• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We're all speculating on what the games are, but not what we want, so I was wondering if we can change the topic a bit. Now, I was replaying black 2(which kinda hurts, cause I lost my platinum medal status), and I realized howuch was lost in the shift to gen 6, mostly with the charm though. The world felt so comfy, and it had details oozing all over the place. Now, I know gen 6 might not reintroduce a lot of the lost stuff, but at the least do you guys think custlm gym themes will come back? I don't mind the standardized buildings again, but at the least custom music really set the deal along with the custom buildings. Seasons are probably gonna be a gen 7 thing, but the music needs to come back.

We're all speculating on what the games are, but not what we want, so I was wondering if we can change the topic a bit. Now, I was replaying black 2(which kinda hurts, cause I lost my platinum medal status), and I realized howuch was lost in the shift to gen 6, mostly with the charm though. The world felt so comfy, and it had details oozing all over the place. Now, I know gen 6 might not reintroduce a lot of the lost stuff, but at the least do you guys think custlm gym themes will come back? I don't mind the standardized buildings again, but at the least custom music really set the deal along with the custom buildings. Seasons are probably gonna be a gen 7 thing, but the music needs to come back.

What evidence is there that Seasons would be a Gen 7 thing.

Also out of curiosity, what determines now what form the Deerling line takes?

Seasons is a big ow feature, nuch like night/day. I doubt they would go through the trouble for the last games of a generation when they could just bring it back in a new gen in a big way, much like in Sinnoh. Oh and another th8ng, whilethe tcg th8ng spunds anecdotal, there is an interestibg use of θ, much like ΑΩΔ, the Hoenn trio symbols. I can only asse its taking liberties for the tcg to represent Hoopa with a greek letter, but still......

Seasons is a big ow feature, nuch like night/day. I doubt they would go through the trouble for the last games of a generation when they could just bring it back in a new gen in a big way, much like in Sinnoh. Oh and another thing, while the tcg thing sounds anecdotal, there is an interestibg use of θ, much like ΑΩΔ, the Hoenn trio symbols. I can only asse its taking liberties for the tcg to represent Hoopa with a greek letter, but still......

I'm still hoping that GameFreak don't release a new main series Pokémon game this year and instead, spend extra time on developing a great title for the 20th anniversary next year. One thing I've noticed a lot when talking to friends is that there's definitely a feeling of franchise fatigue creeping in due to the series having been annualised in the west since 2009 (with the release of Pokémon Platinum Version), with some games being announced when the previous release hasn't even been on the market for 6 months.

Giving Pokémon a year off could also have considerable strategic benefits for the planned multimedia launch of Yo-Kai Watch in the west later this year as well. With Nintendo being in charge of distributing the video games outside of Japan, they could introduce more potential fans to the franchise by starving the Pokémon fans who are up for annual releases before dropping something similar on a plate in front of them as a way of introducing more people to the franchise, as well as avoiding the two franchises fighting for Christmas sales.

I honestly hope they dont release anything this year. I think they can wait till next year and have some more time for whatever they have planned next. As for what I hope for, I dont know. Id like to see something interesting for the 20th Anniversery that isnt just a Kanto remake for the 3DS.

Oh I definitely agree on a 2016 release in February. I'm just pretty sure that building it up from now would be a smart move, as its an event on its own, the 20th anniversary. Build it up from June onwards, with not only the games, but everything.

I like to believe that the strange souvneir is going to be generation 6.5 instead of the next generation, but a dreamer can dream.

Giving Pokémon a year off could also have considerable strategic benefits for the planned multimedia launch of Yo-Kai Watch in the west later this year as well.
Yokai Watch will be localized next year. Your reasoning still applies to Japan, since Yokai Watch 3 will be released in December, and the last release (of Yokai Watch 2's third version) arguably detracted from ORAS' success in Japan.

Honestly, there shouldn't be a main series reveal this month. I think even Game Freak agrees that's way too early. ORAS were released in late November as opposed to mid-October, making a May reveal even sooner than it was last year. It would vividly show that they don't want to take their time with anything anymore. Plus, I'll reiterate, if a new game is released this year, they will definitely skip next year, which is a bad idea for a number of reasons.

Seasons is a big ow feature, nuch like night/day. I doubt they would go through the trouble for the last games of a generation when they could just bring it back in a new gen in a big way, much like in Sinnoh. Oh and another thing, while the tcg thing sounds anecdotal, there is an interestibg use of θ, much like ΑΩΔ, the Hoenn trio symbols. I can only asse its taking liberties for the tcg to represent Hoopa with a greek letter, but still......
Seasons annoyed me more then anything. I had to wait a whole REAL WORLD MONTH it wasn't just asthetic either some pokemon could only be caught in some seasons some areas could only be reached in some seasons. This was not a good idea. I tend to forget things after a month and I had already beaten the game by the time I saw a season change.

Giving Pokémon a year off could also have considerable strategic benefits for the planned multimedia launch of Yo-Kai Watch in the west later this year as well.
Yokai Watch will be localized next year.

As the update in Siliconera's article notes, Nintendo's press release itself contains no indication as to when the games will be released internationally. However, Viz Media have confirmed that they are planning to release the manga in September, which they also noted will be around the time the anime will start airing. Currently, only Hasbro's toys have been scheduled for a 2016 release.

I imagine that it would only be natural to space out the releases of the two series' and if the anime does indeed start broadcasting internationally this year, Nintendo releasing the first Yo-Kai Watch game to hit the Christmas market would be a good idea. Then next year, they can give Pokémon the attention it deserves for its 20th anniversary.

Ideally, I'd like to see Yo-Kai Watch launch in Q4 2015 (with the first game in the west, third in Japan), then a new Pokémon game released somewhere between Q1-Q2 2016 (ideally on 27th February).

Your reasoning still applies to Japan, since Yokai Watch 3 will be released in December, and the last release (of Yokai Watch 2's third version) arguably detracted from ORAS' success in Japan

I find it rather interesting that when posting the financial results of this past fiscal quarter, Nintendo apparently noted the biggest contributors to their success being the New Nintendo 3DS, Super Smash Bros. and Yo-Kai Watch - not Pokémon. I mean, It's not like Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire flopped, but it's still very interesting.

EDIT:

Out of curiosity, I decided to look through some old Pokémon news (from 2007 onwards) and unless Nintendo are holding back an announcement for E3 due to their current situation, I'd say that unless a new main series game is announced before 15th May, we won't get one this year. Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire were the latest games to be announced during their respective years; with all of them being before or during the release of May's CoroCoro (the "June" issue, because magazines are weird like that).

Last edited:
I honestly hope they dont release anything this year. I think they can wait till next year and have some more time for whatever they have planned next. As for what I hope for, I dont know. Id like to see something interesting for the 20th Anniversery that isnt just a Kanto remake for the 3DS.

If Game Freak are taking a break from their recent annual game launch schedule (which I personally wouldn't mind since BW2, XY and ORAS have definitely burned me out over the last three years), I think it would be cool if they used the gap to release some add-on content for X/Y that expands the post-game and perhaps smooths out the overall package. I know that the feasibility of AOC/DLC/patches has been both questioned and flat-out disputed in this thread in pages gone by, but I won't dismiss the notion until Junichi Masuda, Satoru Iwata and the like inform us that it would be implausible.

Masuda has apparently been on record suggesting that he would like to find unique ways of wrapping up the Kalos story which, after the traditional third games and the fresh take that Gen V offered with sequels, could be something as simple as prequels to X/Y. However, I would like to see the much maligned post-game of the main Gen VI titles addressed through a story expansion before Game Freak potentially decides to build on it further in a new adventure. The proposed add-on content, again if such a thing is possible, would include:

- Zygarde and its association with the Thousand Arrows/Thousand Waves attacks. New version-exclusive formes?
- Compatibility with the Mega Pokemon and the corresponding stones introduced in OR/AS.
- Elite 4 rematches, each with a Mega Pokemon.
- Features such as the PokeNav Plus and Soaring carried over from OR/AS. In terms of Soaring, Mega Lati@s were in X/Y's coding initially so maybe that feature was actually intended here in the first place.
- Access to central-southern Kalos, which contains a few new towns/routes, trainers and exotic wild Pokemon. Perhaps a new story element could occur here.

I suggested in my OP for this thread that the original third game formula (Crystal - Platinum) is redundant now that the technology exists for games to receive updates via the internet. Much of this I suppose depends on whether placeholder data already exists in X/Y's base game data, but in any case I certainly hope that Zygarde's backstory could be explored in a downloadable X/Y expansion rather than a third version sold at full retail price that is basically a retread and refinement of the first two Gen VI adventures.

Out of curiosity, I decided to look through some old Pokémon news (from 2007 onwards) and unless Nintendo are holding back an announcement for E3 due to their current situation, I'd say that unless a new main series game is announced before 15th May, we won't get one this year. Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire were the latest games to be announced during their respective years; with all of them being before or during the release of May's CoroCoro (the "June" issue, because magazines are weird like that).

Game Freak typically doesn't withhold game announcements for international Nintendo news outlets, they usually only release it through Japanese media like CoroCoro. What we get at E3 will probably just be whatever they were planning on revealing in the June 15th CoroCoro since the two announcements happen around the same time.

Game Freak typically doesn't withhold game announcements for international Nintendo news outlets, they usually only release it through Japanese media like CoroCoro. What we get at E3 will probably just be whatever they were planning on revealing in the June 15th CoroCoro since the two announcements happen around the same time.

You're forgetting that Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were all global announcements - the first two through a Pokémon Direct presented by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata and the latter two, an announcement video on The Pokémon Company International's official YouTube channels.

While it is true that main series games haven't been announced at E3 in the past, I wouldn't say that it's entirely out of the realm of possibilities. X/Y did have a developers showcase in 2013, which could lead to GameFreak and The Pokémon Company being more willing to participate in the future and with Nintendo acting as publisher, they could force The Pokémon Company's hand if they see fit.

Personally I don't see an E3 announcement happening, but that would be the last possible date for a 2015 game to be revealed in my opinion.

If Game Freak are taking a break from their recent annual game launch schedule (which I personally wouldn't mind since BW2, XY and ORAS have definitely burned me out over the last three years), I think it would be cool if they used the gap to release some add-on content for X/Y that expands the post-game and perhaps smooths out the overall package. I know that the feasibility of AOC/DLC/patches has been both questioned and flat-out disputed in this thread in pages gone by, but I won't dismiss the notion until Junichi Masuda, Satoru Iwata and the like inform us that it would be implausible.

Masuda has apparently been on record suggesting that he would like to find unique ways of wrapping up the Kalos story which, after the traditional third games and the fresh take that Gen V offered with sequels, could be something as simple as prequels to X/Y. However, I would like to see the much maligned post-game of the main Gen VI titles addressed through a story expansion before Game Freak potentially decides to build on it further in a new adventure. The proposed add-on content, again if such a thing is possible, would include:

- Zygarde and its association with the Thousand Arrows/Thousand Waves attacks. New version-exclusive formes?
- Compatibility with the Mega Pokemon and the corresponding stones introduced in OR/AS.
- Elite 4 rematches, each with a Mega Pokemon.
- Features such as the PokeNav Plus and Soaring carried over from OR/AS. In terms of Soaring, Mega Lati@s were in X/Y's coding initially so maybe that feature was actually intended here in the first place.
- Access to central-southern Kalos, which contains a few new towns/routes, trainers and exotic wild Pokemon. Perhaps a new story element could occur here.

I suggested in my OP for this thread that the original third game formula (Crystal - Platinum) is redundant now that the technology exists for games to receive updates via the internet. Much of this I suppose depends on whether placeholder data already exists in X/Y's base game data, but in any case I certainly hope that Zygarde's backstory could be explored in a downloadable X/Y expansion rather than a third version sold at full retail price that is basically a retread and refinement of the first two Gen VI adventures.

One idea I had was a separate downloadable that copies data from your XY card/save file and moves it into the "future" within a new game. (Assuming they want to do another timeskip.) Your main character, collected items, boxes, and records of your last adventure could all be transferred over. Kind of like an advanced version of the Memory Link from BW2. And then because its separate from XY, compatibility with all the new content (like Mega Stones and Primals) can be put into proper order.

Last edited:

You're forgetting that Pokémon X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were all global announcements - the first two through a Pokémon Direct presented by Nintendo President Satoru Iwata and the latter two, an announcement video on The Pokémon Company International's official YouTube channels.

While it is true that main series games haven't been announced at E3 in the past, I wouldn't say that it's entirely out of the realm of possibilities. X/Y did have a developers showcase in 2013, which could lead to GameFreak and The Pokémon Company being more willing to participate in the future and with Nintendo acting as publisher, they could force The Pokémon Company's hand if they see fit.

Personally I don't see an E3 announcement happening, but that would be the last possible date for a 2015 game to be revealed in my opinion.

If we don't get an announcement now, E3 is my next bet. Both the investor meetng and E3 have major fors then againsts when it comes to being anmounced at either one. The investor's meeting for reasons I have stated and E3 becauae 20 years is a huge deal and it deserves the fanfare and prestige an E3 reveal woule give it. And an announcement now doesn't neccessarily meana 2015 relwasez or could be like XY.

I think a fair compromise would be for X and Y to receive optional DLC expansion packs that add new post-game content, while Nintendo also re-releases the games with the new content pre-installed on the cartridge (under names like Pokémon X+/Y+).

That way, GameFreak will be acknowledging the modern age and not making fans pay full price for what will mostly be the same game, while also ensuring a new product hits shelves and the new content is available for children who may not have access to DLC (for whatever reasons).

XY was a new generation and ORAS' announcement was very low key. So it's doubtful a 2015 game will be considered significant enough to be saved for E3.

I think a fair compromise would be for X and Y to receive optional DLC expansion packs that add new post-game content, while Nintendo also re-releases the games with the new content pre-installed on the cartridge (under names like Pokémon X+/Y+).

That way, GameFreak will be acknowledging the modern age and not making fans pay full price for what will mostly be the same game, while also ensuring a new product hits shelves and the new content is available for children who may not have access to DLC (for whatever reasons).

Like New Super Luigi U?

Actually, I'm not sure I'd like that because it still feels like they're recycling content, the only difference being that you can buy the extra content separately. It'd be inferior to sequels, which are completely new games in a familiar setting.

Last edited:
People who say, well the latest a game has been announced before was "this date", well before that game came out, there was another "latest so far" date.

I don't know where May 15 comes into it, if Pokemon wants to announce a game in June, they can.

Also I don't get why anyone would be against a yearly release. It keeps the franchise fresh, and gives you new games to play stuff to do, as well as make much needed cash for Nintendo. In the west we've had a yearly release every year since 2009, it's clearly not doing harm. Forwards I say.

I'd even like to go one step further, the distance between Emerald was about 6 months, why not Z in this year, then Gen 1 remake for the 21st anniversary a few months later!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom