• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. What is well known is there are two location slots left for games. It's either paired XY sequels, paired Kanto remakes, or a Kanto remake and Z version. That I'm certain of, but they could do something crazy that surprises us all. I do think the second or third options are the most likely.

@Meta Boss

Or maybe... They're withholding compatibility DLC to link XY and ORAS with.... KANTO REMAKES which would have new megas that would need a compatibility DLC anyways. Why do one twice when you can do one at the end of the Generation?!

Regardless of whether we have kanto games, kalos games, sinnoh or whatever, it makes literally no sense for them to hold off of making a compatibility patch simply because they'd have to do it twice. Making this patch would not be so time and resource consuming that it would be worth holding off so they can just make it once.

You also have to bear in mind that the big pro of not patching full compatibility is it means more people will be buying the newer games. If they could just trade and get the latest megas I'm sure many people wouldn't buy the new games. Think of it like how t was in the past. If you wanted to use Black/White Kyurem or the therian formes you needed to buy BW2. It's the same thing here. Sure they could patch in compatibility and it'd be nice, but from a business point of view (which gamefreak is ultimately) it doesn't make sense. Especially since the drawbacks of not patching are relatively insignificant in comparison to the pros.

@Meta Boss

Or maybe... They're withholding compatibility DLC to link XY and ORAS with.... KANTO REMAKES which would have new megas that would need a compatibility DLC anyways. Why do one twice when you can do one at the end of the Generation?!

Regardless of whether we have kanto games, kalos games, sinnoh or whatever, it makes literally no sense for them to hold off of making a compatibility patch simply because they'd have to do it twice. Making this patch would not be so time and resource consuming that it would be worth holding off so they can just make it once.

You also have to bear in mind that the big pro of not patching full compatibility is it means more people will be buying the newer games. If they could just trade and get the latest megas I'm sure many people wouldn't buy the new games. Think of it like how t was in the past. If you wanted to use Black/White Kyurem or the therian formes you needed to buy BW2. It's the same thing here. Sure they could patch in compatibility and it'd be nice, but from a business point of view (which gamefreak is ultimately) it doesn't make sense. Especially since the drawbacks of not patching are relatively insignificant in comparison to the pros.

Yes, I have stated the same previously. I call that an "extortion".

But they will not lose any money, if they release a MegaEvo-patch AFTER everybody has already bought the new games (whatever they are).

@Meta Boss

Well if that's what some people care about. I buy every game for the story. I do literally own every Pokemon game from Gen III up, compatibility is so I can trade, for example, my OR team and use them in Y, without mega stones and primal evolution not being available to me, but I do see your point and it honestly doesn't bother me. I try to build my in-game Pokemon that use megas so that I can use them without their mega evo as well.

Side note: My in-game teams as of Gen VI are no push over. I soft reset and use synchronize to get the ideal natures and in some cases (like legendaries with 3 31 IVs) even to get ideal IVs. I then use ORAS with the inclusion of EV berries to get the EVs how I want them. It makes the game more fun, yet challenging because I put time and effort into making this possible.

Yes, I have stated the same previously. I call that an "extortion".

But they will not lose any money, if they release a MegaEvo-patch AFTER everybody has already bought the new games (whatever they are).

For between XY and ORAS? Sure. But the patch in the OP is referred to between XY, ORAS and these kanto remakes. In that case you see that the whole 'why buy kanto remakes if I can get the stones through trade' argument pops up. Unless we're talking literally RIGHT at the end of the generation, in which case I assume it would be of little point since the amount of people who would still be playing gen 6 and care that strongly/benefit about/from compatibility would be extremely low in number. Presumably, GF would rather keep the focus on Gen 7.

Well if that's what some people care about. I buy every game for the story. I do literally own every Pokemon game from Gen III up, compatibility is so I can trade, for example, my OR team and use them in Y, without mega stones and primal evolution not being available to me, but I do see your point and it honestly doesn't bother me. I try to build my in-game Pokemon that use megas so that I can use them without their mega evo as well.

Side note: My in-game teams as of Gen VI are no push over. I soft reset and use synchronize to get the ideal natures and in some cases (like legendaries with 3 31 IVs) even to get ideal IVs. I then use ORAS with the inclusion of EV berries to get the EVs how I want them. It makes the game more fun, yet challenging because I put time and effort into making this possible.

Yeah that's a valid point, most people who care enough about new megas would probably be buying the new games anyways. But perhaps we should think about the competitive side of things. At the start of the next videogame competition, the games used are always the latest ones. Many people into VGC will have to buy the latest games for this, and if there was full compatibility then they wouldn't need to change the base game being used, they could just use all the games in a generation for the VGCs that occur within it, and that could possibly be a loss of a fair amount of games sold there,e specially for people only interested in the competitive.

Last edited:
Someone still has to get the new items/stones/Pokemon to be able to trade them out, they won't pop into the GTS out of nowhere, SOMEONE has to play the new games, and like I said, if Kanto remakes come last, a month or two after their release, just come out with a universal Gen VI patch.

Okay, at this point I might as well just pour a canister of gasoline on the fire, but apparently there's major movie news for the 18th if June. Hoopa Unbound is already out in the wild, so its either hyperbole, or there is some new forme/mega coming. And lets be honest, during E3for something like that is a perfect opportunity to showcase it in new games. Just spitballing here, but you know....

Whoa why did this thread turn into an argument about Kanto? Gee well at the risk of just being ignored I have to say I'm in the boat of not wanting anymore Kanto. I'm 26 and played red and blue when they first came out. I've been on board for every major Pokemon realease and got it day one. So yeah the thought of playing Kanto again is rather boring.

While I admit that is my fault for playing it 20 times or so by now. What I don't understand is why people think Gen 1 remakes would be that good? Gen 1 was the most bare bones region of them all. It has no interesting geographic locations. It's city's are rather boring. And it's roads are some of the most straght and short routes in pokemon history with nothing to distinguish them from each other. Which is not helped by the fact that all the gates look the same and four of them even have a clone of the same guard inside.

Red and blue were good games at the time. But they are not good games now. The whole region would have to be remade and I would rather game freak be working on a new generation with that time.

If they make Kanto remakes then I'm sure I'll eventually get around to playing them. But I would rather that never be a thing in the first place.

Whoa why did this thread turn into an argument about Kanto? Gee well at the risk of just being ignored I have to say I'm in the boat of not wanting anymore Kanto. I'm 26 and played red and blue when they first came out. I've been on board for every major Pokemon realease and got it day one. So yeah the thought of playing Kanto again is rather boring.

While I admit that is my fault for playing it 20 times or so by now. What I don't understand is why people think Gen 1 remakes would be that good? Gen 1 was the most bare bones region of them all. It has no interesting geographic locations. It's city's are rather boring. And it's roads are some of the most straght and short routes in pokemon history with nothing to distinguish them from each other. Which is not helped by the fact that all the gates look the same and four of them even have a clone of the same guard inside.

Red and blue were good games at the time. But they are not good games now. The whole region would have to be remade and I would rather game freak be working on a new generation with that time.

If they make Kanto remakes then I'm sure I'll eventually get around to playing them. But I would rather that never be a thing in the first place.

It's to satisfy the timeline, appeal to the newer generations, and give Kanto a chance to not be straightforward and boring.

Okay, at this point I might as well just pour a canister of gasoline on the fire, but apparently there's major movie news for the 18th if June. Hoopa Unbound is already out in the wild, so its either hyperbole, or there is some new forme/mega coming. And lets be honest, during E3for something like that is a perfect opportunity to showcase it in new games. Just spitballing here, but you know....

I heard a rumor that on June 16th, Tajiri was going to announce a new game along with whatever else you mentioned. I didn't hear the 18th, regardless, as I said a page or two ago, within the next 30 days something big will be announced.

Someone still has to get the new items/stones/Pokemon to be able to trade them out, they won't pop into the GTS out of nowhere, SOMEONE has to play the new games, and like I said, if Kanto remakes come last, a month or two after their release, just come out with a universal Gen VI patch.

Well I mean, typically for competitive people only need some mega stones, not all of them. And when we consider exploits like powersaves and people who just don't care for stones as well as the thriving online trading scene, it's not that unreasonable to get mega stones. You gotta remember these people right, they really don't care for story, gameplay, new features, etc. They've see the main game as fluff before the real game, competitive battling. Due to this, I'm gonna go ahead and predict that only a few of these people will cave and buy the new games instead of just waiting a few months before they can trade or whatever. Online battle simulators are usually updated very quickly within a games release, so it's not like they'd be unable to experience the new things with regards to battle.

Could you hit me with a source on that? Serebii only talks about a pikachu special airing.

I agree. If they made a sequel or just brand new story set in Kanto that's been heavily expanded upon, then that would be perfect. New players get to experience Kanto and all the older fans from Gen 1 to Gen 4 get something new to play with. And considering that GF appears to be more receptive of their older fanbase now, that may well be a possibility.

I don't like the idea of Kanto remakes again either. I'd rather have a Kanto sequel in the same fashion as B2W2. But a Kalos sequel would probably be more likely.

Well I mean, typically for competitive people only need some mega stones, not all of them. And when we consider exploits like powersaves and people who just don't care for stones as well as the thriving online trading scene, it's not that unreasonable to get mega stones. You gotta remember these people right, they really don't care for story, gameplay, new features, etc. They've see the main game as fluff before the real game, competitive battling. Due to this, I'm gonna go ahead and predict that only a few of these people will cave and buy the new games instead of just waiting a few months before they can trade or whatever. Online battle simulators are usually updated very quickly within a games release, so it's not like they'd be unable to experience the new things with regards to battle.

Could you hit me with a source on that? Serebii only talks about a pikachu special airing.

I agree. If they made a sequel or just brand new story set in Kanto that's been heavily expanded upon, then that would be perfect. New players get to experience Kanto and all the older fans from Gen 1 to Gen 4 get something new to play with. And considering that GF appears to be more receptive of their older fanbase now, that may well be a possibility.
bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/xy077-starly-174491/#post5547792
Serebii is smart for not mentioning it, the snowball effect would huge. Oho Shuta is after the Anime right? Because iirc, they do usually spring up surprises from time to time,v especially game footage and trailers for the movie. But yeah, Ultra Rare News makes it sound like something, well, ultra rare, like a legendary or a new forme. Its too coincidental for me, I can barely control myself. .

And thank you, someone gets why sequels are needed!

Oh yes... Pokémon fatigue has definitely settled in. Because this thread just went from actually discussing what the future of Gen 6 will be to a Kanto/anti-Kanto argument. Can we please stop this? Or can we just make a separate thread(or even a blog post) about whether or not Kanto should get another game/remake? Since they've already done remakes for this Gen, it's highly unlikely we'll be getting anymore remakes until probably the latter part of Gen 7. Which is like, a LONG ways off from now?

We are discussing a Kanto remake as a possibility for Gen 6 future, and there is a reverse argument saying it is unlikely to be part of gen 6s future. Seems perfectly in line with the topic to me.

Also Game Freak is proving time and time again, that just because something has "not happened before" doesn't mean it won't happen. Back in Gen 3, you could have said they won't remake Gen 1 because they've not remade games before, and Gen 1 was only about 4 or 5 years ago.

Back in Gen 5 you could have said sequels won't happen they've never done sequels before.

Now in Gen 6 you are saying a 2nd set of remakes can't happen, based on the fact its never happened before?

We already know they want to do something slightly unexpected, they've confirmed this, everyone is expexting Z next or XY sequels, so a Kanto remake could fit in with that statement.

I played Black and Black 2, so yeah, I'm aware of change. I wasn't born yesterday. I honestly don't give a shit about what they come out with next, I'm just so sick and tired of the arguing on here. You can't sit there and tell me that people throwing jabs at each other like "oh, you must be a Hoenn fan" and "that's such a Gen-wunner thing to say" isn't an argument, because it is. I can tell the difference between an argument and a discussion!

As I suggested earlier, something for Arceus? They're definitely hiding something about it.

The only major Pokemon revealed so far for the character sheet are Pikachu and Hoopa Confined. That means Hoopa Unbound is one.
The others should be Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza since it is a movie that's marketing ORAS.
That just leaves Arceus.

bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/xy077-starly-174491/#post5547792
Serebii is smart for not mentioning it, the snowball effect would huge. Oho Shuta is after the Anime right? Because iirc, they do usually spring up surprises from time to time,v especially game footage and trailers for the movie. But yeah, Ultra Rare News makes it sound like something, well, ultra rare, like a legendary or a new forme. Its too coincidental for me, I can barely control myself. .

And thank you, someone gets why sequels are needed!

Thank you. The key bit for us to be excited for then is:

In addition, we will also give you ultra rare news on this year's movie, Pokémon the Movie XY: "The Archdinni of Rings Hoopa"!
Make absolutely sure not to miss this June 18th special!

I do like that right now we have no clue what's waiting for us. We could get games in a past region, remakes, sequels, heck even possibly gen 7 or a hybrid of all these things. I just hope the official website isn't getting us all excited for something silly like 'ash loses his hat!'

As I suggested earlier, something for Arceus? They're definitely hiding something about it.

The only major Pokemon revealed so far for the character sheet are Pikachu and Hoopa Confined. That means Hoopa Unbound is one.
The others should be Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza since it is a movie that's marketing ORAS.
That just leaves Arceus.
Anything Arceus wpuld be the biggest WTF at this point. I would expect DP remakes to have held something for it, not se end of gen surprise. At this point anything can happen thougj, so why not? I wonder if Hoopa could be some form of apocalypsr trigger, and THAT'S the ecosystem disruption that Zygarde awakens to.

Thank you. The key bit for us to be excited for then is:

In addition, we will also give you ultra rare news on this year's movie, Pokémon the Movie XY: "The Archdinni of Rings Hoopa"!
Make absolutely sure not to miss this June 18th special!

I do like that right now we have no clue what's waiting for us. We could get games in a past region, remakes, sequels, heck even possibly gen 7 or a hybrid of all these things. I just hope the official website isn't getting us all excited for something silly like 'ash loses his hat!'
I feel that at the end of the day someone is going to be disappointed. But I also enjoy hype so part if me is getting excited for that new release cycle again. I guess we might get nothing till next year but I suspect we will see soon enough.

Um, I would just like to say that simply because there's two origin games left in the Gen. 6 games' coding is NOT confirmation of two more games. The Gen. 4 games have event slots for movies up to the 22nd movie (2019) so that means nothing.

And just because some people want to have the Mega Verse's timeline filled out does not mean it's a NECESSITY. We already know what happens. Red/Leaf start out in Pallet with Blue as a Rival, Prof. Oak sends them out to fill the Pokédex, they fight Team Rocket, they battle Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika, Sabrina, Koga, Blaine and Giovanni, and then they challenge Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha and Lance to inevitably fight Blue again and later capture Mewtwo. The ONLY difference would be that Giovanni and Blue would have Mega's during the main game, the E4 would have them post-game, and MAYBE you'd fight Mewtwo in its Mega Evolution for that wow factor.

So now, the timeline is fine with ORAS and XY because we already know what happens in FR/LG.

Now, if a Kanto remake really is happening, I would just like to bring up my Lightning Yellow idea yet again. It's the only way to still keep the basic R/G/B/Y/FR/LG story while making it fresh, different and exciting.

I personally would much rather have a Megaverse Yellow remake that's faithful to the original anime, right down to the geography (since anime Kanto is larger than game Kanto by far).

It could have Kanto and introduce the Orange Islands to the game universe putting them West of the Sevii Islands (Sevii Islands is Southeast of Fuchsia according to the path you take to get there, while the Orange Islands is to the South of the KanJoh continent and extends from Azalea Town to Fuchsia City according to Anime Maps)

So it would go like this: Original Series Kanto (EP01-EP80, M01) ---> Orange Islands (EP81-EP116, M02) ---> Sevii Islands (SS018, and they could retcon other Side Story episodes to take place in Sevii) ---> Advanced Generation Kanto (great way for us to get the Battle Frontier!!!) [EP406-EP466, M08-M09, MoMP]

If all original 116 episodes and the first two movies can fit (as simplified events) on a GBA cartridge, then I have no doubt GameFreak could do so much more with their official team and resources.

Um, I would just like to say that simply because there's two origin games left in the Gen. 6 games' coding is NOT confirmation of two more games. The Gen. 4 games have event slots for movies up to the 22nd movie (2019) so that means nothing.

And just because some people want to have the Mega Verse's timeline filled out does not mean it's a NECESSITY. We already know what happens. Red/Leaf start out in Pallet with Blue as a Rival, Prof. Oak sends them out to fill the Pokédex, they fight Team Rocket, they battle Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika, Sabrina, Koga, Blaine and Giovanni, and then they challenge Lorelei, Bruno, Agatha and Lance to inevitably fight Blue again and later capture Mewtwo. The ONLY difference would be that Giovanni and Blue would have Mega's during the main game, the E4 would have them post-game, and MAYBE you'd fight Mewtwo in its Mega Evolution for that wow factor.

So now, the timeline is fine with ORAS and XY because we already know what happens in FR/LG.

Now, if a Kanto remake really is happening, I would just like to bring up my Lightning Yellow idea yet again. It's the only way to still keep the basic R/G/B/Y/FR/LG story while making it fresh, different and exciting.

I personally would much rather have a Megaverse Yellow remake that's faithful to the original anime, right down to the geography (since anime Kanto is larger than game Kanto by far).

It could have Kanto and introduce the Orange Islands to the game universe putting them West of the Sevii Islands (Sevii Islands is Southeast of Fuchsia according to the path you take to get there, while the Orange Islands is to the South of the KanJoh continent and extends from Azalea Town to Fuchsia City according to Anime Maps)

So it would go like this: Original Series Kanto (EP01-EP80, M01) ---> Orange Islands (EP81-EP116, M02) ---> Sevii Islands (SS018, and they could retcon other Side Story episodes to take place in Sevii) ---> Advanced Generation Kanto (great way for us to get the Battle Frontier!!!) [EP406-EP466, M08-M09, MoMP]

If all original 116 episodes and the first two movies can fit (as simplified events) on a GBA cartridge, then I have no doubt GameFreak could do so much more with their official team and resources.

I'm fine with this as long as it features Red/Leaf still.

I'm fine with this as long as it features Red/Leaf still.

Well, it would be Red's Gen. 1 design (black hair, open red and white button-up, basically OS Ash) and Leaf's scrapped Gen. 1 design (black dress, white gloves, heels) in my mind, anyway. LOL But yeah, they'd both be in it because it would be the game plot and simply incorporate ALL of the anime's Kanto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom