• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe kalos would take the remaining two game spots for the gen. Reason: Zygarde has 600 bst which is lower than Xerneas and Yveltal, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves were discovered, Zygarde to feature in new movie, a picture of a huge silhouette of a pokemon which people are speculating as new form/mega of Zygarde and gen 6 already had remakes for the gen. Not to mention XY games covered most of the stuff from Ka nto such as starters, legends, Lapras and Snorelax. Volcanion is the last kalos mythical pokemon to be release and is likelt to be released for new kalos game.

I'm hoping its going to be Z first and then a Kanto remake after.

If we get a Gen 6.5 and new Pokemon discovered in Kalos, even if its only 40 they can feature heavily in Z, and then Kanto games can come out and just wrap the whole gen nicely.

Basically the first half would be XY and ORAS, and the second half would be Z and ThunderYellow

I agree, totally. That's primarily why I suggested that Game Freak expand on the little tidbits that are already present rather than introduce a plethora of lore that wasn't already in earlier games. Surely, they could do the latter, but it would require a major retelling of the Kanto story that weaves those elements into it while keeping the essence of the plot the same. That's probably impossible. As it is right now, none of the characters or entities in Kanto have any motivation stemming from legend or lore, nor do they require it. Team Rocket's goals are solely for their own purposes and they are going about it their own way. Red's story through Kanto has no mention of any legends, either. The only thing that could be expanded upon during Red's journey is more on Mewtwo's origin and explaining why the legendary bird trio is just that: legendary.

Part of me feels that Game Freak is content with leaving Mewtwo's story as vague as it is. It's amongst the darkest subplots in the series and involves a lot of human corruption and topics that were okay to be touched on at the time of Red/Blue's release but perhaps taboo by today's standards. I hope this isn't the case, as I'd love to see this more explained, but realize this may be the reality. I just want something that expands Kanto past the present-day and these are the only little hooks we have!
well what i was trying to get at is that Kanto will forever seem incomplete because it lacks a mythology; it lacks a substantial relationship with legendary Pokemon. thematically, it makes sense, but it has an unfortunate side-effect of making the region empty.

i don't think Mewtwo's story/origin is all that vague. Scientists (very strongly hinted as working for Rocket) Fuji, and potentially Blaine as well, create Mewtwo as a result of "horrific" gene splicing experiments with Mew's DNA. the purpose is to create the most powerful Pokemon ever. they finally create Mewtwo and cannot control it. Mewtwo escapes, destroying the lab in the process, and hides away in Cerulean Cave. likely in a revamped Kanto, Rocket's involvement would be more implicit and Mewtwo would play the newly ever present role of "token legendary."

With the Kanto as we know it, the the lack of a mythological background works. An alternate Kanto could see a focus on one, but then a new story would have to be derived for it and I think that'd be jarring and weird.

I like what @BlackButterfree said about this Mewtwo being an accident. And I agree with him that there still is a desire to know more. For instance, Mewtwo's ties to Team Rocket are really, really loose in the games, almost to the point where they don't exist at all. Fuji's ties to Mewtwo are only hinted at in Emerald on Faraway Island. Blaine's ties to Mewtwo are assumed because he's an older scientist who also happens to live on Cinnabar Island and was assumed to have been there during the time of Mewtwo's creation. If we delve into Pokemon Origins's retelling, then the link between Fuji and Mewtwo (as Origins suggests that Dr. Fuji and Mr. Fuji are the same person) but Origins also suggests that Mewtwo was created or cloned from Mew. The games suggest that Mewtwo was originally a child of Mew.

We have so many different canons that are so close but still distinct. What really points to Rocket being involved in Fuji's experiments, for me, is that his actions are so out of character for a man like him that you just have to admit that there had to be a driving force behind his actions on Mewtwo. But that's still too far-fetched a link.

If Mewtwo were to have its own subplot extended, I imagine a scenario where, after defeating the Pokemon League and capturing the first 149 Pokemon in the Kanto Pokedex (with the exception of Mewtwo), having Prof. Oak check it for completion would trigger an event. You would be summoned to Pokemon Mansion where you would speak with Fuji, Blaine, Giovanni, and anyone else who was involved with Mewtwo's creation. They would tell you the story behind it and would admit that they were wrong in their pursuit to create an artificially-modified Pokemon. They fear that Mewtwo remaining dormant in Cerulean Cave won't last long and that if it isn't tamed by a kind-hearted Trainer, it could bring about destruction on Kanto. As a final atonement for what they've done, they ask that you defeat/capture Mewtwo, stating that the best thing for Mewtwo is life with a strong, kind partner. They further tell you that they have evacuated Cinnabar Island and have told the citizens of an impending volcanic eruption. What they reveal to you is that Blaine's Magmar will be the cause of the eruption, and that to truly move on from what they did, they will destroy Pokemon Mansion (which will then explain what happened to Cinnabar in GSCHGSS) and this is how they'll go about doing it. From here, the rest unfolds how we know it does. The game would be roughly the same, but more Rocket Grunts, Scientists, and Executives would reference Mewtwo's experimentations, people who know Fuji would hint to a darker past, and more people on Cinnabar would hint to what really happened in Pokemon Mansion.

Anyway, I'd love to see a similar event for Mew in Kanto-based games, but that may require some more work. But I still think the Mewtwo story is vague enough to have some more explanation and loose-ends tied together.

Last edited:
Strange how the idea of a simple B2W2 sequel and Z version (ZXZY) with Gen 7 coming after isn't brought up enough. I don't really think they'll be having Kanto games for the next games, and it would make more sense to have them in gen 7 instead of elongating gen 6. We will see Kanto at some point, but personally I take the mega evolutions for the starters, mewtwo and many kanto pokemon alongside most kanto pokemon being obtainable as evidence for us not having Kanto in the immediate future. Had we gotten Kalos sequels instead of ORAS then it's somewhat possible they'd have Kanto games for 2016, the 20th anniversary, but as it stands I'm not expecting that any time soon.

I'm with the idea that the blob is another Phione/Manaphy for Zygarde, and you need a special item for breeding.

Anyways, there's bound to be a third game - whatever it is about. There's still a lot of stuff unknown and uncovered. Zygarde aside, there's the Eternal Floette data which has an exclusive move as well. Here's my guess that in the next games, AZ somehow dies and we get to keep the Floette - which is why we'd have the data for it.

@DarkHero21; I like your idea, but I think it would be after you catch the Cerulean Cave mewtwo, you get all this info on a Mew Quest, similar to how the delta episode made previously event exclusive Deoxys catchable in game, I think Mew could get the same treatment. We've not had a Mew Event since 2010, that'l be 6 years by the time the new game comes out.

@Kyriaki; I used to really support the idea of the new mon being Zygarde related but I don't think it is, Phione looked very similar to Manaphy, just had 1 of whatever Manaphy had 2 of, the green blob looks nothing like Zygarde apart from being green and serpentine, also the red thing in the middle suggests otherwise.

I think the new mon is a ghost type. In the upcoming merchandise the mystery bubble had a dark purple colour, the colour of the ghost type and also it looks quite astral, and its bottom is typical how ghosts are drawn.

Not to mention its face looks eerily similar to the Fog badge, which was a Ghost's face

@Kyriaki; I used to really support the idea of the new mon being Zygarde related but I don't think it is, Phione looked very similar to Manaphy, just had 1 of whatever Manaphy had 2 of, the green blob looks nothing like Zygarde apart from being green and serpentine, also the red thing in the middle suggests otherwise.

There are plenty of Pokemon that change drastically upon evolution/breeding. Trapinch looks nothing like Flygon, for example.

Strange how the idea of a simple B2W2 sequel and Z version (ZXZY) with Gen 7 coming after isn't brought up enough. I don't really think they'll be having Kanto games for the next games, and it would make more sense to have them in gen 7 instead of elongating gen 6. We will see Kanto at some point, but personally I take the mega evolutions for the starters, mewtwo and many kanto pokemon alongside most kanto pokemon being obtainable as evidence for us not having Kanto in the immediate future. Had we gotten Kalos sequels instead of ORAS then it's somewhat possible they'd have Kanto games for 2016, the 20th anniversary, but as it stands I'm not expecting that any time soon.

This is largely why I believe that any future Kanto games would have to be sequels, even though my faith in their ability to renovate an old region on that scale has been thoroughly shaken by ORAS. Because not only have we seen Plain Old Kanto itself "two and two-thirds" times before, but XY already hit on most of the major Kanto beats. It would just be too redundant to give us "CracklingFireRed" and "RustlingLeafGreen."

@DarkHero21; I like your idea, but I think it would be after you catch the Cerulean Cave mewtwo, you get all this info on a Mew Quest, similar to how the delta episode made previously event exclusive Deoxys catchable in game, I think Mew could get the same treatment. We've not had a Mew Event since 2010, that'l be 6 years by the time the new game comes out.
Yeah I could definitely see that too! Mew needs a story, badly. It just kind of "exists" but there's no reasoning behind it. No lore, not even the faintest of stories. But I feel like I've derailed the Generation VI speculation thread enough with Generation I remake ideas ;)

I believe kalos would take the remaining two game spots for the gen. Reason: Zygarde has 600 bst which is lower than Xerneas and Yveltal, Thousand Arrows and Thousand Waves were discovered, Zygarde to feature in new movie, a picture of a huge silhouette of a pokemon which people are speculating as new form/mega of Zygarde and gen 6 already had remakes for the gen. Not to mention XY games covered most of the stuff from Ka nto such as starters, legends, Lapras and Snorelax. Volcanion is the last kalos mythical pokemon to be release and is likelt to be released for new kalos game.

Absolutely none of that warrants two games. Both moves are available in all four games so far, and their respective formes could be in one game as well.

And if the theoretical Yellow Remake were to happen, it would happen for the 20th anniversary (February) which would still let Z version be released later in the year, in line with the next movie. Which I doubt will feature Volcanion, that will most likely be 2017's movie, with Eternal Flower Floette saved for the anime or a short.

Yeah I could definitely see that too! Mew needs a story, badly. It just kind of "exists" but there's no reasoning behind it. No lore, not even the faintest of stories. But I feel like I've derailed the Generation VI speculation thread enough with Generation I remake ideas ;)

Mew does have some lore. It has the DNA of all existing Pokémon and is thought to be the ancestor of all Pokémon (barring Arceus, the Creation Trio and the Lake Trio). It also used to be plentiful in the ancient past, but its numbers started dwindling as more Pokémon species evolved (this could mean they were either preyed on, couldn't survive the competition, or they actually became these new species through real world evolution or their transformation ability), and is now so rare it is believed to be a mirage.

It's also linked to Guyana, Holon, Kanto, Hoenn and Sevii.

Mew does have some lore. It has the DNA of all existing Pokémon and is thought to be the ancestor of all Pokémon (barring Arceus, the Creation Trio and the Lake Trio). It also used to be plentiful in the ancient past, but its numbers started dwindling as more Pokémon species evolved (this could mean they were either preyed on, couldn't survive the competition, or they actually became these new species through real world evolution or their transformation ability), and is now so rare it is believed to be a mirage.

It's also linked to Guyana, Holon, Kanto, Hoenn and Sevii.
But it just feels like there's so much more to Mew. We could get an entire explanation of how the Pokemon world came into being tying in the stories of Arceus, the Creation Trio, the Lake Trio, Unown, and Mew, not to mention Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza.

Also, Mew has some modern history that could be expanded upon, too. Like, where exactly is Faraway Island? Is it analogous to Guyana? It's far from Hoenn, but what about Kanto? Or Unova? Is there a larger region it attaches to? It's pretty mysterious, as is the sign posted there.

I like what BlackButterfree said about this Mewtwo being an accident. And I agree with him that there still is a desire to know more. For instance, Mewtwo's ties to Team Rocket are really, really loose in the games, almost to the point where they don't exist at all. Fuji's ties to Mewtwo are only hinted at in Emerald on Faraway Island. Blaine's ties to Mewtwo are assumed because he's an older scientist who also happens to live on Cinnabar Island and was assumed to have been there during the time of Mewtwo's creation. If we delve into Pokemon Origins's retelling, then the link between Fuji and Mewtwo (as Origins suggests that Dr. Fuji and Mr. Fuji are the same person) but Origins also suggests that Mewtwo was created or cloned from Mew. The games suggest that Mewtwo was originally a child of Mew.

We have so many different canons that are so close but still distinct. What really points to Rocket being involved in Fuji's experiments, for me, is that his actions are so out of character for a man like him that you just have to admit that there had to be a driving force behind his actions on Mewtwo. But that's still too far-fetched a link.
i think the child of Mew is a bit of a too literal reading of the journals that say that "Mew has given birth," especially since we know that Pokemon are oviparous (which is effectively a semantics argument: reptiles don't give birth, they lay eggs, etc). the Pokedex entries in RGB, RSE and a few others make it quite clear that Mewtwo is a human product, "it was created by a scientist [...]." i suppose the question that really needs answering is how they did the genetic recombination, then begging the question of what role Ditto must've played in Mewtwo's creation.

i was actually going to write a lot more about how i thought (think?) that Mewtwo still isn't all that vague, but then i fell asleep and forgot it all. stay tuned next time, kids!

which touches upon LT. Surge's War (we've NEVER gotten background on that or him being American. I expect him to be retconned to being Unovian), Fuji's involvement with the Mewtwo Project, and who the original Champion was before Blue and why they were gone when we get there. Not to mention we need a much more expanded region. The Megaverse is a different reality, they could make something really good happen to Kanto's economy that makes it much more modern, urban and more spread out/populated.
1) if they don't retcon him to Unovan, then i doubt the war will ever be expanded upon. still, it can forever remain an allusion to WWI/II.

2) i would imagine that Dr./Mr. Fuji was the lead scientist of the project, working for Rocket.

3) i don't think we'll ever find that out. i'm pretty sure in the first games you and Blue are the first champions of the Pokemon League. but i suppose that's something we'll never know, given how the structure of the Pokemon League is never really broken down. we never really know how Champions (and anyone else within the league structure) obtain their titles. we know there's a hereditary aspect, as Flannery and Janine inherited the gyms from parents, however there are others like Koga being promoted to the Elite Four, Juan receiving the Sootopolis Gym, Norman in Petalburg, which obfuscate League structure. we know that Alder was asked to be champion (political implications?) despite not wanting to, and we know that Iris becomes champion by defeating him, a title which N rejects despite defeating Alder. so to make a long story short (too late), i think it's just something that'll forever be left unanswered.

4) Kanto is actually very technological and is certainly the most technologically advanced region of PokéJapan (and perhaps the whole world, if not, behind Unova). it's modernity is the reason that there's no mythology: it's a post-religious (mythology in the case of Pokemon i suppose) region. the issue is that it hasn't had any original media since generation II (the rest being fairly faithful remakes), so any technological superiority ends up not appearing. i'd definitely be behind a Kanto storyline that is set circa BW/BW2 if it allowed for a truly metropolitan, urban, densely populated Kanto.

And we also need more info on Mew and Mewtwo. BTW, this is just a theory but what if Mewtwo is not actually man-made? Well, the Kanto one is, but what if the Kanto Mewtwo was an accident? What I mean is... Maybe all Mewtwo are just Mew born with birth defects and they aren't man-made, but rather ocurring in nature. This would explain why Mewtwo has two Mega Stones while Mew does not, since birth defects have clear genetic markers that separate those individuals from healthy ones. My theory is that Fuji and the Rocket scientists disfigured a Mew fetus with their experiments and it was born defective, which resulted in them naming it Mewtwo due to its "enhanced" appearance. That would be something cool to put into the game.
that'd be an interesting idea, though i feel like it would have to retcon just about everything we know about Mewtwo.

I'm pretty sure we'll be getting Kalos games centring around Zygarde next but I do like the idea of revisiting Kanto.

I quite like the idea of having Kanto sequels at some point in the future but wouldn't sequels in Kanto (if they were post the events of GSCHGSS) also need to include Johto as they are connected by routes, boat and the Magnet Train. So if Kanto was to receive development and expansion, then surely Johto would need to, at least partially, be expanded and developed.

I would like GameFreak to do this as it would be interesting to see how both regions have developed together but I also feel it would be unlikely for Gamefreak to do this. They could do it as joint sequels of both Kanto and Johto but I still think it would be unlikely.

What I'm trying to say is that it would be strange to do sequels of Kanto, say around BW/BW2 like it has been suggested, without including Johto. So would they make it a sequel of both or make an excuse why you can't visit Johto.

We got 5 days till the 11th.

Gonna put this out for safety precautions just in case something does show up in CoroCoro:

brace yourself.jpg

2) i would imagine that Dr./Mr. Fuji was the lead scientist of the project, working for Rocket.

In thinking about it, the games have still never made any connection between Mewtwo and Team Rocket. And while I am not a fan of retroactively inducting anime elements into the games, sequels *would* be a prime opportunity to do it.

And hell, throw Lugia's connection to the Winged Mirages in there while they're at it, I guess.

3) i don't think we'll ever find that out. i'm pretty sure in the first games you and Blue are the first champions of the Pokemon League. but i suppose that's something we'll never know, given how the structure of the Pokemon League is never really broken down. we never really know how Champions (and anyone else within the league structure) obtain their titles. we know there's a hereditary aspect, as Flannery and Janine inherited the gyms from parents, however there are others like Koga being promoted to the Elite Four, Juan receiving the Sootopolis Gym, Norman in Petalburg, which obfuscate League structure. we know that Alder was asked to be champion (political implications?) despite not wanting to, and we know that Iris becomes champion by defeating him, a title which N rejects despite defeating Alder. so to make a long story short (too late), i think it's just something that'll forever be left unanswered.

It is correct that Blue/Red were the first Champions of the Indigo League; at least, they were the firsts to hold the title in some time. Lance says after defeating him that you would have been the Champion right then, had Blue not already beaten you to it.

Although as far as the inherited positions go, I assume that those just work as they did with Iris, and that the current title holder can simply apply their descendant for the position, and then test them for official approval in a battle. That'd be my guess, anyway.

A bit more off-topic, but the really weird one to me is the dual Saffron Gyms and the almost feudal process by which Kiyo's Fighting-type Gym was shut down.

Last edited:
Z Beta Z Psy is my final call of names for the games, Kalos based, not Kanto

Edit: I am supporting Gen 6.5

Last edited:
After some thinking I'm actually warming up to the Gen 6.5 idea (where we get new Pokemon mid-generation). Generation VI is by no means over (alongside Z/XZYZ, we still need Kanto-in-the-Megaverse) but for some reason, Game Freak has decided to make all non-event Pokemon obtainable without the need of transfer within XY and ORAS. With the exceptions of Generations II and V, that has been the signal of the end of a generation in the past. And this is a personal opinion but I really want Generation VI to be longer after the measly content we got in Gen V. So I say that Game Freak releases a new batch of Pokemon mid-generation with the release of Kalos 2.0 and continue Gen 6.5 with a Kanto re-remake before moving on to Generation 7.

So basically Generation VI consists of XY and ORAS for its first half and Z/XZYZ and Kanto for its second half.

Oooooh... I hadn't thought of it splitting into two halves quite like that before. But, this whole idea could support getting both Z/XY2 and Kanto remakes. I had already written off Kanto (re-)remakes, even after being hopeful for a long time, but this would make even more sense, in some ways, than what I said before.

I supported the whole Gen 6.5, however, it only makes sense for the latter half to be just as big as the first, in a way. And we know GF would probably love to get Kanto in the Megaverse games.

In thinking about it, the games have still never made any connection between Mewtwo and Team Rocket. And while I am not a fan of retroactively inducting anime elements into the games, sequels *would* be a prime opportunity to do it.

And hell, throw Lugia's connection to the Winged Mirages in there while they're at it, I guess.
i've always just inferred that it must be a Rocket plan in the games given how Mewtwo is consistently tied to Team Rocket in all other media. i mean, what other organization stands to gain for the genetic recombination of an already powerful (in Gen I at least) legendary Pokemon to the definitive strongest Pokemon ever (at least in Gen I)?

It is correct that Blue/Red were the first Champions of the Indigo League; at least, they were the firsts to hold the title in some time. Lance says after defeating him that you would have been the Champion right then, had Blue not already beaten you to it.

Although as far as the inherited positions go, I assume that those just work as they did with Iris, and that the current title holder can simply apply their descendant for the position, and then test them for official approval in a battle. That'd be my guess, anyway.

A bit more off-topic, but the really weird one to me is the dual Saffron Gyms and the almost-feudal process by which Kiyo's Fighting-type Gym was shut down.
that's what i had thought, but i wasn't sure. it is so disappointing how we'll never really have a full grasp of how the League works and functions.

i've always just inferred that it must be a Rocket plan in the games given how Mewtwo is consistently tied to Team Rocket in all other media. i mean, what other organization stands to gain for the genetic recombination of an already powerful (in Gen I at least) legendary Pokemon to the definitive strongest Pokemon ever (at least in Gen I)?

Also Team Rocket are after the Masterball, and it's implied this is so they can catch Mewtwo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom