• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think we need Kanto games. Even though I still have FRLG (as well as a copy I picked up of Yellow way back, I never originally had Gen I or II games because I started at Ruby.) a couple reasons are there for why it's necessary.

1. 3D Kanto. We haven't experienced a Kanto game in even DS graphics, HG/SS gives us Kanto but it isn't the Kanto story.

2. Nostalgia. Yellow was a fan favorite and now feels like a good time to revive Yellow, with the 3DS, you playing as Red, getting Pikachu and all three starters, additionally, I think you could choose the mega stone during the main game for one of the three starters, and kind of make a "choice", perhaps Oak finds them and offers you a choice of one, which in my mind is a humorous call back to the traditional starter selection.

3. Last, and most importantly! Timeline continuity! ORAS skewed what was the traditional timeline with FRLG and E all the way up to BW2. Now the timeline looks something like: ORAS -5-7 years-> XY, the other regions exist but their new, mega evolution universe story hasn't been shown to us. For this reason, I think we need remakes for every Gen, 1, 2, 4, and 5.

Oh, and here's a quote from a thread involving multiverse theories I participated in heavily awhile back, and I agree fully with this post:

Posting what I posted in the other thread for my views on this

. Each version is an alternate timeline influenced by minor choices (e.g., starters you choose, legendaries that get confronted) and each timeline is governed by a more "macro-universe" that underlies the mechanics of that universe and major defining events that influenced it. I think there are three clear macro-verses:

RBGY--->GSC
Major event: Time Machine

Unlike the remakes, these games have a time machine linking them. In a meta-perspective, these are also the most glitch-ridden games and were cursed to die because of their internal battery. An in-game explanation could be that the time machine destabilized the universe--all the glitches are manifestations of this, and ultimately led to the universe's destruction (i.e., internal battery dying)

FrLg/RSE--->DPPt/HgSs--->BW->B2W2

Major events: Averted Time Machine crisis/Switched Orbs

This macro-verse is more defined on what didn't happen. In terms of the underlying mechanics of the universe, Pokemon were granted unique abilities and their genetic structure differed (reflecting the IVs). While Mega Evolution didn't happen, I think that Primal Reversion still existed, but its existence was lost to history. Of course, the only time it could have been unveiled by Aqua/Magma, they switched the orbs and the knowledge of Primal Reversion remained lost.

What I find most interesting about this macroverse is how much Kalos is affected by the loss of Mega Evolution. Presumably, Sycamore didn't become a prominent researcher, and even if he did, he wouldn't have sent the XY gang on their adventure. Lysandre wouldn't have been so influenced by his family's history, and even if he still somehow believed the world was greedy and unable to share, he would not have the means to achieve his plan. Secondly, who knows if Sycamore and Lysandre would have even met--Sycamore was Lysandre's mentor, but would he have been his mentor had he not researched Mega Evolution? If Lysandre didn't study under Sycamore, would he have made Lysandre Labs? What would that mean in terms of Kalos' technological development?

Origins/ORAS--->XY
Major event: The Ultimate Weapon

Not really much to say, since this is the current generation. While people may have originally considered Origins to be a second-tier canon, the events in it has more credibility now that we know that Mega Evolution resulted in an alternate universe. For the purpose of organizing these macro-verses, I would definitely include the events of Origins.

also the best universe in that it kills off the character derailment of FrLg/HgSs!Giovanni

----------------------

Now, I only sorted games based on what macro-verse I think they fit in, but that doesn't mean I don't think the Johto/Sinnoh/Unova events didn't happen in the third macro-verse in some form, its just that we don't have any games to place them in. Of course, for the RGBY--->GSC, I don't think the Unova events happened since my theory assumes the macro-verse collapsed on itself around the GSC-era.

You're right, we don't HAVE to, but if enough people want to, at the end of the day I don't think they care about the few that don't want to

And if that's true then it's a shame they can't move on with their franchise without constantly appealing and pandering to the nostalgia lovers. There's more to their fans than just the people who constantly want everything Kanto shoved down our throats repeatedly.

Just so everyone knows, this year's E3 is a digital event, exactly like last year's. And remember, if the rumour about Satoshi Tajiri appearing before E3 was true, then they would've had a big announcement on the Official Pokémon website about it. So pretty much... I have to debunk the rumour, sorry.

Depending on the legitimacy of the video that's circulating (or more importantly whether the names mentioned in the video are merely placeholders), there could be a scenario where the E3 Digital Event unveils a new Pokemon game/project that Satoshi Tajiri himself has overseen the development of. I remember the 2014 Digital Event where a number of developers were interviewed regarding games such as Yoshi's Woolly World and Hyrule Warriors, so maybe Tajiri has finally decided to step back into the limelight at this year's event. Junichi Masuda appeared at E3 2013 and 2014 to promote XY and ORAS respectively due to his active role in producing said games, so it isn't as though Nintendo's shift to an online stream presentation has prevented key figures from gaining exposition at the physical event.

I don't think that a return to prominence of Tajiri in the build up to the 20th anniversary of his franchise would be that farfetched - plus there is still little under a month for Pokemon's social media outlets to hype up an announcement if there is to be one.

Which also brings me onto why do people seem to want Gen 6 to end so early?

Because it's been kinda suckish thus far thanks to their regressive game-making philosophies and so better to put it out of its misery and move onto something new?

As I understand it, it's because they kinda have to end it either this year or the next. It won't be long before their next big console, the NX thingy, rolls out, and they probably don't want to wait until they're two years into its lifespan to have a new Pokémon game lined up for it. Whatever the current enhanced 3DS model is called won't hold peoples' attention for very long. We're probably not going to still be getting Gen VI games in 2017, and it's looking less and less likely that we'll be getting one in 2015, so that leaves 2016 as the best time to do it.

3. Last, and most importantly! Timeline continuity! ORAS skewed what was the traditional timeline with FRLG and E all the way up to BW2. Now the timeline looks something like: ORAS -5-7 years-> XY, the other regions exist but their new, mega evolution universe story hasn't been shown to us. For this reason, I think we need remakes for every Gen, 1, 2, 4, and 5.

Storyline isn't typically something that you want to let dictate your business model. Besides, all of those games' stories in this universe would be exactly the same, but with the criminal bosses and Champions using Mega Evolution.

You're right, we don't HAVE to, but if enough people want to, at the end of the day I don't think they care about the few that don't want to

And if that's true then it's a shame they can't move on with their franchise without constantly appealing and pandering to the nostalgia lovers. There's more to their fans than just the people who constantly want everything Kanto shoved down our throats repeatedly.

You don't have to play it so what's the fuss? You sound like the anti-Hoenn confirmed people, but you did buy and play OR and/or AS right? You can skip a Kanto remake if you want, but you never did mention the holes in the timeline. We NEED Kanto games, and games for every other region aside from the obvious Hoenn and Kalos.

Because it's been kinda suckish thus far thanks to their regressive game-making philosophies and so better to put it out of its misery and move onto something new?

As I understand it, it's because they kinda have to end it either this year or the next. It won't be long before their next big console, the NX thingy, rolls out, and they probably don't want to wait until they're two years into its lifespan to have a new Pokémon game lined up for it. Whatever the current enhanced 3DS model is called won't hold peoples' attention for very long. We're probably not going to still be getting Gen VI games in 2017, and it's looking less and less likely that we'll be getting one in 2015, so that leaves 2016 as the best time to do it.

Storyline isn't typically something that you want to let dictate your business model. Besides, all of those games' stories in this universe would be exactly the same, but with the criminal bosses and Champions using Mega Evolution.

That didn't stop them with Hoenn remakes, by that logic we need Kanto remakes as their story took place alongside Hoenn and co-existed in Gen III. It doesn't even have to be paired versions like ORAS, Yellow, Crystal, Platinum, and Grey Versions would fit the bill well enough. We just have to fill in the gaps.

That would be pretty amazeballs if Satoshi does show up for E3. And I have to agree that if that's all true, then it's for something big. He's to Pokémon as Stan Lee is to Marvel. Not only did he create Pokémon, but he also founded Game Freak as well. But yeah, I'm taking this for a grain of salt as well. Which admittedly kinda sucks.

I'd love to see a refurbished Kanto, but not anytime soon. We just had remakes and a ton of Gen 1 pandering prior to that.

Come to think of it. In retrospect I think it might've been nice to have some stuff saved for the 20th...Picking the starters again, the Origins special, maybe even hold back some of the Kanto Megas for a bit. IDK.

You don't have to play it so what's the fuss? You sound like the anti-Hoenn confirmed people, but you did buy and play OR and/or AS right? You can skip a Kanto remake if you want, but you never did mention the holes in the timeline. We NEED Kanto games, and games for every other region aside from the obvious Hoenn and Kalos.

---

That didn't stop them with Hoenn remakes, by that logic we need Kanto remakes as their story took place alongside Hoenn and co-existed in Gen III. It doesn't even have to be paired versions like ORAS, Yellow, Crystal, Platinum, and Grey Versions would fit the bill well enough. We just have to fill in the gaps.

No, we don't *need* those games. Again because for one, they'd be essentially the same but with a handful of Trainers who use Megas, but for two, and more importantly, the storyline means absolutely nothing in terms of their business model. They're not going to pour all of their resources into remakes *just* so that you can battle Cynthia with a Mega Garchomp. If there are to be Sinnoh remakes, then it will be because they have determined that the demand is sufficient enough to warrant their creation and the costs that it would take to produce them. It won't be because the storyline twitched and changed its setting. Fantasy doesn't dictate reality here; reality does.

ORAS weren't made because they felt a slavish, overwhelming compulsion to show us what Hoenn would like in the "Mega Universe." ORAS were made because there was a long-time demand for Hoenn remakes, which they eventually decided would =$$$$$$$$, and because they needed to salvage what they could from the 3DS after it and the Wii U weren't selling all that well.

You don't have to play it so what's the fuss?

So now I'm not allowed an opinion on where a game franchise I like and support (the exact same as you do) goes next because if I don't like what we get (which happens to be what you want) I simply don't have to buy it? I know you really want this Kanto remake, but come on dude, don't be ridiculous. And the timeline is nothing to do with my opinion, so I don't see why I should or would have mentioned it because I frankly don't care about it. I'd rather they focused on sorting out better games (less recycled) with more gameplay aspects and features than worrying about giving us every iteration of each region in differing universes/timelines.

I must admit I do find it funny how the people who don't want to go back to Kanto for yet another recycled remake are always the ones that are made out to be the villains whenever this topic is brought up. It comes across that because we're negative about returning to Kanto (again) we aren't allowed to express disapproval/our opinion ("just don't buy it!" "Game Freak don't care about the few of you!") or that we aren't the fans that Game Freak should be paying attention to. I'm not a hater/hating on Kanto or Gen I, I'm tired of it (and tired of Game Freak just recycling the games + content which fits hand-in-hand with this). There's a big difference. I don't dislike Kanto at all, but it's had more than its share of the spotlight over the years, even going as far as invading Kalos. Yes I started with Gen I and appreciate that Kanto was where everything began, but I don't think we need to continuously keep going back to it or referencing it. You aren't a more important fan just because you want to go back to Kanto and will gladly buy another remake.

However, I will say (as I've said in a few posts in this thread) that the only way I will remotely support going back is if we are to go back to see a different Kanto, one that's changed and grown over time (think B2W2 from BW but on a bigger scale because Kanto is very barebones to begin with). If we're just going back to the standard Kanto that we've been through numerous times now (and also had numerous throwbacks to in XY) but just with Mega Evolutions throw in then count me out because it's just yet another recycled game from Game Freak. And don't tell me I don't have to play it, I'm aware of that and it's not remotely relevant because I'm still allowed to voice my opinion on the topic.

Imagine if the new E3 digital event turned out to be a collaboration between Pokémon and another game company like Square-Enix or Compile Heart. That would be the kind of surprising thing Masuda might have invoked, especially if it was announced that they would help with the 7th Generation. Just imagine seeing a Meow Wow from Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance or a Dogoo from Hyperdimension Neptunia as the new Gen. 7 equivalent to Rattata. Game Freak would have a field day with Youngster Joey!

Youngster Joey: My Dogoo is in the top percentage of all Dogoo! For some reason though, it seems to want to hug and eat girl's clothing. Not that I'm complaining!

In all seriousness though, I think that it would be a good thing for Game Freak to team up with another company to deal with future main series Pokémon games. Maybe the other development company would help snap GF out of their mobile mentality.

In all seriousness though, I think that it would be a good thing for Game Freak to team up with another company to deal with future main series Pokémon games. Maybe the other development company would help snap GF out of their mobile mentality.

I don't know about main series crossovers (though I think Game Freak could use some help from other RPG companies in the gameplay department but that's for another topic). More side-game crossovers I would be down with though. Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are two that would work well with Pokemon imo.

So now I'm not allowed an opinion on where a game franchise I like and support (the exact same as you do) goes next because if I don't like what we get (which happens to be what you want) I simply don't have to buy it? I know you really want this Kanto remake, but come on dude, don't be ridiculous. And the timeline is nothing to do with my opinion, so I don't see why I should or would have mentioned it because I frankly don't care about it. I'd rather they focused on sorting out better games (less recycled) with more gameplay aspects and features than worrying about giving us every iteration of each region in differing universes/timelines.

I must admit I do find it funny how the people who don't want to go back to Kanto for yet another recycled remake are always the ones that are made out to be the villains whenever this topic is brought up. It comes across that because we're negative about returning to Kanto (again) we aren't allowed to express disapproval/our opinion ("just don't buy it!" "Game Freak don't care about the few of you!") or that we aren't the fans that Game Freak should be paying attention to. I'm not a hater/hating on Kanto or Gen I, I'm tired of it (and tired of Game Freak just recycling the games + content which fits hand-in-hand with this). There's a big difference. I don't dislike Kanto at all, but it's had more than its share of the spotlight over the years, even going as far as invading Kalos. Yes I started with Gen I and appreciate that Kanto was where everything began, but I don't think we need to continuously keep going back to it or referencing it. You aren't a more important fan just because you want to go back to Kanto and will gladly buy another remake.

However, I will say (as I've said in a few posts in this thread) that the only way I will remotely support going back is if we are to go back to see a different Kanto, one that's changed and grown over time (think B2W2 from BW but on a bigger scale because Kanto is very barebones to begin with). If we're just going back to the standard Kanto that we've been through numerous times now (and also had numerous throwbacks to in XY) but just with Mega Evolutions throw in then count me out because it's just yet another recycled game from Game Freak. And don't tell me I don't have to play it, I'm aware of that and it's not remotely relevant because I'm still allowed to voice my opinion on the topic.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but there are some very legitimate arguments to support remakes across the board for all main games not yet on the 3DS. It doesn't just have to be "the same story with megas". ORAS were the same story but the games were well worth the replay, there were amazing features within them and, as someone who started with Ruby, they were some of the most enjoyable games to me in awhile, aside from XY, I haven't enjoyed a new game as much since HG/SS.

Anyways, the timeline needs fixing. Maybe you all aren't the type, but to a lot of us, storyline is very important, and right now it's ORAS -> XY, the gaps have to be filled, ideally with updated remakes, the thing I liked up to BW2 was the clear continuity, RSE took place alongside FRLG, DPPl and HGSS were three years later, BW was a bit after them and BW2 was two years after them. It was a clean timeline that made sense, and there were many references, especially in Gen V that kept it connected, such as the Rocket grunt from Kanto in HGSS, then the Aqua and Magma couple that is probably the same one shown post-game in ORAS.

I do think paired remakes for every missing region would be excessive, that's why I support single or third version remakes, maybe even released together. Like you all have mentioned, they'll do what they can just for money. We're still coming fresh off of XY, it feels too early for a next generation. I believe the rumors of a Kanto game this year and a Z or equivalent game in 2016. Look around you, the demand is here for a Kanto remake.

Just so everyone knows, this year's E3 is a digital event, exactly like last year's. And remember, if the rumour about Satoshi Tajiri appearing before E3 was true, then they would've had a big announcement on the Official Pokémon website about it. So pretty much... I have to debunk the rumour, sorry.

I'm not exactly sure if Junichi Masuda is now CEO of Game Freak, or if Satoshi Tajiri is still CEO. 'Cause I know Satoshi Tajiri hasn't been involved in any of the games' development since 2009 with HeartGold and SoulSilver. The last game he directed was Pokémon Platinum, if I remember correctly.

If we're to get some huge announcement of a new Pokémon games, whenever it's a Generation VII acting like Generation II in story-wise or X/Y sequels, it would be more likely to happen well after E3 2015. I'd assume it would be announced sometime around July or August.
Tajiri has not been in the director position since Crystal, back in 2000. He was granted the executive producer role ever since, much like Iwata is Executice Producer in pretty much every Nintendo game, despite not having that big of a role, and Masuda has been the director ever since RS, with exceptions like remakes and the occasilnal 3rd game. And no, announcing your developers or special guests this early for E3 is never gonna happen, the audience is feverent enough to deduce the announcements in a flash. I assume if this is something for Spike TV or Gametrailers we will hear something at the start of June.

Depending on the legitimacy of the video that's circulating (or more importantly whether the names mentioned in the video are merely placeholders), there could be a scenario where the E3 Digital Event unveils a new Pokemon game/project that Satoshi Tajiri himself has overseen the development of. I remember the 2014 Digital Event where a number of developers were interviewed regarding games such as Yoshi's Woolly World and Hyrule Warriors, so maybe Tajiri has finally decided to step back into the limelight at this year's event. Junichi Masuda appeared at E3 2013 and 2014 to promote XY and ORAS respectively due to his active role in producing said games, so it isn't as though Nintendo's shift to an online stream presentation has prevented key figures from gaining exposition at the physical event.

I don't think that a return to prominence of Tajiri in the build up to the 20th anniversary of his franchise would be that farfetched - plus there is still little under a month for Pokemon's social media outlets to hype up an announcement if there is to be one.
Basically. Even without this video, I had my thoughts of Pokemon's 20th being a major part of E3 for Ninty. It could be that which makes me want this to be true, but a lot of the other names/developers make me think it probably is as well. Infinity Ward is likely for something new from Activision trying to make another COD smash hit, Gaben for Valve's VR vision and so forth. Basically a lot of the names line up with a lot of the rumblings in the industry.
I'd love to see a refurbished Kanto, but not anytime soon. We just had remakes and a ton of Gen 1 pandering prior to that.

Come to think of it. In retrospect I think it might've been nice to have some stuff saved for the 20th...Picking the starters again, the Origins special, maybe even hold back some of the Kanto Megas for a bit. IDK.
I see all that more as GF lining the series up to a huge return for the 20th, getting the new audience up to speed. Origins is likely 99% the megaverse RG, which is why I see sequels happening. As for the starters, I dunno that was pretty weird. All in all though, there is a lot they can go for.

I'd rather get no Kanto than a new story in Kanto, to be honest. We need the original Kanto story, however modified, to fill the timeline, aside from Red and Leaf being your PCs, I don't care how the game progresses otherwise. It can be a Yellow remake with Pikachu as your starter or paired games with a choice of starter, additionally, the opposite PC could make some sort of cameo appearance for a battle, possibly in some facility like a Battle Tower/Maison/Frontier/PWT.

Personally, I have to say, I AM a fan of re-visiting the previous regions, with re-makes or with new games set there.

But Kanto has been visited in Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, and even Gen 6 was made Kanto-similar for the purpose of nostalgia (sooooo many references).

So my point is, out of all 6 regions, the one I don´t think should be re-visited now is Kanto. Maybe for the 25th anniversary of the Company, why not?

But I think Shinnoh and Unova deserve their remakes befor Kanto gets its SECOND remake.

Personally, Hoenn is my favourite region and it totally deserved its remake. And Shinnoh, my second favourite region, also deserves a remake.

But the main point I make for negating a Kanto remake NOW, is: KANTO IS THE SMALLEST REGION. With less cities and less routes then any other region. This means a game set in Kanto is going to be shorter than a game in any other region.

Wait for other remakes first. Then reboot Kanto completely,and make NEW games (or remakes) set in Kanto maybe in Gen 8, or 7 if you cn´t wait. But Kanto re-remakes already wouldn´t be fair.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not trying to be rude, but there are some very legitimate arguments to support remakes across the board for all main games not yet on the 3DS. It doesn't just have to be "the same story with megas". ORAS were the same story but the games were well worth the replay, there were amazing features within them and, as someone who started with Ruby, they were some of the most enjoyable games to me in awhile, aside from XY, I haven't enjoyed a new game as much since HG/SS.

I think the difference with ORAS and another trip to Kanto is that Hoenn had all its coverage back in Gen III and was left alone so Hoenn fans pretty much became starved.

Compare:

Gen I: nothing of course
Gen II: same as abive
Gen III: RSE main games
Gen IV: nothing
Gen V: nothing
Gen VI: remakes

Compare with Kanto:

Gen I: RBY main game
Gen II: GSC post-game
Gen III: FRLG main game
Gen IV: HGSS post-game
Gen V: nothing
Gen VI: almost crammed with references/throwbacks

You can't get away from it with Kanto, whereas Hoenn was basically irrelevant after Gen III (might be one or two references here and there in the later gens, I'm not that clued up on everything Hoenn like some of the fans will be).

Like I said, I'd be ok with a return to Kanto that isn't just the old Kanto with Megas for the sake of establishing this timeline. I'd want to see a lot of differences. I'm not a hater or trying to shut down the Kanto remake supporters, if they want to discuss the timeline, expanded plot, gym leaders/teams, locations in 3D or whatever else, I wouldn't attempt to shut them down I'd let them get on with it (I don't think I've even posted in the Kanto remake thread). It's just if it's the same place again with barely no changes I can't support it. It has to be worthwhile going back for it to interest me.

Look around you, the demand is here for a Kanto remake.

I know people want it, I just don't agree with how they want it. But maybe that's just me.

Maybe I need to accept I'm in the minority these days and that Pokemon isn't ever going to evolve (hue puns) with it instead sticking to the same repeated formula.

I really don't get why people are anti Kanto? Yes XY had some elements in but we've not played through the main story for over 11 years!!

I don't understand why the people who are pro Kanto consider this a good reason? It might have been 11 years, but we've still played through the main story twice now, we don't need to do it a third time. Especially when things like picking a Kanto starter, the legendary birds to catch, Mewtwo in a cave, Viridian Forest, needing a PokeFlute for Snorlax and whatever else I'm forgetting were already in XY. We even had Pokemon Origins - an anime based on the games - when XY launched. I don't know how drawn out Kanto fans want it to be? I don't care if it is 11 years, it makes no difference to how much repetitiveness there would be going back and playing it again after all the exposure its had.
Well with all due respect there are more people in the fan community than just you and I, we may have played through it twice, but Nintendos target audience of 7-12 likely haven't played it at all. Things like Pokemon Origins were there likely to peak their interest
If we are going back then I want to see big changes to Kanto + its characters, preferably due to a time skip where lots of things have changed. I don't want to be replaying R/B/FR/LG for the third time just with different graphics.
Well if you don't want to play it for a 3rd time, then don't buy it for a 3rd time. Why should the fans who want a remake, and the fans who have never played it go without just because a few don't want it. Remember us golden oldies are not the majority of the fanbase.
Also I'm taking that video with the names with a huge grain of salt. I don't expect anything to come of it.

Only time can tell, it's odd to use the name of someone who's not been around for 10 years as a placeholder like some are suggesting.

I really don't get why people are anti Kanto? Yes XY had some elements in but we've not played through the main story for over 11 years!!

I don't understand why the people who are pro Kanto consider this a good reason? It might have been 11 years, but we've still played through the main story twice now, we don't need to do it a third time. Especially when things like picking a Kanto starter, the legendary birds to catch, Mewtwo in a cave, Viridian Forest, needing a PokeFlute for Snorlax and whatever else I'm forgetting were already in XY. We even had Pokemon Origins - an anime based on the games - when XY launched. I don't know how drawn out Kanto fans want it to be? I don't care if it is 11 years, it makes no difference to how much repetitiveness there would be going back and playing it again after all the exposure its had.

If we are going back then I want to see big changes to Kanto + its characters, preferably due to a time skip where lots of things have changed. I don't want to be replaying R/B/FR/LG for the third time just with different graphics.

Also I'm taking that video with the names with a huge grain of salt. I don't expect anything to come of it.

Completely agree. Kanto is the smallest region as of number of cities and towns, etc.

I would much prefer an other Hoenn game (quite unlikely to be the next project though), an other Kalos set of games or Sinnoh remakes/new games (Sinnoh is the region I played the least and its my second favourite so even remakes are ok for me). Kanto is Ok. Personally, I like all the regions but Kanto is my n5 rfavourite region. I think a game set in Hoenn, Sinnoh, Kalos or a new region is a better Idea.
So 11 years is too early for another Kanto instalment, but 1 year for another Hoenn instalment is completely fine?
If the game is gonna be a Kanto based one, I´d be glad if it was more Yellow- based, rather than Blue or Red. Or a whole new game with a different Kanto. Bigger, and changed, like BW2...

It'd have to be yellow as there are only 2 slots left for games in XY/ORAS coding one of which is reserved for the 3rd Kalos instalment. Also yellow works nicely as its a 20th anniversary celebration of the whole franchise, of which the anime is a part.

Um no, you have not "debunked" the theory. You've stated your opinion on the theory.

No one is shoving it down your throat, you are a free individual, you are free not to buy it. It's you trying to stuff things down our throats, saying that the fans who've never played Gen 1, and the fans of remakes can't have them because you've played it twice and don't particularly want to again.

---

No, we don't *need* those games. Again because for one, they'd be essentially the same but with a handful of Trainers who use Megas, but for two, and more importantly, the storyline means absolutely nothing in terms of their business model. They're not going to pour all of their resources into remakes *just* so that you can battle Cynthia with a Mega Garchomp. If there are to be Sinnoh remakes, then it will be because they have determined that the demand is sufficient enough to warrant their creation and the costs that it would take to produce them. It won't be because the storyline twitched and changed its setting. Fantasy doesn't dictate reality here; reality does.

ORAS weren't made because they felt a slavish, overwhelming compulsion to show us what Hoenn would like in the "Mega Universe." ORAS were made because there was a long-time demand for Hoenn remakes, which they eventually decided would =$$$$$$$$, and because they needed to salvage what they could from the 3DS after it and the Wii U weren't selling all that well.

The same arguments were made for why we didn't need Gen 2 remakes, for why we didn't need Gen 3 remakes, and my crystall ball tells me the same people will be peddling the same argument for why we don't need the inevitable Gen 4 remakes. No game is "needed", but many games are "wanted".

Oh you poor thing, no one is saying you can't have an opinion, we know you don't want them, you've told us loud and clear, but you expect that Nintendo needs your approval, or needs to cater specifically for your opinion.

You have played it numerous times, most fans haven't. They key demographic of 7-12 year olds won't have been born when FRLG came out, and are incredibly unlikely to have bought it years later. With all due respect I don't think Nintendo will lose much sleep if you boycott Kanto remakes, I doubt you will be able to stick to it either, I was going to boycott ORAS remakes but in the end I still bought them and played them.

I don't know about main series crossovers (though I think Game Freak could use some help from other RPG companies in the gameplay department but that's for another topic). More side-game crossovers I would be down with though. Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem are two that would work well with Pokemon imo.

The crossover thing was more of a joke than anything. The main point is, as you said, it would not be a bad thing for Game Freak to admit that they need help from other game companies. As they are now, GF seems to be stuck in their own little bubble. Part of this may be due to Japan's cultural communication placing importance on saving face. However, even a Japanese company like them needs to stop ignoring what their fans wants in favor of streamlining a game for an audience that will never buy a dedicated console anyways. They don't seem to be listening to any criticism so far.

Other than that though, Game Freak seems to think that all they need to do to keep Pokémon successful is to sole rely on nostalgia and stripping the games to their bare essentials. This is only going to piss off their fans and cause a once successful company to crash and burn into the ground. This is where I believe that another company should step in and rectify these flaws. For example, Compile Heart is a company that, while lazy with their budget and idea, at least rectify their shortcomings by actually taking criticism of their past games and addressing them in future titles. This is what they did when they fixed the story for the remake of their first Hyperdimension Neptunia title. Also, while their ideas are also as unoriginal as Game Freak has been lately, Compile Heart makes up for it with humorous and well-formed presentation.

Square-Enix also has a long running series in Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. With the former series, Square manages to have multiple soteis in the same franchise as their own titles and identities, and their later series happens to make all their games enjoyable without requiring that you play the other games, much like Game Freak is currently aiming for. Yet, neither Final Fantasy nor Kingdom Hearts strip the quality of their games just so newcomers wouldn't be too frustrated.

Overall, my point is that other gaming companies seem to be employing similar strategies that Game Freak is aiming for, only without sacrificing content and quality just to make their games more accessible. GF could learn a thing or two from other companies, and right now I think it would be better in the long run for Game Freak to team up with a larger and more-capable company.

Completely agree. Kanto is the smallest region as of number of cities and towns, etc.

I would much prefer an other Hoenn game (quite unlikely to be the next project though), an other Kalos set of games or Sinnoh remakes/new games (Sinnoh is the region I played the least and its my second favourite so even remakes are ok for me). Kanto is Ok. Personally, I like all the regions but Kanto is my n5 rfavourite region. I think a game set in Hoenn, Sinnoh, Kalos or a new region is a better Idea.
So 11 years is too early for another Kanto instalment, but 1 year for another Hoenn instalment is completely fine?
If the game is gonna be a Kanto based one, I´d be glad if it was more Yellow- based, rather than Blue or Red. Or a whole new game with a different Kanto. Bigger, and changed, like BW2...

It'd have to be yellow as there are only 2 slots left for games in XY/ORAS coding one of which is reserved for the 3rd Kalos instalment. Also yellow works nicely as its a 20th anniversary celebration of the whole franchise, of which the anime is a part.

----------

I didn´t say they should make an other Hoenn remake now, I just said that´s what I would prefer.

I agree about yellow, but I had NO IDEA that this generation only had 2 slots left in it´s coding. So if they make Kalos sequels, does it mean any remakes coming after will be part of Gen 7?

About your explanation about "the targeted audience of the age of 7- 12" wanting Kanto remakes cause they never played the originals and the remakes, I think you are contradicting yourself. The Kanto remakes demand is coming from the Kanto-nostalgia-players, and those are NOT the 7-12 key targeted audience you imply. The targeted audience CAN´T feel nostalgia for a region they have never visited LOL.

The targeted audience of 7- 12 doesn´t care where the next games are going to be located, they just want more new Pokemon and cool features. They don´t prefer Kanto over any other region.

But if Nintendo´s argument is "they young audience never visited Kanto... It´s true, but have they visited Johto? No. Shinnoh? No. Remember, the last time we visited Johto, we visited Kanto too, cause it was a 2 region game.

Last edited:

Well with all due respect there are more people in the fan community than just you and I, we may have played through it twice, but Nintendos target audience of 7-12 likely haven't played it at all. Things like Pokemon Origins were there likely to peak their interest
Well if you don't want to play it for a 3rd time, then don't buy it for a 3rd time. Why should the fans who want a remake, and the fans who have never played it go without just because a few don't want it. Remember us golden oldies are not the majority of the fanbase.

Only time can tell, it's odd to use the name of someone who's not been around for 10 years as a placeholder like some are suggesting.

Um no, you have not "debunked" the theory. You've stated your opinion on the theory.

No one is shoving it down your throat, you are a free individual, you are free not to buy it. It's you trying to stuff things down our throats, saying that the fans who've never played Gen 1, and the fans of remakes can't have them because you've played it twice and don't particularly want to again.

---

The same arguments were made for why we didn't need Gen 2 remakes, for why we didn't need Gen 3 remakes, and my crystall ball tells me the same people will be peddling the same argument for why we don't need the inevitable Gen 4 remakes. No game is "needed", but many games are "wanted".

Oh you poor thing, no one is saying you can't have an opinion, we know you don't want them, you've told us loud and clear, but you expect that Nintendo needs your approval, or needs to cater specifically for your opinion.

You have played it numerous times, most fans haven't. They key demographic of 7-12 year olds won't have been born when FRLG came out, and are incredibly unlikely to have bought it years later. With all due respect I don't think Nintendo will lose much sleep if you boycott Kanto remakes, I doubt you will be able to stick to it either, I was going to boycott ORAS remakes but in the end I still bought them and played them.

Speaking of target audiences, hasn't anyone noticed that GF has been paying attention more and more to the older fans? They announced Gen5 with clearly the intention to appeal to the adult fanbase, and all those Kanto throwbacks AND answering the demand to Hoenn remakes indicates that GF knows that the older fans are important. There was a report where the percentage of the adult consumers of the games are increasing, while the over all sales are pretty much the same - a.k.a., the percentage of new kids playing the games are decreasing. Nobody can't ignore the older fanbase now - not even GF. Their early fans have grown up, got jobs and have incomes and most importantly, have the choice to support the games as long as they are satisfying. The adult fanbase is no longer outside the target audience.

That being said, that's probably why they've been resorting to nostalgia so much over the recent years. After their intentional announcement that Gen5 was created with the adult fans in mind, we've been given fanservice after fanservice. Want a mature storyline? Miss the old gym leaders? Champions? Here's the PWT. Oh look, good old Red and Green are animated. You want Bulbasaur? Fear not - you can get it as a starter again! Want Mewtwo? We'll give you Mega Mewtwo! Everyone loves Charizard so we'll give him two megas! Hoenn confirmed memes all over the internet? THE FANS WANT HOENN. Heck wynaut HOENN CONFIRMED.

GF is going to play the nostalgia card for as long as they can if there is enough demand to make a profit out of it. But remaking a remake isn't the answer. That's down right laziness; that's being uncreative; and that's tossing a direct insult at the fans who have supported them all these years. "Hey, here's Kanto with the exact same carbon copy story just as Gen1 and in FRLG. We updated the graphics to 3D so be grateful for that. Have fun being Red for the third time! Smell ya!"

I don't think that's 'answering fan demand'. I'm not opposed to Kanto remakes, but if they really care about the fans so much to over-play the nostalgia card... I hope they know what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom