• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Masuda used the phrase "sixth generation" on his blog, so sadly, generations are canon and they will never add new Pokemon mid-generation. ...unless his definition of "generation" is different than ours.

Generations might be canon, but why does that mean they cant break tradition and add new Pokemon within a generation? Just because they havent doesnt mean they can't. Game Freak might try new things like that if they want to.

Sooooo, today is the 15th, the day the sites usually update with CoroCoro info. And instead we have nothing. Sure, posting a pic of a 10 second teaser is useless, but it would be hype inducing. So that leads me to a thought. What if the prescreening and CoroCoro is misleading? Call me crazy, but what if I was right, nad the movie DOES come with a game reveal? Zygarde preview comes up, we get a brief look at whatever they want to show us, and bam, Pokemon XYZ revealed, more info next month. Could work.

On another note, This might be Mega Zygarde Y. If you look at the shoulder shapes, it looks like a slingshot. And what can slingshots shoot? Arrows. Maybe a Thousand Arrows, judging by its size..... ;) So what can make waves?

Sooooo, today is the 15th, the day the sites usually update with CoroCoro info. And instead we have nothing. Sure, posting a pic of a 10 second teaser is useless, but it would be hype inducing. So that leads me to a thought. What if the prescreening and CoroCoro is misleading? Call me crazy, but what if I was right, nad the movie DOES come with a game reveal? Zygarde preview comes up, we get a brief look at whatever they want to show us, and bam, Pokemon XYZ revealed, more info next month. Could work.

On another note, This might be Mega Zygarde Y. If you look at the shoulder shapes, it looks like a slingshot. And what can slingshots shoot? Arrows. Maybe a Thousand Arrows, judging by its size..... ;) So what can make waves?

I imagine the reason there's no extra news out yet is bc the movie hasn't actually been released. I expect something to b at least hinted at in the coming weeks. Worlds could also have an announcement for all we kno too. I guess we'll know as the next month rolls around.

Masuda used the phrase "sixth generation" on his blog, so sadly, generations are canon and they will never add new Pokemon mid-generation. ...unless his definition of "generation" is different than ours.

The precedence for what we call a generation, i.e. a new batch of Pokemon, could easily be changed as the technology changes. Nintendo and Game Freak could at any time decide to release a new evolutionary family in an upcoming game, and it's really up to them if its considered part of Gen 6 or Gen 7. Just because we haven't ever had a split batch doesn't mean we won't, it just means the habit is that each generation is released in one batch.

As for the Zygarde, I'm expecting something akin to Mega evolution or Origin form, I think if he's gonna be on the box there's going to be something special about him.

Well yeah, when you think about it, forme changes in general have been unique and with a backstory. So far, we have Giratina-O being its forme when in its natural habitat, the Kyurem fusions being the two sides of an incomplete coin, and Mega Rayquaza is the result of being a protector of humanity. I think this will be the first instance of an antagonist Pokemon. Yes its gonna protect the ecoystem, but its gonna be a case of Justice without Mercy. I think the formes will be countermeasures to the two Mascots, but chaning also brings about some apocalypse level events. I think this is gonna be the first time since Rayquaza where the goal isn't the 3rd mascot for the evil team, but its defeater. Only thing is, its also trouble for the heroes...

I think it would be interesting to see new Pokemon in this game, but I don't think it'll happen unless they have new mascots to introduce, and Zygarde is clearly next in line.

Well yeah, when you think about it, forme changes in general have been unique and with a backstory. So far, we have Giratina-O being its forme when in its natural habitat, the Kyurem fusions being the two sides of an incomplete coin, and Mega Rayquaza is the result of being a protector of humanity. I think this will be the first instance of an antagonist Pokemon. Yes its gonna protect the ecoystem, but its gonna be a case of Justice without Mercy. I think the formes will be countermeasures to the two Mascots, but chaning also brings about some apocalypse level events. I think this is gonna be the first time since Rayquaza where the goal isn't the 3rd mascot for the evil team, but its defeater. Only thing is, its also trouble for the heroes...

I actually really like the idea of Zygarde basically being an anti-hero of sorts. It would basically b going to a place where the only way to help the earth is to purge it of all things that ruin it and start a new. So while Zygarde technically is doing what it feels is right, it's actually causing a major catastrophe. This would of course b averted by having the main characters teach Zygarde that not everyone and everything on earth is terrible and ends with u catching it.

I actually really like the idea of Zygarde basically being an anti-hero of sorts. It would basically b going to a place where the only way to help the earth is to purge it of all things that ruin it and start a new. So while Zygarde technically is doing what it feels is right, it's actually causing a major catastrophe. This would of course b averted by having the main characters teach Zygarde that not everyone and everything on earth is terrible and ends with u catching it.

Lol that was kind of the plot of HGSS in Pokemon Adventures.

Masuda used the phrase "sixth generation" on his blog, so sadly, generations are canon

So then why does Bulbapedia say on the six generation pages that the term is fan-made? I'm confused now. But I'll definitely take Masuda's word over the Pedia's.

And as for the original point of your post, they already did brand-new Mega's in ORAS which are very much like new Pokémon.

So then why does Bulbapedia say on the six generation pages that the term is fan-made? I'm confused now. But I'll definitely take Masuda's word over the Pedia's.

Well the term was started as a fan thing, but has since been adopted by Game Freak.

Re-reading the first few pages of the this thread, I remembered Masuda's comments of them wanting to surprise players and that the next release would be different to their previous conventions of third versions like Z/BW2. I wonder how the new Pokemon shown in Coro Coro fits into that idealogy.

Now that I've read these, I want it to happen. They've pulled this plot in other Pokemon media like the movies, so why not do it in the very media that started Pokémon in the first place, aka the main series games? Make it happen, Game Freak.

For the Generation debate... I don't care if it's never been done before, I'd like to see them try something new and do it. I've said it a dozen times and I'll say it again: they've already made Gens 4 and 5 for the Nintendo DS, so what the hell is stopping them from putting 2 regions that could be related to each other in Generation 6? I'll tell you what it is, and it's nothing the fans or their websites have control over. The only thing that's preventing Game Freak from pulling something off like that would be their own choice to avoid doing new things.

And as for the original point of your post, they already did brand-new Mega's in ORAS which are very much like new Pokémon.

I'd be okay with that anyway, it helps breathe new life into older Pokemon that you might not have considered using before.

Well, I'm all for it. But the point I was trying to make, it's a brand-new model, brand-new stat spread, possibly a new typing. Despite it being much more akin to a form change gameplay wise, coding wise it's very much a new Pokémon. So if they can add 20 new Mega's in ORAS, I can't see why they wouldn't be able to add mid-generation Pokémon.

In fact, when I was younger, I thought that was exactly what GameFreak did with Platinum and Weavile to Froslass since I never saw any of them in Diamond and Pearl.

Well the term was started as a fan thing, but has since been adopted by Game Freak.

Eeveelutions was first fan terminology, then official. But the Pedia still lists it as official. If Masuda uses the terminology on his blog, then it should be cited as a reference and the term generation should be noted as being official by the Pedia.

Eeveelutions was first fan terminology, then official. But the Pedia still lists it as official. If Masuda uses the terminology on his blog, then it should be cited as a reference and the term generation should be noted as being official by the Pedia.

Well idk man....that's up to them lol

I really like that idea because it would make Zygarde like a foil to Lysandre: both want to destroy humanity, but one does it to protect the Earth, while the other does it for more personal reasons. I could also see Xerneas/Yveltal teaming up with the player to battle Zygarde.

I really like that idea because it would make Zygarde like a foil to Lysandre: both want to destroy humanity, but one does it to protect the Earth, while the other does it for more personal reasons. I could also see Xerneas/Yveltal teaming up with the player to battle Zygarde.

Technically, they both want to protect the Earth. Lysandre wants to protect beauty and resources through destroying humans and Pokémon, and Zygarde wants to protect the masses from needless death or overpopulation (which is probably why the Pokéworld is so sparsely populated compared to our real one...). Both methods of protecting the planet just... collide with each other, is all.

IIRC, when you're inside the Geosenge HQ doesn't Lysandre make a comment about too many people would outdo resources, which would lead to conflict 'n whatnot(and then he has the gall to compare that situation to you and Calem/Serena battling each other for a Mega-Stone earlier)? In a sense, Lysandre was trying to do what Zygarde's main purpose is, and done screwed up. Lysandre, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

The precedence for what we call a generation, i.e. a new batch of Pokemon, could easily be changed as the technology changes. Nintendo and Game Freak could at any time decide to release a new evolutionary family in an upcoming game, and it's really up to them if its considered part of Gen 6 or Gen 7. Just because we haven't ever had a split batch doesn't mean we won't, it just means the habit is that each generation is released in one batch.

This is probably late, but isn't a "generation", not just a "new batch of Pokemon"? I don't recall people ever referring it as just that and it wouldn't make much sense, if it was the case, then Platinum would be Generation 5, B2W2 would be Generation 7, and ORAS would be Generation 9.

I really like that idea, especially because it fits the silhouette being ominous. That may just be me though.

I'd like to dispel a particular idea that has suddenly boomed since the silhouette was revealed. A number of people are starting to support the idea that theoretical Kalos games next year would have a new region and that the Strange Souvenir could be a depiction of a Zygarde form.

Here's why this is highly unlikely. The Strange Souvenir Pokemon is described to be a protector of an unknown faraway region. Zygarde is described to be a protector of Kalos. If Zygarde is going to get full games, I don't see why they wouldn't take place in Kalos.

The problem with there being two regions in Kalos games is not only that the hinted region is far from Kalos (which wouldn't be necessary if it was intended to be a postgame region in Kalos games), but also that the region is said to have a Champion, and subsequently, an entire Pokemon League. Answer me this: What are the chances of Kalos games having two full regions each with eight gyms, an Elite Four group, and a Champion? That kind of content is better reserved for a new generation. So the next question is, what was Game Freak's reason for including the Strange Souvenir in XY if the new region was going to be released a whole four-year generation later?

This is probably late, but isn't a "generation", not just a "new batch of Pokemon"? I don't recall people ever referring it as just that and it wouldn't make much sense, if it was the case, then Platinum would be Generation 5, B2W2 would be Generation 7, and ORAS would be Generation 9.

Anything introduced in those games was variants of old Pokemon, not new Pokemon. Also, regarding people's opinions on Mega Evolutions in comparison to new Pokemon, you can still see a lot of the original Pokemon in a Mega Evolution's design. This is basically why they don't have different names. Standard evolutions have a lot more drastic design changes. That's not to say you don't know the difference or anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom