• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there has to be Kanto games, it should be for the 25th anniversary and not the 20th, the 20th isn't really that special of an anniversary.
Tell that to Final Fantasy. Here's a novel idea: They can celebrate the 20th anniversary and the 25th anniversary considering that they're 5 years apart.

So possible Kanto remakes/sequels for 2021, and DP remakes for 2019 or 2020 if they continue one of the patterns... I question how that Generation will turn out.
It makes much more sense to revisit one old region per generation. Should Generation VII be released for the 3DS, Kanto sequels would work well in 2017 so as not to go overboard with remakes. One set of remakes every 5 years is more than enough.

Do you really think it's going to be that few Pokemon, let alone just legendaries? They wouldn't go that far. And considering that this is the first Mystery Dungeon games since Mega Evolutions were introduced and they'll probably be featured prominently in this game, I highly doubt it will be anywhere near that few. In fact now that I think about it, they've had a lot more experience with 3D graphics since GtI so I don't think they'll have the same problems with lack of Pokemon, I think they can easily manage at least 300-400 out of the 720 if not all of them.

I definitely don't think they would go that far. But the specific calling out of Legendary and Mythical Pokémon makes me suspicious. Maybe it'll be like Pokémon Ranger and you'll be able to send some of them to your main game?

We know GF only has two teams working separately, max, and XY launched, what, a year and a bit ago? If there's going to be a gen VII on 3DS, the team would be working on that.

If I remember right, the main team works on the paired versions (X/Y) while the back-up team works on remakes if any (OR/AS) and once the paired versions are released, the main team goes to work on the new generation, while the back-up team gets to work on the final installment of the generation after remakes are out. This doesn't take as long since the main team has already made the base version of the paired games so the back-up team only needs to modify dialogue, habitat lists, some events, maybe add a few areas.

So we're still on track. Especially since Mystery Dungeon isn't made by GameFreak at all. (Chunsoft? I might be wrong.)

I see a lot of people seem certain about Kanto games. Is that based on anything, or is it just fan desire?

Uh! If we had to have a 3rd spin off in a couple of months why couldn't it have been Pokemon Ranger, or something like Colloseum.

I cannot stand mystery dungeon, I played Blue Rescue Team, and that was quite enough. (Whereas Ranger I loved! <3 ) and I personally thought/hoped PMD had died a painful death.

However, this does not dent my hopes for a kanto main series game early 2016, Satoshi Tajiri isn't coming out of his decade long retirement just to talk about the latest in a series he had no involvement in.

Is that really right though? Whilst you enjoyed ranger but not mystery dungeon, many people enjoyed mystery dungeon and hoping for the entire spin off to just die seems both selfish and nonsensical. The mystery Dungeon games are made by Spike Chunsoft whilst the second and third ranger games were made by Creatures Inc. They're both completely different developers so I don't really understand why you wouldn't want mystery dungeon at all. I highly doubt mystery dungeon existing is preventing ranger games from being made. Of course I'd like another ranger game as well but we just have to wait and see, at no point did they bury the ranger series. That said, the latest ranger game has sold approximately 1.29 million units over 4-5 years whilst Gates to Infinity has sold 1.17 million after 2.5 years ish. Considering ranger was on the ds and gates was only on the 3ds, it's clear that sales wise mystery dungeon is much more profitable than ranger, so perhaps that explains the long time since the last release.

I see a lot of people seem certain about Kanto games. Is that based on anything, or is it just fan desire?

There isn't really much concrete per say. The main thing people are using as evidence is next year being the 20th anniversary and the original kanto storyline not being seen since fr/lg on the gba. The possible appearance of Satoshi Tajiri at e3 also helped people arrive at the conclusion that we're seeing Kanto remade. Personally I can see it happening, but I'd rather we got games set in kanto that follows a new story since we pretty much know the gist of the mega evolution path Kanto storyline with Red thanks to Origins and because we've seen all the kanto starters/mewtwo and many kanto pokemon receive mega evolutions already.

Well I'm more then satisfied with the announcement of a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game. With the other games I have on my plate now that should be more then enough to keep my going until 2016. Still not sure what we're getting for Pokemon's 20th though.

There isn't really much concrete per say. The main thing people are using as evidence is next year being the 20th anniversary and the original kanto storyline not being seen since fr/lg on the gba. The possible appearance of Satoshi Tajiri at e3 also helped people arrive at the conclusion that we're seeing Kanto remade. Personally I can see it happening, but I'd rather we got games set in kanto that follows a new story since we pretty much know the gist of the mega evolution path Kanto storyline with Red thanks to Origins and because we've seen all the kanto starters/mewtwo and many kanto pokemon receive mega evolutions already.

Actually I would say that the revelation in the Delta Episode about the Mega Evolution/non-Mega Evolution multiverse is concrete enough to say there is enough reason to think that there will be another Kanto remake. And for Arceus's sake, why are people saying that Origins is a substitute for the Mega Evolution Kanto storyline? I can't see it being canon to the games at all, considering that Origins seemed to be based off more of the original RBG (which I don't even think should be considered canon anymore) with some Kalos references hashed on at the very end (and once in the second episode). I would see a Kanto storyline in the Mega Evolution universe more similar to FRLG where Pokemon past the first 151 exist and are known, the Dark and Steel types apply (and now, Fairy types as well) and Mega Evolutions are known and used as much as in ORAS (which I would assume takes place at the same time as Mega Evolution Kanto).

And at the original subject of this thread, I would like to see a Kanto re-remake and a sequel of XY before we move on to Generation VII.

Actually I would say that the revelation in the Delta Episode about the Mega Evolution/non-Mega Evolution multiverse is concrete enough to say there is enough reason to think that there will be another Kanto remake.

I disagree. You don't make important business/production decisions based on a comparatively trivial plot point in a game that will cease to be relevant in only a few years. People are treating the multiverse thing as something far, far more important than it actually is. Heck, we've known of a Pokémon multiverse since Gen V... nobody fussed about which universe X and Y would each take place in. "Oh, but will Y be in the Black timeline or the White timeline??" - didn't happen.

And for Arceus's sake, why are people saying that Origins is a substitute for the Mega Evolution Kanto storyline? I can't see it being canon to the games at all, considering that Origins seemed to be based off more of the original RBG (which I don't even think should be considered canon anymore) with some Kalos references hashed on at the very end (and once in the second episode).

Because Origins is essentially what Kanto reremakes would look like anyway. No major changes - just some additional Kalos references and Mega Evolutions at a few key moments.

These Kanto game theories seem like reaches. Sorry, but I think everyone's trying to connect dots that aren't there.

I disagree. You don't make important business/production decisions based on a comparatively trivial plot point in a game that will cease to be relevant in only a few years. People are treating the multiverse thing as something far, far more important than it actually is. Heck, we've known of a Pokémon multiverse since Gen V... nobody fussed about which universe X and Y would each take place in. "Oh, but will Y be in the Black timeline or the White timeline??" - didn't happen.
Well personally, I think an easy ready made game that's certain to sell loads is quite a good business decision. And we're not saying they are going to make the game because of a plot point, we are saying they added that plotpoint because they knew they were going to remake the kanto games!
And for Arceus's sake, why are people saying that Origins is a substitute for the Mega Evolution Kanto storyline? I can't see it being canon to the games at all, considering that Origins seemed to be based off more of the original RBG (which I don't even think should be considered canon anymore) with some Kalos references hashed on at the very end (and once in the second episode).

Because Origins is essentially what Kanto reremakes would look like anyway. No major changes - just some additional Kalos references and Mega Evolutions at a few key moments.

Well the existing of the anime didn't lead to the redundancy of Yellow, if anything, the anime, caused the creation of Yellow.
Didn't see many kids say "Why play Yellow when you can just watch tv" but I did see a lot of kids who'd seen the anime and then wanted to live that, and play Yellow!

I believe Origins was to get the new fans the 7-12 year olds interested in Kanto, not to somehow replace Kanto. And as someone already said it'd likely be different as you'd likely get access to mega evolution in the main story, and you'd have all 18 types and people wouldnt refer to only 151 Pokemon, likely all of them would be available via Bank.

Also in Gen 4 when there was heavy johto references, and evolutions to johto Pokemon, these were seen as hints towards Johto remakes. (Denied by some yes but still seen as hints) Yet the no remake camp this time seem to be trying to spin, heavy focus on Kanto features, and references to Kanto, as some sort of hint to not remake Kanto!?

Well personally, I think an easy ready made game that's certain to sell loads is quite a good business decision. And we're not saying they are going to make the game because of a plot point, we are saying they added that plotpoint because they knew they were going to remake the kanto games!

Every Pokémon game is going to sell loads, it doesn't matter if it's Kanto, Johto or Kalos, it'll sell just because of brand name. Also, I doubt that they added the plot point just because they knew they would remake Kanto, they probably put it in to avoid continuity issues/just make a story without being too tied to the past.

I believe Origins was to get the new fans the 7-12 year olds interested in Kanto, not to somehow replace Kanto. And as someone already said it'd likely be different as you'd likely get access to mega evolution in the main story, and you'd have all 18 types and people wouldnt refer to only 151 Pokemon, likely all of them would be available via Bank.

I highly doubt that, while I won't deny that kids watched it, it's very apparent that the appeal was towards the older fans who grew up with the older games. That's why things like abilities were completely ignored while other things like certain movepools, attacks, etc. were completely drawn from the original games rather then being updated relative to the newer ones. The only exception is Mega Charizard X, which, if I am to be blunt, was blatant advertising at its finest.

As for the latter point, I wouldn't consider getting access to more Pokémon outside of Kanto or Mega Evolutions to be a guarantee. There's always a chance it follows FRLG's model again and just focuses on the region as it was without the influence of either new evolutions or Mega Evolutions, basically keeping the nostalgia of the older region.

Also in Gen 4 when there was heavy johto references, and evolutions to johto Pokemon, these were seen as hints towards Johto remakes. (Denied by some yes but still seen as hints) Yet the no remake camp this time seem to be trying to spin, heavy focus on Kanto features, and references to Kanto, as some sort of hint to not remake Kanto!?

Because Sinnoh didn't have the starters or legendaries, a blatant copy of Ilex Forest, and heavy marketing centered so much on Johto over Sinnoh. Kanto was given a lot of love in Kalos, maybe even to the point that it overshadowed Kalos itself in some aspects (poor Fennekin, you just couldn't compete with Charmander), so for many the supposed "hints" feel more nostalgia pandering rather then actual hints to another remake of Kanto.

Last edited:
It makes much more sense to revisit one old region per generation. Should Generation VII be released for the 3DS, Kanto sequels would work well in 2017 so as not to go overboard with remakes. One set of remakes every 5 years is more than enough.

There's no reason why they can't really, especially if it adds variety and they can expand on the original games in some way. Zelda's had 3 this gen, with some people even wanting a fourth. Now I don't think Pokemon should go to that extreme, but there's no real harm in having multiple remakes in one generation when it makes sense.

There's no reason why they can't really, especially if it adds variety and they can expand on the original games in some way.
Variety is limited while sticking to the same generation.

Zelda's had 3 this gen, with some people even wanting a fourth.
Wind Waker HD is a remastered port rather than a remake, while the 3DS remakes (of two connected games) were released 4 years apart with the bulk of development being done by Grezzo rather than Nintendo. Lastly, there is no such thing as a Zelda generation in the Pokémon sense of the word.

Last edited:
Variety is limited while sticking to the same generation.

Not really, especially if they're going to continue the trend of having the next game not be fully compatible with the last. At this point the only real limits on variety come from the hardware, which is a much more natural marker of when one generation ends and another begins than arbitrarily creating a new generation after a set period of time.

Not really, especially if they're going to continue the trend of having the next game not be fully compatible with the last.
There is no "trend". ORAS have exclusive Mega Evolutions, and if that's your idea of adding enough variety, then we'll have to disagree. It would be less interesting the second time around, too.

arbitrarily creating a new generation after a set period of time.
I wasn't aware that wanting to do something new was considered an arbitrary decision these days.

There is no "trend". ORAS have exclusive Mega Evolutions, and if that's your idea of adding enough variety, then we'll have to disagree. It would be less interesting the second time around, too.

arbitrarily creating a new generation after a set period of time.
I wasn't aware that wanting to do something new was considered an arbitrary decision these days.

You're missing the point. If they made ORAS incompatible with XY so they could make more Megas, what's stopping them from adding completely new Pokemon? Or anything else that a second console generation could do to distinguish itself from the previous generation? There's no real need to cut off a Pokemon generation while it's still on the same hardware at this point.

As for older regions, there's a lot they're not doing with them that could make them more fresh. Dex expansions, more new areas, sequels. Bringing back old regions doesn't necessarily mean they're going to be rehashes.

You're missing the point. If they made ORAS incompatible with XY so they could make more Megas, what's stopping them from adding completely new Pokemon? Or anything else that a second console generation could do to distinguish itself from the previous generation? There's no real need to cut off a Pokemon generation while it's still on the same hardware at this point.
What's stopping them? Masuda saying that they didn't even want to make ORAS n3DS-enhanced due to their compatibility with XY. You're blowing the Mega Evolutions out of proportion; at their core, they're akin to the Formes we got in previous generations. You'd have a point if Game Freak showed interest in updating XY, but that isn't the case. If Masuda is interested in the New 3DS, as he said he was, that is reason enough to create a new generation.

You've also gone on record as saying that they should release Generation VII for the NX in 2017. You obviously don't expect/want them to add new Pokémon next year.

Dex expansions, more new areas,
None of this happened in ORAS, so excuse me if I don't expect Kanto remakes to fare better.

I obviously support Kanto sequels, but I don't see why they would happen in this generation with XY and ORAS covering all the non-Mythical Pokémon, and sequels would simply be more interesting if they utilized the New 3DS as part of a new generation with a new engine and updated mechanics.

What's stopping them? Masuda saying that they didn't even want to make ORAS n3DS-enhanced due to their compatibility with XY.

Which is also arbitrary because there's no reason why compatibility with XY should limit their ability to make a N3DS game.

You're blowing the Mega Evolutions out of proportion; at their core, they're akin to the Formes we got in previous generations.

Even if they are glorified form changes, the scale is what differentiates ORAS from previous games. Having 20 new forms instead of a handful of them makes a huge difference in terms of compatibility because now it's gotten to the point where XY and ORAS have completely different online environments.

You've also gone on record as saying that they should release Generation VII for the NX in 2017. You obviously don't expect/want them to add new Pokémon next year.

Well yeah, this generation they may not have enough time. But on the DS for example? If we'd have gotten another 4th gen game instead of 5th gen we might've gotten our first 3DS game earlier. Again, it depends on hardware lifespans, it might be better to have 3, 4, maybe even 5 games per gen depending on when the next hardware is releasing.

None of this happened in ORAS, so excuse me if I don't expect Kanto remakes to fare better.

Kanto has a much better chance of a dex expansion because the existing Kanto Dex is particularly poor. New areas is mainly contingent on it being a sequel, a regular remake probably won't add much.

I obviously support Kanto sequels, but I don't see why they would happen in this generation with XY and ORAS covering all the non-Mythical Pokémon, and sequels would simply be more interesting if they utilized the New 3DS as part of a new generation with a new engine and updated mechanics.

I couldn't care less about the graphics or the gameplay mechanics, the former tends not to bring about any interesting gameplay changes and the latter doesn't matter too much because the gameplay mechanics are always changing. Sequels are going to prove their worth more based on what they change about the game itself and its design, not based on what hardware it's on.

Last edited:
I've been looking over release period and the announcement datea of the mystery dungeon games in comparison to the main series and I Defnitely think that this is the big spin off of the gen. Some notes:
-First mystery dungeon with an announcement easily 6 months ahead of release. All the games have had a 3 month period maximum.
-The releases always come in an off year or in the weird medium between releases. Sky was released in april back to back with the HGSS reveal, and in the west right at the start of hgss' campaign. GtI was after b2w2, both in Japan and the west right before XY was announced.
-Sky is the only game so far that got caught in the shadow of the main series, but that was more of an expansion title, so its really just an anomaly. The pairs and GtI all had a good 10 shelf life to enjoy, in Japan at least.

My conclusion from all this is that we will be waiting more then we thought. 2015 was always off the table for me, but I never begun to consider the second half of 2016 either. I think at best we can assume a February reveal, with a release somewhere in June, much like B2W2, if its gen 6 of course.

I couldn't care less about the graphics or the gameplay mechanics,
That's pretty odd coming from someone who criticized Generation V for supposedly not pushing the envelope in those departments.

the gameplay mechanics are always changing.
In the middle of a generation? Barely.

Mitchman said:
First mystery dungeon with an announcement easily 6 months ahead of release.
Autumn 2015 could easily mean a September release for Japan. Mystery Dungeon Time and Darkness were also revealed in May and given a tentative Autumn release date, which later turned out to be in September.

The pairs and GtI all had a good 10 shelf life to enjoy, in Japan at least.
They don't need that much time. In Japan, games typically reach their saturation point within 3 months. If no main series game is released in the first half of 2016, it won't be because of Mystery Dungeon.

Huh, for some reason I thought it said November. If its September then I guess we could stilll be on track after all? October reveal with a March release could be akin to what we got with sky and hgss. Have to atop jumping at Conclusions I guess....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom