• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been thinking about something and I'm pretty sure I've seen others make this point too. I personally like the idea of a gen 6.5, but there's one thing that's always kind of bothered me about it. If we do have a new batch of Pokemon this late into the gen then it kind of seems weird as it wouldn't b too long b4 we end up seeing gen 7 which would inevitably bring even more "new" Pokemon. Just seems like a weird choice to make as far as the releasing of Pokemon is concerned. I still think it's an interesting idea for them to try tho so if this is a test run to c how releasing Pokemon in 2 batches works more power to them. I'm still not convinced that the new blob mon is related to Zygarde in a direct way. If they are related then it'll b in a way like Diancie and carbink r related where Zygarde controls them or makes them, but they themselves r completely their own Pokemon. I just can't c it being a form or a tool that's not an actual Pokemon lol

It could be possible that Gen. 6.5's new batch of Pokémon are meant to tie us over until 2017 when Gen. 7 comes out for the NX? I mean, OR/AS was only released 9 months ago and we're (mostly) already begging for a new game. In fact, releasing new batches of Pokémon with every game in a generation is actually good marketing, 'cause it gives you a reason to buy each game. Especially if they keep that mid-generation non-compatibility that XY/ORAS had.

While on that subject, make the Big Bad a female this time. I think we're seriously overdue for one.

To be fair, Ariana was definitely running ish in Johto. Which is pretty awesome for a single mom, too. (If you don't believe she's Silver's mother when she has the exact same shade of red hair, is infinitely loyal to Giovanni and has mom hips, then IDK what to tell you. :p )

SiD9mln.jpg

The caption actually says New Pokémon?! opposed to the usual they have... I wouldn't get TOO excited, but...

Wait, can I get a full translation of the poster? :D

What if the "third Pokemon" is actually another Eeveelution? Eevee's the only Kanto starter that's missing. And considering how in the last set, Goomy was purple and Lucario was a darker blue, the colors seem to represent the main color of the Pokemon.

To be fair, while Eevee is definitely a Kanto starter, it's never marketed as such because it can never be YOUR starter. That being said, Eeveelutions in general are still fairly marketable. I wonder if the hypothetical new batch of Pokémon would all be related to the Kanto Pokémon by evolution somehow?

It could be possible that Gen. 6.5's new batch of Pokémon are meant to tie us over until 2017 when Gen. 7 comes out for the NX? I mean, OR/AS was only released 9 months ago and we're (mostly) already begging for a new game. In fact, releasing new batches of Pokémon with every game in a generation is actually good marketing, 'cause it gives you a reason to buy each game. Especially if they keep that mid-generation non-compatibility that XY/ORAS had.

Honestly, I completely buy this. It just makes sense. At this point, it makes more sense than most other explanations, in my opinion. I mean, I recall that there have been many of us predicting this since XY. This generation introduced less new Pokemon than ever. With such a small batch, and suggestions of another area of the Kalos region, it was completely plausible. And as said previously, GF has shown they don't care about full backwards compatibility within a generation anymore at all. With the addition of new moves, abilities, and Mega Evolutions in ORAS that are completely incompatible with XY, they've shown they are willing to cut ties in order to move forward with new content. A new, small batch of Pokemon (anywhere between maybe 40-70) mid-generation, generation 6.5, in Kalos sequels, or something similar, is completely plausible to me, especially given the current situation and circumstances. And honestly, I love this idea, and I think it would be a fantastic move on GF's part, that seems likely right now, at least in my opinion. In the past, if I remember correctly, the third versions (two in Gen V's case) have always been less successful from a profit and marketing standpoint. A new small batch of Pokemon would increase hype dramatically compared to the third versions of the past, increase what they could do with marketing until release, and make these games more set part, and more strongly encourage players to buy them. I think it's gonna happen. Z version, or X2 and Y2, or ZX and ZY, or whatever we get, is gonna be some kind of expanded Kalos followup with a new story, some new Pokemon, and a new area of the region. That's what I'm feeling.

I called it since October 12, 2013. At this point I would be more surprised if this didn't happen. And if it doesn't happen, I'm fine with it as long as the story is dramatically enhanced and deepened.

Honestly, I completely buy this. It just makes sense. At this point, it makes more sense than most other explanations, in my opinion. I mean, I recall that there have been many of us predicting this since XY. This generation introduced less new Pokemon than ever. With such a small batch, and suggestions of another area of the Kalos region, it was completely plausible. And as said previously, GF has shown they don't care about full backwards compatibility within a generation anymore at all. With the addition of new moves, abilities, and Mega Evolutions in ORAS that are completely incompatible with XY, they've shown they are willing to cut ties in order to move forward with new content. A new, small batch of Pokemon (anywhere between maybe 40-70) mid-generation, generation 6.5, in Kalos sequels, or something similar, is completely plausible to me, especially given the current situation and circumstances. And honestly, I love this idea, and I think it would be a fantastic move on GF's part, that seems likely right now, at least in my opinion. In the past, if I remember correctly, the third versions (two in Gen V's case) have always been less successful from a profit and marketing standpoint. A new small batch of Pokemon would increase hype dramatically compared to the third versions of the past, increase what they could do with marketing until release, and make these games more set part, and more strongly encourage players to buy them. I think it's gonna happen. Z version, or X2 and Y2, or ZX and ZY, or whatever we get, is gonna be some kind of expanded Kalos followup with a new story, some new Pokemon, and a new area of the region. That's what I'm feeling.

Call me crazy, but this sounds awesome. It would definitely be something new for them to try out, and I don't see what's exactly stopping them from doing so.

Who all thinks or would like the idea of two new versions of the Kalos region. One with mega Zygarde as the mascot and the other version with a new form of Zygarde? I think it would be new, interesting, and never done before.

Who all thinks or would like the idea of two new versions of the Kalos region. One with mega Zygarde as the mascot and the other version with a new form of Zygarde? I think it would be new, interesting, and never done before.
Depends on what you mean two new versions? Are you talking about a hypothetical ZA & ZB, which is what B2W2 almost was(GrayA and GrayB obv) or B2W2 two new versions? Either one has been considered, and I myself suggest basically XY with a massive Z epilogue instead of a straight out Z version, but I am not quite getting you. Only differenfe would be one has a mega and the other has a forme? Cause that wouldn't really work out either. Formes have acontextual background, with the item used to change having its own background , while the forme itself is usually some sort of hidden power separate from a Mega, while megas are just powered up pokemon. What we have in the trailer is clearly a forme change, and I doubt Zygarde is gonna get a mega to go with it.

Ugh. Somehow my post got deleted. I was saying the whole reason for Zygarde's existence is to protect the equilibrium of nature. What if in X2 Zygarde gets a form to counter eternal life(Xerneas), and in Y2 Zygarde gets a mega to counter destruction(Yveltal)?

Didn't Black 2 and White 2 give us basically two versions of Unova, each with a different Kyurem forme as the mascot? I mean, that being said, I like where you're going with it- one game with Mega Zygarde, one with Primal Zygarde or something like that.

After some thinking I'm actually warming up to the Gen 6.5 idea (where we get new Pokemon mid-generation). Generation VI is by no means over (alongside Z/XZYZ, we still need Kanto-in-the-Megaverse) but for some reason, Game Freak has decided to make all non-event Pokemon obtainable without the need of transfer within XY and ORAS. With the exceptions of Generations II and V, that has been the signal of the end of a generation in the past. And this is a personal opinion but I really want Generation VI to be longer after the measly content we got in Gen V. So I say that Game Freak releases a new batch of Pokemon mid-generation with the release of Kalos 2.0 and continue Gen 6.5 with a Kanto re-remake before moving on to Generation 7.

So basically Generation VI consists of XY and ORAS for its first half and Z/XZYZ and Kanto for its second half.

If Poke-Blob turns out to be a Gen 6 instead of a Gen 7 'mon, I just had this idea... what if the Poke-Blob turns out to be something like a new species of Pokemon created by the screwed up ecosystem that Zygarde has to fix? That, or a new species of Pokemon created by the new-and-improved ecosystem that Zygarde brings about? I'm not talking about it having a direct relation with Zygarde itself, but more like a byproduct of either Zygarde's powers or whatever natural or artificial force that screwed up the ecosystem in the first place.

Actually... let's say we do get a "Gen 6.5" scenario with the next game. What if whatever causes Kalos' ecosystem to go haywire brings about a mass migration of 70-something new 'mons into the Kalos region?

(we still need Kanto-in-the-Megaverse)
1) Origins
2) by extension, we then also need Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova-in-the-Megaverse
3) i doubt the Megaverse line is going anywhere any time soon and i'd be willing to bet that every future game will take place in the Megaverse, so a remake would eventually happen taking us to a Megaverse Kanto.

If Poke-Blob turns out to be a Gen 6 instead of a Gen 7 'mon, I just had this idea... what if the Poke-Blob turns out to be something like a new species of Pokemon created by the screwed up ecosystem that Zygarde has to fix? That, or a new species of Pokemon created by the new-and-improved ecosystem that Zygarde brings about? I'm not talking about it having a direct relation with Zygarde itself, but more like a byproduct of either Zygarde's powers or whatever natural or artificial force that screwed up the ecosystem in the first place.

Actually... let's say we do get a "Gen 6.5" scenario with the next game. What if whatever causes Kalos' ecosystem to go haywire brings about a mass migration of 70-something new 'mons into the Kalos region?

I like that idea. Kalos's ecosystem going to hell would be a plausible reason for brand-new Pokémon. I'd like to see that happen. :)

Didn't Black 2 and White 2 give us basically two versions of Unova, each with a different Kyurem forme as the mascot?

Not exactly; it was still broadly the same Unova in both games. There were just a few areas that were different, as there were in BW.

we still need Kanto-in-the-Megaverse

But why? It'd just be FRLG but in 3D, and with Giovanni using a Mega Nidoqueen or something and Blue using a Mega of his starter. It isn't crucial to see; the thing about the Mega Universe is that it is all pretty much the same, but with added Megas.

The way that you worded that gave me an interesting thought. Now maybe this would be a little too "story arc"-ey, and I suspect that it could be rather unpopular with most fans, but if these hypothetical Gen VI.V (my Roman numeral convention + decimals = death) Pokémon are mass-migrated from the Strange Souvenir/Gen VII region? Then it would be like a preview, and we would get to see the rest of that region's Pokémon when the formal Gen VII games came along.

Looking back at XY, the game's theme is quoted as being alongside evolution, bonds, between people, people and pokemon, etc. Masuda also comments that the names of the games represent the cartesian axis, with people from different viewpoints meeting at some point.

Of course you could consider this literally as point (1,0) having the meeting between 1 on the x axis and 0 on the y axis, but I think that he's truly hinting at the obvious idea of the Z axis. Any point, say (2,3) will have a value for Z that will be the same, so (2,3,1). In the same way if we consider 2 different points no matter how wildly apart such as (999,999) and (-999,-999), we can see that they can still be linked together through one common area, the Z axis:

xyz_axes.gif

Considering how Zygarde is the order pokemon and is looking after the ecosystem, perhaps he'll be helping to show how pokemon and humans, or 2 different pokemon (Xerneas and Yveltal for example) or 2 different humans can co-exist through the mutual areas between their viewpoints, even if they seem polar opposite. If we see Lysandre again perhaps Zygarde could help show that Lysandre and the other humans are on the same side, both wanting a beautiful and fair world (the linking Z axis) despite having different views of how to achieve this. In doing this Lysandre could have a resolution, or maybe even there could be a greater lesson referencing the war from 3000 years ago. ORAS tells us that AZ saw how Mega Rayquayquay stopped the conflict between the Primals, with Zinnia telling us it was due to the bonds humanity had.

In fact, if we go even deeper, this whole idea works really well with the history of the Unova region. N wishes to create in BW1 a separate world for people and pokemon, but later understands that they can co-exist WITH each other as friends. The Unova region's war can also be resolved using this idea as well.

I guess the point I'm making is that it would be a nice way to end the 6th generation with the lesson that through the bonds you have, any conflict can be resolved by looking at the common ground between 2 things.

...or maybe we'll just have Zygarde sporting a forme that takes down Xerneas/Yveltal who are under the sunday morning villains control and that's it. Still, I do appreciate the symbolism on Gamefreak's part.

@godiego; Origins isn't a game, and we really need a full Kanto game on 3DS (i.e. not HGSS Kanto).

We don't need anything. Had XY not already beat Kanto nods and gags to death I would be okay with another Kanto game.

Nods and gags =/= Kanto game.

He didn't say that though, his point was that's he's not interested in seeing another Kanto game since XY really loved pandering to it. Kalos was heavy with the Kanto love, almost to the point that Kalos was overshadowed by it, the region not really hurting for another remake and can wait a while.

Origins isn't a game, and we really need a full Kanto game on 3DS (i.e. not HGSS Kanto).
except Origins clearly tells what Megaverse Kanto looks like. we don't need another RBGFRLG-Kanto game. i suppose i could buy into another Kanto game, but it would have to be substantially different from both RBGFRLG and GSCHGSS to merit it.

(not to mention i'm very apprehensive about a 3D Kanto since a lot of Kanto is just....flat.)

After some thinking I'm actually warming up to the Gen 6.5 idea (where we get new Pokemon mid-generation). Generation VI is by no means over (alongside Z/XZYZ, we still need Kanto-in-the-Megaverse) but for some reason, Game Freak has decided to make all non-event Pokemon obtainable without the need of transfer within XY and ORAS. With the exceptions of Generations II and V, that has been the signal of the end of a generation in the past. And this is a personal opinion but I really want Generation VI to be longer after the measly content we got in Gen V. So I say that Game Freak releases a new batch of Pokemon mid-generation with the release of Kalos 2.0 and continue Gen 6.5 with a Kanto re-remake before moving on to Generation 7.

So basically Generation VI consists of XY and ORAS for its first half and Z/XZYZ and Kanto for its second half.
Gen 5 was about on equal footing with XY, hell even ORAS if you take out Soaring. B2W2 absolutely blew tge first games out of the water, and are easily the best updates yet. I have a feeling that we are in for something similar, though why GF destroys cobsumer confidence with this rollercoaster I have no idea.

But, thats not the topic! I mostly agree with the idea that the second half of gen 6 could be Kalos and Kanto. Its obvious the 20th is gonna have a gen 1 bias, and I honestly dobnt think they are gonna just let thing on the game side be Kalos only. I wonder if suggestions that Kalos and Kanto can somehow feature in the same game? Probably not. Really, thats the conundrum for me. Kalos is obviously the focus for next year, but Kanto on a whole is going to be celebrated. I really wonder, maybe we are lookngi at a 5 year gen.I know, my idea isn't the most favored, but really think about it. As time marches on, Hardware becomes more powerful, and their release xycles will become ficklesome. For gamefreak, simply releasing two generations on one hardware is likely streinous on their relationships with Nintendo. The idea I running with, and always have been running with, is basically that we are gonna be dealing from here on out with mega-generations(yes pun is intended) Either 5-6, this involves one generation for each hardware cycle, that involves a base game, that begins a story arc, a remake that offers backstory or continues it if they somehow overlap, an expanded .5 region offering an updated region, new Pokemon and the syory continuation, and if needed a sequel to an older region that offers more lore for that region and closure of the story arc. This would mean 1 new region and 100 or so Pokemon every half decade, multiple regions witgin a generation, and a different take to keep things fresh.

Now under this model, to keep things simple, gen 6 for example would be from 2013-2018. So far we have XY and ORAS. Both offer a generations worth of experiences, and you can complete the dex, making it seem like the end. But then, 2016 rolls around, and boom, 2.5 years later, Gen 6 part Deux starts. Its the Kalos we haven't seen yet, along with a Kanto Sequel contemporary to the current games. 2 years and a break ollowed by another 2 years and then gen 7 in 2018. Its not too much in 5 years as its still technically 3 regions, and it basically still offers what a normal generation would, exceot with a special Kanto game for the Anniversary.
Its insane, I know, but 5 year gens with 2, 2 year blocks to go with an entire hardware cycle is genious I tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom