• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong, but I honestly don't think anything will be done for the 20th anniversary. I wanted and actually expected the entire Aladdin tv series to be released in either DVD or iTunes format for the movie's 20th three years ago, but Disney didn't do crap. And Disney is a much bigger and older franchise than Pokemon, and Aladdin is one of the Disney Renaissance collection. Not to mention the tv show was part of the Disney Afternoon lineup.

However, if I'm wrong, I'll gladly take the $30-$50 that the 20th anniversary games may be worth and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Re: What will be the "next" Pokemon game?

It's one of three choices: Z, X2Y2 or Gen 7. Remakes of sinnoh and Kanto isn't happening.

I didn't know Nintendo had an Auckland branch that you work at. Please, tell us more. Is there a release date?

Personally, I think the most likely thing for next game is the next Kalos game, whatever that is.

I dont think Sinnoh remakes will be released for a long time, so those are very unlikely to be released next.

As for the 20th anniversary, they might choose to release something. A return to Kanto seems like a predictable thing because its where it all started, I dont think it would be unrealistic to consider the possibility. Kanto is also not yet on the 3DS, so they could use this oppurtunity to give it an update in 3D and give it new features and things like wi-fi trading. If not a Kanto game Im not sure what else could happen for that. Or it could be nothing, but I think they might do something to celebrate it.

It would be more likely to be a Generation VII game, we're already done with Generation VI. The story of Kalos and Mega Evolution can continue in the Generation VII games.

I didn't know Nintendo had an Auckland branch that you work at. Please, tell us more. Is there a release date?
Why would Alexander tell you or anyone any confidential information? Nintendo would sack him if he did release any confidential information. Otherwise if he was going to release any confidential information, he'd have to keep his identity a secret. Just saying.

It would be more likely to be a Generation VII game, we're already done with Generation VI. The story of Kalos and Mega Evolution can continue in the Generation VII games.

Why would Alexander tell you or anyone any confidential information? Nintendo would sack him if he did release any confidential information. Otherwise if he was going to release any confidential information, he'd have to keep his identity a secret. Just saying.

How do you know we're done with Gen 6? There could still be another game or pair of games. I think anything could happen at this point, they could very well move on, but they also may not and have something else planned for Gen 6.

Pokemon Z is a game that some think which will be next... I disagree though because maybe "like" Pokemon black and white their will be a sequel to Pokemon X and Y. Or it will be a remake for Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and platinum. Or Generation Seven.... Tell me what you think what Pokemon game will be coming next.

It's one of three choices: Z, X2Y2 or Gen 7. Remakes of sinnoh and Kanto isn't happening.

Unless it featured the PSS like XY and ORAS, a Kanto remake would be considered Gen VII.

I think they will return to sinnoh or hoenn since there's hoenn region mega evolution

After realizing that the nomads have a symbol for Arceus as well as the Antagonist in Movie 18, I've been wondering that as well. Mega/Primal Arceus could be the ulterior motive for the antagonist, with Hoopa Unbounded as a catalyst. How that would work, or why that would exist in a new game is beyond me though.
From the top of my head:
-Kanto Starters
-Snorlax blocking the road, requiring the pokeflute to wake it up.
-Lapras given so you can surf, as well as having the only surf model.
Post league legendaries where basically gen 1 plus Zygarde.

You're just looking at XY though, ORAS is part of this gen too.
-All starters are available in Gen 6
-Lucario given so you can mega evolve (does this mean too much Gen 4?)
-Wailmer and Sharpedo now have models too
-All non event legendaries are now available post game, be they gen 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6

The only thing that is a direct link to Gen 1 that I can't answer is Snorlax and the Poke Flute, but personally in my opinion I don't really think that can be counted as too much of Gen 1, can it? If anything it serves more as a hint to a Gen 1 remake.

I reckon that all of the points given by Mitchman can be interpreted as direct references to Generation 1. You argue that all starters are now available in this generation across X/Y and OR/AS, yet apart from the Kalos and Hoenn starters in their respective games it is only the Kanto starters that you can receive during the badge quest in X/Y. When this is added together with the Snorlax, Lapras and Mewtwo scenarios as well as the ability to capture one of the three Legendary Birds, a Gen VI Kanto remake (at least one that stays faithful to the original R&G/B, ala FR/LG) would feel like too much of a retread for my liking.

If there's to be a 20th Anniversary Kanto game at all, I would like a new adventure that mixes things up. It would be similar to B2W2 in terms of us seeing more Pokemon variation and new areas to explore. I haven't thought too much about how I would like these new games to be presented, but I would certainly like Mew to play a significant role, now that Game Freak have broken the formula of Pokemon being event-exclusive with Deoxys' inclusion in ORAS' Delta Episode.

The only thing that I would suggest in favour of a traditional Gen 1 remake is that FR/LG were released a decade ago on a now obsolete platform, meaning that at a stretch the current target audience may have only experienced Kanto via HG/SS. There's no telling whether Game Freak will re-release their main GB and GBA titles on the Virtual Console, but if other games currently on the VC are anything to go by, they would be stripped down experiences anyway due to a lack of multiplayer functionality.

While I would be happy enough with a 3DS remake of Kanto, for the reasons stated above I would definitely prefer a new take on the region that gives veteran players fresh twists to play through instead of more of the same from 1996 and 2004 rendered in 3D.
I basically agree with this, with a mix of the Strange Souvenir Region thrown in. Basically, if Gen 6 is over, and gen 7 happens for the 20th, they could do what silktree has been speculating, and focus on Guyana, with a mew central story. But still, Gen 6 oddly still feels like its in the middle, with gen 7 in 2017.

The only thing I haven't seen suggested yet on here is a Kalos Sequel duo, but with a Kanto post-game. If a Kalos sequel happens, that would likely take place a good year or two after XY. Which is already 7 or so years after HGSS, and a good 10 or so after RBY. So that takes care of the time-skip. The region could also be massively updated, with a story that involves Team Flare taking some sudden interest to Kanto. Or it could be a reverse situation, with a post game Kalos, with Zygarde awakening after some crazy stuff going down in Kanto. I dunno, but for some reason a Kalos-Kanto game for the 20th is so fucking out there that I somehow find this the most plausible situation in the end of all this. :/

SPOILER FOR ORAS DELTA EPISODE
Except the Delta Episode implied/stated that XY/ORAS were in an alternate universe/timeline than the Pre-3DS Pokemon games. So for all we know those events haven't actually happened yet, or happened more recently than in the original timeline. Otherwise that's a pretty cool idea:)

Boy, that went right over your head. Bravo. *Zinnia applause*

SPOILER FOR ORAS DELTA EPISODE
Except the Delta Episode implied/stated that XY/ORAS were in an alternate universe/timeline than the Pre-3DS Pokemon games. So for all we know those events haven't actually happened yet, or happened more recently than in the original timeline. Otherwise that's a pretty cool idea:)

No, while it's true Delta Episode implies an alternate universe, Gen VI games have several references suggesting the previous games' events still happened (from X/Y perspective) or were going to happen (from OR/AS perspective). Remember OR/AS is placed earlier in the timeline, parallel to Kanto events, and X/Y is much later, parallel to B2/W2.

These events may be slightly different with Megas and Fairy type, but stay essentially the same. My thought is that Pokémon Origins is the way to place Kanto events in this "new universe" without making another redundant remake, and perhaps they'll do the same with Johto events (I hope. I want to believe)

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people think we're done with Gen 6. If OR/AS were the last installments for this generation, GameFreak would have already revealed Gen 7 by now to get the hype going, like how X/Y were revealed only three months after B2/W2. It wouldn't make any sense to wait this long.

I'm not sure why people think we're done with Gen 6. If OR/AS were the last installments for this generation, GameFreak would have already revealed Gen 7 by now to get the hype going, like how X/Y were revealed only three months after B2/W2. It wouldn't make any sense to wait this long.

They don't need to reveal anything at this point, they'll only reveal 7th gen when the games are ready to be shown off. (i.e. within a year of release).

Curious question... where are you guys getting the information about coding that says there will be two more games for Gen 6? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but is that even legal?

That was only three months if you count the release in the rest of the world. B2W2 first released in Japan in June 2012. But again, we're back to this idea that Game Freak have to work by this predictable routine in terms of announcement/release dates...

Curious question... where are you guys getting the information about coding that says there will be two more games for Gen 6? I'm not trying to sound sarcastic, but is that even legal?

Pretty sure it came from Project Pokemon, the techies who hack the 3DS games. I'm fairly certain it was found before ORAS was announced and was said to have four spaces. Now ORAS is released that leaves two spaces left. It doesn't mean they will use the spaces, but it's a tiny insight into what they had/have planned in a way.

And if hacking a game and looking at its coding is illegal then I'm fairly certain a lot of Pokemon fans (and video games fans in general) should be sitting in a prison cell right now, considering how widespread cheating (Action Replay, Powersaves, PC games have their files looked into a lot, etc) etc have been over the years and are still. All they are doing is looking in the files/coding of the games.

Pretty sure it came from Project Pokemon, the techies who hack the 3DS games. I'm fairly certain it was found before ORAS was announced and was said to have four spaces. Now ORAS is released that leaves two spaces left. It doesn't mean they will use the spaces, but it's a tiny insight into what they had/have planned in a way.
Game Freak also made text data for events on every year till 2018. It's very unlikely this generation will last that long, so it looks like they made more text than will be needed. The same could apply for these supposed six games in Gen VI. Search for example "VGC 2018" in this file.

They know, because it's something called "Game Origin Value".
pastebin said:
Demo's game-origin value is 26, right after X/Y's 24/25. Alpha Sapphire is 26, which is the demo's base; Omega Ruby is 27. Only 2 more games can display a Pentagon on X/Y (28/29), subsequently numbered games will not. Who knows, maybe Red/Blue remakes like FRLG in 2016 for the 20 yr anniversary?

But of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that they could be Generation VI games. They could be Generation VII games with the ability to trade between Generation VI games, something in which hasn't been seen since Pokémon Gold, Silver and Crystal Versions of Generation II. But as we know, it's already possible to catch every Pokémon in X/Y and OR/AS. So the new games would have to introduce new Pokémon in them, since every new Pokémon at least has some form of catching older Pokémon that aren't obtainable in other Pokémon games.

So I'd definitely say that a pair of Generation VII games would fill values 28 and 29 respectively.

I think it's a stretch to say that Mewtwo in Smash is Kanto game propaganda. The Smash community have been crying out for Mewtwo since Brawl came out, it's just answering fan demand.

As for Amiibo, haven't Game Freak expressed interest in that as well as the New 3DS? Amiibo compatibility would be a nice bonus.

God i hope not if that happans on any entended level then i'm done with the series and nintendo

I'm sure Nintendo will gently coerce Game Freak to implement Amiibo regardless of whether Game Freak were planning to or not. Imagine the amount of money they could pull in from Pokemon Amiibos. They'd need to get on top of the stock issue though, as they seem to go out of stock everywhere pretty fast from what I hear, which isn't exactly great considering this is supposed to be Nintendo's big venture and they can't even generate good levels of stock.

Actually i remember hearing somewhere that this in someways is intentional as there are intentionally trying to make some rarer than others to generate hype, interest and cash

Masuda is indeed interested in Amiibo support:

Junichi Masuda, the producer of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, told GameSpot that Amiibo support would be considered if it provided something new to future Pokémon games.

Pokémon series developer Game Freak has already used the Wii U GamePad's NFC technology in a previous download-only game, Pokémon Rumble U, where figurines of Pikachu and co would be used to create more powerful versions of their in-game counterparts.

But Masuda would be interested in extending this idea to Amiibo support if it would introduce further gameplay elements.

"You might be aware that Pokemon as a brand used NFC for Pokemon Rumble U for the Wii U," he told GameSpot.

"Not in the exact same way as that, but if we can find some really cool way out to use Amiibo with NFC, and add some new type of gameplay, then I think we'd definitely be supportive of using it in the future."

Amiibo would likely be left for gen 7 or hell even gen 8. I can only assume if they do support it, it won't be for collecting Pokemon or what not, but as a portable trainer with your team data saved on it, or perhaps for contents/musicals/pokeathlons. Maybe even new gym challenges, like when you buy the Psychic Badge, there's a whole new puzzle and a leader rematch waiting for you.
Scratch that, the games are barebones as are. :/

On topic though, do we really need to go in circles again? The two games may/may not come to fruition, Kalos may/may not be revisited, and so on so forth. I'm still sticking with a September reveal, but with E3 as an added possibility. No way in hell would we get anything in May though, the 20th is too big an incentive for GF to not market the games around, and its still too early to connect anything to it.

Amiibo would likely be left for gen 7 or hell even gen 8. I can only assume if they do support it, it won't be for collecting Pokemon or what not, but as a portable trainer with your team data saved on it, or perhaps for contents/musicals/pokeathlons. Maybe even new gym challenges, like when you buy the Psychic Badge, there's a whole new puzzle and a leader rematch waiting for you.
Scratch that, the games are barebones as are. :/
Why would you need an Amiibo for a portable trainer when you already have a portable system? Animal Crossing is also introducing Amiibo cards, and Pokemon has previously had e-cards for their GBA games. They could easily bring back the e-card concept with Amiibo cards.

Evidently, the part that's scanned on the SSB Amiibos is just a thin piece of paper at the base, so the high price is coming from the figure itself. In a couple of years when it becomes more viable, maybe all Pokemon cards from the TCG will have some sort of Amiibo card feature that'll be incorporated in the games, but having a separate line of Amiibo cards wouldn't be too out of the question.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom