• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing gamefreak, it could be a ditched idea, or aomething they decided against and just left it there. I mean there is a lot of stuff in XY that is just incomplete, with various leftovera out in the open. I wouldn't use it as a msium of speculation unless we knew more.

I'm starting to think the most likely outcome for this generation is that GameFreak won't release any games this year, focusing mainly on Hoopa-Unbound and other stuff for OR/AS, with the next Kalos installment being released in 2016 for the 20th anniversary, and then Gen 7 starting in 2017. I really can't see any point in revisiting Kanto, since I feel like all the Gen 1 stuff in X and Y, not to mention Origins, was GameFreak's way giving the original gen its dues, and remaking remakes (FR/LG) not too long after remakes would be a bit overkill.

Alrighty, let me point out something. Not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings or anything like that, but... people who think there's gonna be DLC in X/Y/OR/AS have absolutely no knowledge of programming.

There won't ever be any DLC for any main series Pokémon game until Generation VIII. Why is that? Because the Nintendo 3DS (including New 3DS) games use game cards for both ROM data and save data in the game card's flash memory.

Allow me to educate those who don't understand about DLC. Anything that's "DLC" (or "Downloadable Content") is called "Add-On Data" in which is saved to the SD Card on the Nintendo 3DS, I'm sure most people would already know about this. And then it is used when the data within the ROM is loaded from the game card and then the functions within the ROM call for the add-on file data within the SD Card. So then all the data from the add-on data is loaded. Which is how the update patches for X/Y/OR/AS are used to fix minor issues within the game itself.

Remember this: Main Series Pokémon games are not like Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS has DLC because the players are not moving around a map. You just select things by the menu, not around a map and saving in those locations. It would be dangerous to the X/Y/OR/AS save data if for any reason any DLC was made or introduced, because if players saved in the area that had the DLC, it would cause the game data to become corrupt if it was loaded on a Nintendo 3DS without the add-on data and it would ask you to delete the save data with the button combination at the title screen. And why is that? Because the player is saved in place called the "void" and in which is the location that originally had the add-on content loaded. There you go, you've learned something new for today! ^^

Allow me to repeat it, main Pokémon games have only introduced add-on data for fixing minor issues in the game, not for adding in new areas or new items. Otherwise those things would be exploited and will cause save data corruption.

The only reason why Mewtwo is safe in Super Smash Bros. is because all of it's records and whatnot are saved into a separate section on the ROM, so if it can't load Mewtwo, it won't display it. The Pokémon games are not like that, they have never been planned for DLC and never will until it's on a system that always saves game data onto the system or SD Card rather than cartridge.

Anyways, sorry if I offended anyone, just wanted to point something out that I know all too well. I've done research on games and I know how they work.

Alrighty, on another note, I'd just like to also point out that the logo shown for Mega Evolution Special IV in which is coloured Red and Green doesn't exactly mean there'll be remakes of Red and Green. It could be a whole new generation of Pokémon called something like "Pokémon Inferno and Pokémon Flora" as Generation VII games. And believe me, most Pokémon games have indeed used Blue and Red as their colours (even Black and White versions with Reshiram and Zekrom) ever since Generation III. But I'm pretty sure they'll go back to the colours of Red and Green once again, under totally different names, but certainly not as remakes, otherwise there really wouldn't be any good purpose to do so since there would need to be Pokémon that can't be found in X/Y/OR/AS. But every Pokémon can already be found in X/Y/OR/AS, so there's no point in making another Generation VI game. And that Generation VII game can have trade and battle capability between Generation VI and VII games with it's own restrictions, just as I stated in my earlier post.

Last edited:
Alrighty, let me point out something. Not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings or anything like that, but... people who think there's gonna be DLC in X/Y/OR/AS have absolutely no knowledge of programming.

There won't ever be any DLC for any main series Pokémon game until Generation VIII. Why is that? Because the Nintendo 3DS (including New 3DS) games use game cards for both ROM data and save data in the game card's flash memory.

Allow me to educate those who don't understand about DLC. Anything that's "DLC" (or "Downloadable Content") is called "Add-On Data" in which is saved to the SD Card on the Nintendo 3DS, I'm sure most people would already know about this. And then it is used when the data within the ROM is loaded from the game card and then the functions within the ROM call for the add-on file data within the SD Card. So then all the data from the add-on data is loaded. Which is how the update patches for X/Y/OR/AS are used to fix minor issues within the game itself.

Remember this: Main Series Pokémon games are not like Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS has DLC because the players are not moving around a map. You just select things by the menu, not around a map and saving in those locations. It would be dangerous to the X/Y/OR/AS save data if for any reason any DLC was made or introduced, because if players saved in the area that had the DLC, it would cause the game data to become corrupt if it was loaded on a Nintendo 3DS without the add-on data and it would ask you to delete the save data with the button combination at the title screen. And why is that? Because the player is saved in place called the "void" and in which is the location that originally had the add-on content loaded. There you go, you've learned something new for today! ^^

Allow me to repeat it, main Pokémon games have only introduced add-on data for fixing minor issues in the game, not for adding in new areas or new items. Otherwise those things would be exploited and will cause save data corruption.

The only reason why Mewtwo is safe in Super Smash Bros. is because all of it's records and whatnot are saved into a separate section on the ROM, so if it can't load Mewtwo, it won't display it. The Pokémon games are not like that, they have never been planned for DLC and never will until it's on a system that always saves game data onto the system or SD Card rather than cartridge.

Anyways, sorry if I offended anyone, just wanted to point something out that I know all too well. I've done research on games and I know how they work.

Pokemon Shuffle uses external data for new levels. In case you download those levels and then delete/remove extra data, the game won't load until you redownload/reinsert extra data.

In main series games, we don't know everything what Game Freak could put in program of their games. They could either make that game won't load until you redownload/reinsert DLC or if they wanted to keep games playable after losing DLC, they could program the games to spawn player in fixed location, like player's house or Secret Base, in case player saved in location exclusive to DLC. New items like new Mega Stones could disappear from games after removing DLC and then return to bag if DLC is reinserted, assuming it wasn't deleted.

FRLG and HGSS ended up in having the same amount of Pokemon formes available comparing to RSE and Platinum. The only exception is spiky-eared Pichu which is just a gimmick with slightly altered performance in Pokeathlon, the trait that matters only in HGSS. So perhaps at some point of this generation, Game Freak will use DLC to make Kalos and Hoenn games have equal amount of formes, especially Megas. I guess cosplay Pikachu could be another exception though, because it's another gimmick form for Hoenn Contests, so it would end up with similar treatment like spiky-eared Pichu being gimmick exclusive to remakes of its generation.

Making Kalos and Hoenn games having the same amount of formes could also mean merging Rating Battles Leagues into one, after Battle Season ends. ORAS split League into two, DLC could merge into one again.

For any kind of "add-on" to X/Y/ORAS story of we don't get another Gen 6 installment, I think it will be something akin to the Celebi/Giovanni event that we had back in HG/SS. In other words, a normal event instead of a DLC.

On the issue of DLC, you do know they can just patch the new areas in, but have them accessible only with the needed item. If piracy is an issue, they could just work around it by having the item itself be downloaded upon purchase, non-accessible by other means.

In previous post, I didn't mention something interesting which works exactly how DLC could work. When Holo Caster news are downloaded, they are stored on SD. However, information about which news were read is saved in main game save, not in downloaded news files. It appears that Game Freak made placeholder space in save for all potential news to make each save record which news were read.

Knowing that, I think it's not a stretch to make a theory that they might have left placeholder space in save for DLC events and items to record which events passed and which items player found. That would make save always keep this info, not only when DLC would be removed, but even when deleted (contrary to what I said incorrectly in previous post) and after DLC is reinserted or redownloaded it would allow to easily continue DLC episode from the moment before DLC was lost and respawn new items that were found into bag. It would also prevent exploits of using multiple SD cards to complete DLC multiple times and getting multiple Mega Stones of the same kind. So, even if Game Freak won't make DLC, it looks like it's possible to be done.

First of, Zygarde new forms/mega/primal as DLC is just stupid as not all people would have access to the internet and WiFi.

And third, Zygarde is most likely going to be the mascot for the next game(s) as it has two move that are not available in the current games and it's stats are lower than the other two which suggest it would get a boost.

Neither of these really matter. Forms and hidden moves are non-essential elements. Just look at all of the Mega Evolutions introduced in ORAS - none of them were patched into XY. They don't care if everybody has access to all of it.

I feel that IF there is a Kanto remake this generation, and that's a big IF, that it shouldn't be a remake as such. Sure, bring back the Kanto region. However, have it set after the events of Generation I, possibly even Generation II. Could go about doing the gyms, maybe Kanto has expanded a bit, the legendary birds could play into the plot a bit, as could Mewtwo. Either a new villainous team or a new version of Team Rocket, under a new leader. Same gyms, or maybe do what Black 2/White 2 did and have some new gyms pop up and old gyms close down. That way, we could have the best of both. The Kanto region is back, but with a new, updated storyline.

I'd rather see Sinnoh and Unova remakes* before Kanto re-remakes. >_>

* Which, of course, are probably still far in the future.

Here is what I think is going to happen:
2015/2016: Z or X2Y2 (Most likely the second as evidence suggest two more games after ORAS)
2017: Gen 7 pair games (New Nintendo 3DS system)
2018: Third version or sequels
2019: Gen 8

And that would continue onwards, no remakes would be made as ORAS is likely to be the last.

2015/2016: Z or X2Y2 (Most likely the second as evidence suggest two more games after ORAS)

And that would continue onwards, no remakes would be made as ORAS is likely to be the last.

Oh, what's the evidence?

Why would ORAS be last??? I remember people saying HGSS might be last as Gen 1 and Gen 2 were incompatible, and both now available, but then they made Gen 3, Gen 4 remakes are certain to happen, just in the future, I also think Gen 1 remakes will happen, maybe not next year, but definitely one day.

Also your timeline is crazy, you think Gen 7 is only going to last 2 years???
The poor anime! Those poor game developers having to go that fast.

Why would ORAS be last??? I remember people saying HGSS might be last as Gen 1 and Gen 2 were incompatible, and both now available, but then they made Gen 3, Gen 4 remakes are certain to happen, just in the future, I also think Gen 1 remakes will happen, maybe not next year, but definitely one day.

Also your timeline is crazy, you think Gen 7 is only going to last 2 years???
The poor anime! Those poor game developers having to go that fast.
Lets be honest here, Masuda is on record saying that the games either need a fast turnout or a slow burn with either a one or three year development process. If they had the manpower, I wouldn' t have it past him to make each gen here on out 3 years long, with annual releases in between.

And no way in hell is ORAS the last remake, multiple universes and the resolution to platinum's plot is too enticing.

They'll keep making remakes because they are easy money. It's as simple as that.

This is what I think the Generation VI-VII timeline might look like...

2013 - X & Y
2014 - ORAS
2015 - Z or X2 & Y2
2016 - Red and Green Sequels or Generation VII
2017 - Generation VII (if it doesn't start in 2016)
2018 - Generation VII third version or sequels (if Generation VII starts in 2016)
2019 - Diamond and Pearl Remakes (if Generation VII starts in 2016) or Generation VII third version or sequels (if Generation VII starts in 2017)
2020 - Diamond and Pearl Remakes (if Generation VII starts in 2017)

I honestly cannot see two remakes being introduced within the same generation which is why I'm expecting Red and Green sequels instead. I'll be honest though I'm really not looking forward to making my way through the Kanto region again, unless it involves a new adventure which is something that sequels could most likely bring. Also what is to say they couldn't do something special for the anniversary releases of Red and Green for the 25th anniversary (2021) instead of the 20th anniversary next year? Just a thought.

Also something else I was thinking is why couldn't X & Y sequels work as standalone sequels that have little to no relations to the previous two games' story. I haven't really seen anyone bringing this up at all and I think it could work if done correctly.

Last edited:
I agree that there won't be any Kanto remakes, but it's pretty safe to say we'll eventually get D/P remakes somewhere down the line (probably Gen 7). I don't see why GameFreak would just stop with OR/AS, nothing indicated that they would be the last remakes.

My only bet is a 2016 Kanto game. Either a sequel/prequel or a remake (I'm gonna bet for a single Blue remake), or maybe in an unrealistic scenario, a main series home console game. I just don't think they'll let the 20th anniversary just happen without revisiting Gen I in some form.

There should rightfully be some type of celebration of the past, but I personally would want Kalos to go out with a bang in its own right, and for them to put more focus into it with whatever comes next.

Between the Mega Evolutions of [mostly] old Pokemon, all of the Kanto references, and ORAS basically making XY obsolete within a year [both as a game, and in rewriting the Mega Evolution lore...], I feel like it could use better treatment to help it stand out.

I'd rather see Sinnoh and Unova remakes* before Kanto re-remakes. >_>

* Which, of course, are probably still far in the future.

I'm already looking forward to the HD N's Castle.

Last edited:
If there's one remake(s) that I would absolutely love to see, it's Gen IV. They would more than likely do remakes of the separate Diamond and Pearl games, but in all honesty I would prefer a remake of Platinum. The plot in Platinum is more interesting and has more meat to it than the original D/P versions. Not only that, but can you imagine how much more 3D the Distortion World would be?

And those crazy Galactic uniforms.

And Cynthia's Mega-Garchomp mopping the floor with your ass. And 3D Cynthia.

And Mega-Sinnoh starters.

Just sayin'.

b5b751e1332e32685063387b50636502158b2157ec78f4cbf733248c79cac4ad.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom