• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't jump the gun just yet; like you said, we still got Zygarde and Volcanion to cover (though those two could be handled easily through events).

Right. So no new gen VI games, since everything's already catchable. That only leaves main series gen VII games.

I think you've got a shock coming your way if you think they are just going to ditch Zygarde and Volcanion and move onto Gen 7 with no revisit to Kalos.

The fact that everything is catchable already, does not in anyway prohibit a 3rd version. When Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald came out everything was already catchable. (Platinum came before HGSS so isn't comparible)

I predict two new Megas for Zygarde and a Primal for Volcanion. Mega Zygarde X and Mega Zygarde Y activated by its 2 hidden moves.

I think Primal for Volcanion as Diancie had a Mega, Hoopa got a standard new forme, so I think Volcanion will get a Primal. (Also its mythology hints at one)

I can actually see the new game linking into ORAS quite a lot. I believe Zygarde will have a link to Rayquaza, they are very similar or with parralels, Green Dragons that control 2 opposing forces at war in their Trios, one is confined to the land, the other flies high in the sky, as mentioned I think both will mega evolve via moves, and I even believe Zinnia will come into play, Delta was not the last we are seeing of her!

Volcanion in turn with its Fire/Water typing, prehistoric nature etc could possibly link in with Groudon & Kyogre!

Right. So no new gen VI games, since everything's already catchable. And DLC is impossible. (Unless it was separate from the main games, like a Battle Frontier or something, and you could transfer data between the two.) That only leaves main series gen VII games. That makes sense, since they'll want to develop for the new 3DS, which will only have a limited life cycle. However, there is still the Zygarde problem: we haven't been told anything about it yet.
I personally don't think that we'll see a New Nintendo 3DS exclusive main series instalment; because that would severely limit the potential audience for the game. I can however, see future Nintendo 3DS Pokémon titles having enhancements when played on the New systems, such as C-stick compatibility for camera changing or better textures (maybe the extra memory of the N3DS could allow the games to be entirely in 3D when played on those systems? I dunno).

In regards to what system Generation VII will launch on, that could be more interesting. Satoru Iwata has confirmed that we'll learn more about the NX next year, which makes a release in 2016 or 2017 likely (with the latter being moreso). We could have a situation like Generation V, where a shorter Generation VII launches on the 3DS in 2017 a few months before the 3DS' successor, with Generation VIII launching on the NX in 2019.

Preferably though, I would like to see GameFreak launch the last Generation VI game(s) on the Nintendo 3DS next year, before releasing Generation VII on the NX in 2017. Considering that both the 3DS and Wii U suffered from weak launch line-ups and software droughts in the following months, I expect that Nintendo will be looking to fix this with their next launch. A new Pokémon generation being a launch title, or even a launch window title, would be incredible.

Anyways, back onto the topic. I'm pretty sure Junichi Masuda is already thinking "Hm... everyone's speculating Pokémon Z or Pokémon X2 and Y2. *laughs* We're going to do something completely different, which is a whole new generation with a new region to start in and the Kalos region as a post-game region."

I recall the argument saying that he's refering to Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire for what to do after X/Y release, and plans on expanding Kalos later on. He never said anything about a new generation, unless you got proof of that. Then again, like you mentioned, Masuda's interested in both N3DS new processor and the latest amibo craze. Plus his trip to London indicate that he been planning on a new generation as well. But I didn't see anything that outright confirmed a new Pokémon game exclusive to the N3DS, at least for this year.

I think we still got plenty of time to speculate on what Game Freak's next move will be in regard to Pokémon; but one thing for sure: don't expect any DLC for this generation unless it was already preprogrammed in game.

Last edited:
2015/2016 main series game.

What would be the next main series games? Z, X2Y2, Kanto remakes, Sinnoh remakes, Gen 7 or something entirely different?
I would like to formally apologise for my behavior on the speculation forums as I had no right to shut down people's ideas. I should have been open-minded and I promise to be so. I promise to respect people's opinions and thoughts and to post properly. Once again I am sorry.

Last edited:
Re: 2015/2016 main series game.

What would be the next main series games? Z, X2Y2, Kanto remakes, Sinnoh remakes, Gen 7 or something entirely different?
If Masuda sticks to chaos theory, then something completely different.

The fact that he acknowledged the name Z probably means that if we do return to Kalos in the next game (or whatever) it won't actually be named Z. Expect something different. I think we'll be getting two versions anyway (due to Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves) so Z probably wouldn't work.

Why does it have to be something different? Yes something different is nice now and again, something unexpected like the Gen 5 sequels, but what's wrong with good old familiarity now and again?

Also if you're constantly trying to shock or surprise, just like Lady Gaga found out, eventually people stop being shocked and surprised.

I think you've got a shock coming your way if you think they are just going to ditch Zygarde and Volcanion and move onto Gen 7 with no revisit to Kalos.

The fact that everything is catchable already, does not in anyway prohibit a 3rd version. When Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald came out everything was already catchable. (Platinum came before HGSS so isn't comparible)

*snip*

I hope you're right. I never got to play X and Y and I always wanted to customise my character. If sequels/third versions do come out, I'm definitely getting them.

Naturally having everything catchable doesn't prohibit a third version, but it does decrease the probability of one. In particular, this generation there were a lot of Pokemon that felt really shoehorned into the games. For instance, Spiritomb, the deluge of legendaries and four regions of starters. Why would they do this if they were expecting a third version. Emerald, Crystal and Yellow aren't really comparable, simply because there were so fewer Pokemon back then and in particular fewer legendaries.

Why does it have to be something different? Yes something different is nice now and again, something unexpected like the Gen 5 sequels, but what's wrong with good old familiarity now and again?

Also if you're constantly trying to shock or surprise, just like Lady Gaga found out, eventually people stop being shocked and surprised.

I don't think Pokemon's problem is a lack of consistency. :p

Why does it have to be something different?

Because I don't think they'd draw attention to the name in an interview years before its intended release if they were actually going to use it. It's somewhat similar to how they openly addressed "Grey" in an interview (and said it wasn't happening at the same time) a year or so before B2W2 were announced. Everyone was expecting Grey due to Black+White and Kyurem, but they went with something different.

but what's wrong with good old familiarity now and again?

It's nothing to do with good old familiarity now and again. They openly acknowledged the fan name Z, which means they probably have something else up their sleeves regarding the name(s).

Also if you're constantly trying to shock or surprise

I'd hardly say they are constantly trying to shock or surprise us with the names. B2W2 were really the only follow-ups in a generation that went away from their usual naming pattern for third versions and they only came as a surprise because, well, they were sequels not a third version.

Edit: Although maybe I need to go look at the interview again. I might be missing the context of "Z"'s use if the interviewer brought it up first because icr. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong anyway. I still don't think they'll use Z either way, because they know that's what everyone is expecting and it would be better for them to do something unexpected than something that was predicted three years previous.

Last edited:
Seasons is a big ow feature, nuch like night/day. I doubt they would go through the trouble for the last games of a generation when they could just bring it back in a new gen in a big way, much like in Sinnoh. Oh and another thing, while the tcg thing sounds anecdotal, there is an interestibg use of θ, much like ΑΩΔ, the Hoenn trio symbols. I can only asse its taking liberties for the tcg to represent Hoopa with a greek letter, but still......
Seasons annoyed me more then anything. I had to wait a whole REAL WORLD MONTH it wasn't just asthetic either some pokemon could only be caught in some seasons some areas could only be reached in some seasons. This was not a good idea. I tend to forget things after a month and I had already beaten the game by the time I saw a season change.

Agreed. If they're gonna ever do seasons again, they need to be weekly. They sucked back in Gen 5. I beat the game within one season lol, which completely detracts from their purpose throughout the game. Weekly seasons would be great, though.
That wouldn't make any sense, seasons don't change within the span of a week.

Seasons is a big ow feature, nuch like night/day. I doubt they would go through the trouble for the last games of a generation when they could just bring it back in a new gen in a big way, much like in Sinnoh. Oh and another thing, while the tcg thing sounds anecdotal, there is an interestibg use of θ, much like ΑΩΔ, the Hoenn trio symbols. I can only asse its taking liberties for the tcg to represent Hoopa with a greek letter, but still......
Seasons annoyed me more then anything. I had to wait a whole REAL WORLD MONTH it wasn't just asthetic either some pokemon could only be caught in some seasons some areas could only be reached in some seasons. This was not a good idea. I tend to forget things after a month and I had already beaten the game by the time I saw a season change.

Agreed. If they're gonna ever do seasons again, they need to be weekly. They sucked back in Gen 5. I beat the game within one season lol, which completely detracts from their purpose throughout the game. Weekly seasons would be great, though.
That wouldn't make any sense, seasons don't change within the span of a week.

It's a game, it doesn't have to follow real world logic. Gameplay wise it makes much more sense because waiting a month to get a particular Pokemon or item is a bit on the ridiculous side.

Bring seasons back, but tie them to absolutely nothing. That way, they can be a real 4 month cycle.

For the sake of those who simply want it back for one reason or another.

Seasons was a great concept and executed as well as it could but falls on its butt in extended gameplay periods due to the known constraints of the Pokemon games. Pokemon is a fantasy world, but at the same time, Pokemon is not THAT much of a one. I mean there's no legit way for the player to change seasons on a whim. Unless we get some legendary in the future that could do that or something.

...Which sounds awesome.

Last edited:
Kalos technically had all four seasons. Central Kalos was spring, Coastal Kalos was summer and Mountainous Kalos was autumn (North) and winter (East). So if they decide to bring back seasons, they could just make the seasons... geographical, in a way. And make Deerling (the only season-related Pokémon) available in all four Season Routes.

^ It was also to add to the allusion that the PC was journeying for a good year without having the problems that seasons brought when being their own thing back in Gen V. It was an interesting move.

Like I said earlier, DLC is basically impossible in X/Y/OR/AS, since the games aren't built for it. But even if they were built for it, it would only be possible through transferring all save data directly to the SD Card in a "Second Adventure".

But even if it was possible (which it's not), DLC on it's own is bad, 'cause you'd need Nintendo eShop funds on your account, and not everyone can purchase add-on content within the game. And not everyone in the world has access to the internet either. But even if they released it as something like "Pokémon X with Expansion Set" or "Pokémon Omega Ruby with Expansion Set" in retail stores along with the expansion being purchasable with your eShop funds while playing, most people wouldn't see it as a completely new game. Most people would think "Oh, it's just Pokémon X/Y, I've already got that game". So they really wouldn't make much profit for their shareholders and taxpayers if they went in that route.

That's why every expansion to any game is made or developed, it has to have a completely new name in order to get anyone's attention. And also, it really wouldn't make any sense for Game Freak to develop an expansion under a different name. New Super Luigi U was an example of how an expansion set was made. Expansions usually are only made for adding in little in the way of content as possible, often using the same music, same storyline or different characters.

But as I've said earlier, the games are not built to handle DLC, so it's completely ruled out and impossible.

Okay, assuming DLC can't be done even through update, it should be mentioned though, that it doesn't always have to be paid. Monthly DLC packs for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate are free. Assuming the theoretical update for ORAS would contain Battle Frontier and some new Megas it could be free as well because it's the amount of content that could be already in main game.

To get things back on topic, I feel like it's pretty safe to assume there won't be any main series games this year, as others have brought stuff like Youkai (is that how it's spelled?) Watch and the general fatigue of the fandom right now. If a main series game is announced this year, it will probably be slated for release next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom