• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think Super Mystery Dungeon is being released this year to hold us over until 2016. Until then, we'll probably get more OR/AS stuff like events.

While I understand that spin offs and main releqses have been back to back lately, PMD has always been a different beqst. This release will be no different for 3 reasons:
1. The series is the biggest after the main one. They would be sending it out to die if it came out with one month difference.
2. I can see June as the next release to be honest though. Akin to B2W2 and movie 15, they are closely tied.
3. The product description screams Hoopa Shenanigans, an ORAS speciality. The ges have always stuck closel to the last release, with a focus on the Kanto starters for PMD RT, time and space themes them Shaymin, and lastly Unova Pokemon. This latest release if focused on Hoopa will be nowhere a new main series game, I garuantee it.

Worst case scenario I think will be gen 7 Winter 16, with Hoopa portals from PMD transporting over Volcanion and a special Zygarde.

I personally think Super Mystery Dungeon is being released this year to hold us over until 2016. Until then, we'll probably get more OR/AS stuff like events.

Well there is that Volcannion event, AZ's Floette and events that we didn't get yet (thought Meloetta is the only one I can think of.)

The event mons that were released (albeit in japan) or are confirmed to be released in the future are:

• Pokemon Scrap: Shaymin, Keldio and Victini
  • Tanabata: Jirachi
  • Movies and accompanying shorts: Diancie, Arceus, Hoopa and Darkrai
  • Bank: Celebi

So, Meloetta, Genesect, Mew and Manaphy have yet to be released in Gen VI

I guess its safe to say that the detective Pikachu game that was supposed to come out this year has probably been cancelled or pushed away for a later release date. I was actually kind of looking forward to learning more about the game and its protagonist which was a special blue Pikachu (the true Pikablu, lol).

Anyways I'm hoping that this new Mystery Dungeon game is on par with the first five games of the series, especially the three from Generation 4 (Time, Darkness, and Sky) because I will definitely be buying it if it is.

I guess its safe to say that the detective Pikachu game that was supposed to come out this year has probably been cancelled or pushed away for a later release date.
Not really. The first Mystery Dungeon pair was released only a month after Trozei and 3 months after XD, and it isn't as if is 2015 is already swamped with releases. TPCi could easily be keeping Detective Pikachu's reveal for E3, which might explain the localization delay for Super Mystery Dungeon.

I guess its safe to say that the detective Pikachu game that was supposed to come out this year has probably been cancelled or pushed away for a later release date.
Not really. The first Mystery Dungeon pair was released only a month after Trozei and 3 months after XD, and it isn't as if is 2015 is already swamped with releases. TPCi could easily be keeping Detective Pikachu's reveal for E3, which might explain the localization delay for Super Mystery Dungeon.

Oh okay cool so then there is still hope. I didn't think about that and yeah it does add up as to why the localization for the next Mystery Dungeon title is on a delay.

That never stopped them before, why would it now?

Because these games are text-heavy, apparently, so it will take more time than simply translating a few names and a couple paragraphs of dialogue.

No more than the main games. Really, the main games are worse when it comes to dialogue because there's a lot more NPCs in the main games.

The new Mystery Dungeon game isn't necessarily an indication that there won't be a main series game this year. If anything, the lack of news about a main series game at this time of the year is a bigger factor than a spin-off game. I don't think that they've announced a new main series game at E3 before, but that would be the last point where I think they could announce a main series game either for this year or for next year. If the rumor about Satoshi Tajiri showing up at E3 is true, then it would most likely be an announcement regarding the 20th anniversary and possibly some Kanto related games. If there's nothing at E3 and the rumor turns out to be false, then we'd definitely wouldn't get a main series game until next year.

The game hasn't been confirmed to be eShop only, so it will likely have a physical release too. So yeah, it is a physical product. There could also be other reasons for the release gap; such as Mystery Dungeon being a text-heavy spin-off but not as high a priority for a global launch than the mainline games or it could be a scheduling decision by Nintendo of Europe, for example.

If it was just about translations, Europe would get it about the same time as NA, not several months later. It's probably something along the lines of the latter.
Nintendo of Europe would also have to localise the game into French, German, Italian and Spanish; which Nintendo of America wouldn't have to do. That could hold back a European release.

That never stopped them before, why would it now?
...but it has? It's stopped them loads of times before. Shuffle and Rumble World are hardly as text heavy as a Mystery Dungeon game would be and the game simply won't be as high a priority to get an international launch for than the main series would be. Even then though, the release gap only started to really close last generation.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon sounds really interesting! While Gates to Infinity suffered from having a shorter story than its predecessors, its biggest drawback was the fact that it mostly had Generation V Pokemon with only a few Pokemon of other generations. It was kind of interesting to play it like as a "what if" Pokemon only had Generation V Pokemon exist, but it was still pretty lame even if I did understand how hard it would have been to incorporate all the Pokemon and put enough maps to fit them all in. I vastly prefer Mystery Dungeon's setting, formula and narrative, and with "Super" being in the title I'm going to be the first to guess it's going to have all the Pokemon available to recruit. Or maybe it just really is the usual Japanese "extravagant" naming. This will even be the 4th generation it will have a game on, which I think really says a lot about its quality. It's a shame it's going to come a lot later in Europe, but I can wait, and it would satisfy me.

Super's description heavily implies that its only going to have about 60 Pokémon (it specifically mentions going on adventures with Legendary and Mythical Pokémon only, and I think we're up to like 55 of them now?)

Meanwhile, Sky had every Pokémon up to that point except for Arceus, which was fittingly represented as an omnipotent, unseen NPC and only appeared as a statue.

I have never played any of the spin off games. Are they usually good?

The Pokémon Ranger series is awesome. Also the only way to get a legitimate Manaphy Egg. The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series is probably the most popular, second only to the main series itself. I haven't played Red Rescue Team, but I have Blue Rescue Team, Explores of Time, Darkness and Sky and I can tell you that they are the most amazing games I've ever played, particularly the Gen. 4 trilogy (Time, Darkness, Sky). Gates To Infinity is pretty... BAD. Conquest seems to also be extremely popular. I bought it, but couldn't really get into it...

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is my absolute favorite part of the Pokémon franchise, and I'm so glad to discover that Gates To Infinity did not in fact kill the series as some people had speculated. I'm really excited for this, and I hope all 721 Pokémon are available.

Also, I hope they do a convincing reason to explain why there's Mega Evolutions in the Mystery Dungeon world. Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't want a Sky remake to accompany the eventual Diamond and Pearl remakes. But that could still happen! ^_^ I hope some of the event legends (specifically AZ's Floette) can be sent over from SMD to X/Y/OR/AS.

About the NX, I personally hope it´s related to the Wii U, and is substituting that, and not the 3DS. That´s cause Im mainly a hand- held Nintendo fan, and I like the 3DS and don´t think it should be substituted soon. In my opinion,it could easily host gen 7 too, before they release a new handheld (to host gen 8).

I agree. However, I would say that Gen 7 should be exclusive to the New Nintendo 3DS. That way, there will be more power to work with for a new game engine. I mean, the New Nintendo 3DS can handle about the power of a Wii, as shown by Xenoblade. So, I'd like if Gen 7 was a New Nintendo 3DS game. We'd still get a fantastic (hopefully) new technology boost, making it a good improvement over Gen 6, and it would feel more separate than Gens 4 and 5 were (since both could play on every DS model). It would be more like a Gen 1-2 jump, which I find attractive, as long as it comes soon before the 3DS starts nearing the end of its (expectedly quite long) lifecycle. Another reason for using the New Nintendo 3DS is this: The New model has given a great new breath of air into the 3DS lifespan. Unlike new models of the DS and such, the New 3DS actually has a great power boost in its technology, just like a totally new handheld would provide! A whole new generation (general gaming) of games could be housed on the New 3DS, taking the 3DS lifespan up to, maybe even, 2019 or so. That would be enough time, as well, for Pokemon to have its 7th Gen exclusively on the New 3DS.

Completely agree with you. I don´t know why everybody seems in a hurry for a new console, so soon after the New 3DS came out. It´s like they make the BEST 3DS model, which corrects the problems the original 3DS has, and start a new console. It makes no sense. I think the 3ds should keep being the newest Nintendo model.

Only one detail, about gen 7 being New Nintendo exclusive, and uncompatible with 3DS/2DS, i think its not a bad idea, but... I still don´t have the "New 3DS model"so in case I still don´t own it when Gen 7 comes out, would prefer to be able to play gen 7 on my 2DS (i got a 2DS, cause I read the first 3DS had many 3d problems, all of which seem to be corrected in the New model).

I personally think, because of the big power boost, we might as well consider the New 3DS a new console generation. I mean, I know it isn't truly. But considering the fact it has exclusive games and that beefy power boost, I still think it'd be best to break ties with regular 3DS and 2DS when moving on to Gen 7. It might meqan that a lot of people have to upgrade, yes. But I truly believe it would be for the best, for the sake of having better games with true advancement. I'd like to see Gen 7 start in 2017, hopefully.

^ Oh, and I think ORAS are fantastic. Definitely get one. Personally, I prefer Alpha Sapphire. Definitely don't skip out. And yeah, I think we can be sure of no new main series games this year, now that we know it's Mystery Dungeon, which I'm really looking forward to. I hope that they do it better than the last few. Honestly, I only really liked the original so far. I didn't fully play Gates to Infinity, but from what I did play, I thought it sucked personally. Probably won't get another main series game until February at the earliest.

I wouldn't consider the New 3DS a new console, for the same reason the DSi wasn't one, everyone said "But the DSi has exclusive games." "Generation 5 should be for the DSi only." That didn't happen, now maybe things will change for the New 3DS but I doubt it. It's just an updated, upgraded 3DS. And to be honest I'm not a big fan of it because I prefer the 3DS's normal size of the XL, and thanks to Nintendo, we only got the XL version of the New 3DS in America. I REALLY did want the New 3DS in the standard size.

Super's description heavily implies that its only going to have about 60 Pokémon (it specifically mentions going on adventures with Legendary and Mythical Pokémon only, and I think we're up to like 55 of them now?)

Meanwhile, Sky had every Pokémon up to that point except for Arceus, which was fittingly represented as an omnipotent, unseen NPC and only appeared as a statue.

Do you really think it's going to be that few Pokemon, let alone just legendaries? They wouldn't go that far. And considering that this is the first Mystery Dungeon games since Mega Evolutions were introduced and they'll probably be featured prominently in this game, I highly doubt it will be anywhere near that few. In fact now that I think about it, they've had a lot more experience with 3D graphics since GtI so I don't think they'll have the same problems with lack of Pokemon, I think they can easily manage at least 300-400 out of the 720 if not all of them.

I seriously doubt the dungeon rooms would be just filled with legendaries, that would make them incredibly common and easy to get once recruitment is available. It only mentions it as being part of the plot and that legendaries are recruitable.

Yeah, we could still get some new main game announcement later on in the year with the new game coming out on February.

Uh! If we had to have a 3rd spin off in a couple of months why couldn't it have been Pokemon Ranger, or something like Colloseum.

I cannot stand mystery dungeon, I played Blue Rescue Team, and that was quite enough. (Whereas Ranger I loved! <3 ) and I personally thought/hoped PMD had died a painful death.

However, this does not dent my hopes for a kanto main series game early 2016, Satoshi Tajiri isn't coming out of his decade long retirement just to talk about the latest in a series he had no involvement in.

The new Mystery Dungeon game isn't necessarily an indication that there won't be a main series game this year. If anything, the lack of news about a main series game at this time of the year is a bigger factor than a spin-off game. I don't think that they've announced a new main series game at E3 before, but that would be the last point where I think they could announce a main series game either for this year or for next year. If the rumor about Satoshi Tajiri showing up at E3 is true, then it would most likely be an announcement regarding the 20th anniversary and possibly some Kanto related games. If there's nothing at E3 and the rumor turns out to be false, then we'd definitely wouldn't get a main series game until next year.

I was thinking the same thing. They could still reveal a new main series game(s) at E3 for the upcoming 20th anniversary. If that happened we'd have 9 months until release (assuming the game(s) are released in February) which is the same number of months we had when X & Y were revealed. That would leave them with plenty of time to hype up the game(s) in the upcoming months and that is of course assuming that the game(s) is something to commemorate the 20th anniversary which I imagine is something that would be on par with the first games of a new generation (hence why we'd get so much hype time). Also why else (assuming the rumor is true) would Satoshi Tajiri step back into the limelight after being out of it for over a decade? I can't imagine that it'd be for something like a spin-off game. It's one of the reasons why I'm assuming that the detective Pikachu game that is supposed to come out this year is either cancelled or was pushed away for a later release date but I guess we have to wait until E3 to see what happens.

Also why else (assuming the rumor is true) would Satoshi Tajiri step back into the limelight after being out of it for over a decade?
I recommend taking that rumor with a pinch of salt, as it sounds too good to be true. Tajiri didn't even attend a recent event where Red and Green were given an award (alongside ORAS).

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. They could still reveal a new main series game(s) at E3 for the upcoming 20th anniversary. If that happened we'd have 9 months until release (assuming the game(s) are released in February) which is the same number of months we had when X & Y were revealed. That would leave them with plenty of time to hype up the game(s) in the upcoming months and that is of course assuming that the game(s) is something to commemorate the 20th anniversary which I imagine is something that would be on par with the first games of a new generation (hence why we'd get so much hype time). Also why else (assuming the rumor is true) would Satoshi Tajiri step back into the limelight after being out of it for over a decade? I can't imagine that it'd be for something like a spin-off game. It's one of the reasons why I'm assuming that the detective Pikachu game that is supposed to come out this year is either cancelled or was pushed away for a later release date but I guess we have to wait until E3 to see what happens.

The timing just feels so wrong though. We've had two quick-succession games, with one of them the shoving Kanto up our noses at every opportunity. By the 3DS' estimated lifecycle, we should have time for one more quick gen, but it's too long to extend gen VI like this. We know GF only has two teams working separately, max, and XY launched, what, a year and a bit ago? If there's going to be a gen VII on 3DS, the team would be working on that. There's that Yokai Watch thing and Zelda's also doing a big reboot (both franchises overlap considerably with Pokemon's audience). Now add Mystery Dungeon to distract things further.

I'm not against the idea per se, although I am thoroughly sick of Kanto and I think 25th anniversary would be better to let the nostalgia stew for a bit. It's just that the timing feels so off.

If there has to be Kanto games, it should be for the 25th anniversary and not the 20th, the 20th isn't really that special of an anniversary.
So possible Kanto remakes/sequels for 2021, and DP remakes for 2019 or 2020 if they continue one of the patterns... I question how that Generation will turn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom