• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Generation VI: The Future

What will it be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't say that the little timeline thing and all of these other releases aren't persuasive pieces of evidence, but if we are indeed *not* going to have another Kalos game, and are instead just jumping straight into Gen. VII, then the obvious question is, where are all of these lingering Kalosian bits and bobs going to fall? Zygarde is obviously connected to Kalos's Legendary Pokémon, and to the region via its Pokédex entry, and we know that it is getting some kind of upgrade (the Pokédex-mentioned "secret power"). And there is Volcanion, the last new Kalos Pokémon, which is connected to southern Kalos, and of course the Eternal Floette, which is tied to AZ.

I guess that they could just reshuffle all of this stuff into Gen. VII - I mean, what do I know; maybe the plan originally *was* to have a third Kalos game, but then that plan changed and things had to be restructured - but that just seems a bit bizarre doesn't it? Starting off Gen. VII by focusing on one of the previous generation's cover mascot Pokémon, which appears at the end of that generation's Pokédex, all presumably taking place in a region that has nothing to do with said mascot (Hoopa, I swear to Lord Rayquaza, if you are at it again...).

Similar to what I predicted in the past, my guess is that Game Freak is going to split up Gen. 7 into two halves.

The first half of Gen. 7 is going to continue the story of Kalos, wrapping up its lore and having us start in Southern Kalos. Southern Kalos will introduce the first half of Gen. 7's Pokémon, which is hopefully at least 50, but there won't be any new starters there. Obviously, the Kaiju-Zygarde and Zygos/Blobmon/Bogger/Zyminions/whatever that green blob thing is called will be in that expansion. Game Freak will most likely program all of the Gen. 7 Pokémon species into the data of these Kalos games for the sake of letting us know this is all part of the same generation (but not any of the new Mega Evolutions they might be saving for the second half).

All in all, the first half of Gen. 7 will act more like Gen. 6.5 than the start of a new generation.

The second half of Gen. 7 will act more like a proper new generation, taking place in the Strange Souvenir region. The other half of Gen. 7's Pokémon will be available for capture there, hopefully with at least 50 more Pokémon, as well as being able to battle and trade with the past two Kalos games. An exception would be in regards to the new Mega Evolution batch, in which the situation will be comparable to how communication between XY and ORAS went.

When looking at both the poster with all of the first pair games that started a new generation and the Kaiju-Zygarde silhouette + Green blob thing, this idea seems to make a bit more sense than simply moving Zygarde to another region.

Thoughts on GO:

I imagine it'll be like Pokédex for iOS where you have to purchase other region's Pokémon. That's why there's nothing but Kanto Pokémon in the trailer, 'cause all these cheapskates can't be bothered to buy any other regions or Mega's. :p Speaking of, did they even mention the Kalos Expansion Pack yet?

The graphics in the commercial (as well as the little Pokéball Pin thing) are identical to that of the April Fool's game from a few years back. Makes sense, since apparently the company developing it was developed that as well. So I expect the graphics in the actual GAME to be just as 100% underwhelming.

Junichi Masuda had a very quick cameo sitting at a table, he looked adorable. <3 Though not as adorable as that biracial family where the mom was trading with her daughter. Aww.

And as awesome as this seems, I probably won't be getting it. Supporting this game is the same as telling GameFreak that it's ok to make the main series more like this. In a few short years, we might end up having the main series in this format. But I'll probably end up getting it if everyone else here does.

Last edited:
Wonder if the Zygarde form will be linked to Go then. They've announced this right before we're supposed to be getting details on the form in Corocoro.

I kinda liked the little advert for Go with the Route names and stuff, but I just don't see people going down backalleys and the like. I don't do any gaming on my smartphone, so doubt I'll ever try it out when it's released (did they give a date?). If there's some sort of connection features between Go and the main series I might try it though (but if it's riddled with microtransactions I won't be touching it with a barge pole).

Hopefully this big focus on a smartphone app means they'll drop the excuses for the console main games catering to a smartphone crowd. Hoping the big break we're going to have until the next main series game means it'll be chock full of features.

Is the day they'll try to actually release the next main series games on smartphones over the nintendo handheld closer than we think?
doubtfully. XY and ORAS are 1.7 GB and 2.5 GB respectively. Pokemon games are a bit too big to be on a smartphone right now, i think.

I can also understand why they'd play on the nostalgia factor to appeal to the general public rather than us real fans, but it's still frustrating... why show ONLY gen 1 Pokémon? They could at least showcase them alongside the newer gens... it's even more annoying that this is coming soon after XY that shoved gen 1 down our throats...
exactly that. Pokemon's brand recognition is likely to be the highest with Gen I stuff. let's not forget that most of the bigger characters in the trailer were Pikachu, Charizard, Blastoise, Gyarados, Snorlax, and Mewtwo. a good chunk of those are "iconic" and most people would be able to recognize them. most people probably wouldn't recognize or understand seeing Simipour, Arceus, Emolga, and Tyrantrum. it's smart marketing.

(also at this point i'm not sure which is more annoying: the rumored Genwunners or people that complain about them.)

doubtfully. XY and ORAS are 1.7 GB and 2.5 GB respectively. Pokemon games are a bit too big to be on a smartphone right now, i think.

Pokédex for iOS (when fully unlocked and loaded) is 1.6GB and Camp Pokémon is about the same if I recall. And since now all iPods start out with a default memory size of 16GB (though you can go bigger, with 32 and 64), it's a very real possibility that the main series could and would come to mobile devices.

Pokédex for iOS (when fully unlocked and loaded) is 1.6GB and Camp Pokémon is about the same if I recall. And since now all iPods start out with a default memory size of 16GB (though you can go bigger, with 32 and 64), it's a very real possibility that the main series could and would come to mobile devices.
No, it doesn't. Pokedex for ios is not a main game like x and y. The same logic can be applied to kirby, zelda ect...

Last edited:
Sigh

Am really losing faith in Pokemon. I understand they wanted to take a break from the main series, so 2015 was essentially a year of filler. But now its looking like 2016 will be too. PMSD, Pokken, Pokemon Go,

No doubt CoroCoro will focus on this game, and no new Z/X2Y2

Personally, I'm tired of waiting for Pokemon to reveal the next main series game, so I'm going to say, to Nintendo as a whole, that I will not buy anything from you, until we get those main series games.

Hopefully if enough people are bored of it, and ignore it, like a child trying to create attention, they will stop misbehaving, and finally get on with the main series.

Sigh

Am really losing faith in Pokemon. I understand they wanted to take a break from the main series, so 2015 was essentially a year of filler. But now its looking like 2016 will be too. PMSD, Pokken, Pokemon Go,

Personally, I'm tired of waiting for Pokemon to reveal the next main series game, so I'm going to say, to Nintendo as a whole, that I will not buy anything from you, until we get those main series games.

Hopefully if enough people are bored of it, and ignore it, like a child trying to create attention, they will stop misbehaving, and finally get on with the main series.

I highly doubt Kaiju-garde and blobby have anything significant to do with go. In-fact, I still believe corocoro will be focusing on what we'll soon know as the next main series games. Don't jump to conclusions, be patient for a few more days and see what corocoro has in store for us.

Not exactly moved by today's news, but it's not freakout worthy either.

You aren't getting the game fast enough so you want to encourage a boycott of all Nintendo products? Is this a serious reaction or one of those lame "I'm saying/doing it ironically" gags?

We just had a game less than 12 months ago for crying out loud. People these days...

Is it really so bad to have a bit of wait for the next main series games? Id rather them take their time making a good game and having Nintendo/TPCI release stuff like this filling the time. Im not even finished Alpha Sapphire yet(yeah yeah I know Im very slow at playing -_-) and Im not sure Im quite ready anyway, though I understand many people finished ORAS early and now want something new. I just want the next game to maybe be better with more time spent working on it.

I'm not saying I want the game in my hands now.

I'm just tired of Pokemon teasing. Constantly building hype, then slapping us in the face and say no wait til next month, then the next month comes and its a very loose interpretation of what they said they were going to do.

I dont necesarily want the games now (although it would be nice ;) ), id just like them to be revealed.

Similar to what I predicted in the past, my guess is that Game Freak is going to split up Gen. 7 into two halves.

The first half of Gen. 7 is going to continue the story of Kalos, wrapping up its lore and having us start in Southern Kalos. Southern Kalos will introduce the first half of Gen. 7's Pokémon, which is hopefully at least 50, but there won't be any new starters there. Obviously, the Kaiju-Zygarde and Zygos/Blobmon/Bogger/Zyminions/whatever that green blob thing is called will be in that expansion. Game Freak will most likely program all of the Gen. 7 Pokémon species into the data of these Kalos games for the sake of letting us know this is all part of the same generation (but not any of the new Mega Evolutions they might be saving for the second half).

All in all, the first half of Gen. 7 will act more like Gen. 6.5 than the start of a new generation.

The second half of Gen. 7 will act more like a proper new generation, taking place in the Strange Souvenir region. The other half of Gen. 7's Pokémon will be available for capture there, hopefully with at least 50 more Pokémon, as well as being able to battle and trade with the past two Kalos games. An exception would be in regards to the new Mega Evolution batch, in which the situation will be comparable to how communication between XY and ORAS went.

When looking at both the poster with all of the first pair games that started a new generation and the Kaiju-Zygarde silhouette + Green blob thing, this idea seems to make a bit more sense than simply moving Zygarde to another region.

Hmm, yeah, I guess I could see that. And it would dodge the whole "Do new Pokémon = new generation?" issue that people were discussing a while back. If Kalos Part Deux were to be the start of Gen. VII, then people wouldn't be scratching their heads and saying, "But wait, Z was Gen VI, but it introduced new Pokémon... but now we're introducing more in Gen. VII?"

Having the Strange Souvenir region be the setting of the second half makes a lot of sense as well.

I'm just tired of Pokemon teasing. Constantly building hype, then slapping us in the face and say no wait til next month, then the next month comes and its a very loose interpretation of what they said they were going to do.

In fairness, a lot of that "building hype" is us blowing things out of proportion or reading too far into them. But I mean, they promise new game announcements = Pokkén and GO are new games. They didn't ever say "new main series game" announcements. We just assumed. They didn't promise anything beyond more information regarding Kaijugarde and Zlug in Corocoro either, so even if we just get information on them but without a game announcement, they would still have delivered on what they promised.

Last edited:

This has more to do with your expectations. Every time there's an announcement, people are quick to instantly think it's main series related when that's mostly not the case. Unless it's explicitly stated or obvious (like with this months corocoro) you should assume it's nothing big.

I dont necesarily want the games now (although it would be nice ;) ), id just like them to be revealed.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll see a reveal very soon. Maybe even in a few days.

Hmm, yeah, I guess I could see that. And it would dodge the whole "Do new Pokémon = new generation?" issue that people were discussing a while back. If Kalos Part Deux were to be the start of Gen. VII, then people wouldn't be scratching their heads and saying, "But wait, Z was Gen VI, but it introduced new Pokémon... but now we're introducing more in Gen. VII?"
It wouldn't dodge the confusion at all. People wouldn't know whether to consider the Kalos games as part of the current generation or the beginning of a new one, and there would be even more confusion if Game Freak introduced another batch of new Pokémon in the Strange Souvenir region only a year later. And what would they do after that? If Kalos were to star in two generations, why wouldn't its successor? At which point the term generation, which this official timeline clearly reinforces, would lose all meaning.

Sigh

I highly doubt Kaiju-garde and blobby have anything significant to do with go. In-fact, I still believe corocoro will be focusing on what we'll soon know as the next main series games. Don't jump to conclusions, be patient for a few more days and see what corocoro has in store for us.
Crazy thing I saw, but Zyblob's head is the same shape of the map marker pokemon go+ is based on. I have no idea where thehell that can go on to,but it wouldbe insane if it actually is GO related.

Sigh

Crazy thing I saw, but Zyblob's head is the same shape of the map marker pokemon go+ is based on. I have no idea where thehell that can go on to,but it wouldbe insane if it actually is GO related.

Someone pointed this out to me on another site and whilst definitely cool, it's also shaped like google maps little pin thing, so is probably to do with that. You never know though.

EDIT: If the whole "Blobby is another set of eyes to monitor the ecosystem for zygarde" is true then there could be a reference like that.

Last edited:
It wouldn't dodge the confusion at all. People wouldn't know whether to consider the Kalos games as part of the current generation or the beginning of a new one

Sure people would, if they were to market the Gen. VII Kalos games as a new generation. Kanto got to be in two successive generations - this would just be that, more or less. Southern Kalos would be the "Johto," and would be adjacent to northern Kalos (the "Kanto").

and there would be even more confusion if Game Freak introduced another batch of new Pokémon in the Strange Souvenir region only a year later.

I think people could probably take it. They always promoted mid-generation forms as "new Pokémon" anyway. I think any of the poor bunnies who thought that Black and White Kyurem were meant to be considered new individual Pokémon are probably still okay. GF could take it a step further. In fact I know that many people in fan communities, after seeing the number of Pokémon that we got in XY, thought that perhaps there could have been more to come later, and rather a lot of them seemed to respond positively to the idea. Personally, I don't think that a "Gen. X.5" would even really be so devastatingly confusing; all I was saying was that if they kept the new Pokémon all confined to one generation, be it in one distributive burst or two, it would at least keep a clearer divide than introducing some halfway through Gen. VI and then some more at the start of Gen. VII would.

At which point the term generation, which this official timeline clearly reinforces, would lose all meaning.

The term "generation" is already very loosely defined, hence why nobody seems to be able to come to a complete agreement about what it means.

I'm not saying I want the game in my hands now.

This. It's the amount of time we've gone since Kaijugarde was revealed without any concrete information that's bothering me more than anything else, that's a lose-lose situation for both the fans and Game Freak because the longer they go without building on that, the more people will lose interest in it. If we didn't already know about Kaijugarde there wouldn't be as much complaints, before it was revealed I was actually expecting the next game in Fall 2016 but the fact that they showed off a new form so early implies that the games are coming out earlier. So if they weren't ready to announce the game until October/November they didn't need to show us Kaijugarde in July, they usually don't show off new forms immediately in the movie trailer so there was no reason to now.

Did everybody forget about the timeline diagram? We're clearly getting main series games in 2016.

Yes, I said games because:
1) There are still 2 more games that are compatible with the Kalos pentagon,
2) The timeline featured the first paired games of each generation along with their release years in Japan, which means 2016 will have something similar, and
3) Masuda said that Go will have connectivity features with the main series games, and I don't think GF will patch the feature into XY/ORAS.

Whatever main series titles will come out in 2016 won't be revealed this early. XY and ORAS were both announced during their release years. This month's CoroCoro should have more info on the blob, Go, and SMD, and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom