• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega evolutions, form changes/differences and primals don't count as new pokemon.

Factually, indeed they are not, but functionally, it takes more or less the same amount of time and thought to create and design them as it does standard Pokémon. So from a production standpoint, they would be "new" Pokémon, because there is very little difference in how the two are made. Similarly, they also marketed the Black and White Kyurem Formes as "new Pokémon" back before those games came out.

Mega evolutions, form changes/differences and primals don't count as new pokemon.

Factually, indeed they are not, but functionally, it takes more or less the same amount of time and thought to create and design them as it does standard Pokémon. So from a production standpoint, they would be "new" Pokémon, because there is very little difference in how the two are made. Similarly, they also marketed the Black and White Kyurem Formes as "new Pokémon" back before those games came out.

Except this is completely wrong. Form differences are nothing like new Pokémon. Palette swaps or minor design alterations do not take "more or less the same amount of time and thought to create", especially regarding forms with the most minute differences, like male and female Unfezant (really?), Aegislash's two stances, or Vivillon's patterns.

I admit, however, that there is an argument for Megas of old Pokémon to be developed in lieu of completely new Pokémon. I'm still not convinced that they're a good idea at all, but the argument could be made.

Except this is completely wrong. Form differences are nothing like new Pokémon. Palette swaps or minor design alterations do not take "more or less the same amount of time and thought to create", especially regarding forms with the most minute differences, like male and female Unfezant (really?), Aegislash's two stances, or Vivillon's patterns.

I suppose I could have been clearer; I was speaking primarily about Mega Evolutions. They do change drastically in design, and of course, it's not just about looking different. They also have to consider stat distribution, balance factors, optimal typing, at what point to make it accessible within the game, and some flavor information to go with it. The only big things that are really missing are movepools and Pokédex entries.

There was a small curiosity from the aftermath of the Direct - all Gen VI main games got an update, stating it was to address bug fixes and improve the game experience. While this isn't surprising as OR/AS only came out 5 month ago, I'm surprised that it was rolled out for X/Y as well, especially considering how Game Freak shunned X/Y in terms of a compatibility update when OR/AS were released.
I wouldnt read much into it, the games are still two halves of a whole. Still though, that whole is pretty empty in some places...

I'm sure next year would be the release year of the 7th generation.
When you speak about Pokemon XY, you talk about the MegaEvolutions, the war in Kalos, the 3DS, clothes, but you don't really talk about the new pokémon. It's as if Mega Evolutions are the sixth generation. That's why I think Game freak will release a 7th generation very soon, because the sixth generation pokemon were just minors details about Pokemon XY.
Look at the anime, the characters's team are empty, they can't do any further promotion.
As far as i'm concerned, I think the 7th Generation will feature 2 Zygarde as mascots, they will break the pattern again.

I'm sure next year would be the release year of the 7th generation.
When you speak about Pokemon XY, you talk about the MegaEvolutions, the war in Kalos, the 3DS, clothes, but you don't really talk about the new pokémon. It's as if Mega Evolutions are the sixth generation. That's why I think Game freak will release a 7th generation very soon, because the sixth generation pokemon were just minors details about Pokemon XY.
Look at the anime, the characters's team are empty, they can't do any further promotion.
As far as i'm concerned, I think the 7th Generation will feature 2 Zygarde as mascots, they will break the pattern again.

I'm sure they'll want to break some patterns and traditions to keep things new and interesting, but I don't think they would be using a Gen 6 Legendary as a mascot for a Gen 7 game. However, the only way that I can see that happening is if they decided to make Gen 7 a sequel to Gen 6, like how Gen 2 was a sorta-kinda sequel to Gen 1. I think it's still a bit of a stretch, but I wouldn't mind it either. Having a new Gen serve as a sequel and yet still give it a new region and 'mons to make it classify as a "new" Gen would be interesting. Some people may think that's "weird" or "impossible", but that's what they said about releasing both Gens 4 and 5 on the DS.

Even if the next generation were like Generation II, I don't see why Zygarde would be prioritized over new legendaries, which can be expected judging from the Strange Souvenir alone.

Even if the next generation were like Generation II, I don't see why Zygarde would be prioritized over new legendaries, which can be expected judging from the Strange Souvenir alone.

The Strange Souvenir could just be a model of a standalone legendary in the Generation VII games, or could be a model of some ordinary Pokémon in that new region.

But either way, it would be very nice to see the two Generation VII games released on New Nintendo 3DS on the 20th Anniversary of Red and Green's release, which is February 27th. And of course, the mascots of the games could be Zygarde's new formes. But at the same time, it would be nice to see them use the new region's starter Mega Evolutions as the mascots of the games instead.

But either way, it would be very nice to see the two Generation VII games released on New Nintendo 3DS on the 20th Anniversary of Red and Green's release, which is February 27th. And of course, the mascots of the games could be Zygarde's new formes. But at the same time, it would be nice to see them use the new region's starter Mega Evolutions as the mascots of the games instead.
That might actually tie into the "reverting to simplicity" thing, since focusing on the starters instead of legendaries would be like a throwback to Gen 1.

The Strange Souvenir could just be a model of a standalone legendary in the Generation VII games, or could be a model of some ordinary Pokémon in that new region.
It is definitely not ordinary given the fact that it is venerated as a protector. It could be standalone (which would be refreshing), but in that case even a starter duo would make more sense as mascots of a new region than Zygarde forms would.

it would be nice to see them use the new region's starter Mega Evolutions as the mascots of the games instead.
I don't see them introducing the Mega Evolutions in the same games as the starters themselves. If we're really thinking outside the box, the mascots don't have to be legendary or starters. They could be more akin to secondary starters (like the Kanto starters in Yellow or XY) only with an actual role in the story. Lucario done right, if you will.

Last edited:
Mega evolutions, form changes/differences and primals don't count as new pokemon. And just because there is the 20th anniversary coming up, it doesn't mean a Kanto remake or a whole new kanto game is being made. We are done with Kanto, deal with it. We either getting games with Zygarde as mascot or we getting Gen 7. But I am now leaning towards Gen 7.

Mega Evolutions, Primals and Formes actually are different Pokémon. Not only do they have separate 3-D models, separate Menu Sprites, but in the case of the first two, it's a completely updated BST. In the case of Formes, it's not only the occasional BST (Kyurem), but it's also a different movepool (Hoopa), different typing (Wormadam), etc.

The only one I wouldn't argue being a separate Pokémon is a Gender Difference except for Hippopotas, Hippowdon, Unfezant, Frillish, Jellicent, Pyroar and Meowstic due to the radical differences between the genders and the forementioned unique menu sprites and 3-D models. Especially when Meowstic has a gender-dependent movepool.

Last edited:
The Next Game?

It's fair to say we're about a month or two out from the announcement of the next game following recent trends. The only question to ask is what will the games be? Will they follow the original route and release Pokemon Z? Will we see sequels in the form of Pokemon XY2 or Pokemon ORAS2? Will Mega Flygon ever exist?

For me I'd like to see a Pokemon XY2 that is an extension on what XY built. I'd like to see another 20-30 Pokemon added with maybe around 15 more Mega Pokemon added. I'd definitely like to see an option of a Challenge mode come in the game as well.

Re: The Next Game?

There is no need for this thread when another one has been running in circles for months.

It's fair to say we're about a month or two out from the announcement of the next game following recent trends.
It isn't fair to say that. Every generation has had a gap year; no game was released in 2011 in Japan, and even in other countries the gap between BW and B2W2 was closer to two years than one. Besides, Movie 18 doesn't allude to a new game, with Hoopa Unbound already existing in ORAS. We also know that Detective Pikachu is due to be released this year, even though they haven't properly announced it yet.

Last edited:
I was thinking today about Lysandre and a possible 'traditional' Z version. He basically stated he was going to wipe out a great deal, if not most, of humanity and Pokemon. I'm wondering how that will relate to Zygarde, and the lore surrounding it. Will Lysandre try to obtain Zygarde himself, and rely on its power to achieve his (possibly slightly altered) goals? Or will Zygarde appear in response to the chaotic mess that Lysandre may unleash as a result of his meddling with Xerneas and Yveltal, much like Rayquaza and Giratina did in their respective games?

By traditional, I mean like Emerald was to R/S, and how Platinum was to D/P. A Z version as a sequel is possible, but I think that warrants its own discussion.

I dont know how a z version based on that but not as a sequel would even work, let alone exist. If we are to get some sort of Z game, I would want them to look to FE:if for inspiration. A single game with two story paths and gameplay changes. Those are the different incentives I want in Pokemon.

I dont know how a z version based on that but not as a sequel would even work, let alone exist. If we are to get some sort of Z game, I would want them to look to FE:if for inspiration. A single game with two story paths and gameplay changes. Those are the different incentives I want in Pokemon.
But Fire Emblem If has two versions, or alternatively, one version that requires DLC to see both paths.

Could the reason why we don't seem to be getting an announcement be because the new games aren't going to be released in October/November 2015 but rather late February 2016 for a Red/Blue remake?

Could the reason why we don't seem to be getting an announcement be because the new games aren't going to be released in October/November 2015 but rather late February 2016 for a Red/Blue remake?

It's possible that the next games will be out in 2016. However, chances are it might not be Kanto remakes but the last Gen6 installment or Gen7

But Fire Emblem If has two versions, or alternatively, one version that requires DLC to see both paths.
Exactly. If is essentially one game, spread across 2. The world, characters, and content is shared, while the difficulty, gameplay, and story is different. The digital version could have the same plot up to the first gym then split. Post league the story could focus on Zinnia, who has been zipping between the two universes. They could either have one game focus on the megaverse and the other on a Kalos were primals are more abundant instead and megas are rarer, or bring back the original timeline where around XYs time a new method was truly discovered, perhaps by colress.
General consensus is definitely a September reveal if anything does get announced

Re: A new Pokemon game idea

They're running out of ideas

Or they're giving us less new Pokemon so we don't hit 1000+ mons so quickly.

It's pretty obvious that it's in their interests to not introduce huge amounts of Pokemon every gen, because it means they can drag the franchise out longer and make more money in the long run (there is going to become a point where too many Pokemon actually means too many Pokemon). Just because they aren't throwing new Pokemon at us in ridiculous numbers doesn't mean they are running out of ideas.

And as I've said in other threads, Mega Pokemon themselves are basically new Pokemon but don't increase the Pokedex number which somewhat reaffirms this theory. They can add Megas as substitutes for evolutions while keeping the interest in new "evolutions" and concepts for each line. And if you combine the Megas with the new Pokemon we hit a fairly good amount of new Pokemon/forms.

They're taking it easy because they don't want to hit massive numbers so soon and have the franchise burn itself out imo. And come on, there's loads of ideas they haven't done yet, how can they possibly be running out of ideas....

If you count the 72 new Pokémon and add the 48 Mega Evolutions, the 2 Primal Reversions and the 50 Forme Differences, then we got 172 Pokémon. 174 if you count the female Pyroar and Meowstic as different Pokémon.

In comparison, Kanto introduced 151 Pokémon, Johto introduced 125 (25 are Unown forms), Hoenn introduced 143 (8 were the forms of Castform, Deoxys and the "?" and "!" forms of Unown), Sinnoh introduced 139 (32 of these were the forms of Arceus, Burmy, Wormadam, Cherrim, Shellos, Gastrodon, Rotom, Giratina and Shaymin, as well as the gender differences of Hippopotas and Hippowdon, which look like completely different Pokémon), and lastly, Unova introduced 178 (22 are the forms/genders of Unfezant, Basculin, Darmanitan, Deerling, Sawsbuck, Frillish, Jellicent, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta and Genesect).

TL;DR

Kanto: 151
Johto: 125
Hoenn: 143
Sinnoh: 139
Unova: 178
Kalos: 174

Kalos actually introduced the second-most Pokémon out of all generations. So they're hardly out of ideas lol And the next Generation will definitely throw us over the 1,000 mark. This all adds up to 910 Pokémon.

The kalos only released 72, like you said. A Pokemon with a different forme doesn't mean you have an extra Pokemon. And, when you see a mega evolution, it doesn't get it's own Dex entry. When you see a mega evolution, it goes into the original Pokemon's entry(ex. seeing Charizard X, it will be in Charizards entry as a different forme). All I'm trying to say is, if it doesn't include it's own Pokedex entry, it can't be considered +1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom