• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To get things back on topic, I feel like it's pretty safe to assume there won't be any main series games this year, as others have brought stuff like Youkai (is that how it's spelled?) Watch and the general fatigue of the fandom right now. If a main series game is announced this year, it will probably be slated for release next year.

Yeah, most of us are assuming a mid-May or E3 announcement for a 20th anniversary release in February 2016, but it's probably not happening lol

I'd be actually fine if they end up not announcing a new game for this year. It feels a bit weird to say that because I love Pokemon, I have been enjoying the recent games in spite of their flaws/issues and I would still buy pretty much any handheld game for the series, but at the same time, giving it a bit of a breather sounds good for everyone. It would give the developers more time to work on games instead of having to meet a deadline every year and fans aren't burnout by having a new main series game or two every year. That way, the games that come out are potentially better than they would be if they were rushed to meet the yearly deadline and fans could be more eager to buy a new main series game after not having one for a year. Anything longer than a year or two might be too long of a break, but a year with only side games being released sounds okay to me.

This would also make some new games related to Kanto more likely in my opinion. If they'd choose to wait a year for new games, I don't think it would be the next Kalos game due to the 20th anniversary being next year. I'm still not quite sure if they'll take a year break due to how they probably like having new games out every year for sales, but I imagine that if we don't hear anything by the time the new CoroCoro issue comes out, then that would make it much less likely that new main series games are coming out this year, if not confirm that they aren't at all.

Last edited:
We still don't have a date for the Hoopa event. I wouldn't expect a new game announcement before then. But I'm not as informed as some of you guys are, so I could very well be wrong.

Assuming they don't have anything new for Arceus or they don't reveal any new game for this year.. Can they really extend Gen 6 to 2017? I feel like they can't considering the anime - Ash getting his sixth and seventh badge this year, Team Flare arc. Which leaves: 8th gym and League. Possibly another filler arc.

It feels like to me that they want Generation 7 out by 2016. Which means they could go two ways: Release the last two Generation 6 games this year and Generation 7 in 2016 and then a break year or release all four games in 2016.
That gives me an idea... What if they re-remake Kanto for the last games and have Generation 7 be set in Kanto many years later (perhaps 20+?) with 100+ new batch of Pokemon all in 2016? Thus, making 2016 the "Year of Kanto", though I feel like that'd be better for the 25th anniversary. I just definitely feel like they want to release Generation 7 in 2016, based on the anime.

Assuming they don't have anything new for Arceus or they don't reveal any new game for this year.. Can they really extend Gen 6 to 2017? I feel like they can't considering the anime - Ash getting his sixth and seventh badge this year, Team Flare arc. Which leaves: 8th gym and League. Possibly another filler arc.

It feels like to me that they want Generation 7 out by 2016. Which means they could go two ways: Release the last two Generation 6 games this year and Generation 7 in 2016 and then a break year or release all four games in 2016.
That gives me an idea... What if they re-remake Kanto for the last games and have Generation 7 be set in Kanto many years later (perhaps 20+?) with 100+ new batch of Pokemon all in 2016? Thus, making 2016 the "Year of Kanto", though I feel like that'd be better for the 25th anniversary. I just definitely feel like they want to release Generation 7 in 2016, based on the anime.

Not necessarily. The Hoenn League ended early in third gen and they had a Kanto Battle Frontier arc. They could do something similar now.

In seven days they can announce Z on the anniversary of Platinum's announcement like they did with ORAS and HGSS.

In seven days they can announce Z on the anniversary of Platinum's announcement like they did with ORAS and HGSS.

ORAS: Revealed 7th May
HGSS: Revealed 8th May
Platinum: Revealed 15th May

So in other words, May is sometimes the prime time for game announcements. Which means that if something main series-related is not revealed this month(or even June), it's a safe bet we won't get anything till sometime next year. Which I'm pretty cool with, I do agree that a little breather for now would be okay.

Or like what a few others have suggested, would it be possible to get an announcement this month and then a release for spring/summer of next year? Or is that too much of a gap? I mean if they did it that way, they could use it to build more hype I guess.

Too long of a gap IMO.

I don't think we'll get (nor do I want) a game announced this month personally. I don't know why they would include Hoopa-Unbound in ORAS if they have another game coming this year, when it seems more their style to have left it out (like Mega Diancie, Keldeo-Resolute, Therian trio, Shaymin-Sky etc) and used it to promote the next game. Unless they included it in ORAS because their next game is going to be something a little different - as we know all the Pokemon are obtainable between XY and ORAS.

If we have nothing by E3 I think the chances of a game in fall is zero. Though as others have speculated, they could also announce the game in late summer/early fall to release for winter and the franchise's anniversary. But whether that is what they have planned we'll just have to wait and see.

But I'd rather have a year break honestly, the franchise fatigue is becoming real (and apparent).

Last edited:
I also think that announcing a new game this month to be released next spring/summer would be too long of a gap. It would give them more time to hype it up, but I think it would be too long. I don't think that they've announced Pokemon games, at least in the main series, a year before they've come out. The longest gap between the announcement and release of new games in recent memory was X/Y being announced in January 2013 before being released in fall of that same year. If this was the start to a new generation, maybe that would be more of a possibility, but I still think that we're still another year or two away from a new generation.

I could see them announcing new games in the summer or fall if they want to release them by next February for the 20th anniversary though, but it would also depend on what kind of games those would be if they do go that route. They may want to continue releasing main series games around the fall, but the idea of releasing some new games that would most likely be related to Kanto in some fashion for next February does sound kind of neat.

Every youtube video I seen on the topic said HGSS was announced may 7th and I posted my comment on the 8th in my timezone. So I don't know what your point is... besides you saying that people were wrong about HGSS's date.

An other remake just after OR/AS seems unlikely to happen. I would bet on a Pokemon Z. Zygrade with its "Z" form makes it obvious! I think a Zygrade mega evolution,in the style of Mega Rayquaza, can be the main point of the game. They would really need to improve the game over X/Y to make it appealing for the fans.
Personally, I think I would prefer A Kanto or Johto NEW game (not a remake), but I think Pokemon Z is the next project...

An other remake just after OR/AS seems unlikely to happen. I would bet on a Pokemon Z. Zygrade with its "Z" form makes it obvious! I think a Zygrade mega evolution,in the style of Mega Rayquaza, can be the main point of the game. They would really need to improve the game over X/Y to make it appealing for the fans.
Personally, I think I would prefer A Kanto or Johto NEW game (not a remake), but I think Pokemon Z is the next project...

Except we know there's two Zygarde moves and two unused game slots, which implies two games.

Neither HGSS nor ORAS were revealed on the anniversary of Platinum like you said they were.

He didn't say that though. He meant that he thinks they can announce it on the same day a remake was announced because 2 other remakes were revealed on the same day/close to each other. Both ORAS and HGSS were remakes of a game that wasn't in the current generation, while Platinum is a remake of a game that was released in the same generation just like how the potential third game would be to XY.

I think they could do it on the 15th too, I wouldn't mind if it was around that date though.

A friend did tell me they wouldn't be interested in getting the "Z" game, and I told them that I think they would be interested if they thought it was new enough to which they agreed. Series fatigue shouldn't be a problem if the new game is interesting and innovative, so it's entirely up to GameFreak to make their games appealing to attract people. I know I wouldn't buy it if it wasn't appealing enough and thought I lost nothing by not playing the game.

I don't think we'll get (nor do I want) a game announced this month personally. I don't know why they would include Hoopa-Unbound in ORAS if they have another game coming this year, when it seems more their style to have left it out (like Mega Diancie, Keldeo-Resolute, Therian trio, Shaymin-Sky etc) and used it to promote the next game. Unless they included it in ORAS because their next game is going to be something a little different - as we know all the Pokemon are obtainable between XY and ORAS.

I think Hoopa Unbound might have been to make ORAS more appealing to get, the design was finished, Hoopa itself is the reason why so many legendaries are available, and it would be better to have it be both usable by both ORAS and "Z" game users. They may have thought it was better to have Hoopa Unbound in ORAS so the "Z" game doesn't have too many new upgrades/formes. I'm expecting something for Volcanion and Zygarde.

Last edited:
So I don't know what your point is

Neither HGSS nor ORAS were revealed on the anniversary of Platinum like you said they were.

You misunderstood me. I meant Oras was a remake hgss anniversary. Z would be third version. Platinum anniversary. May 7th when I thought hgss was announced and a week after may 8th are mutually exclusive.

He didn't say that though.

Suppose it depends on how you read it; seems I misunderstood his wording. I guess the internet does that!

I think Hoopa Unbound might have been to make ORAS more appealing to get, the design was finished, Hoopa itself is the reason why so many legendaries are available, and it would be better to have it be both usable by both ORAS and "Z" game users.

I don't know, I still don't buy it personally. I don't really feel like debating it, as it's just our own point of view with nothing to really work with. I just think, knowing what Game Freak is like, if they had a game set to be announced in May, they'd have kept Hoopa-Unbound for that given their past precedent with forms. But I'll have to eat my words if they announce something now :p

I'd still be interested if they did announce a game, but I'd be disappointed at the same time. I think them having a longer time working on the game can only be a good thing, allowing them more time to include other stuff, refine everything (I'm so specific!) and potentially change things/shake it up a little. The shorter time they have, the more likely things are going to be very samey imo. And being without a main series release for one year after the last few years has had one every year wouldn't kill people. I'd just hate to see Pokemon turn the way of Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed, where even big fans of it are eventually turned off/away by just how milked it is (of course both of those mentioned franchises still have + gain lots of fans, but no series should lose lots of fans/players if they are doing their jobs right).

They may have thought it was better to have Hoopa Unbound in ORAS so the "Z" game doesn't have too many new upgrades/formes.

Well B2W2 gave us the two Kyurem forms, Keldeo-Resolute and the Therian trio. Platinum had all five of the Rotom forms, Giratina-O and Shaymin-S too. Plus the potential Volcanion form wouldn't be relevant/acknowledged until next summer in the movie, so it would be whatever happens with Zygarde + Hoopa-Unbound at release at the start.

Except we know there's two Zygarde moves and two unused game slots, which implies two games.

OK. That only suggests there would be 2 games, B2/W2 style, rather than one. But the point is, a Zygrade game (games) is coming next, rather than a past generartion remake. And you made a nice point. The 2 moves suggest maybe Zygrade will have 2 Mega Evolutiopns like Mewtwo for example.

By the way, if they release new Mega Evolutions in the next pokemon game, they NEED to make some kind of patch for OR/AS. Otherwise, we would have 3 different sets of games (X/Y, OR/AS and Z or whatever) in the SAME generation, all incompatible with each other!

By the way, if they release new Mega Evolutions in the next pokemon game, they NEED to make some kind of patch for OR/AS. Otherwise, we would have 3 different sets of games (X/Y, OR/AS and Z or whatever) in the SAME generation, all incompatible with each other!

I'm hoping that they do just that, create a patch for ORAS where the possible New Mega Evolutions/Forms (introduced in Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s)) are able to be accessed between ORAS and Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s).

I have a little hope that they'll probably do that judging what they did between Platinum and HGSS. While DP was missing/didn't have any possible way of obtaining the new forms introduced in Platinum, the next set of games released HGSS included these new forms (mind you they were coded into the games from the get go and didn't require a patch). But now since we've reached the point where DLC is a thing I hope that they actually do, do it. The reason why my hopes are small however is because they didn't do this for XY (release a patch that incorporated the New Mega Evolutions from ORAS).

I wonder though did they decided to not release a patch for XY because they just didn't want to or because it was just really hard/somewhat impossible for them to do? I mean because if its the second option then I understand them not doing this for ORAS in the future if Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s) introduce New Mega Evolutions. If its the first however then I hope they actually do it and drop the lazy act, lol.

I'm hoping that they do just that, create a patch for ORAS where the possible New Mega Evolutions/Forms (introduced in Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s)) are able to be accessed between ORAS and Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s).

I have a little hope that they'll probably do that judging what they did between Platinum and HGSS. While DP was missing/didn't have any possible way of obtaining the new forms introduced in Platinum, the next set of games released HGSS included these new forms (mind you they were coded into the games from the get go and didn't require a patch). But now since we've reached the point where DLC is a thing I hope that they actually do, do it. The reason why my hopes are small however is because they didn't do this for XY (release a patch that incorporated the New Mega Evolutions from ORAS).

I wonder though did they decided to not release a patch for XY because they just didn't want to or because it was just really hard/somewhat impossible for them to do? I mean because if its the second option then I understand them not doing this for ORAS in the future if Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s) introduce New Mega Evolutions. If its the first however then I hope they actually do it and drop the lazy act, lol.

Im almost convinced the reason for not releasing a patch for X/Y is CASH ($$$$). They are capable enough to make a Patch/DLC.

Pokemon X is the game Im playing now, and them not releasing a patch with the new Megas created for OR/AS annoyed me.

Being a Gen 3/ Hoenn fan, Im considering getting OR/AS cause it is probably my favourite region/generation. All my favourite Gen 3 Pokemon (Metagross, Salamence, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, etc) are getting a Mega/ Primal Reversion in it. So ok, they "force me" to get OR/AS. As I said, Im not complaining about it, cause its my favourite region anyway. But honestly, if there was a patch available for Pokemon X, including all the Megas from OR/AS, Im not sure I would have bothered getting OR/AS. Maybe yes, maybe no. So that is how they win money here!!!!

BUT! If I get OR/AS and enjoy all the New Megas and stuff, and then they release a new Kalos game (whatever it´s called) with MORE new Megas, ALL OF THEM INCOMPATIBLE with OR/AS and X/Y, it would be what I call EXTORTION.

A Patch, as you say, would fix those "compatibility gaps" and earn some respect for Game Freak, from myself and other fans. Because honestly, the games are worth the money, but they are not exactly cheap. Especially if they are planning to "repeat" Pokemon X with an extra Zygrade storyline at the end and a few more megas. That would be too much of an extortion. It´s like saying to fans: "If you don´t want to be outdated, buy the new game. It´s not much different, just different enough to make you buy it. All your friends will battle online with the new Megas, and u won´t be able to battle them. We could release a patch to get rid of your dilemma, but we prefer to get your money."

We will see. Hopefuly, the fan- pressure will make them release a Patch/DLC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom