• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of extortion, it would be interesting if you started out your journey in a region that is already under rule of the local evil Team. And in the climax, instead of trying to stop something from happening you have to fix what has been already done. They kind of did this in Colosseum, but I would like to see it done in the core series for once. You could even have some of the Gym Leaders be supportive of the Team, a couple neutrals, and some that are part of a resistance group.

Speaking of extortion, it would be interesting if you started out your journey in a region that is already under rule of the local evil Team. And in the climax, instead of trying to stop something from happening you have to fix what has been already done. They kind of did this in Colosseum, but I would like to see it done in the core series for once. You could even have some of the Gym Leaders be supportive of the Team, a couple neutrals, and some that are part of a resistance group.

Sounds interesting, yes. It could work...You defeating the villans rether than stopping them,and liberating the region.

What I think would be interesting is, you having the option to actually BE the Champion rather than just "becoming" the Champion, time after time. It would be better to "BE" the Champion and then you can get calls warning you that a new pretender has appeared challenging you at the Pokemon League, and having you defend your Championship. I think it would really work.

An other great option would be recieving "offers" from different gym Leaders who want to retire, offering you to become the new gym leader of their gym.

In both cases, it wouldn´t mean you would be stuck either in the Pokemon League or in a Gym, you would go around the whole region during the post game, and you would recieve a "call" or "warning" alerting you to go to defend your championship or your badge when you´ve been challenged. Thats something that would really make the games better IMO.

I know something kinda similar has been done in OR/AS, where you can be something like a leader of your own Secret Base, but its not exactly the same. I think it should be taken a step further and make you the "official" leader of an "real" Gym. You could be the new final Gym Leader. The eight and final Gym Leader, who uses a variety of pokemon, rather than using a single Pokemon type.

But in general, I think the idea of the Champion defending his Championship is more likely to succeed with Game Freak.

Last edited:
By the way, if they release new Mega Evolutions in the next pokemon game, they NEED to make some kind of patch for OR/AS. Otherwise, we would have 3 different sets of games (X/Y, OR/AS and Z or whatever) in the SAME generation, all incompatible with each other!

I'm hoping that they do just that, create a patch for ORAS where the possible New Mega Evolutions/Forms (introduced in Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s)) are able to be accessed between ORAS and Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s).

I have a little hope that they'll probably do that judging what they did between Platinum and HGSS. While DP was missing/didn't have any possible way of obtaining the new forms introduced in Platinum, the next set of games released HGSS included these new forms (mind you they were coded into the games from the get go and didn't require a patch). But now since we've reached the point where DLC is a thing I hope that they actually do, do it. The reason why my hopes are small however is because they didn't do this for XY (release a patch that incorporated the New Mega Evolutions from ORAS).

I wonder though did they decided to not release a patch for XY because they just didn't want to or because it was just really hard/somewhat impossible for them to do? I mean because if its the second option then I understand them not doing this for ORAS in the future if Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s) introduce New Mega Evolutions. If its the first however then I hope they actually do it and drop the lazy act, lol.

Im almost convinced the reason for not releasing a patch for X/Y is CASH ($$$$). They are capable enough to make a Patch/DLC.

A Patch, as you say, would fix those "compatibility gaps" and earn some respect for Game Freak, from myself and other fans. Because honestly, the games are worth the money, but they are not exactly cheap. Especially if they are planning to "repeat" Pokemon X with an extra Zygrade storyline at the end and a few more megas. That would be too much of an extortion. It´s like saying to fans: "If you don´t want to be outdated, buy the new game. It´s not much different, just different enough to make you buy it. All your friends will battle online with the new Megas, and u won´t be able to battle with them. We could release a patch to get rid of your dilemma, but we prefer to get your money."

We will see. Hopefuly, the fan- pressure will make them release a Patch/DLC.

Platinum Lucario already proved a few pages ago that the internal structure of the games (both X/Y and OR/AS) does NOT support DLC in any form whatsoever. So no compatibility patches will come out, unfortunately. Maybe the next generation will be built with DLC capabilities, but any remaining Gen. 6 games would also have no backwards compatibility if they introduce more Mega's/Primal's/Forme's like OR/AS did. It's not extortion, it's bad planning ahead or maybe lack of resources if Nintendo forgot to give them coding that enables DLC. Remember, Junichi Masuda said he was interested in it AFTER X and Y came out, when OR/AS would already be well into development. So that already eliminated all four from being DLC-compatible.

By the way, if they release new Mega Evolutions in the next pokemon game, they NEED to make some kind of patch for OR/AS. Otherwise, we would have 3 different sets of games (X/Y, OR/AS and Z or whatever) in the SAME generation, all incompatible with each other!

I'm hoping that they do just that, create a patch for ORAS where the possible New Mega Evolutions/Forms (introduced in Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s)) are able to be accessed between ORAS and Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s).

I have a little hope that they'll probably do that judging what they did between Platinum and HGSS. While DP was missing/didn't have any possible way of obtaining the new forms introduced in Platinum, the next set of games released HGSS included these new forms (mind you they were coded into the games from the get go and didn't require a patch). But now since we've reached the point where DLC is a thing I hope that they actually do, do it. The reason why my hopes are small however is because they didn't do this for XY (release a patch that incorporated the New Mega Evolutions from ORAS).

I wonder though did they decided to not release a patch for XY because they just didn't want to or because it was just really hard/somewhat impossible for them to do? I mean because if its the second option then I understand them not doing this for ORAS in the future if Z/X2Y2/Other Gen 6 game(s) introduce New Mega Evolutions. If its the first however then I hope they actually do it and drop the lazy act, lol.

Im almost convinced the reason for not releasing a patch for X/Y is CASH ($$$$). They are capable enough to make a Patch/DLC.

A Patch, as you say, would fix those "compatibility gaps" and earn some respect for Game Freak, from myself and other fans. Because honestly, the games are worth the money, but they are not exactly cheap. Especially if they are planning to "repeat" Pokemon X with an extra Zygrade storyline at the end and a few more megas. That would be too much of an extortion. It´s like saying to fans: "If you don´t want to be outdated, buy the new game. It´s not much different, just different enough to make you buy it. All your friends will battle online with the new Megas, and u won´t be able to battle with them. We could release a patch to get rid of your dilemma, but we prefer to get your money."

Platinum Lucario already proved a few pages ago that the internal structure of the games (both X/Y and OR/AS) does NOT support DLC in any form whatsoever. So no compatibility patches will come out, unfortunately. Maybe the next generation will be built with DLC capabilities, but any remaining Gen. 6 games would also have no backwards compatibility if they introduce more Mega's/Primal's/Forme's like OR/AS did. It's not extortion, it's bad planning ahead or maybe lack of resources if Nintendo forgot to give them coding that enables DLC. Remember, Junichi Masuda said he was interested in it AFTER X and Y came out, when OR/AS would already be well into development. So that already eliminated all four from being DLC-compatible.

They've put out about 7 pathces for XY over the past 2 years already. How can you now say its impossible?

Well that sucks, if it's true. It would've been nice if they actually managed to include DLC this generation.

Slightly off-topic but I still find it weird that Game Freak decided to leave the coding for Mega Latias and Mega Latios in XY.

I've heard plenty of times that perhaps there was going to be soaring in XY but if the idea was scrapped then why leave the coding for Mega Latias and Mega Latios within XY?

^Part of me wants to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that Latios/Latias was a late attempt at making XY compatible with future Megas, and they couldn't include the rest because of time.

Still. I think its kinda BS that the original Ruby & Sapphire came with more compatibility measures & evidence of foresight than games in the 3DS era :/

Last edited:

They could still patch the games with the New Megas and Primals though :naughty:

I've always been curious of Zygarde's backstory ever since XY were released so I'm hoping a new duo of main series installments are revealed this month or sometime down later in the year. Hopefully they will introduce more Unova Megas this time. I like Mega Audino a lot but I did feel like ORAS could have introduced at least one more Unova Mega so hopefully XY2/DXDY/Sine and Cosine will bring some more!

They've put out about 7 pathces for XY over the past 2 years already. How can you now say its impossible?

Because patching is done to fix small errors in the present code. DLC is adding large chunks of code to replace present code (changing the Battle Resort to the Battle Frontier, for example) or simply new code altogether (adding the Primals and OR/AS Megas in X and Y). There is a very large difference between the two, dear.

They could still patch the games with the New Megas and Primals though :naughty:

They really can't. Which sucks because I want to fly around Kalos with my Mega Pidgeot. But whatever.

Sorry, Im new here and don´t know who Platinum Lucario is... But thanks for the info! Still, I think they made Gen 6 uncompatible with DLC/Patches for some more CASH. After all,I think they are smart enough to do it if they wanted to, so I assume they made it uncompatible with DLC/Patches on purpose.

Sorry, Im new here and don´t know who Platinum Lucario is... But thanks for the info! Still, I think they made Gen 6 uncompatible with DLC/Patches for some more CASH. After all,I think they are smart enough to do it if they wanted to, so I assume they made it uncompatible with DLC/Patches on purpose.

I don't think that was their primary goal. It's just a great incentive any business would take advantage of.

I for one am waiting until GameFreak catches up with modern day gaming. XY/ORAS were both perfect examples of what would've been an almost perfect transition with updates/patches to the Pokemon fan base.

Since all species are already catchable using only Gen VI games, Battle Frontier separate app could be a way to wrap up this generation while giving XY and ORAS players access to equal number of Megas and other forms. Kinda like FRLG and HGSS ended up having access to the same number of forms like RSE and Platinum, with the exception of spiky-eared Pichu.

That BF app would be able to create 4 possible savegames, 1 save for each of Gen VI games that would communicate with it. Main games would be needed to start using the app by copying info about player and moving Pokemon into app (and back to main game if player wants). I guess the app would allow to battle and trade online using potential new Megas. New Megas and their Stones wouldn't be possible to battle and be traded/moved to XY and ORAS. While connected to ORAS, the app could also give access to Contest Hall to allow use of new Megas in Contests and rematches with Gym Leaders in Battle Frontier in the way like it is in Sinnoh Battleground.

XY got Looker quest, while ORAS got third legendary quest. To make things the other way around this time, app connected to XY could get quest about Zygarde and its signature moves (the move Zygarde will get could depend on whether the app is connected to X or Y). App connected to ORAS could get Looker quest about healing his amnesia and that organization which tried to control Hoopa and got their headquarters teleported to the middle of the desert like mentioned in XY Hoopa event. During those quests, player would travel to next locations automatically to avoid putting entire regions into the app, in similar way like in ORAS demo.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that Zygarde will get new formes, but not mega evolutions. Why? Well, let's take a look at Rayquaza in ORAS...

It's actually a normal Rayquaza in which can mega evolve without a mega stone, but how does it happen? A lot of people assume that it actually is done through learning Dragon Ascent, but the truth behind it is very different.

As what has been documented by ProjectPokémon a while back, Rayquaza does not gain the ability to mega evolve through learning a new move. But how does it work? Well it's done through a special flag that is used in a script when speaking to the lady and then teaching Dragon Ascent, in which then sets the value of the Pokémon capable of mega evolving from 0x0 to 0x2 in hexadecimal (value 0x1 means that a Pokémon must be holding an item that permits mega evolution, however). And any Pokémon can be hacked to have the capability to mega evolve without a mega stone (even Pokémon without a mega evolution), this was something that can only be done in OR/AS, it cannot be done in X/Y. This is because value 0x2 is completely new to OR/AS. Where as 0x0 and 0x1 have been around since X/Y.

So in other words, Rayquaza can be taught Dragon Ascent and can't mega evolve. But the script can change the value of it so it can mega evolve. And yep, that means attempting to teach normal Rayquaza Dragon Ascent through hacking isn't going to allow Rayquaza to mega evolve at all during battle. And the Mega Evolution button will be greyed out.

Last edited:
Another thing I'd like to point out is that Zygarde will get new formes, but not mega evolutions.

And why could they not do something similar with Zygarde? They could have us talk to an NPC in the same way or even an in-game scripted story event that triggers it. I don't really see how that confirms forms over Megas at all, when they could program Zygarde exactly the same way and give it Megas.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but I realized something while thinking about the next Generation earlier. Every time they market the last Pokèmon of the current Generation they reveal a Pokémon or two from the next Generation.

Gen 2 - At the same time Celebi was marketed - Kecleon, Azurill, and Wailmer
Gen 3 - At the same time Deoxys was marketed - Munchlax
Gen 4 - After Arceus was marketed - Zorua and Zoroark
Gen 5 - At the same time Genesect was marketed - Mega Mewtwo Y and Sylveon

So that means we'll start seeing Generation 7 Pokémon in 2016 or 2017.

Seasons is a big ow feature, nuch like night/day. I doubt they would go through the trouble for the last games of a generation when they could just bring it back in a new gen in a big way, much like in Sinnoh. Oh and another thing, while the tcg thing sounds anecdotal, there is an interestibg use of θ, much like ΑΩΔ, the Hoenn trio symbols. I can only asse its taking liberties for the tcg to represent Hoopa with a greek letter, but still......
Seasons annoyed me more then anything. I had to wait a whole REAL WORLD MONTH it wasn't just asthetic either some pokemon could only be caught in some seasons some areas could only be reached in some seasons. This was not a good idea. I tend to forget things after a month and I had already beaten the game by the time I saw a season change.

Agreed. If they're gonna ever do seasons again, they need to be weekly. They sucked back in Gen 5. I beat the game within one season lol, which completely detracts from their purpose throughout the game. Weekly seasons would be great, though.
That wouldn't make any sense, seasons don't change within the span of a week.

Seasons also don't change in the span of a month, weather changing overnight of one single day in a second. :p

Also, this is a videogame. not the real world. It doesn't have to be realistic, it has to be fun and practical. I could understand if seasons changed in real time, like Animal Crossing. But if they aren't going full realism then they should be a week span because that's far more practical for every single player.

Bring seasons back, but tie them to absolutely nothing. That way, they can be a real 4 month cycle.

That sounds nice too. Just make seasons like Animal Crossing, except don't make any important things exclusive by season. I think they'd be a nice little atmospheric thing. Could be done very well and beautifully in 3D.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone mentioned this before, but I realized something while thinking about the next Generation earlier. Every time they market the last Pokèmon of the current Generation they reveal a Pokémon or two from the next Generation.

And don't forget that in Gen. 1, while Mew was being marketed through the first movie, we had Donphan in the first movie, and Togepi long before Mew was even shown. LOL

Well 2017 is pretty much a given for being the latest Gen VII will arrive I'd say, because I don't think any of us see Gen VI lasting until 2018.

Next year's movie could be Zygarde and Volcanion with no new Gen VII Pokemon. Which would then make 2017's movie similar to Zorua+Zoroark's in which old Pokemon would come back (Celebi + the legendary beasts) to star with new Gen VII Pokemon.

I expect we'll see Generation VII in 2017.

2015 - No new main series game
2016 - Gen VI game (Z, X2Y2, Kanto remake/revisit, Delta Emerald, etc?) in February for the 20th anniversary
2017 - Gen VII, starting sometime between March-October I'd expect, with announcements and teasers starting between between May 2016 - January 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom