ago she saw that learning a move or something could trigger Mega Evos.

Also while in ORAS Zinnia was linked with the Green Dragon Rayquaza, it's quite possible she could also have a link with the Green Dragon Zygarde, heck they both have Z and if the game was Z well that'd fit in perfect.

Actually I never thought of it this way before but I do wonder if they're going to shut down Gen 6 completely as of ORAS. Maybe make Gen 7 exclusive to the New3DS? Why else make it possible to complete the Pokedex so soon?

Actually I never thought of it this way before but I do wonder if they're going to shut down Gen 6 completely as of ORAS. Maybe make Gen 7 exclusive to the New3DS? Why else make it possible to complete the Pokedex so soon?

No way that'd be crazy, there's still so much incomplete in Kalos, and Volcanion hasn't even been revealed yet. How could they start Gen 7 with the starters #722 #725 and #728 without revealing #721 first?

Also I don't think there is a possibility of only New Nintendo 3DS games. I think it's like the Gameboy Advance SP, and Gameboy Advance.

Last edited:

No way that'd be crazy, there's still so much incomplete in Kalos, and Volcanion hasn't even been revealed yet. How could they start Gen 7 with the starters #722 #725 and #728 without revealing #721 first?

Also I don't think there is a possibility of only New Nintendo 3DS games. I think it's like the Gameboy Advance SP, and Gameboy Advance.

You're right, but they could still give us Volcanion on XYORAS over the next year.

The new Xenoblade Chronicles is only for the New3DS, and it's expected that some future titles will also be.

Eh, whatever floats people's boats. I'm going to be extremely disappointed if it's the same old Team Rocket, same old Red and Green rivalry with a bunch of 'Smell ya!'s, the same old Marowak story, the same old Snorlax blocking the road, with the same old guy who dropped the lift key... The same old story with updated graphics and mega evolutions doesn't exactly sound appealing. A remake of a remake is going to be boring if they don't implement major changes or additions to the storyline and features.

Does it matter if we haven't seen Megaverse Kanto in the games? The chances of a remake of Firered/leafgreen is 0.01% We have no need to go back to Kanto, people who haven't been there can buy HGSS and do the post story. It is either the next Kalos installment or Gen 7 that is next.

I'd be up for a Kanto sequel, but not with...

1 ~ Their current mindset. Another Kanto game would have to do more for me since its older and we've been back multiple times, and I'm not sure I trust them on that front right now...
2 ~ It being so close to XY, which was loitered with Kanto callbacks.

Eh, whatever floats people's boats. I'm going to be extremely disappointed if it's the same old Team Rocket, same old Red and Green rivalry with a bunch of 'Smell ya!'s, the same old Marowak story, the same old Snorlax blocking the road, with the same old guy who dropped the lift key... The same old story with updated graphics and mega evolutions doesn't exactly sound appealing. A remake of a remake is going to be boring if they don't implement major changes or additions to the storyline and features.

I wouldn't want R/B with a new coat of paint. One reason why I wouldn't mind remakes of remakes in this case is because of how dull FR/LG were for me. They were basically R/B with only a few new features added in, which were fun at first, but they were one of the few games in which I didn't raise my teams to level one hundred partly due to how there was little to do after the E4. If we do get remakes of those games again, I want them to put in more significant changes to the storyline and/or provide a more appealing post-storyline content along the lines of what HG/SS or at least OR/AS. Somehow incorporating Mega Evolution to the storyline as they did with OR/AS might help. Brand new games that just happen to be set in that region might have more significant changes than remakes of remakes would, but I don't know if they'd go that route over using the original storyline with some significant changes. Either way, I'd be in favor of more significant changes to the storyline instead of seeing it with just a new coat of paint on it.

Okay, first of all, I would like to explain some things we already know about.

1. In Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, you can catch all the Pokémon that cannot be found in X or Y.
2. Every Pokémon can be obtained, except for every other event legendary apart from Deoxys.
3. We know we can already obtain one of each starter Pokémon in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
4. Pokémon X and Pokémon Y have only 72 new Pokémon introduced, which is the lowest than any other generation.
5. The Pokémon anime has already reached the point in where Ash has obtained the Voltage Badge and will very soon be obtaining the Fairy Badge from Valerie in only 4 episodes after.
6. There are hints on a new region from the man who gives the player the strange souvenir.
7. The logo for Mega Evolution Special IV has a Red and Green colour.
8. Unbound Hoopa will be revealed soon, either in a month or two.
9. X and Y, as well as OR and AS have coding in which has the two unused moves, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves.
10. The game origin values of 28 and 29 exist in all the Generation VI games, completely unused.
11. When Junichi Masuda said "Now is a good time to make them. Instead of doing direct sequels to X/Y we're tying the games in unique ways." He was referring to when they were developing OR/AS, because OR/AS is basically Ruby/Sapphire tied with X/Y. Therefore he did not rule out the possibilities of sequels in future titles.
12. Junichi Masuda did say that him and his team develop games that people least speculate about, in other words... since there's huge speculation about X/Y sequels or a Pokémon Z, those are quite unlikely to happen for instance.
13. Team Flare has not made their debut in the anime yet, apart from Lysandre in the Mega Evolution Specials.

Now looking at all of this, most of things can already point out that we're pretty much heading towards Generation VII games as the next Pokémon games, yes Generation VI is well and truly over. And why is that? It's because all the Pokémon that can't be obtained in X/Y can already be caught in OR/AS, which means the only way to introduce Pokémon that aren't obtainable yet... is to create a new generation with brand new Pokémon.

Also, the Pokémon the Series: XY anime is already passed it's halfway point way back when Ash obtained the Plant Badge. There's only just a matter of time before Ash gets the last badge from Wulfric in Snowbelle City, which I'd say is around the time of September or October. Also, we've got a huge saga of Team Flare and Lysandre as well that would quite possibly be happening after Ash loses in the Top 4 in the Conference in the Kalos region, and after the Mega Evolution Special IV as well. One in which involves making the Ultimate Weapon, just as he did in the games, and trying to use Yveltal's power. Ash has to save Yveltal and prevent the Ultimate Weapon from gaining full power, in which in the end... buries the secret HQ, just as it does in the games. And as I speculate... there's actually a future Team Flare and a present day Team Flare. The ones in the future want to prevent history from ever being changed, so that the whole world can become exactly as what the future is like. While the present day Team Flare is trying to develop the Ultimate Weapon. And as it turns out... the three Malamar belong to the future Xerosic, where as the present day Xerosic only has one. When Ash, his friends and Zinnia all stop the present day Lysandre from performing his plan, this eliminates the fiery and lava filled future that the future Team Flare lives in, so then the future Team Flare, including Xerosic's three Malamar fade away as history has been changed and... so does Zinnia. Since Zinnia is from the future in the anime. She tells Ash and his friends that she believes in them all and says her goodbyes before she fades away completely, everyone cries and then Ash says "Thank you, Zinnia... for helping us all". AZ comes along and says "No need to worry, everyone now has a peaceful future to live in, all thanks to you all. I will continue living on, I have been living for over 3,000 years." Then after the Team Flare saga, around before the month in which the new games release, Ash and Serena say goodbye to Clemont and Bonnie, as Ash and Serena head to Couriway Town to catch the Bullet Train to the new region. Ash sends all of his new Pokémon to Professor Oak, and keeps Pikachu with him, as he has done in the previous adventures. While Serena keeps all three of her Pokémon, including her Delphox. Serena's Delphox is very closely bonded to Serena and work as a team. And as they all travel on the train to the new region and a whole new series begins!

And what? Red and Green remakes? Really? Anyone that got a Nintendo DSi as their first handheld would've easily been able to obtain HeartGold/SoulSilver Version at the time, along with Black/White Version or even Black Version 2/White Version 2. The Kanto-only games didn't have much in the way of things, they were too bland and too basic. FireRed/LeafGreen Version introduced new stuff like the Sevii Islands, but they could've done a lot more than that back in those days. There was no epic stuff that Team Rocket did in the Generation I games or even in it's remakes, only just taking over the Silph Co. Building. The same thing can also be said for Gold/Silver Version and their remakes, only that Team Rocket did more than just take over a building, they occupied the Slowpoke Well and made a frequency to drive the Pokémon insane in the Lake of Rage. Where as in Ruby/Sapphire Version and other Generations after those games, the newer villainous teams in those games did even more and tried to take control of a legendary Pokémon and do something to damage the region. Developing a game that wouldn't have anything exciting or amazing in it is definitely not something that Junichi Masuda or his team would be doing. Especially if it lacks a storyline. Not saying that they won't remake Red and Green again in the future, but if they ever did... they would have to have some storyline on the same level as Gold/Silver did, not to also mention they'd also have to allow the player to travel to the Johto Region as well.

Do you know what we're more likely to get? Generation VII games that will be released on the 20th anniversary of Pokémon Red and Green's release. And the pair of Generation VII games won't have Legendary Pokémon as their mascot, instead... it'll be the mega evolutions of the new Generation VII starters. Not to also mention, there'll be a huge amount of new mega evolutions, more than what X/Y or even OR/AS made combined. This will include every mega evolution to each starter, mega evolutions to some other Pokémon that need one as well. Some Generation VI and VII mega evolutions as well. And I speculate that there will be 79 new Pokémon in this new region, including the new event legendary Pokémon as well (which I'd assume there would be only two event legendaries). Which is slightly more than what Generation VI introduced (which was 72 new Pokémon). This will be enough to reach to #800 on the National Pokédex, so it can open the way towards Generation VIII for it's Pokédex to be in line with that.

And I'm sure it will have several elements that Red and Green had, especially it's name will also be something that would make you think of those colours as well. It's storyline would be focusing on simplicity, which is basically obtaining all 8 gym badges, stopping the evil team from trying to take control of the entire new region you're in, catching a trio of new legendary along the way and stuff like that. Then after completing the main quest of becoming Pokémon League Champion, it goes onto a brand new adventure in something which I speculate as "Episode Zeta", in which the player travels to the Kalos Region to stop the new villainous team from using the power of the captured Xerneas/Yveltal that they have (depending on the version you're playing). The player then has to awaken Zygarde, hidden in the new region, since it takes place before X/Y. And the player uses a special item (in which is different depending on the version you're playing) to do Primal Reversion of Zygarde into either Primal Zygarde X or Primal Zygarde Y. Then there's a final battle against the new team's boss, and then we see the ending credits once again.

Also, another thing. There's a possibility that the new games could also introduce not just one, but two new regions. One in which is just half the size of the Kalos Region, one in which is so small, it can only fit two Routes, Victory Road and the Pokémon League. The region in which the player starts in doesn't have a Pokémon League, so the player has to travel to that small island region after obtaining 8 gym badges. Then the player can obtain the other 8 gym badges in the Kalos Region and then return to the island region with the Pokémon League and face against an even stronger Elite Four and Champion. But of course, there's a catch, there's no Pokémon League in the Kalos Region two years before the events in X/Y, so it gives a whole new perspective of gameplay in which contains elements from nearly all generations of Pokémon.

I also speculate that the controls for the new games will be much more improved as well as many other things:

1. The player can now move around freely, the player is no longer limited to squares, it feels more like moving around in Lumiose City in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.
2. Since these two new games will be exclusive to New Nintendo 3DS, it means there's also the ability to move the camera around using the C stick, for the first time ever in a Pokémon game.
3. There's also slightly improved graphics and bigger maps.
4. The games will use full stereoscopic 3D in every place, thanks to the New 3DS processing capability. You can use it anywhere (even in hoard, double or triple battles), it is no longer limited to certain places and won't slow down the game.
5. The games will use a slightly higher frame rate than X/Y/OR/AS. X/Y/OR/AS used around 30fps, the two new games will use 40fps.
6. The in game models use a similar collision and movement method as what Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness used, which is that it's from any angle, not just North, South, West, East, North-West, North-East, South-West, South-East. This is because Generation VII games no longer use the grid-like movement, unlike Generation VI.
7. Just like Generation VI, the player can run around at the very start of the game by holding down B button, but the player can also walk slowly by moving the Circle Pad slightly. And the player also walks more in a realistic kind of way.
8. The routes in the game aren't square-like, unlike Generation VI games. They're all more round, curved and smooth, especially the beaches, lakes, mountains and the grassy hills in which the player can't move into.
9. During battles, the trainers can be seen behind their Pokémon, making it look more like an actual Pokémon battle.
10. During battles, there are no longer any round pads below the Pokémon. The battle field has more textures and the Pokémon just battle on the ground without any round pads below them. Giving it a more realistic feel to it.
11. Every character in the game, whenever it's a Pokémon or human, they no longer use separate models for the overworld and battles. Instead, it uses the same models in battles and in the overworld as well. Which means the human characters look more taller and skinny than the overworld models in Generation VI. Which it once again makes it look more realistic.
12. The new games will still use the outline for every model, so it can look more anime-ish.
13. Zygarde will get two new formes, which are Primal Reversions of Zygarde.
14. The Pokédex layout will be quite similar to X/Y in which it uses separate areas for showing different Pokémon for them, as well as having a National Pokédex later on. But instead, it uses one for the new region, one for the other new region, and one for the Kalos Region.
15. The games can also connect to players in which play Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire. Players can chat, trade and battle between players with Generation VI games, but there is a catch though... you can't trade or battle using new Pokémon, Pokémon with new items (such as new mega stones), Pokémon with new moves or Pokémon with a brand new ability or hidden ability.
16. Every function from the PSS remains in the new games, on a totally new device in which has other functions apart from it's play function (which contains PSS, Pokémon Amie and Super Training).
17. All trainers in the games during battle will display their model. Unlike Generation VI in which only showed their artwork and had only a few showing their models during battle.

Last edited:
To clear things up I personally believe gen 6 still has a good 1 and a half years left, with a new game in February. But lets say gen 7 does happen, or kanto games lead gen 7. Then why not sequels? If anything, Kanto happening might as well be treated as gen 7 proper. Origibs and all the Kalos parallels were introduced as groundwork to familirize new fans to whst the original games had, because sequels will be absolutely different. A slew of new Pokemon who migrated to Kanto. New box legendaries and a trio tied to a new plot. Takes place in tandem to XY mostly, except for the post game, which is in Kalos. Gen 7 literally can be the start of a new series, with Kanto at the helm. XY/ORAS are just establishing a plot to the new direction, with future remakes as backstory. Sort of like a grand re-establishment, but much more important and central to the series then Unova. Going foward by going to where it all started, that's the only way I would accept games in the Kanto region.

To clear things up I personally believe gen 6 still has a good 1 and a half years left, with a new game in February.
They wouldn't release a Generation VI game in February and then the next generation later that year. They would have to release the former this year, but there is no evidence of that being the plan.

If anything, Kanto happening might as well be treated as gen 7 proper. Origibs and all the Kalos parallels were introduced as groundwork to familirize new fans to whst the original games had, because sequels will be absolutely different. A slew of new Pokemon who migrated to Kanto. New box legendaries and a trio tied to a new plot. Takes place in tandem to XY mostly, except for the post game, which is in Kalos. Gen 7 literally can be the start of a new series, with Kanto at the helm.
The Strange Souvenir implies that a new region has been in the making since 2013, and introducing new Pokémon there would make much more sense than in any existing region. I'm in favor of Kanto sequels, but I only see them being released as the secondary Generation VII games rather than the initial versions.

I agree. If we REALLY must revisit Kanto (I'd rather not go back at all, but hey) let there be many, many, many changes. Not only aesthetically with towns/locations changing + new ones added, but also the characters + plot. But after all the Kanto throwbacks they shoved in XY, I have little interest right now.

I wouldn't really mind seeing Team Rocket again if it came down to it, though, because as villains they have a nice simplicity - going around stealing, trying to make money, etc - instead of some stupid, dramatic, world-destroying scenario like the other teams that came after. They're hardly the most original villains, but at least it makes them somewhat believable and not completely over the top in theatrics like the others. It was also nice how they tied into the plot without it resulting in a climax with them + a legendary.

8. Unbound Hoopa will be revealed soon, either in a month or two.

It was revealed earlier in the week.

1. The player can now move around freely, the player is no longer limited to squares, it feels more like moving around in Lumiose City in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.

Guessing you haven't played ORAS? There's free movement in ORAS, likely because they ditched the roller skates.

Last edited:
Okay, first of all, I would like to explain some things we already know about.

This is the best theory I've ever heard. Also it matches Sugimori's talk when he said he wants to revert to simplicity for gen 7.

This is the best theory I've ever heard. Also it matches Sugimori's talk when he said he wants to revert to simplicity for gen 7.
I really don't see how. The game Platinum Lucario described sounds a lot like XY only with Kalos as a post-game region. I doubt that Sugimori had an abundance of Mega Evolutions in mind when he mentioned simplicity, either. It doesn't help that the Strange Souvenir region is specifically said to be far from Kalos.

Also, if an "Episode Zeta" takes place in a new region (which is certainly possible), I don't see the point of revisiting Kalos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom